One thought I forgot to share: my husband and I definitely bought less souveniers and did less splurges on snacks in the park/extra drinks at restaraunts, etc, because we were buying the extra LL/IA$. So I don't think Disney ultimately got more $ from us, they just go it in the ride category more than the food n wine or gift shop categories.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if the lines were long or something. We plan to go in the early evening for the food booths and fireworks then ride during the extra hours so I think that should work.
Yes. The exact same reason the pp said.

Question for those just getting back and who made use of Genie+. Do you think you are on your phone, more, less, or about the same as the old fast pass + system?

I thought I was on my phone more. For sure first thing in the morning (ugh to the earlier than usual wake up) and once my husband had to remind me to "enjoy the ride first, then book the next LL" instead of frantically trying to find one after our second tap in while in line. After I realized how good the availability was during the day I stopped stressing and just booked them more leisurely.

I will say MK and HS were definitely the best use of our Genie+, we only ever were waiting in standby lines when they were walk ons/10min or less. There was tons of G+ availability for rides with huge standby waits (like Peter Pan) well into the evening for return times within that hour except maybe Slinky. It seemed Genie+ would recalibrate and release new slots often. If you saw 5pm as next avail...refresh in a little bit and 3pm would show up, etc. I loved doing parks early, eating lunch back at hotel/swimming and booking my early evening LL at hopper park while lounging.
Agree that Genie + helped in MK and HS. AK was of some benefit, but once you did FoP and Navi, the other lines were never too long.
Saw no reason to pay for EPCOT. Again outside of Frozen and TT, none of the others had long lines.

Those of you there and using Genie+...can you book the same ride over and over again if there is availability? If your favorite ride is, say, Thunder Mountain, can you book that and ride, then book it again and ride, and again and again? Or is it literally ONE Genie+ specific ride each day, and if you want to repeat it you have to do standby?

Those of you there and using Genie+...can you book the same ride over and over again if there is availability? If your favorite ride is, say, Thunder Mountain, can you book that and ride, then book it again and ride, and again and again? Or is it literally ONE Genie+ specific ride each day, and if you want to repeat it you have to do standby?
Once per ride per day.

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd pass along a few thoughts from our recent trip. We were in WDW 24-29 October staying at the Shades of Green. It was a trip designed to give our granddaughters (ages 4 and 2) their first taste of the magic of Disney. We did a few "Big People" rides, but mostly focused on their adventure. We did 4 actual park days and hopped three of those. The following are few points of interest and/or tactics we used. Keep in mind, it was our first attempt and Genie+ and ILL$, so it took a little getting used to. Plus, it was different than if we were touring for ourselves and not the girls!

1) The parks were pretty busy over all. Utilizing EE by being in a Premium Resort was well worth the earlier starts. It especially worked well at MK. Most folks doing EE seemed to be focused on the bigger rides or heading towards 7DMT. We went straight to Peter Pan's Flight. Then crossed over to It's a Small World. Both rides completed by the time the park opened for Rope Drop. I had a LL for Pirates and then the adults took turns on Splash Mountain. From there we back-tracked to the Carousel and finally went all the way over to Carousel of Progress. By then it was 1045 so we headed to Chef Mickey's for our 1120 brunch. Afterwards we did a pool break and nap time for an hour before heading back to MK for a few more rides, some people watching and then the fireworks. We thought the show was pretty good. For those with young kids, we had ear muffs for them and both chose to wear them after the first few fireworks went off. Overall the day was quite awesome.

2) We utilized ILL$ in EPCOT to make sure the girls could get on Frozen without much of a wait. It worked great and well worth the extra bucks to not wait in line. EPCOT was pretty crowded around the Food and Wine booths, but overall it seemed like pretty short lines. We had LL for Soarin', again splitting the adults. We purchased Genie + that day because we started in Animal Kingdom that morning and it allowed us to do quite a few rides without wait, especially with EE. I was able to secure LL in EPCOT before we ever hopped and the ILL$ was bought early in the morning knowing we would be eating in Germany that evening. It made timing of things quite easy. For the record...the entertainment in Germany was great...the girls really loved it.

3) ILL and Genie+ are excellent ways to utilize hopping. We did EPCOT one morning with a hop to Hollywood Studios and between those two methods we were able to do everything we wanted and be done by 1900 and able to get the girls back for an evening swim before lights out.

4) I was a little worried about having to be on my phone too much, but it was less intrusive than I thought. It was nice however having the wait times at your finger tips.

5) The use of masks was pretty standard by most people on the transportation and in the buildings/rides. Some rides, like the Safari, did not require a mask be worn.

6) we never used the food order via online except once (in England) and it worked nicely. Food was almost instantly available. The food booths were busy but the food was good and a reasonable price for most items.

I'm sure I have some valuable info but time is short so I'm going to leave it here and answer any questions that come up with specific things in mind. Oh yeah, a lot of shows were back...Beauty and the Beast...Lion King...Frozen Sing a Long...all pretty good but not quite the same with a lack of parts of the original shows. Overall, we were very pleased with the entire trip...well, except Sea World but that's for another thread. Cheers!

I thought I was on my phone more. For sure first thing in the morning (ugh to the earlier than usual wake up) and once my husband had to remind me to "enjoy the ride first, then book the next LL" instead of frantically trying to find one after our second tap in while in line. After I realized how good the availability was during the day I stopped stressing and just booked them more leisurely.
Thanks for the feedback. Regarding being up early, I too am not happy about the 7 am stressful log on when I'm on vacation. I also find that if I know I have something important first thing in the morning, I don't sleep well, my husband is the same. As much as it was a pain to set the alarm 60 days out to secure FP+ reservations, I'd much rather the pre- vacation excitement than than the stress while I'm supposed to be on vacation.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding being up early, I too am not happy about the 7 am stressful log on when I'm on vacation. I also find that if I know I have something important first thing in the morning, I don't sleep well, my husband is the same. As much as it was a pain to set the alarm 60 days out to secure FP+ reservations, I'd much rather the pre- vacation excitement than than the stress while I'm supposed to be on vacation.

Yeah, I tend to get planning anxiety when things are a little bit unknown. Just in life in general. Which I think is why Disney had been so good for me since I could have a list of "knowns."

PRO: I had to be a little more spontaneous and it was fun just finding out what our day would brings us as we went. Kind of like the old paper FP days or even before. I really did like that. We never had tons of luck with 4th FP+ and this version we could do "good/tough to get rides" even later in the day on a whim.
CON: I lose sleep and get anxious when there is the unknown of what will happen each morning. Will the wifi or internet connection work? Will my plan for what to choose fall through? Will I sleep past my alarm? Will I have time to wake up, make the plans, still get breakfast and shower before leaving for the parks. Etc, etc.

We already have enough to worry about. What will crowds be like? Will it rain? Will X ride break down? Will the virtual queue be full? Will my family like what I planned? etc etc.

So again there are Pros and Cons. Everything ended up fine despite my anxiety which is the way most things go in life...but that's the fun of having anxiety...it still happens :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I tend to get planning anxiety when things are a little bit unknown. Just in life in general. Which I think is why Disney had been so good for me since I could have a list of "knowns."

PRO: I had to be a little more spontaneous and it was fun just finding out what our day would brings us as we went. Kind of like the old paper FP days or even before. I really did like that. We never had tons of luck with 4th FP+ and this version we could do "good/tough to get rides" even later in the day on a whim.
CON: I lose sleep and get anxious when there is the unknown of what will happen each morning. Will the wifi or internet connection work? Will my plan for what to choose fall through? Will I sleep past my alarm? Will I have time to wake up, make the plans, still get breakfast and shower before leaving for the parks. Etc, etc.

We already have enough to worry about. What will crowds be like? Will it rain? Will X ride break down? Will the virtual queue be full? Will my family like what I planned? etc etc.

So again there are Pros and Cons. Everything ended up fine despite my anxiety which is the way most things go in life...but that's the fun of having anxiety...it still happens :)

I think we have the same anxious brain!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. We have a ways to go before our next trip. So I'm hoping that will give me plenty of time to work out the best strategy for our next trip.

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd pass along a few thoughts from our recent trip. We were in WDW 24-29 October staying at the Shades of Green. It was a trip designed to give our granddaughters (ages 4 and 2) their first taste of the magic of Disney. We did a few "Big People" rides, but mostly focused on their adventure. We did 4 actual park days and hopped three of those. The following are few points of interest and/or tactics we used. Keep in mind, it was our first attempt and Genie+ and ILL$, so it took a little getting used to. Plus, it was different than if we were touring for ourselves and not the girls!

1) The parks were pretty busy over all. Utilizing EE by being in a Premium Resort was well worth the earlier starts. It especially worked well at MK. Most folks doing EE seemed to be focused on the bigger rides or heading towards 7DMT. We went straight to Peter Pan's Flight. Then crossed over to It's a Small World. Both rides completed by the time the park opened for Rope Drop. I had a LL for Pirates and then the adults took turns on Splash Mountain. From there we back-tracked to the Carousel and finally went all the way over to Carousel of Progress. By then it was 1045 so we headed to Chef Mickey's for our 1120 brunch. Afterwards we did a pool break and nap time for an hour before heading back to MK for a few more rides, some people watching and then the fireworks. We thought the show was pretty good. For those with young kids, we had ear muffs for them and both chose to wear them after the first few fireworks went off. Overall the day was quite awesome.

2) We utilized ILL$ in EPCOT to make sure the girls could get on Frozen without much of a wait. It worked great and well worth the extra bucks to not wait in line. EPCOT was pretty crowded around the Food and Wine booths, but overall it seemed like pretty short lines. We had LL for Soarin', again splitting the adults. We purchased Genie + that day because we started in Animal Kingdom that morning and it allowed us to do quite a few rides without wait, especially with EE. I was able to secure LL in EPCOT before we ever hopped and the ILL$ was bought early in the morning knowing we would be eating in Germany that evening. It made timing of things quite easy. For the record...the entertainment in Germany was great...the girls really loved it.

3) ILL and Genie+ are excellent ways to utilize hopping. We did EPCOT one morning with a hop to Hollywood Studios and between those two methods we were able to do everything we wanted and be done by 1900 and able to get the girls back for an evening swim before lights out.

4) I was a little worried about having to be on my phone too much, but it was less intrusive than I thought. It was nice however having the wait times at your finger tips.

5) The use of masks was pretty standard by most people on the transportation and in the buildings/rides. Some rides, like the Safari, did not require a mask be worn.

6) we never used the food order via online except once (in England) and it worked nicely. Food was almost instantly available. The food booths were busy but the food was good and a reasonable price for most items.

I'm sure I have some valuable info but time is short so I'm going to leave it here and answer any questions that come up with specific things in mind. Oh yeah, a lot of shows were back...Beauty and the Beast...Lion King...Frozen Sing a Long...all pretty good but not quite the same with a lack of parts of the original shows. Overall, we were very pleased with the entire trip...well, except Sea World but that's for another thread. Cheers!

If you meant early entry (EE), this is for all onsite guests, not just "premium." FYI. There is one extra hours night per week at MK or Epcot for deluxe resort guests.

We were in the parks 10/25-10/29 and only utilized Genie+ at MK on 10/29. It was definitely more crowded that day at MK.. due to it being Friday or Boo Bash event, not sure. Every other day we focused on utilizing EE, a touring plan, and our extra evening hours benefit @ MK on 10/27 (which was nice). I never felt like we needed Genie+ any of the days at the park with the planning I did beforehand. Any rides that we felt were worth paying for were ILL, which we did do for RotR (which broke down anyway), and FoP (which we didnt get to ride due to DD panicking after being strapped into the ride vehicle).

Everything else was short waits, and while the parks looked crowded, most of the week we were there we didn't see long lines on rides that we were interested in riding (as long as we prioritized busier rides early or at the end of the night). I actually disliked my Genie+ day the most, because I was on my phone more that day and we did more backtracking due to what LL's we snagged. Plus HM went offline after we were tapped in, and it was a huge hassle to get that removed from our genie+ so we could actually ride it later when it went back online. Had a less-than-stellar experience with Guest Services related to this, and honestly, just felt like there was very little "magic" to our genie+ day. Just my experience, though. I think Genie+ has its benefits depending on what kind of planner you are, what rides you want to do, and how crowded lines are the day you are there. Personally, I disliked waking at 7am to plan what ride I can do. I'd much rather have that option earlier, as it just adds another layer of stress to my park morning.

This coming from someone that hasn't been to WDW since 2009, and only my second trip to WDW ever. For me, the planning was the most significant part of having a stress-free vacation.

If you meant early entry (EE), this is for all onsite guests, not just "premium." FYI. There is one extra hours night per week at MK or Epcot for deluxe resort guests.
Wait, what?? The extra hours evening hours occurs only ONCE per week?? I thought it was every night! What if your trip isn't a full week? No extra evening hours then?

No. Almost 3 X/Week depending on the week. They alternate between MK & Epcot right now. Here is a link with all the dates:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/extended-evening/
Wait, what?? The extra hours evening hours occurs only ONCE per week?? I thought it was every night! What if your trip isn't a full week? No extra evening hours then?
Looks like I'm not allowed to post the link. Just google Disney Extended Evening Magic Hours. The dates are at the bottom.

Last edited:
They are (by design) there to get people to extend their trips but disguised as an on-site "benefit".

Thurs-Sunday (too bad, so sad) unless you arrive a day earlier or leave a day later.

Sorry for the confusion. It's once per week at MK. Once per week at Epcot, although it's really not needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter