• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HH - Assigning Rooms - HA

We are going there next spring.

Are there any activities we should book ahead of time? (We are not golfers.)

I seem to recall that DVC members aren't charged for local or toll free calls from a DVC resort, but I might be mistaken.

Are there phone charges at HH? If so, what are they?

Your update is making me sooooo homesick for our DVC home at HHI!:goodvibes

I'm definately going to request the main building from now on!

Thanks for your WWII link.

Well we're back home. And next June when we return, seems so far away. I forgot where I left off, so I thought maybe I'd just post some highlights -

- We spent a lot of time just laying on the beach this trip. Much more so than we have in the past. The weather was perfect. Even though the sun was always out, there was a nice breeze that kept the temp. very comfortable.

- We did the kayaking tour and had a blast. We highly recommend this tour. It was not hard to do at all and it was fun just paddling around the marshes and waterways. It was a full two hour tour (now isn't that how Gilligan started :)) but the time went by quickly. You actually go quite a distance but the paddling was easy. We thought we'd be sore the next day but we weren't. DW and I got a double kayak and did just fine for a couple of 55+ folks.

- We went into Beaufort one day and Savannah the other. I think next trip we'll skip Savannah. After you've been there 3-4 times it gets a little old. We did eat at Paula Deen's restaurant and the food was very good. I think next trip, we'll just stop by Charleston on the way home for an extra night.

- We ate out at a lot of very good restaurants. We did not have a bad meal the entire week. I would rank our favorites in the following order - Wreck of Salty Dog, Salty Dog Cafe, Scotts, Old Oyster Factory, San Miguels, Paula Deen's. We ate breakfast at Stacks this morning and it was very good also.

- Several nights we drove over to the Beach House and walked along the beach in the dark. This was a lot of fun and a great way to end the day.

- I just love walking around the marina and also stopping by the outdoor bar at Scotts. Frankly, I'm surprised that the business' there stay in business. It is always kind of quite, with not many people at all. In fact after Monday, the resort itself was very quite (except for the room next door that had a baby that did a lot of crying).

- Don't miss the free coffee as well as the free wireless Internet in the Lodge.

- Now to go out on a limb. Don't get me wrong we absolutely love the HH resort and since we have points there, plan to return every year until we are in wheel chairs (in fact DW said I could roll her down to the beach in her wheel chair when the time comes); but there are some things I wish that were different. First, I wish the food service places stayed open later. Especially Tide-Me-Over. It's ridiculous it closes at 5:00. Plus I wish it had a more varied menu and in fact had some sit-down facilities (maybe like a little Olvias). Second, for folks in the Lodge (and elsewhere) that don't have a nice water/marsh view (we did have a nice tree this time), I wish they had a place somewhere that you could go and sit in a nice rocker and watch the water. Maybe a nice deck facility behind Tide-Me-Over that folks could gather at, sit and rock, talk and meet each other. In fact, perhaps even have an outdoor bar that stayed open later. That would make a really nice place where you could meet other members.

- Anyway, that's our week. It was fantastic and we are ready to go back. I joked with DW saying it's hard to believe we actually own property on HHI (and she reminded me that it probably only amounts to a few square inches :) ).

- The only good thing about coming home is we have two (and possibly three) WDW trips between now and when we return to HHI next June. So I'll be busy planning those trips next.

Wow, did you take my comments wrong. I love the HHI resort. I was just making a comment that I didn't get the room I wanted and admitted it was my fault because I was being too picky. I know there are not many studios and the resort is full, so I shouldn't expect to get everything I wanted. I was just commenting I felt it interesting that the CM told me that they typically assign HA rooms to groups of two as a standard procedure when the resort is full. As far as the weather, of course I know it wasn't Disney's fault. Why would I blame Disney for it raining. Don't get me wrong - my comments (it wasn't a review) were not meant to be negative as much as an observation.

Moving on - we just got back from eating at the Old Oyster Factory. We had eaten there a couple of years ago and really were not that impressed. But we returned and found the food to be excellent this time. I had the crab cakes which were delicious and DW had the steamed shrimp which were very good also.

We then just walked around the marina. Has anyone ever eaten at the Little Italy restaurant? They had a large crowd it looked like. Is it a fancy place? The folks looked a little more dressed up than at other places we've been to.

Tomorrow we plan to hit the beach.

Little Italy restaurant - after numerous trips to HH we had a dinner there in April. It was good, homestyle italian red sauce cooking with reasonable prices. We enjoyed it and will return. No need to dress up, but I wouldn't go in a tank top.

Regarding restaurants at Shelter Cove - has anyone eaten at the Parrot Cove restaurant that is right next to Little Italy? I'm talking about the one to the right of Little Italy on the side not the one next to Scotts. I had never even noticed this place until about Thursday night.

Thanks for the HH report. You've made me so homesick. The spouse and I were just talking this afternoon about wanting more flex time with my professional requirements to enable us to visit HH on a yearly basis.

We should be hearing tommorrow if I snagged a second interview for my "dream ' job. If that comes through we'll be HH bums every year at Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter