Here now--what the heck is this?

Have you had to explain to them what a telephone is yet? I've had so many kids at our climbing gym ask, "Miss Alex, why do you keep telling me to touch the telephone? I don't see one!" They expect to see a smartphone, not a landline! I feel old and I'm only in my mid-20s! :oops:

A telephone, no. But a vacuum cleaner, yes! It probably says something about my success 'keeping a house' as my in-laws say, but we have a cleaning lady and when I pulled out the central vac hose to clean up some broken glass once, they were stumped!

A telephone, no. But a vacuum cleaner, yes! It probably says something about my success 'keeping a house' as my in-laws say, but we have a cleaning lady and when I pulled out the central vac hose to clean up some broken glass once, they were stumped!
That's hilarious. :rotfl2:

I posted this exact picture on these boards! We never figured it out. I don't think it's a radio. Wouldn't it have an antenna? Or better knobs? It looks to me like the back of the bus. The only thing I could come up with is no standing behind the bus.

It really is strange. If I get the chance to ask the bus driver in 2 weeks I'll come back and post the answer. :)

Haha! To me it looks like a bus, but obviously that makes no sense.
I agree it's a radio, but what a silly pic to choose!

It almost looks like the back of a bus. I hope the drivers ding need to ge told not to hit the back of a bus!

There's a series of videos that introduce kids to "old" things like phones, Walkman, records. They're hilarious.

We wondered about that a bit way back in 2008 when we first rode the Disney Bus, and to me it did look like the back of the bus. I assumed that it meant no crossing behind the bus, where visibility for the driver is very limited.

Have you had to explain to them what a telephone is yet? I've had so many kids at our climbing gym ask, "Miss Alex, why do you keep telling me to touch the telephone? I don't see one!" They expect to see a smartphone, not a landline! I feel old and I'm only in my mid-20s! :oops:

But every time you teach them the info you're helping them.

I know what a truly old fashioned telephone looks like (the candlestick type things) and am better for it, and these kids are better for knowing as well. In the future, teach them first! :)

But every time you teach them the info you're helping them.

I know what a truly old fashioned telephone looks like (the candlestick type things) and am better for it, and these kids are better for knowing as well. In the future, teach them first! :)

Hence why rides like Carousel of Progress are still important :)

I assumed that it meant no crossing behind the bus, where visibility for the driver is very limited.
It's not limited, it's nonexistent directly behind most WDW buses. However, the rule is that WDW bus drivers are not to back up unless they have a spotter, so a warning sign would not be necessary.

It's a boom box. Because you know, so many people still carry those around.
The funniest thing to me is that it looks more like. 1930s era radio than any boombox I've ever seen. LOL!

Definitely an old-timey radio, not a boombox:

istock_vintage_radio.jpg

boom-box-on-white.jpg

Confusing as they are, I wish these signs were in restaurants, too. I'm so tired of listening to kids' cartoons in restaurants because they are watching them on tablets/phones without headphones! Just a pet peeve of mine.

No 8-track players?
No cute Frankenstein monsters?
No electric heaters?
No toaster ovens?
No toast machines as found in motel breakfast areas?
No one with a high forehead?
It's one of those, for sure!! :crazy:

The funniest thing to me is that it looks more like. 1930s era radio than any boombox I've ever seen.

That's what I thought! A boombox is outdated but that looks like something Uncle Orville in Carousel Of Progress would listen to. No privacy a'tall around here.;)

Ha! That picture totally stumped me and my sisters on our last trip too! We thought it might be a radio, but who carries around a radio these days? NO ROBOTS or NO OTHER BUSES BECAUSE THIS ONE IS THE BEST seemed a lot more likely to us.

We ended up asking the bus driver before we got off and he confirmed that it is indeed NO RADIOS!

Reminds me of the time I had to explain where the phrase "hang up the phone" comes from. I feel old too, lol.

Just a couple of days ago I was trying to explain those red phone booths in the UK pavilion of Epcot to a 4 year old. "Phone. Booth? What?".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter