• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We started our day at Topolino’s this morning and then headed to Magic Kingdom around 11:00AM. Magic Kingdom provided the perfect Christmas morning atmosphere! We watched all the cavalcades (1 1/2 year old in tow) and then headed to ride the carousel. Posted wait time was 30 minutes, we waited about 15 minutes. We rode Dumbo as well and that was about the same. Picked up our Christmas Tree cupcake and Christmas Tree popcorn bucket on Main Street. Around 4:00PM we left and went to eat at Kona Cafe. We returned around 7:00PM. I have to say...even with the “crowds” I felt really comfortable in the earlier part of the day. It seemed way more packed to me in the evening. We were here in October as well and this was the first time I felt a little uneasy. We waited about 25 minutes for Small World, took photos in front of the Castle, and headed out a little after 9:00PM. I was pretty satisfied with our day and felt like it might have been the only time we will ever have the opportunity to visit MK on Christmas Day without wall to wall people. We will be back at MK on Monday.

We arrived today. Staying off site tonight and checking into Shades of Green tomorrow. We attempted to go to Disney Springs around 5:30 but it was closed and at capacity. Traffic around DS was really bad. Decided to go to Coronado Springs and have dinner at Three Bridges. Parking there was super easy and hassle free. The restaurant walk up list was only a 5 minute wait. It was cold (open air seating) but they had heaters so it was manageable. After dinner thought we’d go get dessert but hit roadblocks trying to enter and park at the Boardwalk and the Riviera. Tried again to go to DS which now showed open but traffic was still horrible and the line of cars trying to get in was crazy. After sitting in that mess for a while, we decided to come back to our hotel and rest since we are getting up early tomorrow. Hopefully when the weekend is over DS will be easier to enter. I guess we will see.
DS is busiest on the weekends so with yesterday being a Friday and Christmas Day, I believe what you experienced is quite common right now.

I was surprised the parks did not reach capacity yesterday, at least that I saw. Traditionally MK reaches it early in the day.
Well, I wonder whether they would still put out the same “at capacity“ notice when they reach their current limit, which is 35% of normal Christmas Day capacity!

We arrived today. Staying off site tonight and checking into Shades of Green tomorrow. We attempted to go to Disney Springs around 5:30 but it was closed and at capacity. Traffic around DS was really bad. Decided to go to Coronado Springs and have dinner at Three Bridges. Parking there was super easy and hassle free. The restaurant walk up list was only a 5 minute wait. It was cold (open air seating) but they had heaters so it was manageable. After dinner thought we’d go get dessert but hit roadblocks trying to enter and park at the Boardwalk and the Riviera. Tried again to go to DS which now showed open but traffic was still horrible and the line of cars trying to get in was crazy. After sitting in that mess for a while, we decided to come back to our hotel and rest since we are getting up early tomorrow. Hopefully when the weekend is over DS will be easier to enter. I guess we will see.
We went to Disney Springs last night at 5:15pm . Sign said it was at capacity, but surface parking was open and only took us 15 min to get into DS. We spent a few hours there. However social distancing was not possible for the most part. Definitely insane.

While Monday at MK and Wednesday at HS were a mess, Christmas (Friday) at MK was a dream. Low waits, low crowds, cold but manageable. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen ride lines that low even in a normal day. It felt like we had the park to ourselves. Such a great day. HS today is chill too. Just goes to show it’s all anecdotal and one day can be so different from the next.

Starbucks has been the longest wait in every park (except Epcot) so I can say that consistently that’s one line to avoid. It’s not just long, it moves at a glacial pace.

We flew home on Christmas Eve after spending 4 days in the parks, 1 park per day. Since we live in northern CA, we usually go to Disneyland around this time. That wasn't an option this year, so we decided to head to WDW for our 2nd time ever, 1st during Christmas. We had a great trip and are glad we went.

Sunday 12/20 - HS: DH got BG 53 and we were in line for the Skyliner at Pop at 7:30 for a 9am opening. We saw the line of cars waiting to get in. Got in line for temp screen and had our best interaction with a security CM. He was so genuinely happy and friendly, a perfect start to our day. We got in and went straight to MMRR, almost no wait. Cute ride! We went to SDD after and they didn't start running it until 8:45ish. We were glad we didn't go there first. We rode the swirling saucers (just like Mater!), shopped a bit, lunch at 50's PT, RotR, RNRC, ST and left in the early afternoon to go back to Pop to swim. Had dinner at Trattoria al Forno, which ended up being our absolute favorite meal of the trip. We had the best server and food was delicious! This was the one meal I wasn't sure we'd keep, so I was surprised it was such a standout.

Monday 12/21 - EP: We got in line for Skyliner around 8:45 for a 10am opening. Line looked crazy long, but moved fast. We did have to go to the end of the line at CB, but didn't take too long. Got to Epcot around 9:40 and went straight to FEA. Waited about 10 min. This is my favorite ride, so cute! It felt like all we did was eat this day between the FOH booths, late lunch at Teppan Edo and the cookie stroll. Longest wait was TT at 40 min. This is the only park we closed down and missed the Figment ride and the Seas, just ran out of time. DS12 LOVED MS, he rode it multiple times.

Tuesday 12/22 - AK: We decided sleep was more important than rope drop after our long Epcot day. Got to the bus around 9 and went straight to the Safari. Posted wait was 30, line looked intimidating, but we were on in 15. We knew we'd have a long wait for FOP, so we went there and toughed it out. Posted 90, we waited closer to 60. Never did Na'vi since it was posted at 105-120 most of the day. Lunch was supposed to be at DS, but canceled our reservation at Raglan Road because we didn't want to leave the park after getting a late start. I'd made the reservation through OpenTable and just called the restaurant directly to cancel, no fees charged. We are lunch at Satuli, which was fantastic. Rode EE, walked the animal trails, and saw the bird show. Had dinner reservations at Sanaa, so took the bus there and watched animals on the savanna for awhile. Took an uber back to Pop, so quick and easy.

Wednesday 12/23 - MK: We were up early and at the bus stop at 6:45 for an 8am opening. Went straight to SDMT, almost a walk on. Did PP, HM, BTMRR, & Pirates in the 1st hour. Definitely felt the crowds this day and lines were 30+ min all day. Splash was down most of the morning and we never did ride it since we weren't willing to wait 60+ for it. Once the line was short enough, the sun was down and it was too cold for a water ride. Had lunch at LTT, quickly became a favorite that we'll do again. Cavalcades are awesome and I hope they stick around.

We had a late afternoon flight out, so had breakfast at Whispering Canyon. Wilderness Lodge is now on our short list of where to stay next time. It's such a beautiful resort!

Sorry it's so long, but I wanted to share our experience since these boards were so helpful in my planning. We aren't super nervous about covid, but are cautious and do our best to follow the guidelines. If you're nervous about it, now probably isn't the best time. There were crowds, but Disney is doing a good job correcting mask behavior and having hand sanitizer readily available. This might be the healthiest we come back from a trip. 😆

MK was a dream yesterday. Got in line for bus at 6:30, third family in line. Bus came at around 6:40. Temp check and on seven dwarfs by 7:30 at latest I think. Did seven dwarfs twice, SM 3 times, railroad twice, splash twice in a row (brrrr), and everything else once w exception of jungle cruise (40 mins everytime we looked).
Low crowds short waits. Very cold! But wonderful Xmas day. Thank you to whoever initially said “an hour and a half “ before opening get to the bus. It was great advice!!!!

FYI for tomorrow morning, if you’re planning to walk from the Epcot resorts or gas station to the parks, DD was running the loop from BWV starting around 6:40 AM and noticed signs stating the walkway to the parks was closed. She ran on and had almost reached her turnaround point near the DHS temperature tents when a security guard came running and told her to leave because the walkway was not open until 8:00. The signs were near the BWV tennis courts and just beyond the ESPN Club. DD crossed the bridge from BWV towards Epcot but turned left to run past Y&B, so no one came out to her there.

FYI for tomorrow morning, if you’re planning to walk from the Epcot resorts or gas station to the parks, DD was running the loop from BWV starting around 6:40 AM and noticed signs stating the walkway to the parks was closed. She ran on and had almost reached her turnaround point near the DHS temperature tents when a security guard came running and told her to leave because the walkway was not open until 8:00. The signs were near the BWV tennis courts and just beyond the ESPN Club. DD crossed the bridge from BWV towards Epcot but turned left to run past Y&B, so no one came out to her there.
Interesting.

Here now. Arrived yesterday at 3pm. Did Disney Springs last night. Had 7pm ressies at Boathouse. Got there around 5:10pm, both parking garages were full, sign said DS was at capacity. But we saw cars pouring into the surface parking so we followed. Got parked and looooonnng winding line to get to temp checks. But we were in by 5:35 or so. Was definitely packed. And cold. Walked around til our res time and then left after (too cold).

Today was AK, 7am opening. We drove and arrived around 6:20-6:25. Held for about 10 minutes then parked. Walked quickly to FoP and basically walked on. Then Navi, also walk on. Everest next, kids did it 2x. Then wandered around and did everything else except Kali, too chilly. Done by 11:30 (and we really took our time). Not too many animals out. Now back at condo for a rest after a long travel day yesterday. Son's girlfriend's first time to Disney ever (she's 18). She gave today a 7 out of 10 (only deducted 3 points for being so cold 😂). Literally felt like we had the park to ourselves the first 3 or so hours.

Interesting. We planned on Ubering to Speedway tomorrow morning. I feel like even if we were held, we could still beat the people driving, or no??

Just a "guess",but it "sounds" like they are trying to eliminate the "Uber advanatge" and make the Guests arriving early along Lake Hollywood wait and "merge" in with everybody else when they arrive.
But it's not just Uber people. It's also their own onsite guests walking. Hmmm....

One last update...just got back from our five nights over Christmas (21-26). Yesterday was MK, and as others have reported, it was a pretty nice day! Cold, but we were sure glad we chose it for Christmas Day! It was so festive. I think the most crowded place in the park was the Emporium, but it was still doable.

My takeaways from this trip:

1. Don't be intimidated by lines that stretch a loooooonnnnggg waaaaay. In our experience, they move almost constantly, so it's like a very slow stroll to the ride.

2. Mobile Ordering is a game-changer. I'm glad that's a permanent feature and not just a COVID thing. I'd never used it before and it made QS meals a breeze.

3. Bathrooms were very clean. Like, I noticed it.

4. Hand sanitizer galore in the parks, but the dispensers do run out, so we were glad we had our own with us on occasion after exiting attractions.

5. Mask compliance was excellent and most people (there are always exceptions) did their best to distance when possible.

6. Overall, I'm glad we went, but this was the first Disney trip where I was actually looking forward to going home. Not that we didn't have fun, but as I said in an earlier post, COVID infiltrates the "bubble" enough that it wasn't quite the carefree escape that we're used to. Still, it was fun!

Interesting. We planned on Ubering to Speedway tomorrow morning. I feel like even if we were held, we could still beat the people driving, or no??
Just a "guess",but it "sounds" like they are trying to eliminate the "Uber advanatge" and make the Guests arriving early along Lake Hollywood wait and "merge" in with everybody else when they arrive.
But it's not just Uber people. It's also their own onsite guests walking. Hmmm....
DH thinks they’re trying to reduce the number of people who congregate outside the temp tents before opening. Of course, if that’s the reason, now they’ll congregate at the sign, or wherever a CM is stationed to enforce the walkway closure. BTW DD didn’t notice whether there was a sign on the sidewalk coming from the Speedway gas station.

Been home for a couple of days, and I finally have time to write about the rest of our trip. I wrote about our first two days (12/18 in a very cold and empty EPCOT and 12/19 in a busy but manageable DHS) in a lot of detail a few pages back.

MK, Monday, 12/21

We got a mobile order at the Contempo Cafe and got through security no problem. We arrived at the line for temperature/security at 7:10. We were through the tapstiles by 7:18. 7 Dwarfs took about five minutes, then a walk-on for Peter Pan, We walked on to BTMRR, then rode it again with a short wait (we were sad that we got the front the first time, so we did it again hoping for the back, and it worked). Then we rode Pirates, Jingle Cruise (they need to get this back at Disneyland for next year!), Splash, Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Pooh, and Hall of Presidents before our lunch. Lines were all very short and easy. It was a fabulous morning.

When we checked in at Liberty Tree Tavern, they tried to put us in Diamond Horseshoe, which I expected. I asked if we could wait for the LTT dining room. So we waited about a half hour. It wasn't bad because we had front row views of all the cavalcades that went by. LTT was far better than expectations, and we had the best lunch there. Wonderful experience.

We did some shopping, got a bunch of photo pass pictures taken, saw the Dapper Dans at Town Square, and then took the boat to Wilderness Lodge to relax. We loved the atmosphere there. We looked around, saw the geyser, sat in the comfy chairs, and just chilled for an hour. When we were waiting for the boat to go back to MK, Geyser Point Bar and Grill had crazy sirens going on for a long time. It looked like there were firefighters there, but we weren't sure what was happening.

Back at MK, we climbed the Treehouse, enjoyed Dole Whips and then the Tiki Room (sad that we couldn't eat them inside), rode the tea cups, and then the Speedway. The lines for most rides were very long, but we were never in the areas where the worst crowds were. We relaxed and watched the castle projections from the Tomorrowland Terrace relaxation station, got more PhotoPass pictures, and then left. It was a great day.

AK, Tuesday, 12/22

We were held at the parking toll booth until 6:25, and then we were guided into a parking spot as far from the entrance as we could imagine. It was a very long hurried walk from the car to FoP. Pandora was so beautiful and amazing that we didn't mind walking through the land (bioluminescence in the morning before sunrise made it so we didn't have to see it in the evening) and the very long queue. We loved the ride. Last time we were at WDW was the month before Pandora opened, so we were glad to finally experience it. We hopped right on River Journey, and a little over halfway through, the ride stopped. We were stuck for about 20-25 minutes. We ended up watching and listening to the Shaman for a very long time, and although that ride is pretty, I wonder if we will ever go on it again. Haha. We were happy to get a multiple experience FP (for anything but FoP, of course).

We walked on Everest, had a five minute wait for Dinosaur (it's incredible how bad that ride is compared to Indiana Jones), and then had a short wait for Everest again. Our family believes that Dinoland needs to be completely revamped. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

We walked through the Maharaja Jungle Trek, saw a couple of tigers and some bats. Then we enjoyed doing some pin trading. We headed over to Safari, and the wait time said 50 minutes. We knew it probably wouldn't take quite that long, but we didn't want to chance it, so we used our FP, and it was awesome.

We had a mobile order lunch at Satu'li Canteen, but when we arrived to get our food, there was a women screaming and swearing at her husband. There were no other guests in the pickup area. One CM had to approach them and ask them to leave. It was a bit shocking. Other than that, it was a good lunch. It was weird to have the drink station after getting the food. The CMs were roped off, filling the sodas for the guests, and it was just a strange setup. Food was good.

We decided to take the Wildlife Express to do the animation class, but there was a long line for the train. When we finally got there, we were a few minutes too late to get into the class, and I was sad. I really love to do the animation class at DCA. There was an hour and a half until the next class, and we weren't going to wait for that. Interestingly, there was an opening behind the class where you could stand and watch, and my husband gave me his iPad on the ProCreate app, and I was able to draw one of my favorite characters (Heimlich) along with the class. I had to rush to catch up, but my picture turned out great. After we rode the Wildlife Express back, we had done everything we wanted to do, and we headed out of the park around 1:30.

MK, Wednesday, 12/23

Second day at MK, and last park day before flying home on Christmas Eve. We decided to drive to the TTC this time (we were the third car back at the parking toll booth), and it put us far behind the crowd that walks in from the Contemporary. At the same time that we got through the tapstiles on Monday, we were beginning to board the first ferry on Wednesday. We weren't too worried because we weren't planning to do 7 Dwarfs again. This time we went straight to walk on Space Mountain (really miss the music on this compared to Disneyland's Space Mountain) and walk on Buzz (this is horrible compared to Disneyland's Buzz). Splash hadn't opened yet, and by the time we got to BTMRR, the line had ballooned. It took us almost twenty minutes to get on, but we were happy to wait because we got the back. Then we walked on to Pirates, walked on to HM, and waited almost twenty-five minutes for Small World. The names at the goodbye scene weren't working. After that, Pooh was only about ten minutes. We wanted to ride the Carrousel, but the line was always way too long because of the distancing. We decided to ride something we've never done before because most lines were too long. We did Aladdin's Magic Carpets (ten minute wait). We enjoyed it more than most spinner rides because it tilts. The minute we got off, I saw that Splash was finally open for the day. We ran there, and we waited about twenty minutes. We tried to really relish it because we knew that it could be our last time. Who knows when Disneyland will ever open, and whether Splash will come back before they start changing it to PatF.

Our morning of rides went well, but it was clearly becoming extremely crowded. We headed to Main St, watched calvacades and Dapper Dans, and then we left on the monorail to our lunch at The Wave. This was our only lunch disappointment. It was lacking in atmosphere, felt almost empty, and the service was weird and slow. Our food was meh (chicken sandwiches, reuben, and hamburger), and the water didn't seem filtered, so it had that swampy smell and taste. We didn't drink more than a sip or two. We were glad we went to the Contemporary, though, because we were able to rest on the couches on the second floor for an hour or so before heading back on the monorail.

Back at MK, we shopped for souvenirs, did some pin trading, and went on Carousel of Progress. Then we mobile ordered some dole whips and took them to the hub grass to watch the castle projections begin. We got tons of photo pass pictures (there were photographers right by our spot on the grass who usually had no line of people) and enjoyed the beautiful evening. It was crowded in the middle of the hub and right in front of the castle, but on the grass closer to Crystal Palace, it was almost empty. We had a wonderful evening just being there, and then we left to get back to the hotel and pack up for our early morning flight.

Overall, it was a great trip that I would do again. I asked my husband and kids what they missed the most: character meets, fireworks, or fastpass. They all said it was none of those things. The only thing they wish was different was wearing masks. Masks weren't terrible, but they were kind of a pain. I am suprised and happy that the other changes did not ruin the magic of our trip. We only waited in long lines a few times in five park days-- Tower of Terror (75 mins on our 2nd ride), MMRR (almost 30 mins), and Slinky (almost 30 mins on our 2nd ride at park closing). Part of that is because we hit the big stuff at rope drop, but part of it is that things moved along in the lines-- even the ones that looked really long.

ETA: We got every ride photo from the whole trip except the first Slinky ride (we got the photo from the second ride). We ended up with around 250 photos. Some are really great. I know the masks look weird, but it's a memory we will always have.

Last edited:
DH thinks they’re trying to reduce the number of people who congregate outside the temp tents before opening. Of course, if that’s the reason, now they’ll congregate at the sign, or wherever a CM is stationed to enforce the walkway closure. BTW DD didn’t notice whether there was a sign on the sidewalk coming from the Speedway gas station.
They had a walkway closed sign between the contemporary and MK this morning around 7:00. We ignored it and walked up to a line of people going through the temperature checkpoint. Went through that and security and was one of the first in line at the gates (they let contemporary people in line just before the bus/parking people).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter