• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP with pricing for yard sale

czycropper

DIS Veteran
I haven't had a garage sale in over 12 years and I'm drawing a blank as far as pricing some things for our neighborhood yard sale. I'm pricing most of the household junk for $1.00 but the others I have NO idea - Here they are:

-womens shoes (mostly high end sandals)
-womens clothes
-porcelain decorative dolls
-knock-off purses
-lamps
-unfinished computer desk
-Longaberger baskets & some liners
-older fax machine
-Barbie dolls still in box
-Barbie bookcase/doll house

I really want to get rid of the stuff so I want to price it right but at the same time make a little money :)

TIA:thumbup2:

:confused3$3 for the purse?

Used shoes?? I don't think I would buy those. Plus that's such a LIMITED item- as the size is so particular. Maybe on craigslist you would have better luck for those.

Check on ebay for the baskets(yard sales typically less than what you can get on ebay so price accordingly)

Good luck!

I am sorry I am not an expert so I can't give you definite info. But I really want to encourage you to watch those dolls and look into them a little further before putting them out for sale. My MIL had lots of porcelein dolls that she wanted to sell years ago. As I was pricing stuff for the garage sale I struggled with a price to put on them. None of them were in mint condition and all were far from perfect and very dusty and aged. Several had been kept in glass doll boxes but they still felt the effects of time and poor housekeeping, being in a smoker's house filled with dogs, etc. Anyway, the morning before the sale a gentleman rang the bell and gave me the story about not being able to make it the next day would it be possible for him to take a quick look, etc. I had almost everything ready to go and although did not believe his story, needed to unload the stuff and was eager to make some sales. One of the few things I was still undecisive about were the dolls, but I had started to put some figures in my mind. This man went through all the tables (and we had tons of stuff - she was moving to a trailer from a five bedroom house!) and started making a pile of stuff. All of the dolls ended up in that pile. Most of the other items had stickers and he went through it and paid me sticker price with no arguements. Then the dolls he asked me what I wanted for them - I started to stutter and falter because I just could not for some reason commit to a price. He got annoyed with me and made an offer. The offer came to about 8 times what I had been thinking of pricing them, and I thought I was thinking high. Of course I said yes, and took the money quite happily. In hindsight I guess I should not have. I know with no uncertainty this man was a collector - by his strategy alone. And I know that he did not pay what those dolls were actually worth and left even happier then I was! But at the time, it worked out - I was thrilled to be unloading and he was thriled with the treasure he found.

So I just thought I would share my experience and encourage you to do a little homework with those if you really want to get what they are worth. I would think the same just might apply to those Barbies that you have!

Good luck with your sale and have fun!:goodvibes

Don't give up on those shoes yet...are they in good condition? I have sold lots and lots of used shoes and believe it or not they sell well. I have used all different prices from slippers at .50 to leather boots at $25.00. You'll never know until you give it a try!:)

Don't give up on those shoes yet...are they in good condition? I have sold lots and lots of used shoes and believe it or not they sell well. I have used all different prices from slippers at .50 to leather boots at $25.00. You'll never know until you give it a try!:)

:scared1: I surprised! You're right though it can't hurt to try to sell it - you never know.

I had a garage sale and we priced shoes and clothing depending on the condition between 3 and 5 bucks. We got that for most of them even the shoes!!! If you find they are not selling you can always go down on the price. We had a red dot. If they found an item with a red dot it was a $1.00 off. You won't believe how many people were lookin for items with a red dot on them. Some people even bought things the didn't need (red dot item) just to get the money off. Be creative and have fun. My daughter sold coffee and muffins in the morning and when it got warmer Snow cones. She made a lot of money.

:scared1: I surprised! You're right though it can't hurt to try to sell it - you never know.

I kind of think a lot of it has to do with the way you present your sale as a whole. I spend a lot of time preparing and pricing and it shows. I wash all of the clothes so they smell fresh, I mark everything with sizes and prices, everything is clean and very well organized. Shoes will be clean and have zip ties on them to keep them from being thrown around or mixed up. My sales just seem to look nice and I usually sell just about everything I have in fact often times after the first day we are all searching the house that night looking for a few extra things because it does not seem like we have enough left to sell. But a lot of sales you see things just thrown out there, dirty, dusty, not priced, laying on the ground - those just make me cringe and I do notice at the end of the day they stillhave a majority of their stuff. I know it makes for a lot more work for me - but I want to get the most I can and believe it or not I really enjoy the whole process - I know I am nuts!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter