• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here at the Carousel - SSR on the fly!

corinnak

100% Tag Free!
I have enjoyed some live trip reports here in the past so I thought I'd go ahead and put something up. We arrived by DME this afternoon and got our seemingly pre-assigned room. She said we'd be in the NEW BUILDING! Yes, the carousel, and there weren't any closer-in rooms at all until Tuesday. She was very appologetic and I allowed as how it must be pretty busy this weekend. In all the hoopla, I didn't get the member packet - so make sure when you check in to get that member packet! I went back for it later.

I wish we would have gotten something to eat right after we checked in, but no. Went to the room via Bell Services - very nice - and were expecting a Garden Grocer delivery later in the evening. However, being hungry right then, and having had pretty much just a yogurt parfait bought at the airport for lunch due to the timing of the nonstop flight, well, we were all pretty hungry and getting crabby. DH and the kids stayed in the room eating those spreadable cheese and crackers snack packs that I had brought along for just such an occasion while I ventured off to Artist's Palette with the stroller in hopes of bringing something back that people would eat.

It took about 10 minutes to get from our door to AP. Luckily, the weather is lovely. I imagine if it were blazing hot, I would have been a bit more on the miserable side. As it was, it was a beautiful walk. I was even able to get a cheese flatbread pizza for my son who doesn't like things on pizza.
We all thought the food was fine.

The delivery from Garden Grocer was superb - I didn't know that he would load the stuff right into the fridge for us! Very cool!

After dinner and the delivery, we four headed over to the High Rock Springs pool. I think it was 8:30 and the water slide was off. It seems so early! We had a nice time anyhow. The pool water was not bathwater warm, but it was tolerable and enjoyable. I don't complain too much if I don't wince with each additional inch I go into the water. There was a momentary thought of "Oh, that's not so warm" and then it was fine. The hot tub was nice, and full of young people!

The 2BR is just lovely, brand new seeming and very efficient. It feels small to us after OKW, but our friends walked in and said "IT'S HUGE!" Two silly maintainence issues (or in one case a non-issue) The little white part of the shower handle actually fell off while my 8 year old was showering. He said "Oh, oops!" Well, it seems there is a little screw on cap on the bottom to hold that white part on, and it must have come all the way unscrewed. We will be sure to get it fixed before we go.

The other thing is kind of funny - the table is apparently so new.....I noticed a manufacturer's sticker on the pedestal. Do I leave it there.....take it off....notify maintainence? Such a delemma!

OH - and the mugs seem to be DVC Fall 2006 mugs, for the mug watchers. The only have the big ones. I like the little ones that can fit in the car cup holder, so oh well. No mug for me, I guess.

Time to get to sleep - everyone else but me is asleep already, I think. I have overridden the AC for the evening so we won't wake up all warm and overheated. Tomorrow is Animal Kingdom!

Thanks for the undate, We were there the the 1st of January, Seems like along time ago right now. The weather was great when we were there also. About 80-85 or so. We were in the Padocks right over the bridge. If they have the Lemon chicken (chefs special) at the AP, I would suggest getting it. It ways one of the BEST flavored chicken I have had in a while. Hope you have a great trip. Steven

By the way are you going to AKL after your stay at SSR? If so that is pretty WEIRD!!! That is the same trip we did. 4 days SSR, 3 days AKL.

Thanks for the report on the Carousel! Sounds really nice.

Glad you and your family finally got to get something to eat there in the beginning! Thank goodness for those crackers and cheese. :)
ENJOY the rest of your visit home~
~DW

Sounds like a great start to your trip! How nice to have a brand new room.
I'm with you, I don't like the big mugs! I need them to fit in the car cup holder, too.

Have a great time!

I don't complain too much if I don't wince with each additional inch I go into the water. There was a momentary thought of "Oh, that's not so warm" and then it was fine. The hot tub was nice, and full of young people!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :lmao:

Have a great trip!!

I gauge pool temp just like you!!:rotfl2: If it is still cold by the time it hits my knees, I am outta there!:beach:

No fair telling me about "home" when I am sitting looking at rainy 35 degree weather out my window!

I have enjoyed some live trip reports here in the past so I thought I'd go ahead and put something up. We arrived by DME this afternoon and got our seemingly pre-assigned room. She said we'd be in the NEW BUILDING! Yes, the carousel, and there weren't any closer-in rooms at all until Tuesday. She was very appologetic and I allowed as how it must be pretty busy this weekend. In all the hoopla, I didn't get the member packet - so make sure when you check in to get that member packet! I went back for it later.

I wish we would have gotten something to eat right after we checked in, but no. Went to the room via Bell Services - very nice - and were expecting a Garden Grocer delivery later in the evening. However, being hungry right then, and having had pretty much just a yogurt parfait bought at the airport for lunch due to the timing of the nonstop flight, well, we were all pretty hungry and getting crabby. DH and the kids stayed in the room eating those spreadable cheese and crackers snack packs that I had brought along for just such an occasion while I ventured off to Artist's Palette with the stroller in hopes of bringing something back that people would eat.

It took about 10 minutes to get from our door to AP. Luckily, the weather is lovely. I imagine if it were blazing hot, I would have been a bit more on the miserable side. As it was, it was a beautiful walk. I was even able to get a cheese flathbread pizza for my son who doesn't like things on pizza.
We all thought the food was fine.

The delivery from Garden Grocer was superb - I didn't know that he would load the stuff right into the fridge for us! Very cool!

After dinner and the delivery, we four headed over to the High Rock Springs pool. I think it was 8:30 and the water slide was off. It seems so early! We had a nice time anyhow. The pool water was not bathwater warm, but it was tolerable and enjoyable. I don't complain too much if I don't wince with each additional inch I go into the water. There was a momentary thought of "Oh, that's not so warm" and then it was fine. The hot tub was nice, and full of young people!

The 2BR is just lovely, brand new seeming and very efficient. It feels small to us after OKW, but our friends walked in and said "IT'S HUGE!" Two silly maintainence issues (or in one case a non-issue) The little white part of the shower handle actually fell off while my 8 year old was showering. He said "Oh, oops!" Well, it seems there is a little screw on cap on the bottom to hold that white part on, and it must have come all the way unscrewed. We will be sure to get it fixed before we go.

The other thing is kind of funny - the table is apparently so new.....I noticed a manufacturer's sticker on the pedestal. Do I leave it there.....take it off....notify maintainence? Such a delemma!

OH - and the mugs seem to be DVC Fall 2006 mugs, for the mug watchers. The only have the big ones. I like the little ones that can fit in the car cup holder, so oh well. No mug for me, I guess.

Time to get to sleep - everyone else but me is asleep already, I think. I have overridden the AC for the evening so we won't wake up all warm and overheated. Tomorrow is Animal Kingdom!

I will be there soon 17 days (who's counting?) :cool1: and need to know about buses...How timely are they and if you didn't ride them, do they look plentiful??
Did you do the Magical Express? How long did it take to get luggage?

Did you walk to DTD and if you did how far is the walk from the Carousel building. Any views from that building or rooms that you would recommend? Any DTD noise? pixiedust:

Otherwise I am too excited to sleep!!!!

Thank you for your nice "live" report. We are booked at SSR for next october. I was wondering about the new Carousel section. What kind of view do you have? Are there water views there? Our last stay was in Congress Park and we loved it but the busses were always full when they got to us. The Carousel was always the first stop coming back from the parks so I'm thinking it might be a better chance to get a seat.

Big thanks to everyone who has left me a note. I appreciate them all! I will answer questions, but need to get to bed pretty soon here. We had an exhausting day at Animal Kingdom - we stayed much longer than advisable, I'm sorry to say. Crowds weren't too bad overall, and the weather was mostly nice though there was somewhat unexpected rain. I had ponchos in the bag anyhow for Kali River Rapids, so we were fine. Long day, though, with dinner at BOMA at the end of it! Well, no more days like that for us on this trip, I can say that! Tomorrow is Disney MGM and my family is only doing a half-day there.

I am almost ashamed of how today went in terms of lack of planning, coordination and forethought. My family got to the park early and made not the best use of the morning. I'm not even going to go into the misunderstandings and criss-crossing of the park that happened. In the end, we did have an overall fun day - longer than I would have preferred, but fun.

I rode in the front seat of Expedition Everest with a man whose two daughters didn't want to sit in the front row - they sat together in the second row. I had ridden once before towards the middle, but this was incredible. I could see the tracks flip in the cave, I saw the MGM hat from the torn up tracks. It was a great experience. Not a whole lot else of note about today except that DS3 was too short for Dinosaur and DS8 rode Dinosaur by his own choice, and in the outermost seat, and was pretty much petrified. I didn't really want DS3 to ride that ride as much as I wanted verification of his height in an offical Disney measuring station. If he were 40", I would have been taking him on some things in Epcot (Thursday) that I am sure he would love, but since he is 39 1/2", well, I made a reservation for him and me to go have breakfast with some princesses. He is a BIG, BIG Little Mermaid fan and likes Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty as well. I'd rather be visiting princesses with him than sitting around waiting for people to ride Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space. Whew - Tangent!

We also had a really nice dinner at Boma tonight - for the first time I actually liked the Zebra Domes - they were not the same as I have had before, but were creamy and delicious! Also, I'm ashamed to report that between being exhausted and busy with my friends and the four kids between us, I learned absolutely nothing about the upcoming AKV. Maybe I will ask around more later in the week when we are guests there. :yay:

OK - questions and answers! :)

By the way are you going to AKL after your stay at SSR? If so that is pretty WEIRD!!! That is the same trip we did. 4 days SSR, 3 days AKL.

Steven,
Yes we are and that IS weird! Though our trip is configured a little differently - we are doing 5 nights at SSR and 2 at AKL after our friends go home. Thanks for the tip on the chicken. My family is vegetarian, but I will mention it to my friends if they get a meal at AP this trip. :)

I will be there soon 17 days (who's counting?) :cool1: and need to know about buses...How timely are they and if you didn't ride them, do they look plentiful??
Did you do the Magical Express? How long did it take to get luggage?

Did you walk to DTD and if you did how far is the walk from the Carousel building. Any views from that building or rooms that you would recommend? Any DTD noise? pixiedust:

Otherwise I am too excited to sleep!!!!

Well, GinaMattsMom, your time is coming soon - hang in there!!!!

Busses: We have found the bus service to be absolutely fine so far. I will let you know how it goes as the week goes on, but we waited about 5-10 minutes this morning to go to AK. I think our friends waited a bit longer for the bus, but the didn't say that they were fearing their bus would never come, either. We crazily bussed back from dinner at AKL tonight via DTD, and hit it just right as in both cases, the next bus to arrive was the bus we wanted most! Just luck (and maybe a little pleading with the powers that be) in those cases, I am sure.

Also, this morning on the bus, I met a very nice couple who are also members - I didn't catch their names, but they own at Boardwalk with an add-on at SSR. It was fun to chat about their DVC experience and we even saw them in the park later in the day. That's a thing I love about riding the bus - you meet some really nice people that you otherwise wouldn't have any cause to talk to. Well, MEET might be too strong a word since I never seem to learn their names, but it does sometimes make for a sort of community feeling in any case.

We all took the Magical Express and while we were perhaps too punchy to be keeping strict track of how long it took the bags to catch up to us, I think it was right around 3 hours after landing for each set of lugage to arrive. We just love the ease with two young kids of having someone else worry about collecting the luggage and getting it to our room. I know other people are more efficient, but with us and gathering luggage and renting a car and installing car seats and doing our own navigation, we would be lucky to have our luggage to the room 2 hours after landing on our own, maybe 2 1/2 depending on how well the rental car thing goes, so 3 hours for DME seems pretty good. YMMV, of course.

My friends walked to DTD last night, and back. According to their GPS calculations, it's roughly a mile and a half each way, though they freely admit to having gotten lost. These are the farthest rooms from Downtown Disney, and you could catch any park bus (Not a Downtown Disney bus - they follow a different route and leave, I believe, after tha Paddock stop) to take you to the Congress Park stop and walk from there.

These Carousel buildings do seem to have water view rooms available. We have a parking-lot view room. However, I have always said that view is not that important to me, and so far, that has been true. I have not been "spoiled" by an incredible view from a DVC resort yet, though, so I should maybe reserve judgment until I get a view of something to compare with. The water here is very pretty, and the carousel gazebo is also extremely cute. I will take and post a picture of this hopefully tomorrow. Whenever I think of it, it's always dark out and there are people using the barbecue grills. Yes, tomorrow on the way to the bus - must take photo of the cute gazebo. It really does look like a carousel, too!

There is NO noise from DTD over here - we are too far away. There is a tiny bit of road noise from Buena Vista Drive, but it doesn't bother us. Truly, it is nothing as to the Bonnet Creek road noise you get in the farthest corner studio at Old Key West!

Thank you for your nice "live" report. We are booked at SSR for next october. I was wondering about the new Carousel section. What kind of view do you have? Are there water views there? Our last stay was in Congress Park and we loved it but the busses were always full when they got to us. The Carousel was always the first stop coming back from the parks so I'm thinking it might be a better chance to get a seat.

That is the biggest advantage I see to this section - the bus stop is first for everything except Downtown Disney - it was the 3rd for the DTD route tonight, after CP and The Springs. We tend to be at the bus stop pretty early in the morning and avoid the EMH parks, so I might not have the truest indication, but it is great to be the first on the bus in the morning, and I anticipate it will be great to be the first off the bus when coming home from a park. I think I probably covered your views question above. There is a really pretty water feature in this section with a fountain that is lit in the evenings. I will see about getting some better photos of this section for you! :)

Well, I'd better get off to bed. Tomorrow, another exciting adventure awaits!

Thanks for the report! You are making me so jealous as we are having a major snow storm here in Maine. Hope the rest of your vacation is magical. And yes, as you know, SLOW DOWN! :flower3: You are DVCers now...that means you know you will be coming back again and again! :)

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you had a busy day! I'm SOOO anxious to ride EE again!

We were in the Carousel ourselves last month. I actually could have waited until later to get a room but told the CM it didn't matter. That is quite a hike isn't it? I did enjoy the walks though and it was convenient to a bus stop. It is a very lovely area too.

We were in 7536 at first but the air conditioning didn't work so they moved us to 7532.

Have a great trip,
Lori

That is the biggest advantage I see to this section - the bus stop is first for everything except Downtown Disney - it was the 3rd for the DTD route tonight, after CP and The Springs. We tend to be at the bus stop pretty early in the morning and avoid the EMH parks, so I might not have the truest indication, but it is great to be the first on the bus in the morning, and I anticipate it will be great to be the first off the bus when coming home from a park. I think I probably covered your views question above. There is a really pretty water feature in this section with a fountain that is lit in the evenings. I will see about getting some better photos of this section for you! :)

Thanks corinnak. I would love to see photos of The Carousel section. Your TR is making me "homesick"! I can't wait to go back.

I love that you're actually there RIGHT now!! It's making me feel "homesick", too! If it's not too much trouble for you, we'd LOVE pictures!

I think of you as I watch the snow fall and the ice accumulate on my steps, here in Southern Maine!

It sounds like you are having a great time. I too am homesick and wish we were also there. Can't wait to stay at Saratoga Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter