Here now...help needed

allybabba98

Mouseketeer
So our plane landed at about 7:00pm last night. By 7:20 my five year old had fallen and broken his arm in the airport :sad:
It is so hard being so far from home (Toronto) my first instinct is to pack up and go home but I know that is me just wanting to protect him and I feel like I didn't.
If you live in Orlando can I just say the Arnold Palmer paediatric care is fantastic.
Did I read that I can drop off a prescription to be filled at the front desk?

All plans are out the window any advice you have I will gladly help.

Thank you.

oh dear! I can't offer any useful advice, but wish you and yours a wonderful time despite the injury. :hug: I'd bet the characters and cast members will make a fuss of him, and it has to be better to recover at Disney than at home, think of all the cast signing opportunities!!

If you need to get to a chemist, there are a couple a very short cab ride away from Disney property. I am sure the CM's on the front desk will be able to make some sensible recommendations.

All the very best

Poor guy!!:( Depending on how he is feeling maybe you could rent a stroller and still do small bits of time in the parks. There are still many many rides he can go on, even with his arm in a cast. Hopefully you can still find some joy in your vacation. Good luck!

Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I would still try to make the most of it. You have to eat, right? ADR's would be fun and possibly keep his mind off the pain (although little ones seem to be less bothered by this anyway). I like the stroller idea. Pop over to the parks with lots of rest and breaks. I think it will get everyone's mind off of what happened.

What a way to start your vacation. So sorry. I do believe I read the same thing about scripts its worth a try and if they won't do it at front desk they can guide you in the right direction. I would definetaly rent a stroller from an outside source as they are nicer and more comfortable than the plastic Disney strollers. Do what you can as by your picture there are other children involved and there are lots of rides that he will be able to go on.

One of my kids- and me- got violently sick there one year and had to have medical care. We were in bed for two full days, but the rest of the family went to the parks and did their thing. The medical facilities just outside the park are outstanding. They do this every day, and it is very efficient. DW is Canadian and it took her a while to settle in to our health care system, so I understand your perspective. It will work out. A broken arm, once set- shouldn't create an issue with doing anything in the parks except intense and/or jarring rides. Kids bounce back fast- I have two boys and they were always needing to go to the doctor for injuries, one really did a number on himself and had to have reconstructive knee surgery at one point. Once you get beyond the initial shock of what happened you should still be able to have a great vacation. The arm is in a cast, and is protected. Unless the doctor specifically told you to avoid attractions, take him to the parks and have fun. If an issue arises, take him back to the doctor- but a 5 year old needs to see Mickey after being in an accident :)

Last edited:
Are you staying on site? Talk to the cm's at the concierge desk in the main lobby at your hotel. I am sure they can help you with this. They can suggest rides and activities and help you know what to do to get your prescription filled.

Seeing as the break is so new maybe a wheelchair would be helpful. Because is would be wider than a stroller it could give buffer room for his arm to avoid bumping, especially when walking through crowds.

Just some ideas to think about.

Hope he feels better very soon!

Oh no!!! I have no advice, but wanted to wish you all well. Hang in there, and talk to the front desk. They will guide you. How was it last night sleeping? It looks like this happened yesterday? Let us know how everyone is when they wake up. Honestly, if he is okay to continue the trip, I would, but you may just have to modify it a bit and take rests.

Oh no! What a way to begin a vacation. Poor Mom! I know how badly you must feel, but today is a new day and I can almost gaurantee that your little guy is fine this morning. You? Maybe not so much.

I would suggest that you just regroup and see what he can do, there are so many attractions that he will still be able to enjoy. Kids bounce back so much faster than adults, and while it is impossible for a parent to just move forward after an accident, thank goodness that kids manage that every day. Please try to have some fun!

I agree with the bouncing back. He will be ready to go and you will need to hold him back a little. Still tons of thing for him to do. Good luck and stick to your plans. Make adjustments as needed. :)

What a way to start a vacation! I read your first sentence to my DH (who isn't a Disney fan) and he burst out "NO poop!!" (using the non-DIS friendly term). As parents, we are just shaking our heads in empathy... Been there, done that, pretty much. At some point during parenthood, some kid is going to inadvertently find some way to mess up what we thought would be a perfect trip, vacation, weekend, etc. Don't talk to me about traveling with stomach flu!

Hang in there, allybabba! He'll heal, probably faster than you think. I might suggest the stroller for a couple of days, just so he doesn't get bumped in the crowds and confusion of WDW. Ask the front desk for help- they can steer you to the closest pharmacy (Walgreens? Rite Aid? CVS?) if you need to get prescriptions filled. You will probably also be able to find a waterproof cast bag while at the pharmacy. While I don't recommend wearing this to soak in a pool, if you little guy has it on and tries to keep his cast out of the water, I bet he can do some pool time with you. You also might want to try some children's tylenol or children's ibuprofen to help with discomfort. ALSO- buy a sharpie marker! Those characters are going to want to sign the heck out of his cast!!!

Don't fly home now. One 4th of July, we flew with DD two days after she broke her ankle (don't ask... it wasn't MY idea to continue with attending the family reunion...). She was in a fair amount of pain, due to all the pressure changes, swelling in the cast, etc. By the time we flew home (5 days later) she traveled much better.

Asses your little guy's discomfort and move on with your plans. OK, maybe if you were planning a water park day, you might rethink, but otherwise? He'll be fine. Keep an eye on him, adjust schedules a bit to his needs if he's feeling poorly, then go for it. You are STILL IN DISNEY WORLD!!! And as a pp said, any little guy who just broke his arm NEEDS a visit with Mickey!

I am SO SORRY this has happened to you guys. That sucks. If you are staying onsite and haven't done so already, please let guest services know what has happened. They may be able to advise you about rides that are ok, rides that are not, etc, and if anyone can engineer some pixie dust for you, it will be them. If you don't have a stroller, rent one and feel no shame - it will be good for him to rest. You may just have to play it by ear for this vacation - do what you can do, rest when you have to. If you weren't planning on lots of character meets, that might be a great alternative to some of the bumpier rides - the characters will fawn all over that poor kiddo. I am so, so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope you are able to have a happy time anyway.

Also, if you can swing it in the budget, it might be worthwhile to take taxis where you can instead of bussing from resort to park. For MK, you can taxi to the Contemporary and it's a tiny walk from there to MK. I know getting jostled about on bus sounds like the least fun you could have with a new cast. And if you didn't have any character dining booked, that might be a nice thing to do if you can - talk to guest services and see if anyone can help get you in somewhere - that would be a great memory with low pain potential!

So sorry, but I can tell you as a physical therapist I see little ones with broken bones all the time, he will feel some pain/discomfort for the first 48h cause his arm is still swollen but after that he will start running and playing again and you will have to slow him down ! Take it easy today and maybe tomorrow but try to enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Sorry to hear about your little one. Stay and enjoy your trip. Turner Drugs will fill prescriptions and deliver them tho all of the WDW resorts. Check out their website. I don't know if your little guy is a swimmer but if he is there are things that can protect his cast while he swims. Check with Turner Drugs about this and maybe they can help. Like a PP said young one tend to bounce back quickly after something like this. Let him do what he feels that he can do and have a great time. Cheers!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your little one. Stay and enjoy your trip. Turner Drugs will fill prescriptions and deliver them tho all of the WDW resorts. Check out their website. I don't know if your little guy is a swimmer but if he is there are things that can protect his cast while he swims. Check with Turner Drugs about this and maybe they can help. Like a PP said young one tend to bounce back quickly after something like this. Let him do what he feels that he can do and have a great time. Cheers!!!!!

THANK YOU!. I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of that pharmacy! That is the name that I've seen repeatedly mentioned for resort guests in need.

If you can still make the parks, do it. DD had a broken arm on one of our trips and every single cast member and character went out of their way to gush all over her. She got so much attention she joked about breaking her arm before every trip from then on! Hope your little one bounces back quickly and you still have a magical vacation despite it all.

As a 5 year old, I was in disneyland the day after breaking my wrist. All I remember from that trip is the special attention from the cast members and characters, and the extra spoiling from my aunts/uncles/family. I don't remember the pain or limitations (if there were any). Have a great trip!

OP I know you are probably in a bit of a panic mode, but could you please update us when you get a chance? I hope all is looking better this morning, and you are out at the parks having fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter