HHI Logistics

cchron

F&W Fan
We will be going to HHI for the first time in May and although we will have our car I hate to drive while on vacation. Is there good shopping/dining options within walking and/or biking distance?

Yes, there are shopping and dining spots very close.... are they good? Not really. The island is very small with one main road that basically makes a circle around the island. So its very easy to get around. However, one thing to know about the island, they have very strict codes on building shapes, colors, lights on signs, etc. So in short there are no golden arches, there's a McDonald's but it doesn't look like a McDonalds. At night unless you know exactly where you are going it is very easy to miss things because nothing is lit up (maybe a small flood light). That's just FYI but I absolutely love the island (been going for years and years) its very relaxing and family oriented. I hope you love it too!

We will be going to HHI for the first time in May and although we will have our car I hate to drive while on vacation. Is there good shopping/dining options within walking and/or biking distance?

As far as food shopping is concerned, you could ride a bike, depending on how many packages you can handle. I guess you could tow one of those baby things behind you, lol. There are several food markets nearby. Kroger was supposed to open in December - not sure if it did. Piggly Wiggly is leaving and Whole Foods are coming in their space. There is also a Fresh Market about a mile or so away.

Restaurants near the resort - I think that you would be able to bike to quite a few. Definitely enough for a weeks trip. I'm thinking under 2 miles one way or so.

Walking would be more limited - there are restaurants in Shelter Cove, Kingfisher, Scotts, the Mexican food place and the Italian place, plus at least 2 more - I will edit if I remember the names. Plus limited fast food at the resort, breakfast sandwiches, French toast, burgers, wraps and chicken pieces, fries and onion rings.

Shopping for clothing and souvenirs - very limited in a walking/biking radius - you need a car.

There is a pretty good restaurant right across the bridge to the left that has good seafood and entertainment at night. The trumpet player from the Commodore's use to play there regularly. The publix grocery is not a bad drive but it is hard to see from the road since traditional signage is not allowed.

Yes, there are shopping and dining spots very close.... are they good? Not really. The island is very small with one main road that basically makes a circle around the island. So its very easy to get around. However, one thing to know about the island, they have very strict codes on building shapes, colors, lights on signs, etc. So in short there are no golden arches, there's a McDonald's but it doesn't look like a McDonalds. At night unless you know exactly where you are going it is very easy to miss things because nothing is lit up (maybe a small flood light). That's just FYI but I absolutely love the island (been going for years and years) its very relaxing and family oriented. I hope you love it too!

At night? We've gotten lost there during the day! But we see it as "all part of the experience" (in the words of Sparky Griswold)-a giant "Where's Waldo" game. Here's the Dunkin Donuts sign, for example-

Although I also LOVE the island and Disney's resort, I'm not sure how well you'd do there if you don't like to drive.

We were there for Christmas. THe new Kroger is open and is huge. You can bike to it. THe Whole Foods is opening in the spring, it is even closer. Please read reviews on Yelp or some other site before going to Kingfisher, it has awful reviews. The Itailian place is gone at the Shelter Cove Shoppes, but it looks like a new one is going in. The mexican place is still there. There is a pizza place you can bike to, and after you make a right onto 278 and across the street there are a couple of interesting restaurants and a bagel place.

Also, Trip Advisor's HHI forums have a couple of perople who live on the island and give excellent island info, check there too. (I love DIS, but it is not my only source of info)

We've only been to HHI so I'm not an expert, but I just wanted to throw out there that if you don't like to drive a lot there is a Walmart on the Right a bit after you get onto the island that you could stop at to stock up on before you get to the Resort. But when we were there we shopped at the Piggly Wiggly too. What is the name of the Pizza place at the end of the shopping center with Piggly Wiggly? Man it was good. They had great Italian Wedding soup too. My youngest daughter (3.5/4 then) ate almost my whole takeout container while I fished balloons out of the ceiling fan they'd let go... Thanks Kids!! haha

OMG yes be careful at night we were looking for Publix and covered by pine trees we finally found it. Ask Mike the pool guy he is great with all info in both HH and Savanah. There are a handful of placers to eat close some even offer DVC discounts.

IMO one misses out on far too much at HH without using the car. I personally wouldn't go if I wasn't comfortable with at least some driving for restaurants and activities. There are certainly enough restaurants and shopping within a bike ride to make do but likely not with just walking for most people.

IMO one misses out on far too much at HH without using the car. I personally wouldn't go if I wasn't comfortable with at least some driving for restaurants and activities. There are certainly enough restaurants and shopping within a bike ride to make do but likely not with just walking for most people.

I second this. You will miss a lot of the island if you are unwilling to drive. Very easy to get around too.

I would agree that you will miss a lot unless you are willing to drive, but there are over 15 restaurants within walking distance (less than a mile) of the resort. The new Kroger is huge (and has its own cafe) and new restaurant - Poseidon - with a 2nd story bar overlooking Broad Creek is expected to be open by this summer.

Within 1/4 mile are Kingfisher, Scott's Fishmarket (restaurant), Bistro 17, Little Venice, Parrot Cove, San Miguel's and ELA'S Bluewater Grille. We enjoy ELAS and Bistro 17 but have also enjoyed meals at Kingfisher and Scott's. In the summer months, Scott's and San Miguels have outside live entertainment. Kingfisher's also offers entertainment and Bistro has a pianist inside. The new Shelter Cove Towne Center is less than 1/2 mile (Poseidon will be located there), Giuseppi's Pizza is 100 yards from Kroger. Across 278 (East side) is Sante Fe Cafe, Sea Grass Grille and Alexander's is about 3/4 of a mile on the road to the Beach House. The Hilton Head Diner, Bullie's BBQ and Dye's Gullah Fixin's are all on the west side of 278 a little south of the DVC resort but still within walking/biking distance.

There are few others within the same distance and many, many more a short drive away as HH has over 300 (308 at last count) restaurants on the island.

There is truly something for every taste and budget.

Enjoy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter