• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When we were there in October, they were definitely leaving early enough to get you to the parks before official park open (first bus departed about 75-65 mins before official park open time), but NOT early enough to beat the parking lot and gondola crowd for HS and Epcot. If I were doing it over, I'd book a very early breakfast at a Crescent lake resort (or just get dropped off by uber at the Swolphin) and then walk to HS/Epcot.
I haven’t finished every post after this yet so not sure if anyone else has responded but I actually had a great experience with GF buses in Dec. I was planning on Ubering to Boardwalk on our HS day but we weren’t up early enough for that and ended up getting on the bus an hour before the park opened. We were in line for a ride 20 minutes before official opening. We rode everything, did our BG, had a sit down lunch, went to Oga’s and hit a bunch of shops. I was nervous about not being on the move two hours before park opening and thought that the bus line an hour before HS was scheduled to open would be a huge wait but it worked out perfectly. I’d use the bus again in a heartbeat.

We are heading home today we had a wonderful time the last 5 days! I really enjoyed the freedom that came with not having fast passes. I'd you rope drop, we found we were still able to do just about all the headliners with minimal waits. I also think it's important to go in with the expectations that there will be low waits for everything or they it will be like it used to be. It was definitely still magical but just slightly different! We missed the shows and meet and greets for sure and can't wait till they come back. The couple character meals we did and the calvacades we sae helped fill the void a bit so that my girls could see the characters up close but it's not quite the same! However we all had a great time and it still felt like home! However, if I had never been before or if I were only planning on going once, I think I would be waiting a bit longer before going back as to get the full experience!

We checked in yesterday for our 10 night trip, so I’ll try to post a little bit about our experiences at a time when I get the chance.

Yesterday we went to AK, which I saw was at capacity as we drove into the parking lot. We did not attempt to rope drop and arrived to the parking lot around 7:50 (8 AM opening.) From arrival to the parking line to our first ride was about 35 minutes. Our oldest is tall enough this trip for EE so that was our first stop to child swap with DH. It was posted 10 minutes, but DH texted they were next in line by the time I arrived to take the younger kids to triceratops spin, a walk on at that time of day. The line was posted at 20 when we went back to use our swap passes. We walked on Kali River Rapids, which was posted as 10 minutes, then walked through the Maharajah Jungle Trek. By then it was 9:45 and waits for everything we’re starting to creep up on the app. Kilimanjaro was posted as 45, we waited 25. Stroller parking is no longer near the boarding area, it’s outside the main entrance, so just something to be aware of if you have a stroller and think you are keeping it until you are almost to the boarding area. It was nice to have at the beginning of the line since the line started at Festival of the Lion King. That’s something I probably would have known if I spent more time researching before our trip. We mobile ordered lunch while we were in line to catch the train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. We waited probably 15 minutes for a train due to the greatly reduced capacity. On our return we were able to get on the 2nd train that arrived after we got in line. We underestimated the time we would spend there, and missed our mobile order window, so we had to reschedule, and ended up waiting about 20 minutes for our new window at Satuli Canteen. We decided to head to our resort to swim after lunch since both rides in Pandora were 90-120 minute posted waits, and we just weren’t interested in seeing if those were accurate or not. Pandora was very busy with no space to really social distance, but it was a ghost town once we got out of Pandora on our way out of the park. We ended up rescheduling our 2nd AK day this trip to add another MK day. We felt it was a half day park, without all the shows right now, and since we didn’t add hoppers to our tickets, we’ll wait until FP return for the rides in Pandora.

We’re heading to MK today, so I’ll try to hop on and report how our day is later on!

Gray and slightly drizzly day at MK (Sunday Jan 3)

Got to MK bus stop at Coronado Springs at 7:25, picked up at 7:28, dropped-off at 7:40, full in park by 7:46.

Made an error and walked to SDMT first, which so did everyone else...the posted wait was 40 min and the line wrapped past teacups, so we scooted.
Went to Space Mtn, posted 5 min but was a walk on.
Then to BTMR, posted 10, also a walk on.
Next up Splash, posted 25 min wait at 8:33, on ride at 8:42.
Pirates posted 10 min wait at 9:01, on ride at 9:06.
Jungle cruise listed 15 min wait at 9:18, on ride at 9:34.
HM posted 10 min at 9:48, on ride at 9:52.
SDMT was most accurate...posted 50 min at the front entrance, but the line wrapped all the way around the side to the back by The Little Mermaid, where the CM had a sign saying 65 minutes. We got in line at 10:07 and were on ride at 10:58.

Most lines looking longer at this point and we had a lunch res, so decided just to visit a few shops until then.

We just got back from a great 8 night trip to Universal Studios and WDW last night. This was a long trip for us as we are usually long weekenders that go around our daughter's school schedule several times a year. We have gone to WDW for the past three years just after New Years so we are familiar with that time frame, but we have never been for NYE. We started the first three days at Universal Studios. We haven't been there in quite some time, but we had tickets from a cancelled trip earlier this year that we needed to use. We stayed at the Portofino and it was very nice. Our first park day was Sunday, Dec 27 and it was so good. We rode Hagrid's four times using the virtual line and could have done more, but we wanted to do other things. The next two days got increasingly busier and even though we were able to obtain virtual line spots for Hagrid's on Monday, Dec 28 we opted not to ride and gave them up because it was so backed up due to being down in the morning. We did ride it one more time on Tuesday before we went to WDW. Overall we had a great time at Universal, but were VERY happy that we had express passes as the lines were quite long. The mask compliance there was much better than I had heard it was and I appreciated that they had TM giving you hand sanitizer at each ride and that they had TM abundantly scattered throughout the park reminding people to wear their mask properly. We ate at Jake's, Mythos, and twice at Cowfish. All were great. On Dec 29 we headed to WDW. We did a weird split of three different resorts at WDW as this trip was kind of pieced together. We did the first night at Contemporary, then two at Villa Grand Floridian, and two at Beach Club Villas. We have been to WDW twice since the re-opening so we were familiar with the changes. All the resorts were great and we were happy to get early room assignments for all of them so the split stay was not at all difficult. We even got a call on our BCV check in day to make sure that we were willing to give up our room request for an earlier room assignment which was a very nice touch. We ate dinner at Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, lunch at Yak & Yeti and Sci-Fi, and breakfast at Ale & Compass and Topolino's. They were all great! Spacing at the tables was good, online check in for ADRs is easy and WONDERFUL. We also went to a few lounges: Enchanted Rose, Nomad, Baseline, Tambu, Oga's and Ale & Compass--really can't beat those lounges for great food and drinks without an ADR. The lounges were also well spaced. We had one park day at each park and rope dropped each day. AK was first and was seamless. We drove our own car and arrived about an hour and 15 mins early. We had to make a couple of loops, but were allowed into the parking lot around an hour early. We were then allowed to line up for parking and were let in about 15 mins later. Walked right on to FOP. They put us on right next to other parties as has been recently reported. The people we were placed with were great and kept their masks on so we were ok with the experience, but in past trips we have had people take them off on that ride when there was spacing so we said we would not be riding that again as it felt like Russian Roulette. We rode Navi, EE, Dinosaur, and the Safari (so many animals out!!!) and were pretty much done by our Y&Y ADR at 11:40 am. On our MK day (NYE), we walked to MK along the GF walkway. We left about 1 hr and 15 mins before park opening and there was no one else on the path. We saw a family of deer. It was great! When we got to the end of the walkway there was one other couple there. Others started to arrive after that. We were held for a few minutes and then let through. We went directly to 7DMT and walked on. Crowds did not seem bad and we rode a lot of rides before going back to the resort for a rest. We had dinner at Cali Grill that night where they gave us party hats. Dinner was great! Went back to MK after and the crowds were now a bit heavier than I would like but far lighter than our typical post NYE trips and mostly just thick in the choke points. We rode a few more rides and then went back to our resort about an hour and a half before park close. We walked back along the GF walkway and saw more deer! The next day we went to HS. We woke up early, took our stuff to our car so we could move to BCV. Scored boarding group 3 for Rise from our car in the VGF parking lot. We parked our car at BCV and walked to HS. We arrived a little over an hour before park opening and lined up for security. They were already running the skyliner when we arrived. We rope dropped MMRR as my son had not yet rode it. Less people appeared to be rope dropping it than our previous trips and instead heading to TSL, MFSR, and TOT/RnR. The plexiglass on this ride was not that bad. We rode twice and experienced it once with and once without. We would obviously prefer without, but it really wasn't too bad. We rode everything we wanted except SDD and RnR. RnR broke the day we went and did not re open on the rest of our trip. We were bummed about it as it's our favorite WDW coaster. We took an mid day break and headed back to HS that evening for our Oga's ADR. It was great as usual. The CM we had (Fam) was amazing--one of the best we encountered. The next day we did Epcot and it was terrible. We have not done Epcot since the re-opening and I really don't think we will do it again until things are more back to normal. We lined up at the IG entrance a little over an hour before park opening. The line was not long but steadily grew. We were let in probably 45 mins before park opening and headed toward TT. Got in line for TT and were told it was going to be a slight delay and would open closer to park opening (about 30 mins). Stayed in line. They were testing vehicles. We made it into the building and were told it would be a 5 min wait. This was now after park opening and we had been in line for around 45-50 mins. After we waited about an hour and 10 mins we noticed that the ride was marked as offline on the app (had previously been online) and they made an announcement a few mins later that it would be a prolonged closure. We were pretty upset because we wasted our rope drop and we felt they could have better informed the people in line and let them have the chance to get out without giving the people who just arrived a further advantage by letting them know the ride was down first. Plus we were pretty much trapped in the queue since we were so far in the building. We had to excuse our way out. We headed to Frozen and the line was long. Waited in it anyway and were appalled by all the eating and drinking in line. I know they are allowed to do that (according to a customer experience CM we spoke to) in outdoor queues but it really was excessive. We also overhead some people behind us that were saying that they got a fastpass for TT (same line we just left and were only ahead of them by a little bit in the Frozen queue) but we were not offered one which made us a little salty. When we finally got to the loading area of Frozen we got the third row on the ride vehicle and it was HORRIBLE. I will absolutely not go on that ride again until the plexiglass is removed. Looking through two layers of plexiglass with dried water all over it was miserable but the worst part was that there is absolutely no airflow with the plexiglass in front of and behind you. We sat four adult sized people in a the row, tightly packed with stagnant air and poor visibility. Our spirits were pretty low at that point. We gave up for lunch/dinner ADR and called it a day at Epcot pretty early and decided to park hop. All parks were way more crowded that day so we changed our plan from riding a ride at every park to riding a ride or getting a snack. At HS the lines were all long and after chasing them around a bit and finding them all to be longer than indicated on the MDE app we just got a drink and a pretzel from Baseline. Next we went to AK and rode KS and split cheeseburger pods at Satuli and had a drink at Nomad. We got on the Nomad waitlist on the bus over from HS. AK was less crowded than HS but still more crowded than the first day we had gone. Next we took the bus to MK. We rode Haunted Mansion and caught the eggroll cart right before they closed then walked around trying to find something to do as well as searching for a Big Al wishable for my daughter. We couldn't find a ride that had a short enough line for us or Big Al so we took a bus and hopped back to Epcot for the last 30 mins and managed to get on Soarin. Park hopping with the bus to bus transportation was super easy and really saved the day for us! We loved the trip other than our bad morning in Epcot. Rope drop and flexibility as always are your friend. The only other thing I would mention is that hand sanitizer machines were not as plentiful and sometimes empty compared to previous trips, so it was helpful to bring your own. Sorry for the book! Happy to answer questions.

Last edited:
We did MK yesterday, which I expected to be busy since it was a Sunday of a holiday weekend. The morning wasn’t too bad. We didn’t even get into the park until around 8:30 and we’re able to do BTMR and Splash with about a 15 minute wait each. Both expected wait times were posted at double that. It was drizzly and light raining most of the morning, so I’m not sure if that changed how our morning would have gone. We also rode HM an Peter Pan with wait time that were also about half the posted time. We did an early and thought about jumping in the 7DMT line, but when we walked around and couldn’t see the end of the line, we ended up doing Dumbo and The Little
mermaid ride instead, both walk ons posted as 10 minute waits. We headed to Tomorrowland around 1:00 and that’s when things started to feel really crowded. The way the extended queues snake through that area make it hard to navigate. DH took our oldest on Space Mountain while I took the others on the Rockets. That line was on the app being a 15 minute wait, but was actually 45 😬. We did a few other attractions with shorter lines, but by 4:00 the kids were getting cranky and hungry so we called it a day. We are planning a couple more days at MK this trip, so hopefully the crowds will be more manageable on a weekday and we can figure out a better plan. We are fairly good refreshers for FPs typically, so waiting in line for rides that we typically walk on to was a new experience & we really missed FP at MK.

Today was our first Epcot day. We transferred to the BWV this morning, so we parked and walked over from the resort. We were in line for opening at 9:45 at the IG and I counted 8 other groups ahead of us. We were let through for temps and security screening at 10:05. I forgot to look at the time, but we were held up before the ticket scanners until 10:15ish. We went straight to FEA and were first in line when they opened at 10:30. We made it to TT at 10:47. Posted wait time was 70 minutes when we got in line, but bumped up to 85 while we were still outside. We waited 38 minutes. We mobile ordered lunch at Regal Eagle around 11:45, which was super empty then. We did the Grand Fiesta Tour before hitting the rest of the attractions in Future World. We had dinner at Garden Grill, which the kids loved! We’ve been managing to miss all the cavalcades, so they were happy to see some characters. We stumbled upon the Disney Visa photo spot and got a bunch of cool photo pass pictures. I thought we were just getting a picture with a character animation added, but we had 3 different areas we were posed with Epcotish backgrounds, definitely a cool thing that was free for us! We went back to the resort after this since we are saving the WS for our next Epcot day.

So what's the preferred DHS rope drop plan now? We are headed back down in 2 weeks.

In October when we went, we walked from Boardwalk and did MMRR right away before getting in line for SDD (which already had an accurate 60 minute wait).

Now I'm seeing MMRR with lower early morning wait times (30ish minutes) vs longer waits for MFSR and SDD. But I also know that those rides don't necessarily open before park opening as early and often as MMRR.

Would the better plan be to hit one of those 2 rides first and save MMRR for later now that capacity has increased?

Sunday (1/3/21) park reservation for HS & driving ourselves. Dreary looking cooler weather & rain expected so we packed clothes for it.

Got to the parking lot entrance at 7:50am for a 9am park opening. I was probably about 5th car back at that point & all lanes were filling up with cars. Sitting there we saw buses pulling in & the Skyliner running (sometimes slow & it did stop). I think they started moving the car line by 8:15, we were parked in 1st row, walked into park (temp check & security was 1 steady moving line). Started to head for SDD, but went to MMRR since it was running & I saw no line outside. We got in line at 8:27 & were seated on ride at 8:34. Then headed for SDD which the standby line was where Andy is & it said 45 minutes. I think that was more like 35 & line kept moving. At this point it was starting to drizzle & we headed for TSMM to wait undercover we hoped. That standby line was way over by the original entrance. But these lines really do keep moving (or at least they were that morning)! I saw the Alien ride was walk on or very short wait during all this but we skipped it. Then onto Star Wars. The line for that was wrapped around where they bring out Chewy & Ren to wave at people, but it was raining at this point & I didn't see any characters come out. Sign said 70 minutes when we joined at 10:20, but this one was actually a bit longer. We were done before 11:45 so we stopped to eat our lunch. Then RnR was closed & ToT said I think 60 minute wait. We hung out til 1pm to try for a BG which we were lucky (got BG 110) & estimated a 145 minute call back (that's a nice feature they have added I noticed).

Now we tried the park hopping. Took the boat over to Epcot. Nobody checked our MBs if we had hoppers or for park availability (other people said on the buses they do that?). Got off the boat, went thru temp & security check & in the park we went. Easy peasy. I figured about 3pm to head back on the boat to HS. The MDE app did update estimated times when I checked there to see what BG was happening. We were just about pulling up to the dock at HS when my MDE notification dinged it was time for our BG. Back thru temp & security at HS & off to RotR we went.

We had a good day. Lines kept moving even if they appeared really long. Both parks had people but not overwhelming. I am not sure how much the blah weather affected it as I think people are getting more like oh well put on a rain coat & deal with it (it seems 5 years ago the rain would start & people would disappear lol).

Took the boat over to Epcot. Nobody checked our MBs if we had hoppers or for park availability (other people said on the buses they do that?).
Might be because so many Epcot area resort guests use those boats as well, for transport back to their resorts. CMs were only checking for PH tickets on the park to park buses, not the park to resort buses, right?

So what's the preferred DHS rope drop plan now? We are headed back down in 2 weeks.

In October when we went, we walked from Boardwalk and did MMRR right away before getting in line for SDD (which already had an accurate 60 minute wait).

Now I'm seeing MMRR with lower early morning wait times (30ish minutes) vs longer waits for MFSR and SDD. But I also know that those rides don't necessarily open before park opening as early and often as MMRR.

Would the better plan be to hit one of those 2 rides first and save MMRR for later now that capacity has increased?

SDD - we walked past MMRR to that and had maybe a 10 minute wait. Feels like everyone stops at MMRR these days

2nd day at MK this trip today. It’s definitely the most frustrating park as an avid FP refresher. We didn’t make it into the park until 8:40ish, so I’m hoping if we can rope drop our final MK day that we will be able to get more done. We went to SDMT 1st, posted wait at 8:55 was 75 on the app, 50 on the entrance sign - we waited 40. We did a few other rides before lunch at Tomorrowland Terrace. We sat in the lower seating section right by the water, and had a nice view of the castle while we ate, I was able to get a few pictures of the kids from the table with the castle, so that was an added bonus to our meal! We ended up leaving shortly after lunch because all the wait times on the app were pushing, if not over, an hour and we needed a break. We relaxed at our resort until 4, then headed back hoping for shorter waits. From 4:30 to 7:50 we were able to ride the Magic Carpets, see Tiki Room, eat dinner @ Pecos Bills, ride Jungle Cruise and Pirates. We probably could have done one more ride if the kids had a little more energy, but decided to call it a night when we got off Pirates at 7:50. I had really hoped to accomplish more in the last couple hours, but crowds didn’t really thin until at least 7:00. I’m not sure there really is a good plan to accomplish all or most of MK in a day right now. Hopefully rope dropping will help us get more done on our 3rd MK day.

Mask compliance on our first 4 park days has been pretty good. DD accidentally had her mask get stuck inside her sweatshirt when she was putting it on, and since she was in the stroller, we didn’t realize it until probably 5 minutes later when we got to the next attraction. I was shocked no one said a word to us. She was of course worried she was going to get asked to leave because of the announcements they play now. I had definitely expected more cast members around giving mask reminders. Maybe they are more focused on people removing them for pictures or moving and eating. I will say, we walked through the area near Aloha Isle several times and that area is just plain scary with everyone packed in like sardines eating dole whips while elbow to elbow with other groups. I’m of sure if the benches aren’t marked for social distancing or if people just don’t pay attention. I would definitely plan take your dole whip on a bit of a walk before eating it.

We did use the buses tonight for the first time this trip since MK parking is a hassle. We lucked out with short waits both ways and were able to get on the first bus that arrived each time. The line for BW wasn’t too long at park close, but I saw them push several buses through the pop century stop while we waited, the line there was quite long, but seemed to move steadily.

I am not sure how much the blah weather affected it as I think people are getting more like oh well put on a rain coat & deal with it (it seems 5 years ago the rain would start & people would disappear lol).
I had the same feeling last summer - especially at HS.

I will say, we walked through the area near Aloha Isle several times and that area is just plain scary with everyone packed in like sardines eating dole whips while elbow to elbow with other groups. I’m of sure if the benches aren’t marked for social distancing or if people just don’t pay attention. I would definitely plan take your dole whip on a bit of a walk before eating it.

I noticed that too on my trip. Even pre-covid, I wouldn’t want someone practically dripping their dole whip on me- it’s crazy over there.
We walked ours over near Big Thunder- lots of space to just chill out and eat it. That whole area is just a bit bottleneck, I tried to avoid it in the afternoons once we realized that.

Might be because so many Epcot area resort guests use those boats as well, for transport back to their resorts. CMs were only checking for PH tickets on the park to park buses, not the park to resort buses, right?

We did not ride the buses at all Sunday so I can't comment on what happens there.
They did ask us when we got on the boat where we were going, but didn't ask or mention anything about having the right tickets.

It’s tough to say right now. I can give you our experiences from 3 days at HS over the holiday break. We walked from the Swan and arrived around 7:40 each morning so we were at the very front of the pack going into temp/security. The first day, we walked onto MMRR, then hit SDD with a 5 minute wait, then got to MFSR, which wasn’t running yet and waited about 10 minutes. So I wouldn’t go there first. The next time, we did MMRR, ToT, RnR all walk-on. But waits build very quickly at ToT since it has low capacity, so if that’s a priority, hit it early and don’t be afraid of the line if it goes back by Fantasmic, should still only be 20 minutes. Our third day, MMRR walk on again, SDD 10 minutes, then ToT 15 minutes, followed by another ride on MMRR with ~25 minute wait.

We also went back 2 nights and rode SDD with very little wait and MMRR 5xin a row pretty much walk-on, so that could work too. ToT and MFSR seem to have the longest waits throughout the day that don’t really drop off much. We saved MFSR for last one night and still waited a decent amount, around 30 minutes.

We just got back from a great 8 night trip to Universal Studios and WDW last night. This was a long trip for us as we are usually long weekenders that go around our daughter's school schedule several times a year. We have gone to WDW for the past three years just after New Years so we are familiar with that time frame, but...
Thanks for posting what I'm sure was a great trip report. Please please don't take this negatively, but can you please add some line breaks and spacing. Trying to read this made my head hurt only because of the formatting.

My husband and I were supposed to go May 2020 and of course we cancelled. It was honestly really sad for us because it was supposed to be our first trip together with our daughter who was born back in 2019. We didn't go when I was pregnant so it's been a while for us and we are itching to go back. However we are both taking this pandemic pretty seriously and we are wrestling with going or not. We keep booking and pushing back our trip. We are now booked for May 1-7 of this year but are still mentally preparing to cancel if we aren't comfortable.

My question is for people who still very concerned about Covid, when will you feel comfortable enough to go, or if you were very concerned but still decided to go what made you decide that you were okay with going? (Sidenote I did ask that first question in someone elses thread but I wanted to expand on it. Sorry for the redundancy). Also, a new question I have is if you went what other precautions or hacks did you take?

My husband works in a hospital so he will be getting the vaccine sometime this week. My daughter and I will probably not be vaccinated yet. I do think Disney is taking awesome steps to ensure guests safety although I am finding some things I'm not as comfortable with such as raising capacity or seating strangers next to each other on rides instead of doing social distancing. I'm prepared to leave the parks early if I find them too crowded, or to speak up when I see someone who isn't wearing a mask or mask isn't covering their nose. I'm okay with washing my hands all the time and I honestly love wearing masks (weird I know) but I'm sure that may be harder when its hot and humid. So yeah. I'm conflicted. Just wondering everyone else's thought process and what makes them decide it is or isn't worth the risk.

Thanks for reading my messy thread :)

SDD - we walked past MMRR to that and had maybe a 10 minute wait. Feels like everyone stops at MMRR these days
I'm pretty sure i can't link to it but there is a great three part post from easy wdw about touring HS with the MMRR capacity increases. Basically, if you can get into MMRR with very minimal wait do it then hit SDD and MFSR, otherwise skip MMRR as it's wait times drop significantly towards the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter