Just have a couple questions for those who have traveled recently....

Is Southwest sky cap open at MCO ?

Is the magic express taking your luggage to hotel or do you have to retrieve it yourself ?

can I take a travel size can of Lysol in my carry on?

any reports of activities still happening at the fort wilderness ... we got bumped to a cabin there

thanks 😊
since they say no aerosols allowed I would say no. Bring sanitizing wipes instead

I'll second this. Southwest has been making changes to flights on the regular and unless you check your emails, you may not even know. We've seen 4 changes just since June to our flight to MCO. The last one changed us from non-stop to a stop in ATL. It will still get us there way sooner (11:30am) than the only non-stop left on that day (lands 7:55pm), so we are keeping it. We booked at $49 and today its at $266. Meantime, our return flight with American hasn't changed a bit and I booked that before the Southwest flight!
This is so funny because my nephew and his fiancée were booked one way on southwest non-stop from Philly to Orlando and they booked their return one way on American too. They were just notified the other day that their non-stop on Southwest was also now a layover in Atlanta and the travel time would increase a little more than two hours. They cancelled their southwest and booked an economy fare on American that allowed them to pay a fee to pick their seats.

For those just back, is the pickup for ME still 3 hours before plane departure or have they upped it?

For those just back, is the pickup for ME still 3 hours before plane departure or have they upped it?
Yes it is. We stayed at the MCO Hyatt on the last night. Not knowing how to schedule this I gave them a fake flight number. The flight I gave was at 1815 and the pick up time I got was 1455 over 3 hours. I called them and told them we were staying at the Hyatt and asked if they had a time we could picked up later. They were happy to accommodate and gave us a 1645 pick up.

Here now. Disney’s guidelines are really good when they work. I’m not sure what everyone has experienced. With regard to the distancing markers in the ride ques oftentimes the party ahead of us has a lot of people. If one fits in the distancing market and the rest fall in behind I’ve been leaving an extra marker between us and them. Otherwise we’d be really close. Got a really hard time about this from a CM tonight. Kept insisting I move up. When I asked her how that’s correct if that would leave approximately a foot between us she still was unrelenting.
Was the line crowded? Did she lack total sense and understanding?
That would really make me mad. Just curious, was she younger or older?

So we're home and here's my takeaway:
Pros:
  • Low crowds, after 2pm at parks
  • Resort also had low crowds, which meant pools weren't crowded
  • We had crazy good luck with the buses. I don't think we really waited more than 5 most times, and 10 min at the max.
  • Ride times after 2pm were 20 min or less
  • If you ask for something, like towels or whatever, a CM seems to be there in 20 min or less with it
  • Mask compliance was 99%, it will never be 100%, still better than what it is here at home
Cons:
  • Heat was brutal, especially with a mask in August
  • Lots of restaurants closed, combined with no kitchen, made for a lot of meh quick service
  • No park hopping
  • Some of the magic feels like it's missing. It's a combo of CMs wearing masks, and also so many things being closed.
  • We had an older unit at SSR and the bed was terrible. It wasn't firm enough and they did offer to switch the bed but dh didn't want to go through the trouble.
  • Wearing a mask (yes this sucks for everyone!)
  • No mousekeeping
Overall Thoughts/Experience:
I love Disney but the magic was missing. We aren't the people that stake out parade spots, or fireworks spots and wait in crazy lines for rides but somehow it felt 'less than'. I know Disney is doing there best but if this was my first visit I would be SUPER disappointed! The no park hopping was really a big downer for us because we always park hop when at Disney! Plus all the CMs wearing a mask made it hard to hear them and even trying to hear each other. Plus the masks would get sweaty and smell bad and then you have to change them. Ugh. Then add the heat. Soo oppressive! Even when in A/C the mask wasn't comfortable. We really aren't meant to be wearing a mask ALL DAY.
Although the resort was nice, we had an older unit and it was a studio. We stopped staying on site because it's cheaper to stay off site and rent a car, typically, and we like having a kitchen. Dh has food allergies and eating out every single day after 2 - 3 days is hard on my stomach. Combine that with we ate a lot of QS because so much was closed, and the kids would only eat like 1/4 of their food at a TS place. We couldn't keep shelling out $100+ a meal for 2 kids who weren't eating all of it! I have motion sickness and those buses, ugh, I really would have preferred to drive myself. We only stayed at a resort this time because of the limit on AP park reservations. If we hadn't been limited to 3 days we would have definitely stayed off-site! I did feel safe in our room but we did have to ask multiple days for housekeeping to bring us extra stuff, like towels, soap, etc.
Flying - ugh. Although the airports were empty and the plane wasn't packed I still question if I would fly. Southwest leaving the middle seat open is great! I wouldn't be comfortable flying in this Pandemic with a stranger sitting right next to me. I mean we had people in front and behind us, closer than 6 ft, but somehow the thought of having someone plopped right next to my elbow makes me more uncomfortable than behind or in front.

The big questions: Would I go again? Flying or driving?
I think the answer is No. The magic is missing! I'm glad we went so that I could judge it for myself. We typically fly Frontier, and they pack them in like cattle. I would NOT fly! I definitely want a vacation with my family again but IF we went somewhere I would have to 1 - drive and 2 - stay somewhere with a kitchen.
What an honest assessment. For once someone telling it like it is. My takeaway is that Disney should be ashamed at the product they delivered.

Idk...to some extent a trip is what you make of it. My biggest disappointment is no fireworks, no parties and no parks at night. :( BUT I am going to have a good time, I will make myself! I have waited too long to go, and stay in my dream resort room. Many times it's all in the attitude. I guess I can say once I'm back, but I'm going to assume the trip will be amazing.

Just back from a quick, last-minute 3 day trip. We flew Frontier. Stayed at WBC.
1 day Universal (our first time), 1 pool day,
1 day MK. I have read on a lot of blogs recommendations for going now if you are a frequent visitor but not if it’s once in a lifetime trip and I would agree with that assessment. Some things about our trip were great but there was also a lot missing. It didn’t bother us as we’ve seen it before and we know we will be back.

Pros:
•No traffic - driving was a breeze. Hotel nearly empty parked in the first space of the first row every time, overall quiet and relaxing in a way I have never experienced in Orlando before.
•No lines - we had the most amazing day at Universal and honestly felt like the park was our private event. Being the only family for Ollivanders, the only family in the whole Gringotts building. Walked up to every spell location with no one around and seeing them all the first time as my daughter did them. It was truly magical and honestly made the trip worth it.
•The shorter park hours made for a more relaxing and restful trip - we had dinner and pool time both nights after the parks which is not something we ever were able to do before - it was nice and felt more like vacation

Cons
• Wearing the masks was uncomfortable and annoying. Also really made interaction with cast/team members difficult. Universal staff did a way better job making the extra effort required to interact with guests. Disney cast members were like silent zombies - had only one pleasant interaction all the rest were like robots you could barely hear speak. It was awkward.
• Lack of dining especially at MK. Again Universal has many more options open. MK there is just no choice. That being said we had a great waffle from Sleepy Hollow and really enjoyed the expanded seating. And our lunch at Pecos Bills was surprisingly good. For one day absolutely fine for a week-long trip - less so.
•Shorter park hours - I know I have this in pros but our MK day was hot! With regular hours we would have gone back for a swim break and come back for nighttime- not possible so really had a miserable couple of hours trying to survive the brutal afternoon.
Overall I’m glad we went. We really needed to get away and we accomplished a lot in 3 days and felt happy with our time and the costs. It was a different trip bur one we will remember more for the good than for the bad.

Can anyone say what is happening at Tutto Gusto right now? Can you actually go in and have drinks and food or is it take out only?

We are there a couple weeks ago. As others have said, it’s basically Tutto Italia overflow seating (the bar is closed) but they do have the full Tutto Gusto wine list and many of the same appetizers (charcuterie boards, meatballs etc).

What an honest assessment. For once someone telling it like it is. My takeaway is that Disney should be ashamed at the product they delivered.
We've been 12 times in the last 10 years and I don't think Disney has anything to be ashamed of. It was the best trip we've had since the creation of fast pass plus. These are different times and anyone going needs to realize that it's going to be different. I thought Disney did a great job. If you can't handle the Covid changes don't go.

With Disney allowing some dining reservations after park close, I wonder if they will offer transportation longer than 90 mins after park close too?

https://blogmickey.com/2020/08/sele...pen-after-park-close-beginning-september-8th/
Earlier today I looked at the ADRs I made right before they announced the reduced park hours. I had a 50’s Prime Time Cafe ADR for 7:55 and DHS closes at 7pm on that day. I was worried that it would get canceled so I changed my reservation for our Resort restaurant. That was a good 8 hours ago. After reading that post I decided to try and switch it back and lo and behold, my exact time was there waiting for me so I grabbed it back. Now I’m ok with the risk of losing it because we can always find something else for dinner. What would we do from the 7pm park closing time till my ADR (nearly an hour later)? I suppose we’ll have to wait for reports from folks with later ADRs after the park hours change.

Earlier today I looked at the ADRs I made right before they announced the reduced park hours. I had a 50’s Prime Time Cafe ADR for 7:55 and DHS closes at 7pm on that day. I was worried that it would get canceled so I changed my reservation for our Resort restaurant. That was a good 8 hours ago. After reading that post I decided to try and switch it back and lo and behold, my exact time was there waiting for me so I grabbed it back. Now I’m ok with the risk of losing it because we can always find something else for dinner. What would we do from the 7pm park closing time till my ADR (nearly an hour later)? I suppose we’ll have to wait for reports from folks with later ADRs after the park hours change.
You could hop into the ride line with the longest wait right before close, you could browse stores while everyone else leaves the park, you could leisurely stroll through the park to your restaurant. I’d venture a guess though that at some point, security would usher you to your restaurant and have you wait out front. But, yes, would definitely love to hear what others come up with while waiting.

If the times hadn't changed what would you be doing 30 minutes before an adr?

This is so funny because my nephew and his fiancée were booked one way on southwest non-stop from Philly to Orlando and they booked their return one way on American too. They were just notified the other day that their non-stop on Southwest was also now a layover in Atlanta and the travel time would increase a little more than two hours. They cancelled their southwest and booked an economy fare on American that allowed them to pay a fee to pick their seats.
Yep. After Sept 5th the usual (pre-Covid) early AM non-stop is gone and replaced with a stop in ATL. I will look into where the SW cancellation policy stands. I booked with points when the cash price for our flight (at the time, non-stop) was $49 so I don't know if I could come close to that on AA (would want the added pick your seat fee too), but I'll check. Thx for putting it into my head. This trip has been like a lump of Play-Doh..... constantly changing shape!

ETA: Switched our flights! AA has their early morning non-stop at $45! With $10 seat selection fee + I get one checked bag free bc I'm an AAdvantage cardholder. Our SW returned points will be returned for later use. So HAPPY to not have almost twice the time in-flight and a stop and 1 hr wait in ATL airport.

Last edited:
If the times hadn't changed what would you be doing 30 minutes before an adr?
Probably just checking out the gift shops and explaining to dh why he probably would never wear that Jedi robe (that he’s eyeing) again. Or maybe we’d both be getting one 😀. I get your point. I guess i am just worrying that at the last minute they will realize they don’t want to keep people in the park 2 hours after closing and cancel the ADRs. Because I assume dinner at 7pm will take about an hour. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to have an empty park when we leave!

Probably just checking out the gift shops and explaining to dh why he probably would never wear that Jedi robe (that he’s eyeing) again. Or maybe we’d both be getting one 😀. I get your point. I guess i am just worrying that at the last minute they will realize they don’t want to keep people in the park 2 hours after closing and cancel the ADRs. Because I assume dinner at 7pm will take about an hour. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to have an empty park when we leave!
lol on the robes. Yeah, I mean they can and have in the past, changed their minds and cancelled people's reservations, but there's nothing we can do about that so try not to worry.

One thing I have not seen posted here: there are no parking lot trams running. I had forgotten my handicapped hanger and had a hard time walking from car to entrance and then the entire park too.

Probably not an issue for average guests.
Should have taken resort bus once we saw this.

Disney doesn’t always require a handicap pass to park in handicap. Once we drove two cars, only one with a handicap placard (out of state placard, Florida cars), and they allowed both of our cars to park in handicap so we could stay together. It was early in the day and there were plenty of spots. If you forget it again you could ask- worse they can do is say no. :) If you have a photo that may help. I’ve seen lots of cars in handicap at Disney over the years with no placard/sticker/license plate designation.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter