I have been here since 7/15. Unless you are local and have an annual pass Don’t make plans to come. Currently it is not worth the top prices that Disney is still charging. So if once in 5 years or once in a lifetime you will be wasting money. I have been coming since 1983 nearly annually. I had DVC points I was lucky to be able to use. WDW is basically a glorified amusement park with constant mask wearing. No shows and very little magic.

I have to admit this factored into the cancellation of my September trip. I felt like I was being charged full price for half the value. Also factoring in it was a first trip for a 6 y.o. and 1.5 year old and DH has an underlying medical condition that puts him in a higher risk category it made sense for us to cancel and visit another time.

I haven’t been back yet, we go in Sept, but I said something like this to a friend of mine yesterday who only goes every few years. I told her for us, we don’t mind that not everything is open because we’ve been so many times & even if we don’t ride anything or see a show we’re still happy just to be there. But for those who only go every so often, once in a life timers, or those who must ride & see everything, I’d suggest postponing because it wouldn’t be worth it to them at this time. As for us, though we’re a little apprehensive, we just can’t bring ourselves to cancel so we’ll be there in 51 days!:smickey:
Agree wholeheartedly. Have said this many times. This is one of the reasons why the decision should be different for everyone. I gave the same advice to a family member who was planning on taking folks for whom it would be their very first trip to WDW. Told them to wait. Their first impression won't be what it *should* be.
But for our family, who has been to WDW and DLR many times (mostly 8-12 day stays) over the past decades, we won't miss the things that aren't currently running/open. We plan on taking a very casual approach to this upcoming trip. Do what we feel comfortable with, not push ourselves in the heat and make the most of what IS there rather than focus or dwell on what is not.

To steal Cory's line from the intro to DISunplugged Podcasts: "I'm just happy to be here!" will be my mantra for the trip.
We leave in 54 days! :cheer2:

Agree wholeheartedly. Have said this many times. This is one of the reasons why the decision should be different for everyone. I gave the same advice to a family member who was planning on taking folks for whom it would be their very first trip to WDW. Told them to wait. Their first impression won't be what it *should* be.
But for our family, who has been to WDW and DLR many times (mostly 8-12 day stays) over the past decades, we won't miss the things that aren't currently running/open. We plan on taking a very casual approach to this upcoming trip. Do what we feel comfortable with, not push ourselves in the heat and make the most of what IS there rather than focus or dwell on what is not.

To steal Cory's line from the intro to DISunplugged Podcasts: "I'm just happy to be here!" will be my mantra for the trip.
We leave in 54 days! :cheer2:
If we go, our situation will be similar to yours in that we go often but I will say that due to all the closures, to lessen the amount of days of exposure we'll be cutting our trip in half. We normally go for 10 nights but this trip will be just 5 nights as I figure we need only one day in each park and the water parks are closed so 5 nights will be lots for us.

We leave in 50 days...maybe! :)

This is how we feel. We've been a bunch of times over the years and we're honestly looking forward to taking it easy. Normally we're up every day at 7:30 to eat, get ready, and book it out of the door. Our first full day will be Epcot and I can't tell you how excited I am to sleep a little more, go to the pool for a little bit, and then head over to the park without worrying about unmanageable wait times and increasing crowds.

We scored a great deal at the BWV so we're just going to enjoy the resort, the bigger room, and just take our time with everything. It'll be a nice break from sitting in front of our computers all day in our apartment.

I ran every other day during the BLT and Poly portions of our trip, so can speak from experience as I had the same question / wasn't quite sure what to do. For context, I don't run with a mask at home, just common runner courtesy to leave a wide path, etc.

At BLT the running path there shares the route in some spots with CMs walking into CR to work (I run first thing in the morning when many are arriving), landscapers, etc. I really didn't know what to do so I wore a mask as that seemed like the right thing, other runners I saw were not wearing them.

Later during the trip I asked two separate recreation CMs about running with masks. One didn't know and went to ask her manager, the other knew right away. Both reported masks are not required while exercising in the gyms or on the running paths. To and from each activity, yes - while doing them, no. One of these CMs was one that, shall I say, was "on it" in terms of mask/chair/cleaning enforcement at the BLT pool - so while this was CM info (and we all know what to do with CM info), I trusted her info as she seemed to take things seriously.

At Poly, I saw a few runners with masks, but most didn't.

Somewhat random, on two Poly run mornings I ran by two Incredi Crew CMs several times. I am not sure what they were doing exactly but I passed them in various spots as they walked from the TTC to GF and back - I guess that maybe this was part of their rounds? Every time I passed them they just waved and said good morning.

So my ultimate takeaway from all of that is that masks aren't needed while running, just typical common sense/courtesy to leave space, wide paths, etc. After my first few masked runs (which I found were fine for 30 mins but got pretty un-breathable after that once they get wet), I ran without a mask but did have a gaiter around my neck in case I came up on any situation where I'd pass a lot of people.

Although, with some exceptions all-in-all when I was running (again, early in the day) you really don't pass many people at all other than fellow runners - and depending on the path it was almost always possible to hop off in the grass, sand, or whatever during the rare time you might pass someone.

I didn't go in any gym, so can't comment specifically there (other than what the CM told me above).

Hope that helps!
I'm staying at WL so I shouldn't be seeing too many people on my runs. Running outdoors this time of year is difficult enough in the heat and humidity a mask would just add to the risk. I also plan on using the gym. I'll report back what I learn.

I'm staying at WL so I shouldn't be seeing too many people on my runs. Running outdoors this time of year is difficult enough in the heat and humidity a mask would just add to the risk. I also plan on using the gym. I'll report back what I learn.

You may know this already but FYI, the path to FW is still closed. Unfortunately it limits running options a bit around WL. :-(

Enjoy your trip! We did one night at WL our last night of the trip and it wasn’t enough!

You may know this already but FYI, the path to FW is still closed. Unfortunately it limits running options a bit around WL. :-(

Enjoy your trip! We did one night at WL our last night of the trip and it wasn’t enough!
The roads are still open aren't they? I may need to switch resorts then.

I ran every other day during the BLT and Poly portions of our trip, so can speak from experience as I had the same question / wasn't quite sure what to do. For context, I don't run with a mask at home, just common runner courtesy to leave a wide path, etc.

At BLT the running path there shares the route in some spots with CMs walking into CR to work (I run first thing in the morning when many are arriving), landscapers, etc. I really didn't know what to do so I wore a mask as that seemed like the right thing, other runners I saw were not wearing them.

Later during the trip I asked two separate recreation CMs about running with masks. One didn't know and went to ask her manager, the other knew right away. Both reported masks are not required while exercising in the gyms or on the running paths. To and from each activity, yes - while doing them, no. One of these CMs was one that, shall I say, was "on it" in terms of mask/chair/cleaning enforcement at the BLT pool - so while this was CM info (and we all know what to do with CM info), I trusted her info as she seemed to take things seriously.

At Poly, I saw a few runners with masks, but most didn't.

Somewhat random, on two Poly run mornings I ran by two Incredi Crew CMs several times. I am not sure what they were doing exactly but I passed them in various spots as they walked from the TTC to GF and back - I guess that maybe this was part of their rounds? Every time I passed them they just waved and said good morning.

So my ultimate takeaway from all of that is that masks aren't needed while running, just typical common sense/courtesy to leave space, wide paths, etc. After my first few masked runs (which I found were fine for 30 mins but got pretty un-breathable after that once they get wet), I ran without a mask but did have a gaiter around my neck in case I came up on any situation where I'd pass a lot of people.

Although, with some exceptions all-in-all when I was running (again, early in the day) you really don't pass many people at all other than fellow runners - and depending on the path it was almost always possible to hop off in the grass, sand, or whatever during the rare time you might pass someone.

I didn't go in any gym, so can't comment specifically there (other than what the CM told me above).

Hope that helps!
Thank you - this does help. One of my favorite things to do @ WDW is get up before everyone else and go for a run - we are talking pre-sunrise early. I can't imagine anyone would care I was even out there, but happy to know that is the policy.

I am so happy to see all of your positive comments. We have Premier annual passes and went to WDW in January. We also have Universal annual passes. We never watch shows or fireworks, so the thought of walking on rides and a 30% discount is heaven! I normally would have spent all summer at Disneyland, so getting some Disney magic will be much needed for my mental health.

I spent five days in the parks and just got back home on Monday. Besides Hollywood Studios, I felt like mask enforcement and cleaning were excellent. We did not go to Disney Springs at all, and ate all our meals outside. I was just dying to go on this trip, I think I thought once I went to Disney all my COVID issues would be resolved. Or maybe it was just that it would be such a break from the boring, stay at home, stressful life that we all deal with due to this pandemic. Well the parks were pretty empty and it was nice, but the atmosphere is different and COVID is always present and in your mind. It was especially true at EPCOT because it just lacked any charm. How can you really enjoy a food and wine festival, when you are worried about clean hands, masks, and super hot weather? In addition, there is not really any live entertainment. It just felt kind of sad. We took every precaution that we could, but now I am home and every day I'm thinking do I have COVID? Was this trip really worth the risk? I guess only time will tell, but if you are planning to go in the near future just know that in my opinion the lack of lines did not make up for just the general happy, high you get at Disney.
I appreciate this...and I've realized lately that all my anxiety and FOMO about my September trip come down to pretty much the same line of thinking you describe here. My anxiety has spiked pretty hard at a few points this summer (golly gee, wonder why) and I realized I've been looking toward travel as a way to "fix" myself...because it usually works. But instead this time around it's turned into a feedback loop of anxiety as I stress about whether or not I should go, and I'm not positive I won't have the same emotional reaction you did if I go. Or I might enjoy myself, as others have, and come back feeling refreshed. Either way, though, I've been realizing that it's not been good for my mental health to obsess over this trip as the "fix" for my feelings. I still haven't cancelled my reservations and don't plan to make that call until the end of August, but I've been able to let go of it a bit for now and I'm feeling pretty happy about my staycation options (and the money I'll save) if I need to change my plans.

Right now I'm personally satisfied with what I'm hearing about Disney's safety measures and dissatisfied with what I'm hearing about airports and Florida in general. If I cancel it's almost probably to be based on Florida's general response and infection rates rather than on what Disney is doing (unless Disney makes changes for the worse, which I suppose could still happen).

Actual question: I've been seeing reports that Disney Springs has lower mask compliance/feels more crowded/feels more dangerous than the parks. Can folks who have been to DS please continue chiming in with reports and opinions about that?

I appreciate this...and I've realized lately that all my anxiety and FOMO about my September trip come down to pretty much the same line of thinking you describe here. My anxiety has spiked pretty hard at a few points this summer (golly gee, wonder why) and I realized I've been looking toward travel as a way to "fix" myself...because it usually works. But instead this time around it's turned into a feedback loop of anxiety as I stress about whether or not I should go, and I'm not positive I won't have the same emotional reaction you did if I go. Or I might enjoy myself, as others have, and come back feeling refreshed. Either way, though, I've been realizing that it's not been good for my mental health to obsess over this trip as the "fix" for my feelings. I still haven't cancelled my reservations and don't plan to make that call until the end of August, but I've been able to let go of it a bit for now and I'm feeling pretty happy about my staycation options (and the money I'll save) if I need to change my plans.

Right now I'm personally satisfied with what I'm hearing about Disney's safety measures and dissatisfied with what I'm hearing about airports and Florida in general. If I cancel it's almost probably to be based on Florida's general response and infection rates rather than on what Disney is doing (unless Disney makes changes for the worse, which I suppose could still happen).

Actual question: I've been seeing reports that Disney Springs has lower mask compliance/feels more crowded/feels more dangerous than the parks. Can folks who have been to DS please continue chiming in with reports and opinions about that?
We went to DS the middle of June - 4 different times, all early evening - 9ish. We saw mask compliance most of the time. We never felt uncomfortable.

To be honest, we have had to fly recently and it wasn't ideal but not terrible. The worst was Atlanta, in terms of mask compliance. I hear MCO is bad as well. These are certainly concerns for us, but N95s are mostly available online so if you're going to do it, I'd suggest getting some for yourself and your family and wearing those in the airports. That's what we did and it gave us peace of mind. Our plan when we travel down to MCO will be to wear those, and move as quickly as possible to pick up luggage and then the Magical Express.

I don't imagine FL will be tightening restrictions to the same extent other states have (like NY, MA, or PA) and this will keep those case numbers up. I'm encouraged to see that the NBA players in the "bubble" have not tested positive yet, at least, and see the precautions Disney is taking as comparable to those in states that are taking this seriously.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

We went to DS the middle of June - 4 different times, all early evening - 9ish. We saw mask compliance most of the time. We never felt uncomfortable.
I thought Mask compliance was excellent at the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and EPCOT, there were issue at Hollywood studios especially in the line for Mickey's Railroad. We actually complained to cast members and folks would pull up there masks and then immediately pull them back down when the cast members walked away. It was frustrating! In the airport even the gate agents at Southwest and the cleaners had their masks pulled all the way down. People in the waiting area were not really wearing masks or pulling them down. It was disconcerting, but if the employees don't even comply you can't expect people to comply.

I have to admit this factored into the cancellation of my September trip. I felt like I was being charged full price for half the value. Also factoring in it was a first trip for a 6 y.o. and 1.5 year old and DH has an underlying medical condition that puts him in a higher risk category it made sense for us to cancel and visit another time.

I agree this is not the time anyone should take a first trip to WDW.

Last edited:
Oh boy! Just $100?? It used to be much higher. $500 or $600??? I remember having to visit my resort desk about halfway through our vaca to use my GC to pay the balance. If they're doing it at $100 then that would be a bit of a pain in the neck.

They don't actually "charge" your card in additional increments when your spending starts. They just increase the hold amount on the credit card. When we check out we still have one lump charge on the checkout date. That being said, I would go apply the cards the day before checkout. Our last two trips they had already charged our card, and they did take the gift cards, apply them, and issue a partial refund to the credit card. But it took a LONG time for that refund to hit.

These two bits of info seem to conflict. (Not that conflicting info during this time period is completely out of the ordinary). I'm looking on the official site for clarification, but so far have only found the old wording about visiting resorts as a day guest. Could it be that the DVC statement came out prematurely, ie: before the official policy change and website could be changed?

" Please be aware that you'll also need:
  • A confirmed room reservation for your stay. Be sure to link your reservation to your Disney account to receive important information prior to your arrival—visit My Plans to get started
  • A confirmed dining reservation if you’re a day Guest (not staying overnight) "

That DVC member turned away at Boardwalk could have been a "day guest"? I talked to DVC member services about this. They said the "day guest- not staying overnight" meant not staying overnight at any Disney resort. Not necessarily the resort you are trying to visit. But who knows... so much conflicting info.

That DVC member turned away at Boardwalk could have been a "day guest"? I talked to DVC member services about this. They said the "day guest- not staying overnight" meant not staying overnight at any Disney resort. Not necessarily the resort you are trying to visit. But who knows... so much conflicting info.
It seems what it boils down to is if you arrive at a resort via some mode of Disney transportation; you can get in/eat/shop. If you're driving and trying to park; there seems to be more of an issue.

We just got back and went to DS on Sunday at 10:30 am when they opened at 10 am. There was a ton of people streaming into DS. In the garage people did not seem to keep their distance until you got to the temperature check. Disney does funnel you through a path and it was hard to keep social distant. The escalators were the same. We saw lots of people in not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly. People were taking them off while on the escalator. There seemed to be no control or enforcement of masks. It felt crowded and I am sure it wasn't compared to at night.

WOD made you walk around entire building to find the entrance. Once in WOD it was really hard to keep apart from people. I am sure they were monitoring how many people where in the store but it still felt like a lot. And again no one enforcing masks. Other Disney owned stores would make you leave and then go back in other doors to get to the next store for those stores that are all in one building. It all felt a little silly when the paths outside the stores were busy and masks weren't enforced.

We ate at Ghiradelli and Chicken Guy and both places handled everything well but we went when both places first opened so it wasn't crowded yet.

If I were going on a trip I would skip DS all together. We thought Epcot did a good job on everything with the exception of ride exits where people bunched up. For example, we were leaving Soarin' and another theater dumped out at the same time and it was just a mass of people with no where to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter