• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HHI in September...

doubletrouble_vb

Inspired
I snagged a trade into the Harbour Town Yacht Club the last week of September...a facility I've been able to find little or no information about. It is Sat to Sat so I'm thinking about padding the beginning or end with a cash stay at DVC...hoping for a reasonable rate...that way I can bring along more company.

Anyway...what is there to do for middle-aged and elderly people on HHI? My mom is 77 ...the most sporting thing she does is walk. I plan to ride a bike a bit. I did learn SOME things about this resort... it apparently is loosely affiliated with Sea Pines and is in downtown Harbour Town...and has no stove in the units. Anyone know where the beach might be in Sea Pines? Know any places on the island with laid back atmosphere and entertainment old people might like? Also...authenic low-country food. The last time we were there we wound up going into Bluffton to a place that was great but surely there is SOMEWHERE on the island they serve authenic cuisine. And finally any restaurants that serve a variety of fish dishes (as opposed to shellfish)?

HTYC would be a pretty neat trade, IMO! Some friends who belong there asked us up for drinks one night---you get to sit on the patio at the top of the building, high above Harbour Town. Loved it! There is also a restaurant up there. I haven't seen the rooms, but our friends like it there.

To get to the beach, follow the signs to "the Beach Club"---from HT, straight down Lighthouse road, go halfway around Greenwood circle, turn left when the road ends, past the golf course and Monarch, and Beach Club is there on your right. Probably a 5 minute drive--the total distance is a tad over a mile.

We tried Sea Shack a few times this summer. Some things were better than others, but overall I liked it, and I would definitely put it in the category of "authentic lowcountry food". Lots of seafood/fish choices; great side dishes. If you want something with nicer ambiance (Sea Shack is very casual diner-type), try Captain's Seafood (more expensive, though still reasonable).

Your mom might enjoy a boat ride/dolphin cruise on one of the bigger boats that leaves from HT pier. If the weather is clear, go for a sunset cruise--beautiful!

Entertainment: The Jazz Club has live music every night. There is also Marley's (pretty hopping during the summer, might be a lot quieter in Sept). Also, just yesterday, I posted a newspaper article of places to go at night in HH--try looking at that.

ETA: jnrrt has first-hand experience at the Yacht Club. Maybe she'll post more, or send her a pm.

September is my fav time of the year in HH (assuming the hurricanes stay away)

The weather is still nice, but the crowds have gone home!

So far so good. Probably one of the best trades I've ever made. The unit is a town house with a nice view of the marina and some really nice yachts. Haven't gone up to the clubhouse but we are enjoying walking around and listening to the evening singers and daily maid service & newspapers is quite a nice perk. We'll take the free cruise on Thursday or Friday. All very nice but amenities I'd rather not pay for through DVC. Shockingly the person who made the exchange has to pay the daily fee for our maid service whether we use it or not....I wouldn't be a happy camper with that arrangement.

Anyhoooo...I know I'll be using more of my DVC points for HHI in the future. It's a pleasant break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter