This happened to us and it was honestly a blessing in disguise. If you are at the front of the Pop Skyliner line and it doesn’t end up running, they will start towards the front and apologize and say you will have to take buses. Don’t wait around, longer, question....just GO! Get to the bus stop ASAP! It takes a few minutes for people to process what’s going on and for news to get to the back of the Skyliner line. A bus showed up within minutes and we were headed directly to HS, no transfer mess at CBR or worrying about how we would end up in line there. We basically walked on MMRR and Slinky Dog and secured a BG before our Slinky ride. But like I said if it goes down HUSTLE! After the announcement, many people were aggravated and stood around a min or two to get their bearings, some had strollers with kids and food spread out, so just be prepared and move! 😂
Got it!! Thanks for the advice.

I just want to put this out there that I really appreciate all the info here-positive and negative. As the mother of a teen with autism, we usually know what to expect and just roll with it, but are use to using FP for the things he enjoys and we know we won't have that this time. On top of that, having several members of the group who have been sitting on hands waiting to visit SWGE, it puts extra pressure on me(the planner) to know what's going on. I have a husband who doesn't want to deal with anything until he gets there and then he wants to know it ALL. Fun for me, right???

I have the extra fear of not being able to get what my son wants to eat when he's in the park. I am trying to get a handle on the food situation, but you never really truly know until you get there! Anyway, it has really helped hearing what all of your experiences have been and I appreciate the effort in coming here and imparting your knowledge to those of us who haven't been yet. :flower1: :flower1:

I also want to amend my Tuesday post a bit. I returned to DHS at about 5pm on Tuesday following a restful visit to the Volcano pool. I knew I had a backup boarding group, which would probably not be activated, and I thought I'd see what I could ride and then head to a 7:30 ADR at Sanaa.

Some Disney Magic began to hit my trip. I had a walk-on for Midway Madness, then checked out the Walt Disney Story. That put me in a better mood so I got into the line for MMRR at 5:45. It was a long, long line. But I got on the ride and emerged at the end right at 7:00pm. I know that I should have left then to drive to Kidani, but my phone beeped. They were boarding my group. In fact they went out as far as Group 82 that night, right at closing time! I ran to SWGE and got in line. It was a long line, and a long attraction. I thought the attraction was excellent! The CM actors who play the Empire were pretty scary, and they were good actors!

I got off the ride at about 7:55pm. Now horribly late for my ADR with Sanaa I rushed to the exit. It was after dark, most of the crowds were gone, and the Studios look great after dark. I got to Sanaa, parked, went inside and explained what had happened. They said they'd still seat me even though I was almost an hour late. I hung around the animal observation area for a while--there were two fantastic wildlife experts there answering questions.

I got a text from the restaurant, went inside, and had a huge meal. So it turned out to be a good Disney day! I'm not sure if it was the Polynesian pool or seeing the Walt Disney Story that changed my luck.

For the Rest of our DHS day, we returned at 5:30. We were able to go on a ToT, RnRC and SDD by 7 and then went over to our 7:35 ADR at Sci Fi. Great server. The food was barely basic. Fried pickles were the winner, and the wedge salad was fine. One serving of the chicken pasta would have fed us all. It was fine. The glazed donut with apples and ice cream was incredibly stale and a 10 dollar bad choice. But we weren’t there for the food. Meredith wanted to take Her fiance, and they had fun being an engaged couple at the drive in. Gorgeous being the last out of the park.
As we apporached our van, we saw it surrounded by security vehicles. And the security guy shouted out my husband’s name. Uh oh. It turned out a cat had crawled up into our engine. Amd they ran our plates and were able to get into my MDE to try to track us down. They had tried to call, but my phone sound was turned off. But by the time we got out there, the cat had gone into the security guy’s engine, and 7 of them were trying to coax it out. Grateful that our engine was clear, and that no one had bashed us, and hoping the best for the yowling kitty, we made our way home.

Last edited:
Are most people who get into DHS getting Rise groups if they do the proper steps at opening?

Is Disney allowing you to get one at 10 am and at 2 pm?
I don't think so. When we were there in July they were doing three times a day to try to get a boarding group. We had four people trying all three opportunities and did not get a boarding group. We had been before in January and successfully gotten a boarding group. It was very frustrating!

Was there September 13-18. Hotter than heck, and I live in the South. Unbearable. Went to HS on Tuesday, and couldn't do/ride anything. (Actually adult daughter got there before me and she rode Slinky). The next day we went to MK. She walked right onto Space Mountain. Mine Train was 45 minutes. So, we did things we normally wouldn't do: Dumbo, Goofy Barnstormer, Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan, walked onto Thunder Mountain). Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain wait times were ridiculous...and this was a Wednesday!
Can I ask what qualifies as a ridiculous wait time? Was it posted time, or just the length of the lines in either park? I'm honestly curious - we leave in about 2-/12 weeks for our first visit and there are so many conflicting reports.

It turned out a cat had crawled up into our engine. Amd they ran our plates and were able to get into my MDE to try to track us down. They had tried to call, but my phone sound was turned off. But by the time we got out there, the cat had gone into the security guy’s engine, and 7 of them were trying to coax it out. Grateful that our engine was clear, and that no one had bashed us, and hoping the best for the yowling kitty, we made our way home.

Im sorry but this needs more of an explanation! I knew there were cats at DLR... but HS? Was it someone’s pet or are there wild HS kittens that I am unaware of? I follow the DLR cat Instagram so I will keep an eye out for cats next time in FL as well if this is accurate! We are looking to adopt a cat... 🐈

Im sorry but this needs more of an explanation! I knew there were cats at DLR... but HS? Was it someone’s pet or are there wild HS kittens that I am unaware of? I follow the DLR cat Instagram so I will keep an eye out for cats next time in FL as well if this is accurate! We are looking to adopt a cat... 🐈
During my last visit to the YC, I spotted a large, well-fed black cat, walking through bushes in front of the resort. A couple of Disney security guards told me that Disney took good care of the cats, as the cats took good care of Disney. I don’t know about cats wandering parking lots, but they are around the resort hotels.

This made me laugh, sorry, yes there are cats at wdw, as well as gators, snakes, wild turkeys and a lot of other wildlife :) stay late at a theme park after closing and you start seeing them

Last edited:
I just want to put this out there that I really appreciate all the info here-positive and negative. As the mother of a teen with autism, we usually know what to expect and just roll with it, but are use to using FP for the things he enjoys and we know we won't have that this time. On top of that, having several members of the group who have been sitting on hands waiting to visit SWGE, it puts extra pressure on me(the planner) to know what's going on. I have a husband who doesn't want to deal with anything until he gets there and then he wants to know it ALL. Fun for me, right???

I have the extra fear of not being able to get what my son wants to eat when he's in the park. I am trying to get a handle on the food situation, but you never really truly know until you get there! Anyway, it has really helped hearing what all of your experiences have been and I appreciate the effort in coming here and imparting your knowledge to those of us who haven't been yet. :flower1: :flower1:
A couple of things, you know you can use a DAS card, this way you won't need to wait in line, you can wait while wandering the park, second as far as food options you can go to mde now and see what restaurants and food items are available and try and prepare him for it.

But my big question for WDW is what is the criteria they are using before they start to increase ride capacity, open more restaurants, etc??? Right now it seems completely arbitrary which my logical brain doesn't appreciate that much.

Ride capacity is not arbitrary. They put as many people on as they can while maintaining a six foot distance between groups. They do need to call the actors union back and figure out how to run the shows safely. Not sure if all of the shows can be modified to keep the actors apart but some of them can.

Did MK yesterday. Arrived at toll plaza at 8:08, about ten cars back. Had to wait for them to open. Took the ferry over and walked into the park at 8:50. Went to 7DMT but the line wrapped around past tea cups already. Did BTMR, said 5, took 20. Splash was up so did that next- 25mn. We dislike waiting more than 20mn for anything (other than Smugglers Run for me- 25-30 is fine because I can enjoy the queue)- even 20 is pushing it. Pirates, Splash, Space, Jungle Cruise, and 7DMT had 40+ mn wait most of the day. We also did Pooh, Philharmagic, Ariel, Dumbo, HM, saw a few calvacades, Peter Pan, Small World, and browsed the gift store a few mn. Waited 10-20mn for each ride. We left at 3:45.

Been watching the HS wait times and they’re insane. They’re letting too many people in. There should not be a 45+ mn wait for everything most of the day. We’re probably going to drop our park pass for Friday and go elsewhere.

Ride capacity is not arbitrary. They put as many people on as they can while maintaining a six foot distance between groups. They do need to call the actors union back and figure out how to run the shows safely. Not sure if all of the shows can be modified to keep the actors apart but some of them can.

Did MK yesterday. Arrived at toll plaza at 8:08, about ten cars back. Had to wait for them to open. Took the ferry over and walked into the park at 8:50. Went to 7DMT but the line wrapped around past tea cups already. Did BTMR, said 5, took 20. Splash was up so did that next- 25mn. We dislike waiting more than 20mn for anything (other than Smugglers Run for me- 25-30 is fine because I can enjoy the queue)- even 20 is pushing it. Pirates, Splash, Space, Jungle Cruise, and 7DMT had 40+ mn wait most of the day. We also did Pooh, Philharmagic, Ariel, Dumbo, HM, saw a few calvacades, Peter Pan, Small World, and browsed the gift store a few mn. Waited 10-20mn for each ride. We left at 3:45.

Been watching the HS wait times and they’re insane. They’re letting too many people in. There should not be a 45+ mn wait for everything most of the day. We’re probably going to drop our park pass for Friday and go elsewhere.
It's being reported on here that many of the rides are routinely only running half the tracks, half the boats, half the ride vehicles, etc. - even though said vehicles are placed well apart. Which means they are not putting as many people on as they can with social distancing. It means they can hire less staff and use less power, wear & tear, etc. to run the park. It was common before COVID, too. The OP is correct that they are increasing park capacity without also increasing attraction capacity.

Last edited:
It's being reported on here that many of the rides are routinely only running half the tracks, half the boats, half the ride vehicles, etc. - even though said vehicles are placed well apart. Which means they are not putting as many people on as they can with social distancing. It means they can hire less staff and use less power, wear & tear, etc. to run the park. It was common before COVID, too. The OP is correct that they are increasing park capacity without also increasing attraction capacity.
just a reminder this is not the thread to point out what Disney is doing right or wrong, simply to post your experience if you have come or to ask a questions about their experience to those who have come.
We don't know if Disney is purposefully closing sides on attractions all day long, we can see if we go at any specific time if one side is closed that doesn't mean it is closed all the time, it might be getting ready to launch, it might be getting a cleaning or it might be closed all day long.
Attraction CM both f/t and p/t have all been recalled and by their union agreements they have to hit a certain number of hours, also Disney has allowed CM that have been recalled to stay furloughed if they so wish until December
So again we really don't know for sure unless we work in the operations management department at Disney

Honestly, it was a little creepy that as we came in shouting distance of our car, a jovial guy started shOuting my husband’s name. And they knew my phone number. And where we were eating dinner. Amd that we are moving onto property on Oct3 for a 2 night stay at OKW. If the First Order takes over WDW, we are all in trouble. The cat sounded terrified. And it was great to see 7 security guys so determined to save the cat. They had a net. And sardines amd looked prepared to take apart the engine. Also glad it wasn’t our engine at that point.

Okay, so I've been keeping up with this thread but I still have some questions.

- We are staying offsite so we will be driving to the parks. Am I correct understanding that since we have to wait for the parking lot to open, we will not be able to get into the parks earlier than the scheduled opening time? If so, would using an Uber be better since they can bypass parking in the lot? If this would be better, what are your recommendations on getting to the park entrance from other than the parking lot?
- Also, we are planning to go the first part of November. Any opinions on that being a better time to go since Halloween will be over and Thanksgiving will still be 2 weeks out. I'm hoping the crowds will die down a bit and the lines not be outrageously long as they have been this month. I'm praying that everyone rescheduled for September and not November. :)

Thanks for your help. Tickets have not been purchased yet so we can go somewhere else if we decide to cancel this trip.

- We are staying offsite so we will be driving to the parks. Am I correct understanding that since we have to wait for the parking lot to open, we will not be able to get into the parks earlier than the scheduled opening time? If so, would using an Uber be better since they can bypass parking in the lot? If this would be better, what are your recommendations on getting to the park entrance from other than the parking lot?
- Also, we are planning to go the first part of November. Any opinions on that being a better time to go since Halloween will be over and Thanksgiving will still be 2 weeks out. I'm hoping the crowds will die down a bit and the lines not be outrageously long as they have been this month. I'm praying that everyone rescheduled for September and not November. :)

Thanks for your help. Tickets have not been purchased yet so we can go somewhere else if we decide to cancel this trip.
The only parking that taking an uber bypass is mk, for the other 3 you need to line up with everyone else, unless you uber to the speedway across boardwalk and from there you can walk to either dhs or epcot ig

You can line up for the parking an hour before park opening and they let you in within 15 mins so you can park and be inside a park before opening

Am I correct understanding that since we have to wait for the parking lot to open, we will not be able to get into the parks earlier than the scheduled opening time?
The lots typically open 45 minutes before the scheduled opening time. So you may be able to actually get into the park early even if you park in the lot.

The classic rope drop seems to be what I’ve found works best for me at DHS. I was literally the first person to park on the parking lot and U was able to ride Micke and Minnie’s, Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster before the park officially opened at 10 am. I also got a boarding group for Rise. The park does seem to be filling up, so I’ll probably go back to the resort after I ride Rise in a couple of hours.

Can I ask where you were in the park when you were able to score a boarding group? Also did you start a MMRR or go straight to RNR? Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter