Here is why Universal is a better value than Disney (get those flames ready!)

Haha. I mean I love Universal Orlando and I probably wouldn't mind as much if we weren't on a tight budget... and it also might be because I'm in the property management business and have my pet peeves...

I dislike rates that are not all inclusive. Yeah not everyone brings a car, not everyone wants a fridge or microwave... but when you have a nice hotel like that I just feel like it should come with all of those things as well as parking and internet.

We try and keep our food budget down by eating breakfast and either lunch or dinner in the room- but at $15 a piece for microwave and fridge per day it saves me nothing. Also, when we travel with our dogs we require a fridge and microwave (they're elderly and have meds and are picky eaters :rotfl2:) so we pay $30 extra bucks a day to bring them.

Anyways I hate rates that are not all inclusive. If they would up the fees $5 for the masses they could skip nickel and diming others and provide their guests with a more convenient stay. Thats my rant for the day thanks for listening

P.S.Also wanted to say that refils were 79 cents when we went in March and September last year.

You may take some heat for this, but I understand what you are saying. I am reminded of the commercial for I think that it is Holiday Inn, which says "The best surprise is no surprise." People willing to bite the bullet and pay up for a nice vacation can get frustrated with the fine print so to speak. I understand.

I was talking to the lady who sells the "Express Passes" next to where I photograph Universal guests coming in the front gate. She is embarassed to ask people buying the passes to pay another $5 each for the plastic things to wear the passes around their necks, but she is required to ask. I would like to have a little family picture included in the ticket price too so that no one is missing from the family picture later, as is the case for guests photographing each other with their own cameras; but I don't make the rules at Universal Studios. It is just a job so I had better hush around there until I get something else, but I do think that the continuous hustle is rather rude. I say this even though I am one of the hustlers.

I would rather be nickel and dime then to pay for everything all in one. If you don't need a certain thing why should I have to pay for it.:thumbsup2

You may take some heat for this, but I understand what you are saying. I am reminded of the commercial for I think that it is Holiday Inn, which says "The best surprise is no surprise." People willing to bite the bullet and pay up for a nice vacation can get frustrated with the fine print so to speak. I understand.

I was talking to the lady who sells the "Express Passes" next to where I photograph Universal guests coming in the front gate. She is embarassed to ask people buying the passes to pay another $5 each for the plastic things to wear the passes around their necks, but she is required to ask. I would like to have a little family picture included in the ticket price too so that no one is missing from the family picture later, as is the case for guests photographing each other with their own cameras; but I don't make the rules at Universal Studios. It is just a job so I had better hush around there until I get something else, but I do think that the continuous hustle is rather rude. I say this even though I am one of the hustlers.

You can ask a TM to take a photo of you using your own camera. They are more than happy to do it.

Funny thing about the 85c refills is that they're valid on the day of purchase only but as a guy behind the counter said to me yesterday, they've no way of knowing when you purchased the mug.

i think we are talking about two different things.

if you buy the beverage deal, that cup is valid for the day you bought it.
but, most of the places will honor it for the refill cost, after the purchase date for the rest of your trip.

the beverage deal is buying the specific cup and it is good for free refills all day long.

the mugs that can be bought in the parks have a life time refill policy.
bring the mug back on your return trips and get refills at the discount price.

i have taken my old dueling dragon/ice mug back on my vacations for years..

i get the soda at a refill cost and the discount by showing my ap or aaa card.

You can ask a TM to take a photo of you using your own camera. They are more than happy to do it.

I was taking pictures of people with their own cameras and was instructed to stop. One of my co-workers broke, or was at least accused of breaking, someone's camera. The customer wanted a brand new camera. It is a matter of liability.

I was taking pictures of people with their own cameras and was instructed to stop. One of my co-workers broke, or was at least accused of breaking, someone's camera. The customer wanted a brand new camera. It is a matter of liability.
Maybe your rules are different since you are with a third party but Universal team members are encouraged to take pictures for guests. They are even given some practice during orientation. So feel free to ask any team member to take a picture for you.

but I do think that the continuous hustle is rather rude.

I have never.....ever felt "hustled" at Universal at any time, never mind continuously??

I was taking pictures of people with their own cameras and was instructed to stop.

We just got back last week and over the 2 weeks we visited the parks nearly every day, we asked both Universal TM`s and the photographers who take your pictures as you enter all the time to take pictures of us with our own camera....and were never refused. They were happy to do so. On 2 occasions they offered to take our picture so all 3 of us were in it. They didn`t seem worried to be doing something wrong. I hope no-one got in trouble.

I didn`t know till recently the photographers were third party employees as I think most people see someone working Universal and therefore assume them to be totally employed by Universal.

I have never.....ever felt "hustled" at Universal at any time, never mind continuously??

We just got back last week and over the 2 weeks we visited the parks nearly every day, we asked both Universal TM`s and the photographers who take your pictures as you enter all the time to take pictures of us with our own camera....and were never refused. They were happy to do so. On 2 occasions they offered to take our picture so all 3 of us were in it. They didn`t seem worried to be doing something wrong. I hope no-one got in trouble.

I didn`t know till recently the photographers were third party employees as I think most people see someone working Universal and therefore assume them to be totally employed by Universal.

Well, we are in Universal Studios uniforms so Universal Studios wants to create the impression that we are their employees.

What happened with the camera was that a co-worker apparently dropped one and the "guest" went to "guest services" expecting a new one and was very angry when she did not get one. Universal Studios gets half of the money from the sale of our pictures but takes no responsiblity for us, which is a thorn in the side of "third party workers" subject to Universal rules but without Universal perks. A couple of my co-workers have talked about a class action to gain recognition as Universal employees since we are in their uniforms and subject to the same rules as Universal employees. I just want to go along to get along out there because I like group harmony so I shall do whatever makes the group happy.

I think Universal might be interested in buying out my "third party" employer if they were aware that the current group of photographers have sent sales to an all-time high so that might be a better angle to play anyway. The original owner died last year so the children are in charge of the business, and three-quarters of the time it is during the rein of the second generation that family businesses fail. The children might be willing to sell and split the money three ways since they are getting up in years. There is a high turnover rate among the photographers with my having seen a bunch of people come and go and come and go and come and go in the five months that I have worked there. It might be in the best interests of Universal Studios to keep a steady crew since "guests" come flying through the turnstyles and then ask the photographers for information about Universal Studios, City Walk, etc. instead of having "guests" questions met with dumb stares of always-changing people who don't work for, and therefore have no loyalty to, Universal Studios.

Me either... a found that comment a little weird, like there are people jumping out of alleys trying to get you to shoot craps with them or play the shell game.

I think that the Disney fastpass system is fine if used correctly. I'm not sure that it has much of an effect on standby lines but I wouldn't doubt it.

It is perfectly fine! The Fastpass lines are never a problem for us. We get our pass, ride a nearby ride, and come back over to the ride we got the pass for as soon as we are done with the other ride.

Another reson that you say Disney's suck is because that might be that the rides are spread out. It's more convienient for us because we know how to use it. We can get a pass for Spalsh or Big Thunder Mountain, go to Country Bear Jamboree or Tom Sawyer, and come back later.

Disney spreads their rides out because the rides, when put in the right places, actually work with the theme. Universal's sections can have good themeing and placement, but since most of the rides are very close, it's easy to be done with both in a day. That's why I find it to be a bad choice to stay on property there because you can be finished with both parks in a day. For Disney, their parks take longer, whcih means you need more time to do them, which get's you to stay longer. Even when we stay at Disney for a weekend, we get all our favorites done in the time we have.

I'm not geting into the whole debate because they just drag on and on, but I do have to admit that we can eat a Disney for a reasonable price, and still get good food. We don't HAVE to do table service, we've never actually done one, but still, we don't STARVE!

One more thing, I gave to admit that the Universal attractions seem like they might be attractive for kids and teens, but I don't see many adults haveing fun unless they really like most of the stuff there. Other than that it seems more directed at Teens and adults in their 20's, 30's

My parents take us to Disney every year and they still have fun. There are more things to do for the younger set, and there is plenty for the older set as well. Parents can enjoy it because it's got much of the things they grew up with, while Universal is more of a modern stuff park. Once a lot of their rides grow out of popularity, they might still be visited, but not as much as Disney because people have grown up with the stuff it offers. Not only that, but Disney has more characters walking around and kids love Disney a whole lot more.

The rides at Universal are close together but if you go to US/IOA during the summer/spring months you can NOT do both parks in one day. I have seen the ride lines be 90 minutes. We stay onsite for the experience...but to be able to do both parks in the busy months, you will need 3-4 days.

My husband and I have been going to US/IOA and we are now both 40. WE LOVE US/IOA almost as much as our kids do. So much fun!!!! My kids were 4 and 6 on our first visit and had a blast!

I will say for my husband and I we love both Disney and Universal. When we go to Disney we know we need 2 days (when we get home) to recover from fatigue. Our children are theme park kids. They love to go go go! So we are exhausted when we get home. When we go to US/IOA we come home relaxed and refreshed! We really have a much more relaxing vacation. Nothing wrong with either....just depends on what one prefers.

It is perfectly fine! The Fastpass lines are never a problem for us. We get our pass, ride a nearby ride, and come back over to the ride we got the pass for as soon as we are done with the other ride.

Another reson that you say Disney's suck is because that might be that the rides are spread out. It's more convienient for us because we know how to use it. We can get a pass for Spalsh or Big Thunder Mountain, go to Country Bear Jamboree or Tom Sawyer, and come back later.

Disney spreads their rides out because the rides, when put in the right places, actually work with the theme. Universal's sections can have good themeing and placement, but since most of the rides are very close, it's easy to be done with both in a day. That's why I find it to be a bad choice to stay on property there because you can be finished with both parks in a day. For Disney, their parks take longer, whcih means you need more time to do them, which get's you to stay longer. Even when we stay at Disney for a weekend, we get all our favorites done in the time we have.

I'm not geting into the whole debate because they just drag on and on, but I do have to admit that we can eat a Disney for a reasonable price, and still get good food. We don't HAVE to do table service, we've never actually done one, but still, we don't STARVE!

One more thing, I gave to admit that the Universal attractions seem like they might be attractive for kids and teens, but I don't see many adults haveing fun unless they really like most of the stuff there. Other than that it seems more directed at Teens and adults in their 20's, 30's

My parents take us to Disney every year and they still have fun. There are more things to do for the younger set, and there is plenty for the older set as well. Parents can enjoy it because it's got much of the things they grew up with, while Universal is more of a modern stuff park. Once a lot of their rides grow out of popularity, they might still be visited, but not as much as Disney because people have grown up with the stuff it offers. Not only that, but Disney has more characters walking around and kids love Disney a whole lot more.

Darn, does this mean since I and my wife are 43 and 41 respectively we can no longer enjoy IOA or Universal Studios? Sorry, but that statement is about as true as saying Disney can only be enjoyed by children and parents of preteens. Last year I spent 5 days at the Universal parks and still wished I could have stayed longer. This is also about as much time as I am willing to visit WDW.
The theming at the Uni/Ioa is top notch and I challenge anyone to say WWOHP is any less imersive and impressive as the best WDW has to offer. Also, fastpass is fine but not without its flaws. Most of the time it does help in allowing one to ride with very minimum wait time Howevr,I have still had to wait over 30 minutes before in the fastpass line of more than one attraction at WDW. Maybe I am the exception but I love both the WDW parks as well as Uni/IOA and can enjoy one without the need to bash the other.

Darn, does this mean since I and my wife are 43 and 41 respectively we can no longer enjoy IOA or Universal Studios? Sorry, but that statement is about as true as saying Disney can only be enjoyed by children and parents of preteens. Last year I spent 5 days at the Universal parks and still wished I could have stayed longer. This is also about as much time as I am willing to visit WDW.
The theming at the Uni/Ioa is top notch and I challenge anyone to say WWOHP is any less imersive and impressive as the best WDW has to offer. Also, fastpass is fine but not without its flaws. Most of the time it does help in allowing one to ride with very minimum wait time Howevr,I have still had to wait over 30 minutes before in the fastpass line of more than one attraction at WDW. Maybe I am the exception but I love both the WDW parks as well as Uni/IOA and can enjoy one without the need to bash the other.

totally agree with you.
Universal is kewl...........

never can get enough of the parks.

i do both of them each year on a split stay.
there is something for everyone at both theme parks.
( darkside and motherland )

i always have to laugh when i read posters say, universal is only for the kids and teens..............

you can see how it really is if you go to the darkside parks.

and this notion that the motherland is only for families..........:laughing:

like i said, i do both parks and see all ages of peeps having fun.
age is not a requirement...

totally agree with you.
Universal is kewl...........

never can get enough of the parks.

i do both of them each year on a split stay.
there is something for everyone at both theme parks.
( darkside and motherland )

i always have to laugh when i read posters say, universal is only for the kids and teens..............

you can see how it really is if you go to the darkside parks.

and this notion that the motherland is only for families..........:laughing:

like i said, i do both parks and see all ages of peeps having fun.
age is not a requirement...

We took my parents about 10 years ago. My then 75 year old mother LOVED the Back to the Future ride!

Also, my son always preferred Universal to Disney, even when he was a wee lad.

Went to Universal on Sunday. Now, I had already been there on the Thursday before to experience FJ, so my focus was on a greater adventures.

Universal - posted opening time - 9:00 AM, actual opening time - 8:40 AM
Disney - posted opening time - 9:00 AM, actual opening time - 9:00 AM

Fast pass system - Universal - huge, gigantic rip off that no one actually buys so the Fast Pass riders rarely upset the stand-by line wait times. This keeps the stand by lines moving at a regular pace.
Fast pass system - Disney - Free to all and hugely impacts stand by times, leading to vastly longer wait times for everyone. Highly unfair system that actually pisses people off (i witnessed an ugly moment at SM, see my posting on the Disney boards).

So, I was at Universal for 4 1/2 hours:
2 Rides on Rip Ride Rocket
2 Rides on the Mummy
1 Simpsons Ride
1 Men in Black
Not even 10 AM yet.
Walked over to IOA
2 Rides on Fire (refuse to call this Dragon Challenge)
1 Ride on Jurassic Park (Yeah, it was open)
1 Ride on Spiderman
1 Ride on Dudley
3 Rides on Popeye (okay, I love this ride)
1 Ride on Hulk to help drying.

It was now 12:30, 15 rides in about 4 hours in 2 theme parks.

The next day (a MOnday, after SWW weekend)

Park openned at 9 and it was already a madhouse.

1 Ride on Toy Story Mania
1 Ride on Star Tours
it was already 10 AM. I had a fast pass for Star Tours at 11:35
4 More rides on Star Tours
1 Muppets
It was now 12:30 and I had 6 total rides, only about 1/3 of Universal. TOT was over an hour wait and everything else also was really long. I did only one park and far fewer rides. That darn fast pass generally slows things down, terribly.

Not saying the Universal is better, just saying that I felt I got more for my money from them than at Disney.

Dolby1000

that is why I am only going on an off month...and I can;t tell you when that is..hahaha!

Let's put it this way...when they zig..I zag!

and BTW, not sure about your hypothesis on the a speedy pass at UNiversal ( name?) but ah, it worked wonders for me..and was worth it! Actually it was free because I was staying onsite...

anywho...I love universal...it reminds me of WDW in 1974...when the whole world had not visited it yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter