Here it is - the OFFICIAL 2014 READING GOAL CHALLENGE THREAD

Hello DIS readers! I'm happy to have found this thread. I am a DIS fan and wife to an author. You can find his book on amazon or goodreads both electronic and print copies. Some chapters were written on the verandah of a Disney Cruise ship! However, the book itself is more of a thriller/humor/detective/monster novel. If there are any male readers out there I will say its kind of a "guy" book but I liked it too. Its called The Bone Eaters by Keith Faigin. Give the sample a try, read the description, and hopefully enjoy!

Thanks, I look forward to following this thread for reading suggestions and I joined the goodreads group as well.

What were your thoughts on these? I have one on my wish list and I know I've enjoyed some of the same books as you in the past.

With Daisy Fay, it is kind of a complex book. It is funny, shocking and sad. I was hooked. It was her first book so it is really different from her other books that are more heartwaming.

On the All-Girl, I was hooked on it due to the fact that two of the characters (Dena and Sookie) are from the book "Welcome to the World Baby Girl" and are mentioned in another one of Flagg's books. The story of Sookie and the truth she tries to discover (I won't ruin it for you) seemed to drag on until a little twist was thrown in at the end that I didn't see coming. It is an interesting book though and I would recommend it. I am kind of on a Flagg kick right now.

Undead and Unemployed
MaryJanice Davidson

Being royally undead isn't all it's cracked up to be--there are still bills to be paid. Luckily, new Queen of the Vampires Betsy Taylor lands her dream job selling designer shoes at Macy's.

But when a string of vampire murders hits St. Paul, Betsy must enlist the help of the one vamp who makes her blood boil: the oh-so-sexy Sinclair. Now, she's really treading on dangerous ground--high heels and all.

I have mixed feelings about this book.

I really like the characters and the premise of the series. This book fell short though. LITERALLY. This was a very quick read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Threeboysmom...Could you up my goal to 35? I've been reading a lot more than usual and some of the books I have are fairly short and will be read quickly. .:goodvibes

Ok I had to lay the Virgin Suicides book to the side. I can't seem to get into it. Will try again later.

#21 - Escape from the Furnace: The Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith

from Amazon:
Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison.
Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world.

This is a young adult/teenage fiction book. I had thought my son my like to read it but it is fairly violent and imagery is disturbing. The story is interesting. Its a prison built for violent teenagers ---- with a life sentence. Some are guilty of horrendous crimes while others have been framed. Each one must learn how to cope with living in the furnace ---- escape isn't an option. This book was good so I'm planning on purchasing the 2nd one in the series: Solitary.

Books 11-20, my goal is 100

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
Though a small town at heart, Lawrenceton, Georgia, has its dark side-and crime buffs. One of whom is librarian Aurora "Roe" Teagarden, a member of the Real Murders Club, which meets once a month to analyze famous cases. It's a harmless pastime-until the night she finds a member killed in a manner that eerily resembles the crime the club was about to discuss. And as other brutal "copycat" killings follow, Roe will have to uncover the person behind the terrifying game, one that casts all the members of Real Murders, herself included, as prime suspects-or potential victims.

I liked it alot, kept me guessing until the end. Gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.

Island Girls by Nancy Thayer
Three estranged step sisters return to Nantucket to spend a summer together as a requirement to collect their inheritance.
3 stars

Sex, Lies and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson
3 stars
He says he's a plumber, while Lucy claims she's a nurse! She's really a mystery writer, dating online while researching her next book. Hey, everyone lies a little, don't they? But Quinn's really an undercover cop hunting down a serial killer, and he sees Lucy as his top suspect.

Everyday by David Levithan
3 Stars

Two of a Kind by Susan Mallery
3 stars
Typical romance

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
4 stars

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
2 Stars

The Kill Artist by Daniel Silva
3 stars

In the Woods by Tana French
3 stars

Arranged by Catherine McKenzie
1 star

With Daisy Fay, it is kind of a complex book. It is funny, shocking and sad. I was hooked. It was her first book so it is really different from her other books that are more heartwaming.

On the All-Girl, I was hooked on it due to the fact that two of the characters (Dena and Sookie) are from the book "Welcome to the World Baby Girl" and are mentioned in another one of Flagg's books. The story of Sookie and the truth she tries to discover (I won't ruin it for you) seemed to drag on until a little twist was thrown in at the end that I didn't see coming. It is an interesting book though and I would recommend it. I am kind of on a Flagg kick right now.

Thanks, that helps!

I've tossed in the towel on the newest Vampire Diaries installment, granted I am a bit ticked since a major character was killed off (for those that know the show if your a fan of a certain major ship its not pretty in the books). So I'll stick to the show and the early books.

13 & 14

The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy
The Great Santini by Pat Conroy

The Death of Santini is a memoir of Pat Conroy's life and family relationships. It goes into great depth and shows how all his books are based on his family. And boy, were they messed up!

I had read most of his books before but while reading "Death" I picked up The Great Santini again, which is a ficitonal account based on his childhood. When it came out it caused quite a rift in his family and in the town because of how the people were portrayed. After reading the Death of Santini though, The Great Santini seemed fairly mild!

I really enjoyed both books.

I have not been able to keep up with posts here but have gotten a few books read lately.

#3 - Bow Wow Club - Nicola May - 2nd book that continues the first story, Working It Out. I liked the first one but this matched its title. I get wanting to have zany characters but this was really too much. Somehow it kept my interest to finish it but I don't really know why. Too over the top in parts.

#4 - How to Reach and Teach Children with Challenging Behaviors - I'm including this because while it's work related, I chose to read it and it was a really good book. Written by 2 teachers who worked in my local district and lots of good advice for teachers dealing with kids who have behavior issues.

#5 - Let's Pretend This Never Happened - Jenny Lawson - 5 stars - this was hysterical! I was LOL, tears running in several spots. Lots of cussing and inappropriate sections so it probably won't appeal to everyone. I tried to read it while waiting for DS's haircut and had to put it away because I was laughing too hard to appear sane.

Not sure what to read next!

#22 - The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides

I must say this wasn't as good as the reviews on Amazon made it. The book is all about how four sisters commit suicide after their youngest sister jumps to her death at a party thrown by her parents after her previous suicide attempt was unsuccessful. Controlled by their parents the girls are not allowed to explore friendships or life outside of their strict home. This control and the depression resulting from losing their sister becomes too much for the surviving four sisters thus, they each choose their own form of suicide. The entire story is told from the perspective of the neighborhood boys who profess mesmerizing love for the girls.

#23: Lizzie Borden - The Legend, the Truth, the Final Chapter

from Amazon:
In this amazing narrative, illustrated with rare photographs, Arnold Brown provides the reader with evidence that until now has not been publicly known. By analyzing the legal proceedings against Lizzie, he shows how the prosecution and defense conspired to keep the truth from entering the public record. The ensuing cover-up continues to this day, and the author provides convincing proof of the real murderer's identity.

I got this book from a library sale for a quarter. Not a bad deal --- unfortunately, the book really didn't offer any other insight into the Borden murders. With numerous books in the market concerning Lizzie Borden's involvment in her parents' murders, I had hoped the author was going to offer a new theory but no, just continued reguritation of the same facts and theories that have been offered since 1892. The one thing I did find interesting in the book, was the inclusion of Lizzie Borden's testimony from the court hearing.

#3 Beach road I was pretty surprised at the ending of this book. It was very entertaining and the characters were very real. I definitely recommend it and enjoyed it immensely James Patterson coauthors with Peter dejong on this book.

Two of my books are doing goodreads giveaway today.
Three Twigs for the Campfire is the first book on the most recently listed list while Written for You is further down the page.
Also, I would be willing to send couple of kindle gift copy's to anyone interested in reading any of my works.

1/20 11/22/63 Stephen King

Yeah - okay - I know it took me forever to read one book, but I always have three going at once and this thing is a behemoth. I liked it a lot. It seemed like it could use a little additional editing, but Stephen King is always wordy. This is more a love story than his usual horror fare and I loved it even though I am not a love story kind of gal. He made the only choice he could possibly make at the end.

Next up - 100 Heartbeats by Jeff Corwin. Non-fiction about endangered species. DD15 got me this for Christmas because she knows how much I love animals. Hopefully it's not too sad.

Book 17 of 50

Room by Emma Douglas

From Goodreads:
To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

Hello DIS readers! I'm happy to have found this thread. I am a DIS fan and wife to an author. You can find his book on amazon or goodreads both electronic and print copies. Some chapters were written on the verandah of a Disney Cruise ship! However, the book itself is more of a thriller/humor/detective/monster novel. If there are any male readers out there I will say its kind of a "guy" book but I liked it too. Its called The Bone Eaters by Keith Faigin. Give the sample a try, read the description, and hopefully enjoy!

Thanks, I look forward to following this thread for reading suggestions and I joined the goodreads group as well.

Just borrowed it as my Feb Kindle AP book. Will start after my current book!

Book 5/50: The Paris Wife by Paula McClain

I read this book very slowly. It's historical fiction about Hemingway's first wife, Hadley. It was highly enjoyable. I love Hemingway and historical fiction and Paris, so this was a winner for me.

Book 6/50: Pioneer Girl: A Novel by Bich Minh Nguyen

From Amazon:
Jobless with a PhD, Lee Lien returns home to her Chicago suburb from grad school, only to find herself contending with issues she’s evaded since college. But when her brother disappears, he leaves behind an
object from their mother’s Vietnam past that stirs up a forgotten childhood dream: a gold-leaf brooch, abandoned by an American reporter in Saigon back in 1965, that might be an heirloom belonging to Laura Ingalls Wilder. As Lee explores the tenuous facts of this connection, she unearths more than expected—a trail of clues and enticements that lead her from the dusty stacks of library archives to hilarious prairie life reenactments and ultimately to San Francisco, where her findings will transform strangers’ lives as well as her own.

A dazzling literary mystery about the true origins of a time-tested classic, Pioneer Girl is also the deeply moving tale of a second-generation Vietnamese daughter, the parents she struggles to honor, the missing brother she is expected to bring home—even as her discoveries yield dramatic insights that will free her to live her own life to its full potential.

I LOVED this book. I flew through it so quickly!! I now sit here wondering if any of the 'mystery' in this book has any roots in truth.
If you loved the Little House books as a kid, you'll probably enjoy this book. WARNING: you will get hungry for Chinese food.

#3 Beach road I was pretty surprised at the ending of this book. It was very entertaining and the characters were very real. I definitely recommend it and enjoyed it immensely James Patterson coauthors with Peter dejong on this book.

1/20 11/22/63 Stephen King

Yeah - okay - I know it took me forever to read one book, but I always have three going at once and this thing is a behemoth. I liked it a lot. It seemed like it could use a little additional editing, but Stephen King is always wordy. This is more a love story than his usual horror fare and I loved it even though I am not a love story kind of gal. He made the only choice he could possibly make at the end.

This is a little bit odd, but Beach Road is the only James Patterson book I've liked.

The same goes for 11/22/63 being the only Stephen King book I've enjoyed.

Book 5/50: The Paris Wife by Paula McClain

I read this book very slowly. It's historical fiction about Hemingway's first wife, Hadley. It was highly enjoyable. I love Hemingway and historical fiction and Paris, so this was a winner for me.

Book 6/50: Pioneer Girl: A Novel by Bich Minh Nguyen

From Amazon:
Jobless with a PhD, Lee Lien returns home to her Chicago suburb from grad school, only to find herself contending with issues she’s evaded since college. But when her brother disappears, he leaves behind an
object from their mother’s Vietnam past that stirs up a forgotten childhood dream: a gold-leaf brooch, abandoned by an American reporter in Saigon back in 1965, that might be an heirloom belonging to Laura Ingalls Wilder. As Lee explores the tenuous facts of this connection, she unearths more than expected—a trail of clues and enticements that lead her from the dusty stacks of library archives to hilarious prairie life reenactments and ultimately to San Francisco, where her findings will transform strangers’ lives as well as her own.

A dazzling literary mystery about the true origins of a time-tested classic, Pioneer Girl is also the deeply moving tale of a second-generation Vietnamese daughter, the parents she struggles to honor, the missing brother she is expected to bring home—even as her discoveries yield dramatic insights that will free her to live her own life to its full potential.

I LOVED this book. I flew through it so quickly!! I now sit here wondering if any of the 'mystery' in this book has any roots in truth.
If you loved the Little House books as a kid, you'll probably enjoy this book. WARNING: you will get hungry for Chinese food.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Paris Wife, and based on your comments, I'm going to add Pioneer Girl to my "want to read" list.

#24 - The Death Shift by Peter Elkind

from Amazon:
Though doctors struggle to save them, babies are dying in the pediatric ward of a Texas hospital. A secret internal investigation reveals the sickening explanation: Genene Jones, a nurse on the 3-11 shift, is a cold-blooded killer. This true-life thriller reveals how Jones was able to work again--and kill again.

This was another book I purchased at our local library sale for a quarter. I found this true story to be so unbelievable. That no one put two and two together even with the reports. The cover-up by the hospital was disgusting --- that they would have just band-aided the situation rather than filing charges is irresponsible.

Book 6 of 30 Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

I enjoyed this. Thanks to those who have recommended it. I likely would not have chosen it otherwise.

Also thanks for the Pioneer Girl recommendation. I put it on my wish list.

Next up: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder by Shamini Flint

Book 21, Wish You Were Here by Victoria Connelly
Shy, plain Alice takes a vacation to Greece and makes a wish on Aphrodites' statue asking for men to notice her. Her wish is granted and her life changes.

I gave this 2 stars, I think I was irritated with Alice being such a doormat. Not my cup of tea....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter