Wife and I just got back from a quick spur of the moment trip Sunday till Tuesday staying at Copper Creek..

Here are some thoughts
Booked a Studio and when we arrived, we were upgraded to a 2nd floor 1 Bedroom overlooking the pool towards the end of the hall. Great spot to exit right out the room down to the pool and the pool bar.

Tickets go by what appears to be most restrictive...what I mean by that is, I booked the room 1st, then bought and made reservations for the parks. I wanted to do HS on Sunday, but it was sold out for resort guests, but not for people who purchased tickets....so when I said, I am buying tickets not using my AP, they told me I should have gotten the tickets 1st as they had availability, but because I got my resort 1st...they go by that. I thought that was strange. Something to keep in mind. On another note...we are AP holders (silver) blacked out till the 7th of Aug. I thought that if I bought tickets I can have the cost of those tickets applied to my renewal...but was told that was not the case. They said I am blocked out right now, and in order for me to do that I would have to purchase the tickets while I was not blocked out and use them then...so I never realized that. They said it is so if I want to go say to HS and it is sold out for passholders but not people purchasing tickets, buy the tickets and tell them to apply it to your renewal...

Going to the parks and resorts right now is really hard on the spur of the moment, at least it was for us. If you don’t have a reservation for dinner at the resort or TS at the parks prior to arrival....they are basically sold out. We got lucky at Y&Y at AK when the manager was at the front checkin desk and he hooked us up with a table, but you couldn’t get in anything all day and night at both AK and HS Sunday or Monday. Might not seem like a big deal, but when it is over 100 with heat index...going inside to sit for lunch and a drink is a blessing. At the lodge, you could do QS or limited menu at pool bar, which we wound up doing both nights.

Pools are pretty easy to deal with...not really crowded at all and plenty of space to socially distance and hang out. Only thing we found strange was the number of people who went out on Monday morning to the pool outside of Boulder Ridge and put towels all over the seats with cover at 7am ....lol felt like we were on a cruise. 20+ towels out....3 people in the pool. All in all we enjoyed hanging out at the pool in the evening both nights and cooling off.

As most people have said...Disney does a great job with both social distancing and cleaning. We felt safe the entire time without issue, both on the rides and walking around. Speaking of rides...no lines for anything we did...they were all walk on. We did get Rise of the Resistance passes at 10 am...the ride is different with all the new Covid stuff...from the barriers...to the shuttle part of the ride...to the end of the ride. Not the same as opening day and opening week. So side not for anyone trying to get on the ride....reboot your phone when you get into the park...turn of WiFi and Bluetooth and go stand up against the railing of the lake in the center of the park...open the app 1.5 mins before 10...we have never had a problem getting in the virtual queue doing this... WiFi, Bluetooth, buildings and crowds will mess with your ability to get thru.

What else....we drove to the parks both days...didn’t do any transportation
Was hot as heck both days....phew
Enjoyed our time together back in the parks

Wife and I just got back from a quick spur of the moment trip Sunday till Tuesday staying at Copper Creek..

Here are some thoughts
Booked a Studio and when we arrived, we were upgraded to a 2nd floor 1 Bedroom overlooking the pool towards the end of the hall. Great spot to exit right out the room down to the pool and the pool bar.

Tickets go by what appears to be most restrictive...what I mean by that is, I booked the room 1st, then bought and made reservations for the parks. I wanted to do HS on Sunday, but it was sold out for resort guests, but not for people who purchased tickets....so when I said, I am buying tickets not using my AP, they told me I should have gotten the tickets 1st as they had availability, but because I got my resort 1st...they go by that. I thought that was strange. Something to keep in mind. On another note...we are AP holders (silver) blacked out till the 7th of Aug. I thought that if I bought tickets I can have the cost of those tickets applied to my renewal...but was told that was not the case. They said I am blocked out right now, and in order for me to do that I would have to purchase the tickets while I was not blocked out and use them then...so I never realized that. They said it is so if I want to go say to HS and it is sold out for passholders but not people purchasing tickets, buy the tickets and tell them to apply it to your renewal...

Going to the parks and resorts right now is really hard on the spur of the moment, at least it was for us. If you don’t have a reservation for dinner at the resort or TS at the parks prior to arrival....they are basically sold out. We got lucky at Y&Y at AK when the manager was at the front checkin desk and he hooked us up with a table, but you couldn’t get in anything all day and night at both AK and HS Sunday or Monday. Might not seem like a big deal, but when it is over 100 with heat index...going inside to sit for lunch and a drink is a blessing. At the lodge, you could do QS or limited menu at pool bar, which we wound up doing both nights.

Pools are pretty easy to deal with...not really crowded at all and plenty of space to socially distance and hang out. Only thing we found strange was the number of people who went out on Monday morning to the pool outside of Boulder Ridge and put towels all over the seats with cover at 7am ....lol felt like we were on a cruise. 20+ towels out....3 people in the pool. All in all we enjoyed hanging out at the pool in the evening both nights and cooling off.

As most people have said...Disney does a great job with both social distancing and cleaning. We felt safe the entire time without issue, both on the rides and walking around. Speaking of rides...no lines for anything we did...they were all walk on. We did get Rise of the Resistance passes at 10 am...the ride is different with all the new Covid stuff...from the barriers...to the shuttle part of the ride...to the end of the ride. Not the same as opening day and opening week. So side not for anyone trying to get on the ride....reboot your phone when you get into the park...turn of WiFi and Bluetooth and go stand up against the railing of the lake in the center of the park...open the app 1.5 mins before 10...we have never had a problem getting in the virtual queue doing this... WiFi, Bluetooth, buildings and crowds will mess with your ability to get thru.

What else....we drove to the parks both days...didn’t do any transportation
Was hot as heck both days....phew
Enjoyed our time together back in the parks
I find the whole 'people with tickets getting priority over resort guests because their bucket is not sold out' rather annoying. I understand that they already have the resort guests' package ticket $$ and want to make more from those buying tickets, but it is still annoying.

Back from 9 days at WDW July 18-26. We had 1.5 days at Epcot, 2 days at DHS, 2 days at AK and 2.25 days at MK.

These are my observations and impressions. It's possible someone else has a different experience, because the same way you cannot step into the same river twice, you cannot step into the same park twice, LOL!

Highlights and Positives:
1. Overall - IMHO, Disney hit it out of the ballpark in terms of safety, while balancing providing an amazing experience in the middle of a pandemic. My DH got really cold feet about a week before we were scheduled to leave, It was around the time that FL hit 15,000 new cases in one day and he asked me (rather passive-aggressively) "we are not really going to FL next weekend, are we?" I had been monitoring the pictures and reports here on DISBoards and I said to him, "I really think it's going to be fine." And it was. Low crowds allowed physical-distancing and masks were enforced (more on this later). Low crowds made our visit much more relaxing and pleasant (more on this later too).

2. Mask Enforcement - One of the concerns of many here on the DISboards was whether masks would be enforced. We noticed that mask enforcement got proactively and progressively better after the first couple of days. For example, on our first say (July 18th) at Epcot, I saw plenty of people with masks down, walking and eating. On our second Epcot day, I did not see a single person walking and eating with the masks down. I saw CMs walking around with a sign that said: "Wear a face covering unless stopped to eat or drink." There were signs on each cart/restaurant that said "Face coverings are to be worn at all times except when actively eating or drinking while stationary and physically distanced."

Saw a couple on the right pathway (by the old rose garden) to the side of the castle taking a selfie. They were the only ones there - there was no one within at least a 30-40 feet radius from them, and a CM yelled at them all the way from the bridge to Fantasyland to put on their mask.

I also started hearing reminders that face covering must cover nose and mouth while on the ride more as the trip went along. On our last few days, I would say mask compliance at resort, parks, transportation, etc., was in the 99%. It was that good. Most guests we encountered were really good about proper wear.

3. Lower Crowds - We enjoyed being able to move around the walkways without bumping into people. It made the experience most pleasant and made physical distancing possible. DHS seemed the most "congested," but MK definitely had the most people. Epcot was the least congested.

4. Waits / No FPs - Some waits were longer than FastPass+ lines. We waited 20 minutes for 7DMT. 20 minutes is nothing if you have been in one of the typical 120 minute lines there, but with FP+, I've never waited more than 5 minutes. Same with Jungle Cruise. But, some had as short or shorter waits without FPs. Space Mountain was often a walk-on for us this trip. Test Track and Soarin were walk-ons in the evening!

And the total experience of not being bound to a specific time or having to refresh to get additional FPs made the total experience more positive for my family. If the crowd levels stay the way they are, I think this is a win over FP+. Also, being able to finally walk through the queues, for example, at FoP, and finally see them was great.

5. Characters - We really enjoyed the roaming cavalcades and thought they were more fun than waiting for the Meet and Greets. The ones on the boats at AK were so original and fun. Characters (Rey, Vi Moradi, Storm Troopers, etc.) popped up on top of the low buildings at SWGE. Very cool. And my absolute favorite were Anastasia and Drizella on the castle. they interacted from up there with guests. They were a hoot!

6. QS/Mobile Ordering - This worked well. Cpt Cooks at Poly was very fast and the food was good/fresh. At the parks, we had to wait a while at Pecos Bill, but Cosmic Ray's was very quick. I wish they all had mobile order. At Epcot, many places do not have the mobile ordering set-up yet at the World Showcase. Tangeriene Cafe did NOT have mobile order and someone snagged our food. After we realized that they handed the tray to the wrong party, I had to convince them that "no, the other party wasn't part of my party and I never got my lamb." LOL. My only issue is that customizations were more limited than what you could do when you talked to a human (more on this below).

7. TS Dining - We mostly enjoyed the TS dining. The food tasted fresh and the restaurants were limited in capacity. Some did a better job than others at spacing. Shout outs to Sci-Fi, Tiffins, Wine Bar George, Yak & Yeti and Spice Road for excellent spacing between parties (more than 6 feet, which I feel it is appropriate indoors). You will need reservations for Sci-Fi and Yak & Yeti. Saw tons of people being turned away, and when you are seated inside you can understand why as capacity was greatly reduced to allow for distancing.

Tiffins and Cali Grill showed why they are Signatures and I highly recommend them. Food was at least as good as in previous trips, wines still great and they had more variety in the menu than most of the 'reduced' menus in other restaurants.

8. Lounges - We love the lounges, and ate/drank at Baseline, Oga's, Nomad's. More on this below...

9. Taste of Epcot - The indoor "Festival Marketplace" with 4 booths had plenty of distanced tables and A/C. Great place for a food break. Lines for booths were non-existent and a great experience overall.

10. Mariachi Cobre/Marimba de las Americas and Jammitors - Were a highlight of the week. These were the only performances this week and we loved them. Very few people in the huge outdoor auditorium. Go see them!

11. RotR - If you can get there, it's worth trying for a boarding group. It's a great ride.

12. MMRR - Very cute and a wonderful addition to DHS. I know many won't agree, but I thought it was better than GMR.

13. Poly - Poly was spotless, and the quiet pool (Oasis) was a delight in the mornings and afternoons (while people were in the parks and at dinner).

14. Transportation - We drove to all the parks from Poly, so I cannot comment on the bus. Just felt safer having our vehicle. Parking was quick and efficient. I highly recommend having a car.

Things We Missed /Caveats
15. QS/Mobile Ordering - Customization through the app were limited. For example, at Pecos Bill, I wanted a salad with the taco beef topping. Nope. You can have nachos with the beef topping or salad with chicken or pork, but not a salad with beef topping. I mostly eat low carb and there wasn't always a way to swap out the carb sides for non-carb sides elsewhere on the menu. Menus were also limited, so only a few options, especially for those with food preferences.

16. Lounges - Nomad's menu is pretty short now and you cannot order anymore from the Tiffin's menu. :sad1: Also, Tutto Gusto was listed in the app as being open, but it's only open to sit guests from Tutto Italia. There isn't really a Lounge with food anymore at Epcot as Tutto Gusto is closed and Cava is only serving booze (no guac and chips).

17. Performers / Performances - We really missed the non-rides/streetsmosphere/performers. Some of our favorite things to watch are on an indefinite pause - Monster's Laugh Floor, Citizens of Hollywood, Dapper Dans, Beauty and the Beast show, FotLK, Nemo, Epcot's countries performers (acrobats, serveur amusant, sergio, etc.), AK performers, etc. The harambe drummers were on a float, and they sounded wonderful, but they went by fast and left you wishing you could listen to them some more.

18. Need More Mask Reminders - As the week went along, this got better, but at the beginning of the week not every ride was reminding guests to keep their nose and mouth covered. The guy next to me pulled his mask down on FoP. I only had one banshee between me and him. More reminders are needed. This did get much better as the week got along.

19. Transportation - At monorail, they would sit two parties per doorway - one on each couch, which is much better than the usual cramming that used to happen. However, we were sat across from someone who was wearing one of those masks with the vent and the space did not seem large enough for being indoors with basically someone across from you being maskless. Yeah, I hear those masks with valves are now banned (thankfully), but I think two parties is too much for one doorway. if someone takes off a mask, it can lead to a confrontation. We opted for the Ferryboat, but the walkway from Poly wasn't open until after 9 am, so for those trying to arrive at MK early, that option would not work.

20. TS Dining - Some restaurants felt rather crowded, even being at 50% capacity. Kona was the worst one. Only about 6 feet between parties. Just too little for indoor spacing, IMHO. Raglan Road also seemed rather close too.

21. Evening Pool Time - With only the quiet (Oasis) pool open after 9pm, and no fireworks or spectaculars to pull guests away, the Oasis pool after 8:30pm felt like the Lava pool at 4pm in July 2019. Distancing was difficult.

22. Housekeping during Trip - I'm not a fan of the "light housekeeping." 8 nights and they came once. Another time, they knocked after 9pm to see if we wanted housekeeping. Hmm, not at that time, no, thank you.

OK, so those are my experiences. I will try to dig up come pics of this stuff. Ask away!
Did you see toddler age kids wearing masks? Curious about the 2-3 age range.

Did you see toddler age kids wearing masks? Curious about the 2-3 age range.
Yes, tons of little ones! They did great with masks. Do you have 2-year old? make sure they have worn masks in your neighborhood. It will be easier at Disney because EVERYONE is wearing it, including all the kids, and the CMs will nicely remind them, and there is so much to see and do they forget. They follow whatever the adults were doing.

Yes, tons of little ones! They did great with masks. Do you have 2-year old? make sure they have worn masks in your neighborhood. It will be easier at Disney because EVERYONE is wearing it, including all the kids, and the CMs will nicely remind them, and there is so much to see and do they forget. They follow whatever the adults were doing.
Yes he’s just over two and we feel he will be ok. We are just concerned about being asked to leave if he struggles.

EDITED TO ADD:
We're both working from home and able to self-quarantine until we can get tested and get results. Advice is to wait 3-5 days before getting tested, and here it's taking 24-48 hours for results. We're basically behaving as if we've caught it, just in case.

I'm curious why you are getting tested, if you are quarantining anyway. We got back last Wednesday and are quarantining for 14 days. We also can work from home. I wasn't even going to bother getting tested. We just check our temps everyday and have been since mid-March. Plus, getting tested here in Austin requires you to show symptoms and can take more than a week to get results.

I'm curious why you are getting tested, if you are quarantining anyway. We got back last Wednesday and are quarantining for 14 days. We also can work from home. I wasn't even going to bother getting tested. We just check our temps everyday and have been since mid-March. Plus, getting tested here in Austin requires you to show symptoms and can take more than a week to get results.
Are you quarantining by choice or are you being told to?

I'd tag on and say I agree with your method as safer. A test at 3-5 days post trip means you dont have a sufficient viral load at that point in time. But there are still 9-11 days when you could potentially have a viral load high enough to infect others. Getting the test mid incubation period is problematic to me for a few reasons:
1-I'd expect at least some people would take that negative as a go ahead to stop quarantining
2-You arent quarantining when you go out to get the test
3-False negatives are still higher than I'd like to see
4-That test, which really doesnt tell you if you brought anything home since it's mid incubation, could be taking testing capacity away from someone that needs it or contributing to a longer result time frame, it feels like a waste of a test to me

I also dont see any upside to the test. It's not as if you can safely stop quarantining until 14 days past your trip end. There isnt really anything you can take if you are asymptomatic yet positive that has been proven effective at helping. I guess if you take a bad turn you can tell the ICU people you already have a positive test from X date but that seems like a negligible benefit. But I am also in an area where you cant just get a test because you want one (and traveling isnt a good enough reason to get a test) so maybe that is coloring my perception, I'd have to lie about symptoms to get tested.

Curious to see what the reason is for testing at that point because I've seen several people say it and, like I said above, I can only think of reasons not to and no real reason to get tested.

I'd tag on and say I agree with your method as safer. A test at 3-5 days post trip means you dont have a sufficient viral load at that point in time. But there are still 9-11 days when you could potentially have a viral load high enough to infect others. Getting the test mid incubation period is problematic to me for a few reasons:
1-I'd expect at least some people would take that negative as a go ahead to stop quarantining
2-You arent quarantining when you go out to get the test
3-False negatives are still higher than I'd like to see
4-That test, which really doesnt tell you if you brought anything home since it's mid incubation, could be taking testing capacity away from someone that needs it or contributing to a longer result time frame, it feels like a waste of a test to me

I also dont see any upside to the test. It's not as if you can safely stop quarantining until 14 days past your trip end. There isnt really anything you can take if you are asymptomatic yet positive that has been proven effective at helping. I guess if you take a bad turn you can tell the ICU people you already have a positive test from X date but that seems like a negligible benefit. But I am also in an area where you cant just get a test because you want one (and traveling isnt a good enough reason to get a test) so maybe that is coloring my perception, I'd have to lie about symptoms to get tested.

Curious to see what the reason is for testing at that point because I've seen several people say it and, like I said above, I can only think of reasons not to and no real reason to get tested.
Got tested today because I was forced to for surgery on Fri. I honestly didn’t even know how the test was supposed to be done. They shoved the swab so hard up each nostril that I laid back hard. Here in IL we have drive by tests, free, for anyone to test anytime. But I had to go to a dr for a quicker turnaround test.

Got tested today because I was forced to for surgery on Fri. I honestly didn’t even know how the test was supposed to be done. They shoved the swab so hard up each nostril that I laid back hard. Here in IL we have drive by tests, free, for anyone to test anytime. But I had to go to a dr for a quicker turnaround test.
GL! Ive heard both that the tests are bad and that they arent. I guess it depends on your personal comfort level. If I insert something into my nose (dont ask how I know, just accept it as fact LOL) I tend to sneeze. Slightly terrified of that with respect to testing. It wouldnt keep me from going if I felt it was best for the situation but it does make me nervous.

Ive heard the drive thru testing at CVS here is self administered. I dont know that I'd trust myself to successfully do that (especially if I had never had one properly administered before).

Here now. Arrived Saturday, staying until 8/8, 3 resorts. Flew from MHT on Southwest. MHT was so-so with masks. The Dunkin employee had her nose exposed and then saw a security guard come over to talk with her...no mask on the security guard. Thankfully felt very safe on Southwest. Our flight was less than half full, smelled super clean. Everyone wore masks unless actively eating/drinking. Had empty rows in front and behind our 2 rows, just people across the aisle from us. Picked up our luggage at MCO, used DME. Was on a bus in 15 minutes, we were 3rd stop. DME leaving 2 rows empty between groups, and assigning you spots to sit. Group in front of us took off their masks for the ride, unfortunately.

First 5 NTS at Grand Floridian villas, studio. One of the worst balcony views...view of portico roof and a sliver of monorail...oh well... someone was going to get that room guess it was our turn. Just a warning about mobile order at Gasparilla grill... check the slip on the bag of food when you pick it up, we've had numerous items missing that we paid for. If you tell them before you leave, and can show your order confirmation, they'll give you the items. Haven't gone to pool yet. Close to 100% mask compliance around resort. Used monorail to go to MK Sunday and today. Sunday we were put in a car with 2 maskless people on way to MK. Other trips we were the only ones in our car. Bus to Epcot Monday, we were only ones on bus TO Epcot. Full bus back, everyone had masks and were in their assigned areas.

Epcot felt too empty on Monday in world showcase. Mask compliance 95%. Only waits for rides was due to cleaning procedures, Frozen and the land were around half hour waits. It was hot! Had dinner at Rose and Crown after showers had come through, so it was comfortable outside eating. Cheese board was yummy.

Magic kingdom was much more crowded today (Tuesday) than it was Sunday. Bottlenecks noticeable by Peter pan/small world. Mask compliance was actually better today than Sunday, but it felt cooler and less humid today, so that may be why. It was excellent both days, but only saw a couple noses today. More strollers around today as well. Sunday we had lunch at liberty tree tavern...they seated us in diamond horseshoe. It was a much needed mask free a/c break. Tables were spaced well, felt safe. Food yummy! Today we did mobile order at Pinocchio for lunch around 12:30. It was a cluster of people/chaos inside after getting the text our order was ready. Eventually got our food, ended up eating outside as no tables free inside, but it was fine, felt safer outside after the chaos inside. Had dinner at The Wave. Tables well spaced and food was delicious.

Masks, we're all wearing cloth ones, 1/day. I have disposables and extra cloth in our day pack just in case. DH and I are using cloth ones from Old Navy, great price for them ($2.50/mask). Patterned ones seem thicker/harder to breathe through in the humidity. Solid colors were thinner and more comfortable outside. Kids (20 and 16) have K-pop themed ones, different material. We're all doing well with them, but it's nice to have a break during lunch/dinner.

We're having a good time, nice to be here after 4 months at home. It is definitely different though. Disney has done a great job with safety precautions. Love the social distancing in lines and on rides. But people are people, you need to be comfortable with less than 100% compliance.

Will try to report more if I have a chance during our trip.

For those of you flying Southwest, are they still doing the lineup for boarding ahead of time? How are they handling distancing that way?

What is everyone doing with their towels & garbage with limited housekeeping? I'm packing garbage bags because normally our garbage is full every day because the trash cans are so small.

What is everyone doing with their towels & garbage with limited housekeeping? I'm packing garbage bags because normally our garbage is full every day because the trash cans are so small.
We are in a Jambo villa. They are stopping by every day to pick up trash even though we don’t have any housekeeping scheduled for our six day stay. She usually asks if we need anything else. A bit annoying, because yesterday she knocked and came in even though the Room Occupied sign was out, and woke us (including the baby) from our afternoon nap. I realize the sign had been out all day, but my son was in the room working remotely all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter