• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with outdoor patio furniture and weather

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
We are buying a house that has a large concrete patio. I would like to buy a fairly large furniture set (not a table for eating, as we will have an upper deck off the kitchen for that purpose). Since the patio area is not covered, I'm not sure what to buy. Do I buy a good quality expensive set, or do I buy a cheaper set and replace it every few years (at least the cushions anyway)?

Any brand/store/website recommendations?

We had a nice deck box from Costco that we used to store cushions when the weather was bad. It wasn't completely watertight but it did help protect them. My DH drilled a few holes in the bottom so that water would drain out instead of collecting in the box. The other option is to store them in the garage during long periods when you won't be sitting outside. You can get patio furniture covers but I've never tried them out to see how well they work.

I've always wondered about patio sets. Between the bird poop and the spiders, I don't know how people keep nice furniture outside.

I've always wondered about patio sets. Between the bird poop and the spiders, I don't know how people keep nice furniture outside.
I just hose mine down every once in a while.

I have had the same wrought iron patio set for years. My father-in-law bought it sometime in the mid 90s and passed it on to us about 10 years ago. I've started to notice a bit of rust lately. I could clean it and repaint it, but I think I'm ready for something different, so I may just buy something new next year.

ETA: I have never covered it or stored it for the winter. It had held up under rain, sun, snow, ice, and the occasional hail storm

Last edited:

We have a very large set of the high-ish end wicker-like furniture (I think its actually a heavy duty plastic). We have waterproof canvas covers for everything when its not in use and we store it in the shed over the winter when not in use.

I would recommend when you buy the cushions don't buy polyester as they won't hold up. You want to look for Solution Dyed Acrylic fabric for the cushions.

We got really heavy furniture made from recycled plastic- like the maintenance-free deck material stuff. You can get a lot of different colors. We get a lot of wind and I didn't want it tipping over/blowing around. (Fun fact: it was delivered while a tornado was coming through.) It's been great- had it for almost exactly 5 years and it looks as good as the day we got it. No maintenance/painting/refinishing, no loss of color, no cushions to get gross.

ETA: It is Breezesta brand recycled poly furniture. We got it from a local dealer.

I think patio furniture 100% depends on where you live. Case in point: we bought Trex decking because it was supposed to "hold up better" than traditional wood. However, our direct sun with triple digit summers made the decking fail rather quickly. In regards to furniture, I've gone through several sets of plastic pieces. But the old metal ones that I find at antique stores or yard sales are still just fine. I take the cushions off in the winter.

We bought a nice metal dining set and the faux wicker conversation pieces. Both have nice, thick removable cushions. Never again. Although they are good quality Sunbrella [?] fabric, I don’t feel comfortable leaving them outside all the time. I’m afraid they’ll get a moldy smell or look tired (or provide bird bathroom facilities), and since they cost a minimum of $50 (X 20) each, I don’t want to need to replace them too soon. So we bought two deck boxes and store them when we’re not outside. That means unpacking them and putting them out every time we want to use them. And we store them in the basement over the winter so they don’t become mouse food.

I think we use our nice deck a lot less than we would if we didn’t have to go through all that.

If you don't want to spend a ton, check Target they are clearing out their patio furniture for Back to School. Most things are marked down 70% off.

I have a mediocre set Ive had for years (Im in New England). I cover in the winter and its lasted forever.

Its not so much the furniture, but the cushions that need to be replaced time and time again. I typically bring the cushions in the house each night, but even with the sun beaming down, they fade quickly. My suggestion would be to buy light colored cushions unless you want to replace every year. I started with pretty ones, but now use practical!

We are buying a house that has a large concrete patio. I would like to buy a fairly large furniture set (not a table for eating, as we will have an upper deck off the kitchen for that purpose). Since the patio area is not covered, I'm not sure what to buy. Do I buy a good quality expensive set, or do I buy a cheaper set and replace it every few years (at least the cushions anyway)?

Any brand/store/website recommendations?

No matter the brand or quality, usually if you take care of it , it will last well. We purchased a Woodard wrought iron set 30 years ago and still using it. Dh has refinished it twice, but good as new.

16 years ago we purchased a heavy cast aluminum set with tile inserts in table with cushions from Target for downstairs patio area. We keep the cushions in a deck box 'all' the time when we aren't using them - never leave them in the elements. Clean the tables regularly and it's in perfect condition. They stay in the weather regularly otherwise - live in upper south so they get very hot weather plus ice and snow. Using original cushions. Just replaced our umbrella this Spring.

For @imbatman , we have had our decking for 18 years (not Trek, but another similar brand) and it has held up perfectly through very hot summers and icy snow winters. That's how they're advertised and so far they have been great.

First Buy a canopy that you screw or bolt to the ground -- if you are willing to spend get a permanent one otherwise one for around 200 sometimes more sometimes less that you can find a replacement top as you will be replacing the top every 2-4 years and that is if you put it up in the spring and take it down in the fall after and before bad weather.... if you are in a very sunny area than maybe less time... the frame will last you at least 2 tops maybe more.... whatever you can fit under it will not get sun beaten and last a lot longer otherwise you will be replacing your furniture every few years.... If you can find PVC which I never could it should last a while otherwise whatever it is made of today it will not last -- either the fabric will tear on sling or pillows or the cast (what they consider) will rust and no matter what you buy it has to be stored along with the canopy top. My advice find the end of year sales with 50-70% off and stock up... like a swing 70% off buy 3...

My DH purchased some furniture with cushions for our deck on a “wow, what a great price” whim. The cushions are Sunbrella fabric, but I’m not comfortable leaving them outside either. We get quite a bit of rain and it’s been very humid. We do have a box to store them in, but I usually bring them inside. We’re thinking about getting a SunSetter-type awning at some point which might help somewhat, but I suspect I’ll still be bringing the cushions into the house.

Walmart has some very reasonable patio furniture covers online. We have an L shaped sectional on our deck, and we bought the cover from Walmart meant to cover a patio table with chairs. It has worked out great.

I think a lot can depend on your climate but I would probably get nicer furniture. But if you had asked me 5 years ago I would have said less expensive furnture. Just different stages I think in my life.

For cushions if you get wind at all I would highly suggest getting ones that tie. Too many posts on social media around me about "I've lost my cushion" or "Is this your cushion". I would also suggest getting one that is designed to hold up to sun better and ones more mildew resistent (Sunbrella brand to name one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter