Here now and my expectations didn't always match up.

What age for a child for FOP? My daughter is tall enough but only 6. I don't want to lose my FP but I don't want to choose the wrong ride. Should I switch to river?

My daughter is 8 and rode FoP multiple times in June! She's a little thrill seeker, though, and every child is different. For reference, she also loves all of the mountains, EE, ToT (I won't step foot on it - she used to ride with my mom!), etc.

I agree with all of the positive reactions to the Na'vi River Journey attraction. It's not a classic storybook ride through, but I think that the animatronics are awesome. The song is quite lovely and the atmosphere very pretty and peaceful. We all enjoy FoP more as it's more our speed, but I wouldn't turn down an offer to ride NRJ any day of the week!

So question - I don't get motion sickness. I plan on taking bonine anyways (worked great on a very rocky cruise), but last year I had benign positional vertigo - "rocks" in your ears get loose and you have spins equal to the room turning upside down, but they only last less than a minute. Lasted about a month, but only because I was too chicken to do the Eply maneuver which fixes it.

Since that happened I haven't had it again, have been to Dollywood on some of the craziest coasters with no issues. I have not done any simulator rides though. Since my vertigo was triggered by head position - FOP shouldn't have an effect like that, should it?

I wouldn't think FoP would trigger that. But who knows with these things. FoP is different from other rides at Disney. Best described as Soarin' on steroids, or some sort of hybrid between Soarin' and Star Tours. I'd have to guess that if either of those rides caused anyone any issues then this ride would probably be too much for you, since it's beyond what those rides do. But, there's still be instances where people who where bothered by those rides were able to ride FoP without issue.

Op, I agree about night time pandora being underwhelming. I think I was expecting it to be more like NRJ...completely immersive and that level of lighting. It wasn't at all. Kinda looked like someone forgot to take down a few strands of Christmas lights.

ETA: I did love FoP though, and agree saulli canteen was delicious!

I'm with @Lesverts - I'm still mourning the loss of Beastly Kingdom. The possible creations, both characters and attractions, for this land are endless. Especially with Joe Rohde at the helm.

That said, I'm looking forward to Pandora in November. I'll hold judgement until I experience it first hand. Jeepers, I hope we like it - we have 7 FOP FPs booked! :-)

I'm glad op enjoyed NRJ. It's been getting a lukewarm reception around here. Nice to hear a positive review.

I suffer from motion sickness on most simulator rides. Closing my eyes is good enough to keep me from getting too sick. Soarin doesn't bother me. There were a few parts of FoP that I had to keep my eyes closed (the diving and swooping parts) and I did feel a bit woozy for a second here and there....but was fine once it was over.

So question - I don't get motion sickness. I plan on taking bonine anyways (worked great on a very rocky cruise), but last year I had benign positional vertigo - "rocks" in your ears get loose and you have spins equal to the room turning upside down, but they only last less than a minute. Lasted about a month, but only because I was too chicken to do the Eply maneuver which fixes it.

Since that happened I haven't had it again, have been to Dollywood on some of the craziest coasters with no issues. I have not done any simulator rides though. Since my vertigo was triggered by head position - FOP shouldn't have an effect like that, should it?

While not exactly the same cause (mine was triggered by shingles flareups affecting my inner ear), I alas have experience with positional vertigo. The ENT told me that the brain relearns your bodily orientation. Your brain recovered when the vertigo stopped. Anyway, I relate in regard to not wanting to have to go through the Eply because just going through the diagnostic tests felt like torture!

While not exactly the same cause (mine was triggered by shingles flareups affecting my inner ear), I alas have experience with positional vertigo. The ENT told me that the brain relearns your bodily orientation. Your brain recovered when the vertigo stopped. Anyway, I relate in regard to not wanting to have to go through the Eply because just going through the diagnostic tests felt like torture!
Hubby and I are both excited to ride FOP, because are a touch of thrill-seekers. This should be fun!

On a completely unrelated note, those of you who have mentioned Eply surprised the heck out of me - my aunt got treatment for her positional vertigo from him, and in fact moved to Portland specifically to seek treatment at his clinic before he retired, but I had no idea that the entire process was named after him. Her treatment was part and parcel of something far larger, but he was absolutely amazing at what he did. The relief was real and permanent. Dr. Eply was amazing and stopped her vertigo and seizures!

Hubby and I are both excited to ride FOP, because are a touch of thrill-seekers. This should be fun!

On a completely unrelated note, those of you who have mentioned Eply surprised the heck out of me - my aunt got treatment for her positional vertigo from him, and in fact moved to Portland specifically to seek treatment at his clinic before he retired, but I had no idea that the entire process was named after him. Her treatment was part and parcel of something far larger, but he was absolutely amazing at what he did. The relief was real and permanent. Dr. Eply was amazing and stopped her vertigo and seizures!

It really does work. After almost a month of still dealing with the vertigo (although it was getting better) I got up the nerve to try it again. It's wild, really induces the spinning to the point where I'm hanging on to the bed for dear life convinced I was going to die...but then it stopped!
Instantaneously resolved.

First off, Flights of Passage was a lot more intense than I expected. I am glad that I experienced it, but I don't think it's for me. The drops were horrible, but I dislike drops on a ride. I don't know how they simulated them exactly since I don't think that you actually drop. But the sensation in my stomach of dropping was there full force. I felt pretty sick during the ride and was glad when it ended.

On the other hand, Once Upon a Time is a fantastic show. Far bigger and better than I expected with more effects.

I loved the Navi River ride; it exceeded my expectations. Very beautiful with interesting effects. Pandora at night wasn't as colorful as I expected, but I really enjoyed my food from Satuli Canteen.
Thank you for This! We are not thrill ride people and don't do any of the mountains. Seven Dwarves is like our peak thrill-the Matterhorn in Disneyland was too much. It's really hard to find a review for people like us! Everyone says it is fine but I am wondering if we should skip it. I will say we can do Startours just fine-so my hope was FOP is of a similar movement/intensity. Knowing it is fake vs. actually falling makes a difference for me.

Last edited:
First off, Flights of Passage was a lot more intense than I expected. I am glad that I experienced it, but I don't think it's for me. The drops were horrible, but I dislike drops on a ride. I don't know how they simulated them exactly since I don't think that you actually drop. But the sensation in my stomach of dropping was there full force. I felt pretty sick during the ride and was glad when it ended.

On the other hand, Once Upon a Time is a fantastic show. Far bigger and better than I expected with more effects.

I loved the Navi River ride; it exceeded my expectations. Very beautiful with interesting effects. Pandora at night wasn't as colorful as I expected, but I really enjoyed my food from Satuli Canteen.

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea that it was so intense! We are NOT thrill seekers. I love Soarin' but cannot ride Star Tours without major nausea. We like Big Thunder and 7DMT, but Splash Mountain and Space Mountain are too much. Now I am a little worried that FoP will be too much for my elderly Mom, or my timid grand daughter.

Forewarned is forearmed, though. Thank you so much for the review. Perhaps I will switch a FoP FP+ for a NRJ.

@adelaster and @Babsy We did a baby swap where my nephews and their parents went on while my nieces and I waited with their four babies. They got off the ride raving about how fantastic it was.

My one niece and I screamed bloody murder during the ride. LOL! I don't know who got more terrified--me or her. I was honestly close to throwing up when it ended.

When we all met up afterward, my nephew who always gets motion sickness said if he was honest about it, he knew we wouldn't go on it, and he thought we should try it at least once. He was absolutely correct. I am glad I tried it once, but just like Expedition Everest, I likely won't go on it ever again.

I get motion sickness pretty easily and felt fine when closing my eyes on the "drops". I did have my eyes closed roughly 50% of the ride but still worth it as it was unique and well done.

Haha same for me! I rode it twice and the second time I kept my eyes open for 70% but then I felt a little motion sick after.

Thank you for This! We are not thrill ride people and don't do any of the mountains. Seven Dwarves is like our peak thrill-the Matterhorn in Disneyland was too much. It's really hard to find a review for people like us! Everyone says it is fine but I am wondering if we should skip it. I will say we can do Startours just fine-so my hope was FOP is of a similar movement/intensity. Knowing it is fake vs. actually falling makes a difference for me.

I'm exactly the same, seven dwarves is the peak I can do for thrill rides!! I tried big thunder mountain and haven't gone on it again haha. Anyway, you should definitely do FoP and just close your eyes for drops or any intense parts. FoP is now one of my favorite rides at DW!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter