• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HH/Charleston

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
I'm considering a HH trip with girl friends in late March or early April, 2006 (hope to get in at 7 months window!) I have never been to this part of the U.S. so want to also see Charleston and Savannah while we're there. I've tried to search previous posts to help with planning. It sounds as though Savannah is only about an hour drive from HH, so we could do that as a day trip once (or twice, if necessary). But Charleston sounds like maybe 2 hours, so maybe we need to stay there to avoid getting burned out on commuting??? Should we fly into Charleston and stay for 2 nights before heading to HH? If so, can someone recommend a place to stay that is nice but not super expensive. TIA for any help.

I have been to both and had great times in both cities. My long time preferences are Marriott Res. Inn's or Hampton Inn's

...but...I would suggest to you to "search Charleston, as I just did... and it will give you a multitude of places to stay. Then do mapquest.com for directions to HH.

Have a great time!! :goodvibes

I can help!! We go to Hilton Head often, and our daughter goes to the College of Charleston. We've made the drive a few times; in fact we're doing it this weekend, to combine a relaxing day near HH with taking her back to school!

The drive is about 2 hours. We usually take the back roads, which are very scenic, but only two lanes in a lot of places. If you take I-95, you can drive faster, but you have to go out of your way to get to the Interstate, so it takes just as long. I would definitely recommend staying over at least one night. There is MUCH to do there; trying to cram it all into one day is next to impossible, especially if you have driving to do on top of it.

We like to stay at the Marriott Courtyard near the marina. It's not RIGHT downtown, but it's not too far out. We're usually able to get a decent rate using AAA, but we've been able to snag it using Priceline, too. The biggest drawback is that it's too far to walk to the downtown historic district, and parking can be a challenge.

Savannah is a great place to visit as well. You're right, it can be done as a day trip from Hilton Head. Charleston and Savannah are very similar in a lot of ways. Personally, if I had to choose one or the other, I think I'd go with Charleston. Another option is Beaufort, which is between Hilton Head and Charleston. It's a much smaller city, but still would make a great day trip.

Hope this helps. Just don't be surprised if once you get to Hilton Head you decide you don't really want to leave the island -- it's THAT nice!

Haven't stayed there, but there's a Best Western Historic District (Charleston) that looks nice.

Disneyaholic! I'm at Kiawah Island this weekend! Want to come visit? I know a great place for breakfast.... Anyway, I have a very important question and think you might be able to answer it.

We just drove the back roads route (US 17) from HH to Charleston last week. What is with the speed limits? Long, long stretches of 50 mph on apparently fine highways. Plus saw lots of police. Is this a speed trap? I thought it really strange. I felt like it took us forever to get to Charleston. Seems like there ought to be a lot quicker way to get there. I know the route gave me a very poor impression of South Carolina and Charleston. Previously I had thought that going to Charleston would be a nice day trip when we stay at HH, but not anymore; we'll just go to Savannah from now on.

In Charleston I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Marion Square & the Marriott near the marina. Both were very good places for a variety of reasons :). However, I would definiltey stay away from the Francis Marion Hotel for so many reasons I could write an essay :(.

Enjoy Charleston - we love Market Street Sweets pralines! The same company owns a store in Savannah with a different name - cannot remember it off hand.

JudithM
Congratulations on post #5,000!
When you stayed at the Marriott near the marina, did you have a big problem parking at the historic district? (Since this will be our first trip to the area, we will be doing all the tourist stuff.) As I've been reading, it sounds like parking can be an issue.

jekjones1558 said:
JudithM
Congratulations on post #5,000!
When you stayed at the Marriott near the marina, did you have a big problem parking at the historic district? (Since this will be our first trip to the area, we will be doing all the tourist stuff.) As I've been reading, it sounds like parking can be an issue.

Thank you! I thought about my post number yesterday, but forgot about it this morning!

When we stayed at the Holiday Inn at Marion Square we were within walking distance to the Market area. They have a parking garage attached to the hotel where we parked while guests there. The night we stayed att he Marriott we parked in their garage, but we used our car to go out to dinner across the river.

One touristy thing we did last trip was take a horse ride through the historic distict. It was so neat! I don't know which company it was since our group required something like four carriages, & I didn't plan it. It was a great way to see the historic area, the Battery, etc.

WolfpackkFan---
There's a reason behind the speed limits. They just lowered them to 50--they used to be 60+ and everyone would drive 70+. However, after yet another accident that killed 4 people, and the designation of that stretch as one of America's deadliest highways, the state has stepped in to reduce the carnage. About a month ago the speed limit was reduced and enforcement was raised---they gave out over 1200 tickets in a 3 week period. What needs to happen (and everyone agrees) is for the whole stretch to be made 2 lanes both ways---now it just comes down to funding. :rolleyes:

I drive that stretch a lot, but now I just put the cruise control on 55 and enjoy the scenery. Actually, it's a lot more relaxing drive that way! :moped:

Which way did you go? You can take the 17-21-170 route onto Hwy. 278 or you can catch the I-95 for part of the drive (bypassing the Beaufort area). Unless it's Sat. and the 278 is backed up, it's a bit faster (and less frustrating) to hop on the 95.

HTH!

I drove from Charleston to Hilton Head a couple of years ago, and it was a 2 hour drive. We stayed at a very nice Hampton Inn in town.....it was a little pricey but we were only there one night. It had the best and biggest continental breakfast I'd ever had!! You could walk to the sights but it was several blocks...have fun! I want to go back sometime..

There is a Hampton Inn - Historic District - right across the street from the Visitor Center. If you are doing any of the trolley tours, it is the perfect location. Don't know about the price. Lots of good information available in the visitor center. April weather should be nice, also. Since it is a full two hour drive from Hilton Head, when I visit Charleston again, I will definitely spend the night or fly in there to spend a couple of days before going on to HH.

That's right, the Hampton Inn next to the Visitor Center is where I stayed. It was really nice and as I said, the best lobby breakfast I've seen!

I hope you get in, and give a trip report. I'm hoping to do what you're saying in March '07.

Bobbi :flower:

Next to the Hampton is the Embassy Suites which is in the old Citadel building. The Hampton and the Embassy share a parking lot, which cost maybe $10-12 a night to park there. We liked the location of the Embassy since it was a short stroll to the visitors center, and then we caught the trolley.

We've also stayed at the Best Western which is very convenient to the market area. It is an older hotel, and we found it to be very noisy--our room was right next to the street. It does have free parking though, and is in a great location.

ALOHA!

We've done both also.

Have you considered a B&B or historic home? Might be a bit more $ but there are sooo many wonderful places to choose from...and you get to experience real Southern hospitality, too (even tho' one of our hosts in Charleston WAS from NJ!!) We just went on-line to pick ours...also, parking was included with both and since they were in historic districts, we walked everywhere!

Also, don't miss at least ONE ghost tour, especially in Savannah...the place just oozes atmosphere! We also enjoyed Civil War tours in both cities.

And YES...Do Not Miss The PRALINES!!!

Hope it works out...have fun!
~Rose~ :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter