Here is a strategy: Dont bring all of your belongings into the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
Just came back from a great WDW vacation. I normally go to the parks for a PPO breakfast, but apparently they are letting any visitor into the park early, up to a certain point, not all attractions, even without a dining reservation.

I assume this is why I never noticed before because I always get there super early and dont wait in line due to my ressie. But this time it was abundantly clear that people bring WAY to much stuff into the park. Going through security is a nightmare. There are families with 2 - 4 stuffed backpacks, people with duffel bags STUFFED. If it were some loose items that the guards could move around, that would be great, but standing in line while people have to empty their bags, then repack them, is so annoying. And the stuff I saw....you dont need 1/2 that stuff. Several changes of clothes, Bathing suits, extra shoes, blankets ?? It was 90 degrees out! Drove me crazy to see the babies covered in blankets too. That is no way to keep the sun off of them...practically suffocating.

Uggghhh.....

it's been insane how many people bring what looks like half their house into the park each day. They also end up being the ones really bickering and someone has to skip riding things because they have too much stuff.. It's just a theme park, not a 10 day safari.

EDIT: I agree with at least trying bagless. Some people you do need some other things and it's important. Others are just planning for way to many problems that never come up.

Last edited:
Ever since I started going bagless it's been so much easier. Sunglasses on, phone in pocket, camera in another pocket, and magic band and I am good to go.
In the cooler months, a hoodie on or tied around my waist and I am set. I've never wished I had taken anything else.
I think the next time I will carry a bag will be when I have grandkids, which looks to be a decade away at this point in my life.

I agree - my phone, my id, my magicband, sometimes glasses or sunglasses

I rarely regret not taking something to the park - I have in years past, regretted taking things to the park!! I now will even deal with the chilly mornings that sometimes come at Disney - I don't even want to be holding my jacket when it get hotter as the day goes on.

Granted, our style is park, break, park - which means if I don't have something, I'm only without it for a few hours. And, our kids are adults and carry their

Honestly, it is none of your business what other people carry. You have no idea why they have what they have. My dad is older, on blood thinners, and so he is cold all of the time. So while a sweatshirt would seem weird to you when it is 80 degrees out, it would be necessary. And there are days where my feet kill me, so I bring a spare pair of shoes to the park. Part of the joy of having arthritis in both ankles. And a bad knee.

How about you be happy for yourself that you can go without a bag or with minimal stuff? I will never be able to go bagless due to my meds.

Why does it bother you? You'll be in your separate bagless line? We just take one between us, my partner is diabetic so we have all his stuff, my daughter is fair red head so she needs cream, cap etc, and I bring a couple of bits to spruce myself up before dinner... but why should any of that bother you?!

Add in all the people who bring strollers for their 10-year-old because they need someplace to store all that "stuff"! That always amazes me! "No, he doesn't really NEED to stroller but then where do I put everything?"

I do not think the poster is talking people bringing a normal amount of things in a bag to the park

There are people who bring in tons of stuff to the park, and it is not fun to be stuck behind them on the bag-check line

Maybe Disney needs to make 'express small bag lines' popcorn::

Who cares? When my daughter was younger, we used to take different princess dresses for her to change into for meeting them.

So sorry I slowed your entrance to the park.

Here's how to appropriately deal with it if it bothers you so much...be 1st in line.

Normal is a relative term as is what is considered what is way too much stuff. I don't think anyone enjoys the security lines but I'm not going to decide what a family I don't know needs or doesn't need. I do my best to scope out the shortest line or avoid it all together. Just like the grocery store.

Can it be frustrating to be in a slow line? Sure, but I try to remind myself patience is not one of my best qualities and nobody is trying to slow me down.

I'm always stuck behind the people with the double stroller and the 2 back packs that are over stuffed, with a small duffel bag under the stroller. I have one teeny little bag, all open as I get to the table area. I had one guard motion me forward, to go before the family that really should have been next. He just looked at the family and said 'this will take 20 secs, thanks for your patience.'. And it did....and the funny thing is the dad looked at his wife, and said "must be nice to go with such a small bag, right hon?". Pretty sure he was making an editorial comment!!!

I used to dread the Epcot lines, but since they started moving the stroller families over to the far sides, the lines moved much faster. I hope they keep that process.

A stroller is a great way to wheel around a lot of stuff with little effort. The downside is that it doesn't force you to think more carefully what to being to the park. Most people simply don't plan properly, so they just throw everything in a stroller and go to the park.

Sorry, but thats life. People bring what they think they need. I'm sure that lots of people will carry less stuff on day 5 of their vacation compared to day 1, especially newbies. Its pretty hard to pack light with little kids. It just is what it is.
On our next trip, we'll have 3 kids (5yo, 2yo, and 2 months). We'll have the double stroller (which I'm sure multiple people will complain about its size and mutter to themselves that we should have two cheap umbrella strollers instead), a bag of stuff that stays in the stroller, a backpack for my husband, and a small shoulder bag for me. I'm sure we'll get nasty looks from people who think we have too much stuff with us. I don't care. A change of clothes for each kid, necessary diaper bag things for the baby, sunscreen, hats, ponchos, snacks, water bottles, etc. It adds up.

Maybe next time you should look at those families with lots of stuff, smile, and think "I'm glad I don't have to carry around all that" and move on with your day.

Could these be people who came to the parks directly from the airport (or the reverse) and need their carry-on bag with them? I know for the local high school senior class trip the kids had to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter