• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buses back to SSR at night were HORRIBLE. After an hour wait one night they finally sent a Mears coach bus and packed it full. We kept watching bus after bus pull up to all the other resorts, but not SSR.

We were at SSR for eight days in May. Buses back to SSR from parks were TERRIBLE. Hardly any came and when they did they filled up right away with scooters and their families. I don’t know why they get front of the line privileges…. Finally after an hour of waiting at the Studios they called in a Mears coach bus that crammed us all in to every seat. I’m not sure how any people were left after they filled it to the brim but it did scoop up a whole bunch of us.
Day after day we would watch bus after bus after bus, sometimes two at a time, come for all the other resorts, but not SSR.
Just want to say as someone who has a family member that had no choice but to rent a scooter during our last trip due to a bakers cyst that helped cause horrible arthritis-they have to take those in scooters first. It is the law. However, we also didn't pack up the bus with the other 7 people in the party after they got on unless told to by the bus driver which did happen sometimes-myself as I was the youngest or my dad because he was the tallest would go with the person who needed the scooter and the rest would wait on the line. We were all adults and know to text or call and figure out a meeting spot.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Orlando over the weekend for a conference and very few people wore masks at the hotel. The convention required masks, so most people at the convention were wearing them.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Orlando starting on Friday---did you happen to visit the pool(s)? Wondering how busy they are going to be.

Got back from an 8 day trip onsite (10 days total) and wanted to wait a little while to let things settle in before posting.

Not going to give a day by day recap of everything we did, but here are some somewhat random thoughts:

Dining
Here is how I would rank our table service meals:

1. Shula's (not entirely fair for ranking, Shula's is just on a different level - including cost - but still was our best meal)
2. Boathouse - food and service was fabulous. Took the kids on the amphibious boat ride after, which was fun and worth it (in terms of Disney worth it)
3. Liberty Tree Tavern - first time here, will not be the last. Food, service and atmosphere all were great.
4. Trattoria al Forno Breakfast - only did two breakfasts, but this one was really good. If you are staying in that area and planning an Epcot day (opening at 11:00) this is a great option. I had the steak and eggs, which was the best I've had anywhere.
5. Sci-Fi Diner - another first time. It was good, nothing out of this world, but the theming and food definitely make it worth going back for.
6. Chef Mickey's Breakfast - our other breakfast spot. Food was really good and the atmosphere was fun. Extra credit to the chef who went above and beyond to accommodate a gluten allergy.
7. Crystal Palace - I will admit, I miss the buffet. And the characters. But the food was good for the most part and plenty of it. Only hiccup was being served gluten free rolls that were still frozen in the middle.
8. San Angel Inn - ate here once years ago and remembered the food being just ok, and the atmosphere being amazing. I have a good memory.
9. Be Our Guest - Awesome eating in the castle, just not all that impressed with the food. It wasn't horrible by any means, but it was not really special either. Just not worth the cost to me. Price it the same as Crystal Palace and it probably climbs the list.
10. Cape May Cafe Dinner - First time we ate here, and probably the last. It was not terrible, and no one really complained about the meal at all. But no one really raved about it either. It was mediocre across the board from service to the atmosphere to the food. In the future it will only be a gap filler if other options are not available.

For counter service - I love the mobile ordering. A thousand times better than the old days. Food choices were definitely still limited, but we always found something we wanted to eat. Flame Tree BBQ was the best we had. Definitely hit the "I'm here" button long before you get to the restaurant - especially if you are ordering anything off the allergy-friendly menu. We did find that we had to wait sometimes 20 minutes or so after we said we were there before our food was done. I am sure most of that wait was for the allergy stuff though.

Lines
The lines were not terrible, with most waits being in the 30-45 minute range. Some of the major headliners like Flight of Passage obviously got longer, and we skipped a few rides that had 60 minute waits.

I generally found the wait times posted by Disney to be pretty accurate. I timed a few and they were generally within 5 minutes of the posted time. One exception was Splash Mountain at the end of the night, posted 60 minute wait and it was about 20 minutes. No other major discrepancies stood out.

I know there is the great debate ongoing about whether the return of Fastpass will be positive or a negative. Our youngest (8) absolutely hated waiting in line and let everyone know about it the entire trip. Made for some pretty long days (or short days when we just gave up and headed back to the resort to swim). For us, we would have been much better off with Fastpass+ returning. However, I can see where people that don't mind the 30-45 minute waits preferring the current setup. The lines moved steadily and quickly which was nice. None of the waiting in the same spot for 20 minutes while the fastpass queue was emptied. I do hope if Fastpass+ returns that Disney cuts back on the number of available fastpasses for each attraction, but for us, I want it to come back.

Resort
Stayed at the Boardwalk for the first time. Loved it. Wish it was fully open with the street performers, etc. but still really enjoyed the resort. The pool was fun, dining options everywhere, and the ability to walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios was great.

Transportation
Given we were at the Boardwalk, the only time we used Disney Transportation was to MK and AK. No real complaints, although the wait for a bus in the middle of the day did drag on a bit, but that is normal. I doubt we ever waited more than 20-30 minutes for a bus to show up. If you want to hit Flight of Passage with a minimal wait - the first bus to AK left the Boardwalk just before 7:00 each morning (8:00 opening). We just missed one on our first day, but caught the second bus about 10-15 minutes later. The day we caught the first bus our wait at FoP was about 15 minutes. The day we caught the second bus the wait was about 45 minutes. Don't miss the first bus!

If anyone has any specific questions - let me know. Happy to provide any insight I can.

For counter service - I love the mobile ordering. A thousand times better than the old days. Food choices were definitely still limited, but we always found something we wanted to eat. Flame Tree BBQ was the best we had. Definitely hit the "I'm here" button long before you get to the restaurant - especially if you are ordering anything off the allergy-friendly menu. We did find that we had to wait sometimes 20 minutes or so after we said we were there before our food was done. I am sure most of that wait was for the allergy stuff though.
Sounds like you had a terific trip - thanks for sharing!! I have family members with severe allergies, who are nervous to use mobile ordering. Were you able to use mobile ordering at all counter service restaurants, where you could still specify allergy needs? TIA!

Sounds like you had a terific trip - thanks for sharing!! I have family members with severe allergies, who are nervous to use mobile ordering. Were you able to use mobile ordering at all counter service restaurants, where you could still specify allergy needs? TIA!
Yes, and no. I am allergic to both gluten and pork. Most (but not all) of the mobile order CS places have gluten free options on their menu. I then could go in and alter the selections to remove pork (take bacon off a burger, for example). If you have one of the more common allergies like nuts, gluten, dairy, etc. then there are plenty of options for the mobile ordering. If your allergy is more rare, then you may need to go up to the counter and order - which they will allow if you have an allergy.

I will also say that they seem to take cross contamination very seriously. My orders were pretty clearly prepared in a separate area and brought on on their own tray that was clearly marked for allergies. I did not have any issues with any of the Disney restaurants (TS or CS) the entire trip. At most TS meals, the Chef came out and spoke with me directly. At the family style meals (Liberty Tree Tavern, Chef Mickeys, Cape May) they prepared a separate platter of food that I could eat.

The only issue I ran into the entire trip was Shula's. I ordered the wedge salad off the gluten free menu thinking it was fine - without realizing that the salad had bacon jam on it (actually under it). I did let them know about the pork allergy, but that must have slipped by them as well. I was about 2/3 of the way through the salad before I realized that the red sauce on the plate was actually bacon jam. I was pretty miserable for a day or so, but it cleared up. No other issues the entire trip.

I have a milk allergy in my family and the online menus did have milk-free options. But you can also go into the restaurant and order in person for allergies if you want, they do allow that.

Reactions: CJK
I had a good experience at Cosmic Ray's. We placed the last mobile order of the day and I can't suggest the Spicy Chicken Sandwich enough. Very tasty and my family eating alone with Sunny Eclipse was an unexpected highlight of the trip.

What time (approximately) did you go there? Know it's the last counter service place open at MK but not sure how late you can place an order. Thanks.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Orlando starting on Friday---did you happen to visit the pool(s)? Wondering how busy they are going to be.

While we were there they closed at 9:30pm. And security ushered people out. We were there for a family conference of about 5000 attendees. So the pool was always pretty busy. The Terrace pool (roof) was less busy than the grotto at ground level.

I also strongly recommend tower 2. We’d have to wait 15 minutes for elevators because our room was near the convention in Tower 1. We tried to take the steps (we were on the 8th floor) but they stopped at the 4th floor. I asked the desk manager, Tuan, how to use the steps and he said he doesn’t know. The tower 1 steps are confusing to him. I asked what they do in a fire and he said employees direct guests to the right sets of stairs. And he said they did have a fire on the 20 something for and it was chaotic. I don’t doubt that!

The food was good but really expensive. Like same prices as Disney food. It was $24 for my pulled pork sandwich, cole slaw, and drink at The Market. Red Lobster, McDonald’s, and Denny’s are very nearby. A long walk, but super short drive.

Just got back from a 8 Day Trip and here is some observations.

First Day was AK and they had no power and would not offer another park reservation. We basically went to Pandora (the only land open) and hung out until things opened back up.

Rope Dropped MK the next day. We got there at 7:15 and the only ride to open before 8 was 7 Dwarfs. Big Thunder (last day before refurb), Splash, HM, Peter Pan, NOTHING was open. Totally woke up early for nothing.

Kill Splash Mountain please. I love that ride, but nothing was working properly, it was super sad to see it in such awful shape. If you aren't going to take care of it start the refurb already.

Skipper Canteen might just be my new favorite Disney Restaurant. Everything was delicious, AC and water was cold and the staff was entertaining.

Hollywood Studios cast members are the best. They always seem to be having fun and have the best attitudes.

Line manipulation was in full effect. Saw several cases of this, but the most frustrating one was Soarin. They would run one theater for a couple of rounds, then open up the others. On some shows they would only fill A and C, but no B.

Bus Scheduling needs work. Waited way too long for busses in the hot sun. I used Lyft more than usual on this trip.

I had a good experience at Cosmic Ray's. We placed the last mobile order of the day and I can't suggest the Spicy Chicken Sandwich enough. Very tasty and my family eating alone with Sunny Eclipse was an unexpected highlight of the trip.

Coral Reef needs updating BAD, but the food and service was good.

Finally even though this is no longer valid as of today there needed to be more consistency with masks. First ride on Splash masks were required in the outdoor queue. The second time we rode it masks were not required. Also made zero sense on 7 Dwarfs that those lined up against the wall on the outside of the queue didn't need masks, but those lined up against the wall inside the queue needed them. We were literally 8 inches apart. All for show.
I’ve noticed this in the app here lately that a lot of the rides is hardly open in the mornings, what is going on?
Really makes me want to rebook this trip in July, for the money and all the issues, I’m just not feeling good about it!

We're on day 4. And as hard as it is to get everyone up and around, I'm still convinced rope drop is the way to go. Both for crowds and heat.

Our first day at MK was great for rides, knocked out several by 10 am--SDMT, Space, Haunted Mansion, Pirates.

EPCOT was meh for rope drop, but it could be us. We practically walked onto TT, but had back luck after that. Just an off day for us.

At DHS, everyone goes to SDD. If that's a must-do on your trip, better plan to rope drop it. Crowds just don't go down for it. And then same for FOP at AK. We did it, KS and then Everest in a couple of hours.

Agreed, we did better last week when we were ropedropping. The later arriving crew did not do as much as my son and I did when we got there early. That being said, doing SDD first is not a bad strategy, it seems like many are going there but some split off to do Star Wars stuff. The line was not walk-on by the time we made it there but it was fast moving, maybe 15 minutes at most. Then we walked on to Toy Story Mania twice. After that I had to DAS the Mickey and Minnie ride because the wait had built more in the sun than I felt comfortable doing. So I sent them off to do Star Tours while I got Starbucks.

with procedures changing a lot this week, I know EP reverted to pre-pandemic rope drop procedure, but have the rest of the parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter