Hey, anyone from Jackson, MS

Savanah'sMom

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone, I'm making a trip to Jackson and Vicksburg in 2 weeks, and would like some info about the area. How is the zoo in Jackson? What is the best place to stay (not too expensive) and what area? Other than the zoo, what else would a 5 year old enjoy doing in the area?

TIA!!!

Not from Jackson, but my grandma lives near there. We've been to the Jackson zoo and were NOT impressed. I liked the natural history museum. (I'm not sure of the exact name though...) Next time we go up, we plan to visit the agricultural museum. It looks really cool. You can look these up online too. Plug it into google along with Jackson, ms and it should pop right up.

When I was about 5 my mom would take me to the old state capital when we were there. I LOVED it. But then, I was a weird child who loved old buildings. :rolleyes: I think it has a museum in it too.

Hi, I am not from Jackson. I'm actually in Hattiesburg which is about 2 hours south of Jackson. I have never stayed in a hotel in Jackson, so I can't help you there. The zoo is nice, just not as big as the zoos in many larger cities. We always enjoy our visits there. There are several museums in Jackson. Try going to visitjackson.com. It will give you a list of places to go and of any special events that are going on when you visit.

We really liked the natural history museum, too. And my ds loved the plantitarium (sp?). There are a lot of educational places to visit.

I'm from Jackson. The zoo is much better now than it used to be. They have done some major improvements to it in the last few years. The Natural Science museum is great and pretty inexpensive. It is inside of a park, so after a trip to the museum, your child can go and play at the playground. A PP mentioned visitjackson.com, that is a great website to give you more information on the area. Vicksubrg is great as well lots of history there it is about 45 minutes from Jackson.

I would not stay in Jackson proper, unless us stay on the north side of town. Pearl, Brandon, Madison or Ridgeland would all be my bets especially with a small child.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Don't stay IN Jackson PLEASE! Try going out toward Lakeland Drive (Flowood MS). The museums are out that way. I think they still have the dinosaur exhibit going on? If you or your child likes baseball, the Pearl Braves have a GREAT stadium right off the interstate, near Bass Pro Shop, in Pearl. I like the zoo, but the area around it can be kinda scary:scared1:

If you are staying awhile, there is a wonderful waterpark in Philadelphia MS-Geyser Falls-run by our local band of Choctaw Indians. It would make for a fun day (open from 10:30 until 6). We have season passes and go once a week-would go more if gas wasn't so high!

Closer to Jackson, down I20, Pelahatchie has a Yogi Bear park with water areas and play grounds for kids. They also have cabins to rent.

Roosevelt State Park in Morton (right off I-20 exit 77) has great cabins, waterslide and pool, nature trails, deer pens, etc. The cabins are around $80 a night, with a kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. They have screen porches and are on the lake. Very rustic, but very peaceful-just depends on what you like.

I haven't been to Vicksburg in a long time, but remember going to some Civil War museums while in school.

Thanks for the replies. 5slays & December, ok, definatly not staying in Jackson. We are going up on saturday from So. LA. and then bringing DD5 to here mawmaw's on sunday in Vicksburg. Should we get a room in Flowood or Clinton or is Pearl a better choice?

Thanks for the replies. 5slays & December, ok, definatly not staying in Jackson. We are going up on saturday from So. LA. and then bringing DD5 to here mawmaw's on sunday in Vicksburg. Should we get a room in Flowood or Clinton or is Pearl a better choice?

Clinton is nice and closer to Vicksburg but it will further than most of the stuff that you will want to do. You also have to be careful with Clinton as some hotels that are in Jackson will say they are in Clinton...

Flowood and Pearl both have several new hotels that you would probably like. Just depends on the location you are looking for. Flowood is not directly off of I-20 but Pearl is just east of Jackson.

Flowood or Pearl should be fine. It is really easy to get to Lakeland Drive from Pearl, to do the museums and things over there, so either way you'll be close. I went to school in Clinton, but haven't been there in years so don't know if they offer any entertainment for kids.

I used to live in Jackson and my mother still lives there....well, Byram. When we go down, we always stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Pearl.

I used to live in Jackson and my mother still lives there....well, Byram. When we go down, we always stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Pearl.

That one is nice, Pearl also has a new Jamieson Inn, and a Hilton Garden Inn right next to Bass Pro and the Braves Stadium.

I don't know about the hotel, but the Bass Pro Shop area is really nice. It is fun just to walk around and look at all the fish and animals. The movie theater is right there as well. And several nice places to eat. The Wed before Father's Day, we ate at Lone Star Steakhouse before going to a Braves game, and it was heavenly!

Thank ya'll so much for the help. I just booked the Country Inn & Suites in Flowood. Thanks again.:thumbsup2

I hope you have a great time!

****The zoo really is nice-just don't stray from that area. I'm not scared at all there, but took a wrong turn leaving one evening and was freaking out by the time I found I55!

LOL, I know how you feel December. The closest zoo I have is in New Orleans. I am NOT a city person. I'm going to wait and see how the weather is that weekend be for deciding wheather to do the zoo or the museum. Is the zoo big? do you think it can be done in half a day or so? DD is not slow at looking at things.

My parent's live in Clinton and I grew up there. I have stayed at the hampton inn in Clinton - and the Holiday inn express. I like the Hampton better.

I spent a week there while my dad was in the hospital and several weekends while he was in rehab.

LOL, I know how you feel December. The closest zoo I have is in New Orleans. I am NOT a city person. I'm going to wait and see how the weather is that weekend be for deciding wheather to do the zoo or the museum. Is the zoo big? do you think it can be done in half a day or so? DD is not slow at looking at things.

I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I think you could see most of it in a half day. Last time I was there, seems like there was a new area with local animals, like gaters! The kids liked it (That was probably spring 2007).

But my kids LOVE the natural science museum, and you'll be alot closer to it.

In all honesty, I'd much rather be in the a/c than the heat, so we will probably go to the natural science museum. We've never been to one, so this will be the perfect oppritunity. Is there a place to grab lunch there, or are we going to have to leave to eat and then go back? Any suggestions on where to eat? preferably on Lakeland drive or Flowood Drive.

We've never eaten there-not sure if they have anything! But there are tons of places nearby.

They still have the dinosaur exhibit!

http://www.mdwfp.com/museum/

You're a southern girl-you know what July is like here! The AC would be my choice as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter