Back from 9 days at WDW July 18-26. We had 1.5 days at Epcot, 2 days at DHS, 2 days at AK and 2.25 days at MK.

These are my observations and impressions. It's possible someone else has a different experience, because the same way you cannot step into the same river twice, you cannot step into the same park twice, LOL!

Highlights and Positives:
1. Overall - IMHO, Disney hit it out of the ballpark in terms of safety, while balancing providing an amazing experience in the middle of a pandemic. My DH got really cold feet about a week before we were scheduled to leave, It was around the time that FL hit 15,000 new cases in one day and he asked me (rather passive-aggressively) "we are not really going to FL next weekend, are we?" I had been monitoring the pictures and reports here on DISBoards and I said to him, "I really think it's going to be fine." And it was. Low crowds allowed physical-distancing and masks were enforced (more on this later). Low crowds made our visit much more relaxing and pleasant (more on this later too).

2. Mask Enforcement - One of the concerns of many here on the DISboards was whether masks would be enforced. We noticed that mask enforcement got proactively and progressively better after the first couple of days. For example, on our first say (July 18th) at Epcot, I saw plenty of people with masks down, walking and eating. On our second Epcot day, I did not see a single person walking and eating with the masks down. I saw CMs walking around with a sign that said: "Wear a face covering unless stopped to eat or drink." There were signs on each cart/restaurant that said "Face coverings are to be worn at all times except when actively eating or drinking while stationary and physically distanced."

Saw a couple on the right pathway (by the old rose garden) to the side of the castle taking a selfie. They were the only ones there - there was no one within at least a 30-40 feet radius from them, and a CM yelled at them all the way from the bridge to Fantasyland to put on their mask.

I also started hearing reminders that face covering must cover nose and mouth while on the ride more as the trip went along. On our last few days, I would say mask compliance at resort, parks, transportation, etc., was in the 99%. It was that good. Most guests we encountered were really good about proper wear.

3. Lower Crowds - We enjoyed being able to move around the walkways without bumping into people. It made the experience most pleasant and made physical distancing possible. DHS seemed the most "congested," but MK definitely had the most people. Epcot was the least congested.

4. Waits / No FPs - Some waits were longer than FastPass+ lines. We waited 20 minutes for 7DMT. 20 minutes is nothing if you have been in one of the typical 120 minute lines there, but with FP+, I've never waited more than 5 minutes. Same with Jungle Cruise. But, some had as short or shorter waits without FPs. Space Mountain was often a walk-on for us this trip. Test Track and Soarin were walk-ons in the evening!

And the total experience of not being bound to a specific time or having to refresh to get additional FPs made the total experience more positive for my family. If the crowd levels stay the way they are, I think this is a win over FP+. Also, being able to finally walk through the queues, for example, at FoP, and finally see them was great.

5. Characters - We really enjoyed the roaming cavalcades and thought they were more fun than waiting for the Meet and Greets. The ones on the boats at AK were so original and fun. Characters (Rey, Vi Moradi, Storm Troopers, etc.) popped up on top of the low buildings at SWGE. Very cool. And my absolute favorite were Anastasia and Drizella on the castle. they interacted from up there with guests. They were a hoot!

6. QS/Mobile Ordering - This worked well. Cpt Cooks at Poly was very fast and the food was good/fresh. At the parks, we had to wait a while at Pecos Bill, but Cosmic Ray's was very quick. I wish they all had mobile order. At Epcot, many places do not have the mobile ordering set-up yet at the World Showcase. Tangeriene Cafe did NOT have mobile order and someone snagged our food. After we realized that they handed the tray to the wrong party, I had to convince them that "no, the other party wasn't part of my party and I never got my lamb." LOL. My only issue is that customizations were more limited than what you could do when you talked to a human (more on this below).

7. TS Dining - We mostly enjoyed the TS dining. The food tasted fresh and the restaurants were limited in capacity. Some did a better job than others at spacing. Shout outs to Sci-Fi, Tiffins, Wine Bar George, Yak & Yeti and Spice Road for excellent spacing between parties (more than 6 feet, which I feel it is appropriate indoors). You will need reservations for Sci-Fi and Yak & Yeti. Saw tons of people being turned away, and when you are seated inside you can understand why as capacity was greatly reduced to allow for distancing.

Tiffins and Cali Grill showed why they are Signatures and I highly recommend them. Food was at least as good as in previous trips, wines still great and they had more variety in the menu than most of the 'reduced' menus in other restaurants.

8. Lounges - We love the lounges, and ate/drank at Baseline, Oga's, Nomad's. More on this below...

9. Taste of Epcot - The indoor "Festival Marketplace" with 4 booths had plenty of distanced tables and A/C. Great place for a food break. Lines for booths were non-existent and a great experience overall.

10. Mariachi Cobre/Marimba de las Americas and Jammitors - Were a highlight of the week. These were the only performances this week and we loved them. Very few people in the huge outdoor auditorium. Go see them!

11. RotR - If you can get there, it's worth trying for a boarding group. It's a great ride.

12. MMRR - Very cute and a wonderful addition to DHS. I know many won't agree, but I thought it was better than GMR.

13. Poly - Poly was spotless, and the quiet pool (Oasis) was a delight in the mornings and afternoons (while people were in the parks and at dinner).

14. Transportation - We drove to all the parks from Poly, so I cannot comment on the bus. Just felt safer having our vehicle. Parking was quick and efficient. I highly recommend having a car.

Things We Missed /Caveats
15. QS/Mobile Ordering - Customization through the app were limited. For example, at Pecos Bill, I wanted a salad with the taco beef topping. Nope. You can have nachos with the beef topping or salad with chicken or pork, but not a salad with beef topping. I mostly eat low carb and there wasn't always a way to swap out the carb sides for non-carb sides elsewhere on the menu. Menus were also limited, so only a few options, especially for those with food preferences.

16. Lounges - Nomad's menu is pretty short now and you cannot order anymore from the Tiffin's menu. :sad1: Also, Tutto Gusto was listed in the app as being open, but it's only open to sit guests from Tutto Italia. There isn't really a Lounge with food anymore at Epcot as Tutto Gusto is closed and Cava is only serving booze (no guac and chips).

17. Performers / Performances - We really missed the non-rides/streetsmosphere/performers. Some of our favorite things to watch are on an indefinite pause - Monster's Laugh Floor, Citizens of Hollywood, Dapper Dans, Beauty and the Beast show, FotLK, Nemo, Epcot's countries performers (acrobats, serveur amusant, sergio, etc.), AK performers, etc. The harambe drummers were on a float, and they sounded wonderful, but they went by fast and left you wishing you could listen to them some more.

18. Need More Mask Reminders - As the week went along, this got better, but at the beginning of the week not every ride was reminding guests to keep their nose and mouth covered. The guy next to me pulled his mask down on FoP. I only had one banshee between me and him. More reminders are needed. This did get much better as the week got along.

19. Transportation - At monorail, they would sit two parties per doorway - one on each couch, which is much better than the usual cramming that used to happen. However, we were sat across from someone who was wearing one of those masks with the vent and the space did not seem large enough for being indoors with basically someone across from you being maskless. Yeah, I hear those masks with valves are now banned (thankfully), but I think two parties is too much for one doorway. if someone takes off a mask, it can lead to a confrontation. We opted for the Ferryboat, but the walkway from Poly wasn't open until after 9 am, so for those trying to arrive at MK early, that option would not work.

20. TS Dining - Some restaurants felt rather crowded, even being at 50% capacity. Kona was the worst one. Only about 6 feet between parties. Just too little for indoor spacing, IMHO. Raglan Road also seemed rather close too.

21. Evening Pool Time - With only the quiet (Oasis) pool open after 9pm, and no fireworks or spectaculars to pull guests away, the Oasis pool after 8:30pm felt like the Lava pool at 4pm in July 2019. Distancing was difficult.

22. Housekeping during Trip - I'm not a fan of the "light housekeeping." 8 nights and they came once. Another time, they knocked after 9pm to see if we wanted housekeeping. Hmm, not at that time, no, thank you.

OK, so those are my experiences. I will try to dig up come pics of this stuff. Ask away!

Last edited:
Back from 9 days at WDW July 18-26. We had 1.5 days at Epcot, 2 days at DHS, 2 days at AK and 2.25 days at MK.

These are my observations and impressions. It's possible someone else has a different experience, because the same way you cannot step into the same river twice, you cannot step into the same park twice, LOL!

Highlights and Positives:
1. Overall - IMHO, Disney hit it out of the ballpark in terms of safety, while balancing providing an amazing experience in the middle of a pandemic. My DH got really cold feet about a week before we were scheduled to leave, It was around the time that FL hit 15,000 new cases in one day and he asked me (rather passive-aggressively) "we are not really going to FL next weekend, are we?" I had been monitoring the pictures and reports here on DISBoards and I said to him, "I really think it's going to be fine." And it was. Low crowds allowed physical-distancing and masks were enforced (more on this later). Low crowds made our visit much more relaxing and pleasant (more on this later too).

2. Mask Enforcement - One of the concerns of many here on the DISboards was whether masks would be enforced. We noticed that mask enforcement got proactively and progressively better after the first couple of days. For example, on our first say (July 18th) at Epcot, I saw plenty of people with masks down, walking and eating. On our second Epcot day, I did not see a single person walking and eating with the masks down. I saw CMs walking around with a sign that said: "Wear a face covering unless stopped to eat or drink." There were signs on each cart/restaurant that said "Face coverings are to be worn at all times except when actively eating or drinking while stationary and physically distanced."

Saw a couple on the right pathway (by the old rose garden) to the side of the castle taking a selfie. They were the only ones there - there was no one within at least a 30-40 feet radius from them, and a CM yelled at them all the way from the bridge to Fantasyland to put on their mask.

I also started hearing reminders that face covering must cover nose and mouth while on the ride more as the trip went along. On our last few days, I would say mask compliance at resort, parks, transportation, etc., was in the 99%. It was that good. Most guests we encountered were really good about proper wear.

3. Lower Crowds - We enjoyed being able to move around the walkways without bumping into people. It made the experience most pleasant and made physical distancing possible. DHS seemed the most "congested," but MK definitely had the most people. Epcot was the least congested.

4. Waits / No FPs - Some waits were longer than FastPass+ lines. We waited 20 minutes for 7DMT. 20 minutes is nothing if you have been in one of the typical 120 minute lines there, but with FP+, I've never waited more than 5 minutes. Same with Jungle Cruise. But, some had as short or shorter waits without FPs. Space Mountain was often a walk-on for us this trip. Test Track and Soarin were walk-ons in the evening!

And the total experience of not being bound to a specific time or having to refresh to get additional FPs made the total experience more positive for my family. If the crowd levels stay the way they are, I think this is a win over FP+. Also, being able to finally walk through the queues, for example, at FoP, and finally see them was great.

5. Characters - We really enjoyed the roaming cavalcades and thought they were more fun than waiting for the Meet and Greets. The ones on the boats at AK were so original and fun. Characters (Rey, Vi Moradi, Storm Troopers, etc.) popped up on top of the low buildings at SWGE. Very cool. And my absolute favorite were Anastasia and Drizella on the castle. they interacted from up there with guests. They were a hoot!

6. QS/Mobile Ordering - This worked well. Cpt Cooks at Poly was very fast and the food was good/fresh. At the parks, we had to wait a while at Pecos Bill, but Cosmic Ray's was very quick. I wish they all had mobile order. At Epcot, many places do not have the mobile ordering set-up yet at the World Showcase. Tangeriene Cafe did NOT have mobile order and someone snagged our food. After we realized that they handed the tray to the wrong party, I had to convince them that "no, the other party wasn't part of my party and I never got my lamb." LOL. My only issue is that customizations were more limited than what you could do when you talked to a human (more on this below).

7. TS Dining - We mostly enjoyed the TS dining. The food tasted fresh and the restaurants were limited in capacity. Some did a better job than others at spacing. Shout outs to Sci-Fi, Tiffins, Wine Bar George, Yak & Yeti and Spice Road for excellent spacing between parties (more than 6 feet, which I feel it is appropriate indoors). You will need reservations for Sci-Fi and Yak & Yeti. Saw tons of people being turned away, and when you are seated inside you can understand why as capacity was greatly reduced to allow for distancing.

Tiffins and Cali Grill showed why they are Signatures and I highly recommend them. Food was at least as good as in previous trips, wines still great and they had more variety in the menu than most of the 'reduced' menus in other restaurants.

8. Lounges - We love the lounges, and ate/drank at Baseline, Oga's, Nomad's. More on this below...

9. Taste of Epcot - The indoor "Festival Marketplace" with 4 booths had plenty of distanced tables and A/C. Great place for a food break. Lines for booths were non-existent and a great experience overall.

10. Mariachi Cobre/Marimba de las Americas and Jammitors - Were a highlight of the week. These were the only performances this week and we loved them. Very few people in the huge outdoor auditorium. Go see them!

11. RotR - If you can get there, it's worth trying for a boarding group. It's a great ride.

12. MMRR - Very cute and a wonderful addition to DHS. I know many won't agree, but I thought it was better than GMR.

13. Poly - Poly was spotless, and the quiet pool (Oasis) was a delight in the mornings and afternoons (while people were in the parks and at dinner).

14. Transportation - We drove to all the parks from Poly, so I cannot comment on the bus. Just felt safer having our vehicle. Parking was quick and efficient. I highly recommend having a car.

Things We Missed /Caveats
15. QS/Mobile Ordering - Customization through the app were limited. For example, at Pecos Bill, I wanted a salad with the taco beef topping. Nope. You can have nachos with the beef topping or salad with chicken or pork, but not a salad with beef topping. I mostly eat low carb and there wasn't always a way to swap out the carb sides for non-carb sides elsewhere on the menu. Menus were also limited, so only a few options, especially for those with food preferences.

16. Lounges - Nomad's menu is pretty short now and you cannot order anymore from the Tiffin's menu. :sad1: Also, Tutto Gusto was listed in the app as being open, but it's only open to sit guests from Tutto Italia. There isn't really a Lounge with food anymore at Epcot as Tutto Gusto is closed and Cava is only serving booze (no guac and chips).

17. Performers / Performances - We really missed the non-rides/streetsmosphere/performers. Some of our favorite things to watch are on an indefinite pause - Monster's Laugh Floor, Citizens of Hollywood, Dapper Dans, Beauty and the Beast show, FotLK, Nemo, Epcot's countries performers (acrobats, serveur amusant, sergio, etc.), AK performers, etc. The harambe drummers were on a float, and they sounded wonderful, but they went by fast and left you wishing you could listen to them some more.

18. Need More Mask Reminders - As the week went along, this got better, but at the beginning of the week not every ride was reminding guests to keep their nose and mouth covered. The guy next to me pulled his mask down on FoP. I only had one banshee between me and him. More reminders are needed. This did get much better as the week got along.

19. Transportation - At monorail, they would sit two parties per doorway - one on each couch, which is much better than the usual cramming that used to happen. However, we were sat across from someone who was wearing one of those masks with the vent and the space did not seem large enoughf or basically someone across from you being maskless and indoors. Yeah, I hear those are now banned (thankfully), but I think two parties is too much for one doorway. if someone takes off a mask, it can lead to a confrontation. We opted for the Ferryboat, but the walkway from Poly wasn't open until after 9 am, so for those trying to arrive at MK early, that option would not work.

20. TS Dining - Some restaurants felt rather crowded, even being at 50% capacity. Kona was the worst one. Only about 6 feet between parties. Just too little for indoor spacing, IMHO. Raglan Road also seemed rather close too.

21. Evening Pool Time - With only the quiet (Oasis) pool open after 9pm, and no fireworks or spectaculars to pull guests away, the Oasis pool after 8:30pm felt like the Lava pool at 4pm in July 2019. Distancing was difficult.

22. Housekeping during Trip - I'm not a fan of the "light housekeeping." 8 nights and they came once. Another time, they knocked after 9pm to see if we wanted housekeeping. Hmm, not at that time, no, thank you.

OK, so those are my experiences. I will try to dig up come pics of this stuff. Ask away!

Sounds great! Just curious if you have children, and how did they do with masks if so? Also curious if you visited any of the rest areas, and what you thought of them. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this great (and detailed) report! It's good know about the pools as that's something we plan to take advantage of (and also we'll be at BWV where the "big pool" is closed so we're limited to quiet pools). We will plan accordingly.

Really happy to hear about these two restaurants. We spend the majority of our money on signature restaurants and love the diversity in lounges/bars that Disney offers. Did you find that the lounges were as spaced out as Tiffins or CA Grill was? Did you have an issue finding a seat there? We have a reservation for Tiffins but would love to visit the Nomad Lounge as well, since it's just so fun to relax and listen to the music.

Thanks for posting this great (and detailed) report! It's good know about the pools as that's something we plan to take advantage of (and also we'll be at BWV where the "big pool" is closed so we're limited to quiet pools). We will plan accordingly.

Really happy to hear about these two restaurants. We spend the majority of our money on signature restaurants and love the diversity in lounges/bars that Disney offers. Did you find that the lounges were as spaced out as Tiffins or CA Grill was? Did you have an issue finding a seat there? We have a reservation for Tiffins but would love to visit the Nomad Lounge as well, since it's just so fun to relax and listen to the music.

Just wanted you to know that Luna Park Pool, the main pool at BWV, is open! 😁

Would love if you could post what you observe if you go the skyliner route when you get back. We're staying in August and I'm trying to figure out tactics too. We're at Riviera so if the transfer situation is bad at CBR, we may just get up real early and walk tot he caribbean station before it opens to avoid having to transfer.
Absolutely! I’ll post our experiences with this 👍

Sounds great! Just curious if you have children, and how did they do with masks if so? Also curious if you visited any of the rest areas, and what you thought of them. Thanks!
Great question! I have two teens - DS is 15 and DD turned 13 during the trip. No issues at all wearing masks at all times. We brought extras every day. Kids in the park did great. Saw one with the nose out and one of the CMs kindly and cheerfully said "sweetie, remember to keep your face covering over your nose." I also saw a kid pulling down his mask with his mom at Epcot on the afternoon of July 22. If that mom is reading this, I want to tell you that you did awesome! She gently pulled it back up and said, keep it on while we walk and in 10 minutes we'll get a break. The kid kept his mask on and kept walking. I think that kids that have used masks before, with everything around them, they forget they even have the masks on. Honestly, the few cases I saw of non-compliance tended to be older adults, which is rather ironic.

We did not visit the relaxation areas, mostly because we sat down for food and beverage break mid-day and we didn't really need a break in-between. I know one area was by Mission Space and there was no one there and it had umbrellas and tables.

I thought the spacing at the Lounges were good.
  • Oga's was staggered. Every other table blocked off. Booths were all open. We were at the stand-up table in front of Rex.
  • Nomad's had some tables completely removed - every other two-person table by the wall was removed to create staggering. It's open-air and distancing was pretty good.
  • Baseline Tap had many tables blocked off that allowed good distancing and all seating is outdoors.
here are some food pics to inspire you!

Oga’s:
Oga’s:

Baseline Tap:

Wine Bar George:514241

Tiffin’s:

Cali Grill:

• Oga's was staggered. Every other table blocked off. Booths were all open. We were at the stand-up table in front of Rex.
  • Nomad's had some tables completely removed - every other two-person table by the wall was removed to create staggering. It's open-air and distancing was pretty good.
  • Baseline Tap had many tables blocked off that allowed good distancing and all seating is outdoors.

Thanks for the reply. Worth it to see those pics alone, wow. Really killing my last-minute pre-trip diet....

Cheers!

here are some food pics to inspire you!

Oga’s:
Oga’s:
View attachment 514239

Baseline Tap:
View attachment 514240

Wine Bar George:View attachment 514241

Tiffin’s:
View attachment 514242

Cali Grill:
View attachment 514243
View attachment 514244
View attachment 514246
View attachment 514247
View attachment 514248
View attachment 514249
Wow, is that the shareable skirt steak from Wine Bar George?! It looks huge and delicious! Might have to add that to our list!

I think that kids that have used masks before, with everything around them, they forget they even have the masks on. Honestly, the few cases I saw of non-compliance tended to be older adults, which is rather ironic.
This was our experience with our local zoo too - the kids did awesome, while the adults and especially older adults were the ones not following the rules.

if you read back a couple of pages you can see some first hand reports. Disney hasn't really said anything other than masks not needed when swimming or actively eating or drinking but some have reported going to the gym or jogging and not wearing masks
Really tough to wear a mask while running on a treadmill. I'm consistently the only person who wears a mask at my gym, but I take it off while on a tread ea. day. They have every other treadmill blocked off. Not that I would personally visit a gym at WDW anyhow.

Wow, is that the shareable skirt steak from Wine Bar George?! It looks huge and delicious! Might have to add that to our list!
It is! It's a pound of skirt steak with a delicious chimichurri sauce, plus the potatoes and asparagus. It definitely feeds 2-4. We also ordered the cheese plate, the octopus salad and the hummus (for my DD - she's vegetarian). The whole seabass sounded amazing, but DS15 was more excited about the skirt steak. Distancing was great. Outdoor seating was hot until the sun went down, but my DH did not want to move inside even though they offered. Service was great and wow, what a variety of wines, including a ton by the glass.

It is! It's a pound of skirt steak with a delicious chimichurri sauce, plus the potatoes and asparagus. It definitely feeds 2-4. We also ordered the cheese plate, the octopus salad and the hummus (for my DD - she's vegetarian). The whole seabass sounded amazing, but DS15 was more excited about the skirt steak. Distancing was great. Outdoor seating was hot until the sun went down, but my DH did not want to move inside even though they offered. Service was great and wow, what a variety of wines, including a ton by the glass.
That sounds amazing! It has been on my radar, but we’ve never tried it for some reason. Bonus points for the outdoor seating! All your meal photos look spectacular, getting me excited for our trip in a few weeks 😋

We got back last night after a short trip. It was just DH and I, both 49 and in good health (no kids or at-risk contacts at home here in Utah).
We arrived late afternoon on Thursday, July 23. Departed afternoon of Monday, July 27. We stayed at AKV Kidani. We were in a one-bedroom savanna view the first three nights, then a studio savanna view the last night due to points banking rules.

We flew out on Delta on a non-stop flight; our second air travel trip since Covid restrictions. Both airports were empty with not great mask compliance in the terminal or at the gate, but once on-board everyone followed the rules most of the time. Delta blocks middle seats and only fills the planes 60%. It was "full" by those standards but we felt like we had plenty of room. We rented a car and have status with Avis so went right to the car. We had scheduled a grocery pick-up at the Publix on John Young Parkway and picked that up on our way from the airport. We landed after 4 so our room was ready and we went directly there with no issues.

Thursday night we reserved Epcot primarily to do the Food & Wine booths for dinner.
Friday was Magic Kingdom.
Saturday we did Animal Kingdom and had a reservation at Wine Bar George for dinner.
Sunday was Hollywood Studios and a reservation for California Grill for dinner.
Monday we revisited Epcot until about 3, when we had to go to the airport.

Overall the parks were pretty empty except for Studios. Most rides didn't get up to more than a 30-45 minute wait at peak. But until they change the system for getting RotR, everybody will continue to get to DHS at the same time, and it's not going to work if they want to increase capacity there. It wasn't July-level busy but definitely on par with crowds we see during our normal October/November trips. That said, people were really good about complying with the mask rules. Or they were everywhere except Disney Springs. We did see someone in line at Runaway Railway take their mask off to sneeze twice into their arm. Also at RotR the adult man and teen boy in line in front of us touched literally every surface in the queue. But otherwise, everyone was trying and the CMs were great about catching noses peeking out and such.

Now, back to Disney Springs. When we went for Wine Bar George on Saturday, we decided to drive our rental car. As we approached, there were signs saying surface parking was "at capacity" and that both Orange and Lime garages were full. There was seemingly no alternative for parking at all! We started to panic, but followed a line of traffic that did a u-turn at Hotel Plaza Blvd and went in through the valet entrance (valet was closed). They had that one single access open for the Orange garage, but no signage or anything telling people that. It was crazy! Thankfully we'd given ourselves time to get there and weren't too late. Disney Springs was BY FAR busier than any other area of property and mask compliance was maybe 70%. I would definitely avoid it if you can.

We spent some time every afternoon at the Maji Pool Bar, which was not terribly busy. The pool was pretty full most days that it didn't storm, and they don't require masks on the deck. They DO require them if you come up to order at the bar and probably half of the people coming from the pool area forgot to put theirs on when they came up. The bartenders would mention it and remind them, but still take their orders. The tables were far enough from the bar and ordering area that we didn't feel unsafe.

We had a little pixie dust with our room! We checked with the front desk the night before we were supposed to move from the one-bedroom to the studio to see if there was somewhere to put groceries. The CM scanned my band and looked something up on the computer and said it looked like they were going to keep us in the same room! (Makes sense, not having to clean two and displace us for a night.) They told us to check back first thing in the morning and, sure enough, we got to stay. That was really nice!

Conclusions/thoughts:
I was most worried about masks in the heat and a lack of magic, but neither was a problem. I loved the character pop-ups (though I somehow missed both Merida and the stepsisters on our MK day)! The CMs were amazing and all very happy to be there and have guests back. Orlando in July is just miserably hot, so the masks don't really make it any worse. Just be sure you fine one that fits well, the material isn't too heavy and try for a lighter color so it doesn't absorb the sun. You'll honestly almost forget it's there most of the time. We never did need to use any of the relaxation areas, though it's nice they are there.

I did miss some of our favorite signature restaurants, but noticed new things open every day. I'm glad they're being smart and stepping back open a little at a time. I wouldn't take anyone on a first time trip right now, or try to do a big family group or a bunch of little kids who are into characters, shows and fireworks, but for us it was a really nice bit of "normal" that we needed. We are going back the first week of October and can't wait!

EDITED TO ADD:
We're both working from home and able to self-quarantine until we can get tested and get results. Advice is to wait 3-5 days before getting tested, and here it's taking 24-48 hours for results. We're basically behaving as if we've caught it, just in case.

Last edited:
We got back last night after a short trip. It was just DH and I, both 49 and in good health (no kids or at-risk contacts at home here in Utah).
We arrived late afternoon on Thursday, July 23. Departed afternoon of Monday, July 27. We stayed at AKV Kidani. We were in a one-bedroom savanna view the first three nights, then a studio savanna view the last night due to points banking rules.

We flew out on Delta on a non-stop flight; our second air travel trip since Covid restrictions. Both airports were empty with not great mask compliance in the terminal or at the gate, but once on-board everyone followed the rules most of the time. Delta blocks middle seats and only fills the planes 60%. It was "full" by those standards but we felt like we had plenty of room. We rented a car and have status with Avis so went right to the car. We had scheduled a grocery pick-up at the Publix on John Young Parkway and picked that up on our way from the airport. We landed after 4 so our room was ready and we went directly there with no issues.

Thursday night we reserved Epcot primarily to do the Food & Wine booths for dinner.
Friday was Magic Kingdom.
Saturday we did Animal Kingdom and had a reservation at Wine Bar George for dinner.
Sunday was Hollywood Studios and a reservation for California Grill for dinner.
Monday we revisited Epcot until about 3, when we had to go to the airport.

Overall the parks were pretty empty except for Studios. Most rides didn't get up to more than a 30-45 minute wait at peak. But until they change the system for getting RotR, everybody will continue to get to DHS at the same time, and it's not going to work if they want to increase capacity there. It wasn't July-level busy but definitely on par with crowds we see during our normal October/November trips. That said, people were really good about complying with the mask rules. Or they were everywhere except Disney Springs. We did see someone in line at Runaway Railway take their mask off to sneeze twice into their arm. Also at RotR the adult man and teen boy in line in front of us touched literally every surface in the queue. But otherwise, everyone was trying and the CMs were great about catching noses peeking out and such.

Now, back to Disney Springs. When we went for Wine Bar George on Saturday, we decided to drive our rental car. As we approached, there were signs saying surface parking was "at capacity" and that both Orange and Lime garages were full. There was seemingly no alternative for parking at all! We started to panic, but followed a line of traffic that did a u-turn at Hotel Plaza Blvd and went in through the valet entrance (valet was closed). They had that one single access open for the Orange garage, but no signage or anything telling people that. It was crazy! Thankfully we'd given ourselves time to get there and weren't too late. Disney Springs was BY FAR busier than any other area of property and mask compliance was maybe 70%. I would definitely avoid it if you can.

We spent some time every afternoon at the Maji Pool Bar, which was not terribly busy. The pool was pretty full most days that it didn't storm, and they don't require masks on the deck. They DO require them if you come up to order at the bar and probably half of the people coming from the pool area forgot to put theirs on when they came up. The bartenders would mention it and remind them, but still take their orders. The tables were far enough from the bar and ordering area that we didn't feel unsafe.

We had a little pixie dust with our room! We checked with the front desk the night before we were supposed to move from the one-bedroom to the studio to see if there was somewhere to put groceries. The CM scanned my band and looked something up on the computer and said it looked like they were going to keep us in the same room! (Makes sense, not having to clean two and displace us for a night.) They told us to check back first thing in the morning and, sure enough, we got to stay. That was really nice!

Conclusions/thoughts:
I was most worried about masks in the heat and a lack of magic, but neither was a problem. I loved the character pop-ups (though I somehow missed both Merida and the stepsisters on our MK day)! The CMs were amazing and all very happy to be there and have guests back. Orlando in July is just miserably hot, so the masks don't really make it any worse. Just be sure you fine one that fits well, the material isn't too heavy and try for a lighter color so it doesn't absorb the sun. You'll honestly almost forget it's there most of the time. We never did need to use any of the relaxation areas, though it's nice they are there.

I did miss some of our favorite signature restaurants, but noticed new things open every day. I'm glad they're being smart and stepping back open a little at a time. I wouldn't take anyone on a first time trip right now, or try to do a big family group or a bunch of little kids who are into characters, shows and fireworks, but for us it was a really nice bit of "normal" that we needed. We are going back the first week of October and can't wait!

Thank you for your trip notes.
I would think that Delta still fills every row? So despite not having someone in the middle seat, there could still be someone in your lap. We're flying Delta on way there and American on way back, which I would guess tries to fill completely, inc. middle seat, since they're in rougher shape, don't have as much cash build up.

Thank you for your trip notes.
I would think that Delta still fills every row? So despite not having someone in the middle seat, there could still be someone in your lap. We're flying Delta on way there and American on way back, which I would guess tries to fill completely, inc. middle seat, since they're in rougher shape, don't have as much cash build up.

They did not block rows front-to-back, no. Not even in First. But they are using some kind of super HEPA filter like what is used in surgical rooms. Between that, everyone wearing masks, extra cleaning of the plane between flights and the individual wipes to clean your own area again if you want, I felt very safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter