• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now-Our experiences so far driving to other hotels. Final Thoughts.

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
So far, only three hotels-OKW, BC, and POFQ. Now add AKL and PORS.
OKW-Where we're staying, but every time we come back, there's a new guard who asks "Are you checking in?" "Nope, we're staying here" "OK. Welcome Home!" and up goes the gate-maybe we have honest faces, but they have no idea if we're telling the truth, and they never ask for anything.
POFQ-We drove over for dinner, just for a change from here. The guard asked us if we were staying on property, I think he scanned DH's band to verify, then when we told him that we just came over to eat and maybe visit the gift shop (DH thought that would be helpful to say), with a friendly wave, we were in.
BC-The one place we needed a reservation and the guard looked at it. However, he didn't say anything about us only being 3-4 hours, or any kind of time limit (we got there around 2:45). After Beaches and Cream, I was going to take a skyliner ride, but DH preferred to walk around the Boardwalk to walk off his No Way Jose Sundae.
So far nothing more than I'd hoped/expected. Going to AKL Monday-looking forward to seeing what they say.

Last edited:
OKW-Where we're staying, but every time we come back, there's a new guard who asks "Are you checking in?" "Nope, we're staying here" "OK. Welcome Home!" and up goes the gate-maybe we have honest faces, but they have no idea if we're telling the truth, and they never ask for anything.
NM - saw your response on the other thread. I'm surprised - thought there was a right side gate in addition to the guard gate.

Your band will only work the gate if you’re staying at that property.
I edited my post after seeing OP's post on another thread - OP states that there isn't any right side gate at OKW. And OP is staying at OKW.

NM - saw your response on the other thread. I'm surprised - thought there was a right side gate in addition to the guard gate.

Just double-checked when we returned from lunch-only one gate. Everyone goes thru the guard to get in.

For lunch, we went to POR. Not sure what to say about our experience. First, when we got there, the guard was really taking lots of time with everyone, so we were sure she'd turn us away. But at some point just before we got up to her, after DH noticed that cars were backed up practically to the street, she apparently noticed also, and let both us and the car in front of us right in, I think in an effort to catch up. She just waved us through and pointed in the general direction of the main parking lot.
Returning to OKW, for the first time the guard asked for our room number and name (no ID though).

As expected, at both BCV and AKL, the guard asked to see our reservation. However, at AKL, we arrived an hour before our reservation, and they didn't say anything. So we were able to walk around the lobby, visit the gift shop, and look at the animals that night. Then, coming back to OKW, we got a relatively strict guard. She asked us our room number, then asked our name (to make sure it matched, I guess), then asked for ID. Monday we went back to POFQ, same guard, but he didn't remember us (no surprise). This time all he did was ask for ID, and DH decided to show his permit to carry concealed weapons instead of his drivers license. Didn't matter-the guard kept staring at his cell phone-didn't even look at the ID-and opened the gate. This time when we came back the guard just said "Checking in?" "Nope, just coming back" "Oh, well ,welcome home!" and up went the gate. No ID, no room #, nothing. So our final thoughts about visiting other resorts-there are certain resorts near parks, transportation, where you can expect to get quizzed a little. Other resorts-who knows what, if anything, they'll say. And I think it's all part of Disney's plan to do the unexpected-keep the guests guessing and things will be OK.
But somehow the Phantom Pizza Place that really isn't, just runs the scam, always manages to get in and leave flyers. Several this time, and when I was at BCV a few months ago, got several there also.

As expected, at both BCV and AKL, the guard asked to see our reservation. However, at AKL, we arrived an hour before our reservation, and they didn't say anything. So we were able to walk around the lobby, visit the gift shop, and look at the animals that night. Then, coming back to OKW, we got a relatively strict guard. She asked us our room number, then asked our name (to make sure it matched, I guess), then asked for ID. Monday we went back to POFQ, same guard, but he didn't remember us (no surprise). This time all he did was ask for ID, and DH decided to show his permit to carry concealed weapons instead of his drivers license. Didn't matter-the guard kept staring at his cell phone-didn't even look at the ID-and opened the gate. This time when we came back the guard just said "Checking in?" "Nope, just coming back" "Oh, well ,welcome home!" and up went the gate. No ID, no room #, nothing. So our final thoughts about visiting other resorts-there are certain resorts near parks, transportation, where you can expect to get quizzed a little. Other resorts-who knows what, if anything, they'll say. And I think it's all part of Disney's plan to do the unexpected-keep the guests guessing and things will be OK.
But somehow the Phantom Pizza Place that really isn't, just runs the scam, always manages to get in and leave flyers. Several this time, and when I was at BCV a few months ago, got several there also.
I have been several times in the last year - at least ten, stayed at BCV, BC, YC, BWV, BWI, POFQ, ASMu, ASMo, POP, Riviera, and CR and not once have I received a pizza flyer 😂. But I have witnessed people get turned away from BC and BW several times, as well as AKL last week when I was waiting to get in for my Boma reservation. Crazy how different people have different experiences.

Staying at OKW in a couple of weeks. Seems like it would be easier to go back to the old paper parking tags if they don't have a MB-activated gate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter