I tried to give Disney money for ROTR ILL at 7am Sat and couldn’t get it. Dang app wanted my password again, then a code, then errored out for kicks and grins and by then 3 mins had passed and the return times were 3pm or later which didn’t work for us.

On the bright side all together in our group we saved like $60 that day 😂
This is what I’m afraid of too - I went to check into our hotel tonight (for saturday) and it asked me for the code it emailed to me. is It going to do that very time I try to purchase something or do something with a credit card (on file)? Is there something I can do so that things go more smoothly? I really don’t want to mess up our RotR or FoP ILL$ (despite hating to have to pay for it)! Seems to be a recent issue. It didn’t send me codes when I booked ADRs last month and I don’t even remember it asking me when I checked in to our hotel a few weeks ago during wine and dine weekend.

This is what I’m afraid of too - I went to check into our hotel tonight (for saturday) and it asked me for the code it emailed to me. is It going to do that very time I try to purchase something or do something with a credit card (on file)? Is there something I can do so that things go more smoothly? I really don’t want to mess up our RotR or FoP ILL$ (despite hating to have to pay for it)! Seems to be a recent issue. It didn’t send me codes when I booked ADRs last month and I don’t even remember it asking me when I checked in to our hotel a few weeks ago during wine and dine weekend.
When trying to use Genie+ in the park, 8/10 I had to login again and enter a code. I have zero idea why this kept happening. The tip board also was defaulting to a different park every time. New technology, Disney technology, so much fun :rotfl:

I tried to give Disney money for ROTR ILL at 7am Sat and couldn’t get it. Dang app wanted my password again, then a code, then errored out for kicks and grins and by then 3 mins had passed and the return times were 3pm or later which didn’t work for us.

On the bright side all together in our group we saved like $60 that day 😂
I noticed during my trip last week that it happened mostly when the wifi connection was poor or lost. One day I had to enter 10 codes in a row before I was able to access my tip board at 7 am ! :scared:

Wait times were way overstated - Rise posted 110, we were at the preshow/drop shop in 50, Peter Pan posted 95 we waited 40, Mine Train posted 90 we waited 19 minutes, Slinky posted 70 we waited 45 - all with line pauses to allow LL guests, but from what I can tell they’re interspersing the same # of LL and Standby as compared to the old FP+ which makes the lines move better than the old system. It’s now much easier to judge accurate wait times visually based on where the line starts. For some reason to me it felt less crowded than Spring Break but that’s just my perception.
Thank-you for sharing this info! I've been watching the wait times from home for several weeks and wondering if the wait times are really that high.

I noticed during my trip last week that it happened mostly when the wifi connection was poor or lost. One day I had to enter 10 codes in a row before I was able to access my tip board at 7 am ! :scared:
So would using data instead of wifi help avoid this problem?

It's a 6-digit number that is sent via email. You can't enter the same code twice, so as long as they ask you for a new code, you have to check your inbox.
Thank you, you two were the first to mention the code, so was curious, and it helps the rest of us planning to be prepared for a curve ball. Definitely sounds frustrating when not prepared for it, especially for something as time sensitive as the LL passes and possibly virtual queue for Remy

We just returned from a visit last week (Nov. 6 - Nov. 12) and here were some of our takeaways. We stayed onsite at Gran Destino, had Park Hoppers (upgraded to AP's), everyone in our group is in their 20s, and one of our members has DAS. Here are some of our key takeaways :) Let me know if you have any questions!
  • We used Genie+ only on our first HS day (which was a Sunday with high crowds) and we really liked it. We didn't try "stacking" any of the rides and would just add the next ride after we "tapped" in. We rope-dropped MMRR and used Genie+ to ride Tower of Terror, RNR, SDD, TSM, Swirling Saucers, and purchased ILL for Rise of the Resistance. I think the service is great for young adults/solo travelers. I could see it being tough to pay for though with a family.
  • Gran Destino Tower is gorgeous - the rooms are really spacious and feel bright. Only complaint about the resort would be the food options (the "food court" offered very little) and the bus service. It was typically great on the way to the parks - but we almost always took an Uber home (waited 50+ minutes for a bus back to the resort from AK and finally gave up).
  • Ubers/Lyfts are a great way to get around and definitely something we budget for. Rides were typically between $8-$10 no matter where we were going on property. We did notice a lot more surge pricing and longer waits (upwards of 10-15 minutes) for our cars. If you plan on taking an Uber after the fireworks anywhere - either leave right before they finish or wait a bit as the prices soar.
  • The ability to choose your DAS return time in the app (versus having to go to the individual attraction) is a game changer. If you use DAS, be aware that the return time was often 10-30 minutes earlier than what the actual standby wait would be (ex: At 12pm, Haunted Mansion has a 30 minute wait, the return time should be 12:30, but it would often be 12:15 or 12:20 instead).
  • The crowds have definitely picked up - but it didn't feel overwhelming at any point. We still think rope drop with a break in the middle of the day is the way to go. We saw no issues with COVID compliance anywhere (although be aware outside there are very few masks being worn) and felt as safe as one could.

Do you know what the code was? Is it just something they sent via email?
It’s a random generated code to make sure you really are you.

dang thing popped up again this morning when I was trying to retrieve my mobile order code. Their IT is ridiculously maddening. Last mobile order of the trip, same place I’ve been ordering from, same time of day, same method of internet access - yeah Disney. SUPER suspicious 🙄

General impressions from my trip this past weekend, since I found this thread interesting before my trip. Focused on the "extras" so to speak that we paid for:

- Very Merriest After Hours: We had a total ball. It is admittedly a fortune, and we made the decision to splurge- but its hard to beat being at the Magic Kingdom late at night, with short/no waits for rides (the longest was Mine Train for 30 minutes, most were walk on); all the soda/popcorn/water/ice cream/cookies/hot cocoa you can consume; a fun parade and great fireworks; and fake snow on main street :). It did feel more crowded than an After Hours I did in Feb 2020 but obviously different events are hard to compare.

- Genie +: This is the one I don't think I would do again, and minimally wouldn't do for every day of the trip. The good part was that it got us our Slinky Dog ride; Soarin; Test Track; and some other lower level rides to cut the 20min waits on day 1. But by day 2 it really just felt like more of a hassle to remember to check it, and frustrating to try to plan rides around dinner, etc. A bunch of the rides its maybe nice to have, but not really necessary also.

- Staying on property: This is something I always have done and probably will continue to do. the hotels are super pricey, but having disney transport is clutch - we did take a few ubers, but relied quite a bit on bus/skyliner/monorail where we could with general success. We did have some frustrations with the monorail, particularly when trying to get to Magic Kingdom for fireworks, and they had shut down the boats early and only had the resort line - this was frustrating. Early park entry felt useful, especially if you are not inclined to pay for the IAS or Genie +. Disney did get super confused with our switching resorts half way through the trip, and that was also a hassle - so beware, their IT on that type of thing still leaves a lot to be desired!

- Park hopping: Traditionally used to love it, but having to wait till 2 to hop was very frustrating. On day 2 we had some ride breakdowns in HS, with the end result that we were stuck with nothing to do for like 3 hours, as the lines became unmanageable. Really would have to think hard on doing this one again as well, if they don't change the 2pm rule.

Absolutely had a ball and ran myself ragged. Will wait a bit for my next trip, as my wallet is feeling all the extra squeezes from Disney these days.

- Park hopping: Traditionally used to love it, but having to wait till 2 to hop was very frustrating. On day 2 we had some ride breakdowns in HS, with the end result that we were stuck with nothing to do for like 3 hours, as the lines became unmanageable. Really would have to think hard on doing this one again as well, if they don't change the 2pm rule.

This was exactly what I was coming here to ask about - do we think the 2 PM rule will stick around forever? And is it hard and fast 2:00 or can we get into our 2nd park any earlier?

This was exactly what I was coming here to ask about - do we think the 2 PM rule will stick around forever? And is it hard and fast 2:00 or can we get into our 2nd park any earlier?
I wouldn't count on it changing any time soon, even though, in my opinion, it's long past run its course, other than it allows the under staffed buses to keep their focus on getting everyone to their first park of the day before needing to worry about hopping.

2pm is usually accurate though occasionally depending on the day, some have gotten in 5 - 15 minutes early.

Without the 2PM rule, there's really no point in having park reservations. So while I can see them maybe backing it up a smidge, I'd bet it sticks around a while.

I'm not sure if I can post for another family but here goes...We picked up my nephew and his family from the airport a day ago. They had a great trip and it was his inlaws first time. Our great nephew loved the fireworks and was so very excited.(He's 3) They did not have the extra money to spend on Genie and still accomplished everything they set out to do. His father inlaw is a huge coaster fan and they were able to ride a few several times. Slinky dog was a walk on in the evening which was a favorite of the family. The longest wait they encountered was Frozen. Epcot seemed the most crowded to them and the largest crowds were around fireworks. This is the first trip that they spent more money on snack foods versus meals. They loved the 50th anniversary snacks!!

Slinky dog was a walk on in the evening which was a favorite of the family.
This has been my favorite discovery of our past two trips (May 2021 and last week): how nice Hollywood Studios is the last few hours of the night. We hopped there one evening and got so much done it took the stress out of our first morning start. Bonus was seeing all the holiday decorations at night...possible unpopular opinion, but we loved them best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter