Herb Garden

Lanshark

<font color=red>Peace be still<br><font color=purp
I would like to start a herb garden this year. Any suggestions? I have heard they are best to do in pots. I was thinking the usuals, Basil, Oregano, Chives, Mint(for my tea), tarragon.

Marcie

Lots of herbs are perennials and can be grown right in the ground they will come back year to year.

I have also seen herbs planted in half whiskey barrels.

They also sell stands with multiple shelfs for herbs.

I have mine right outside my kitchen door. I've choosen to plant my herbs right in the ground. I do have to replant basil and parsley yearly. Some years I have to replant rosemary. Other then that all my herbs return each year.

When I lived in Maryland I did my herbs in a window box. I went to a Nurserary in town and got plants already started. They did really well. I am trying them again this year and we shall see how they do in Pittsburgh!! I planted basil, oregano, sweet marjoram, peppermint and apple mint. I usually have a black thumb so we shall see!!

I grow all my herbs on my deck. :) I have rosemary, basil, chives, peppermint, spearmint, orange mint (not a real nice mint, I just leave it there because it's there, I don't use it) tarragon, thyme, sage, camomile, cat nip, flat leaf parsley and narcissus. Herbs are easy to grow, that's why I grow them. :p You'll love the smell of the area you planted them in after a rain storm. Good luck.

Yes growing herbs in containers is great. That way herbs that like to take off, like mint don't get out of control. At my moms we could never keep that mint down. As far as the other herbs, never had a problem keeping them under control.

Herb gardens are great, especially right outside the kitchen. You won't believe the difference in your cooking or baking (or just putting in drinks, like your tea), using fresh herbs.

I've always planted in-ground. I start with hardy perrenials: mint (you can plant these in a coffee can or pot and bury them in the ground so they don't spread too far), chives, thyme, sage. Then, every year I get different annuals: parsley, basil, chammomile. The parsley I left to seed 2 years ago, and the next year I had parsley all over the yard, it was terrific!

With the perrenial/annual mix, if one dies, I just replace it the next year. I still have a productive herb garden no matter what the winter has killed off.

:)

Enjoy planning!

I too grow my herbs in pots. I've got basil, chives, rosemary, mint & catnip. I definately would not advise growing mint in the ground. I t spreads too quickly to control. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter