HHI- Loved It!- Trip Report for Family With Young Children

emma'smom

<font color=magenta>P.S. Who would serve turnips a
Just back from a full week at HHI....it was so great we extended the trip by an extra night!! Here goes:

We arrived on Sunday evening just in time to check into room 1111 in the lodge and do a quick resort tour. We were initially disappointed to be so far from the pool, but the walk turned out to be pretty quick and we liked having access to the elevator (stroller) and covered parking. Also, we had easy access to complementary lemonade and cookies every afternoon and easy treks to the activities in Big Murgie's Den. Finally, there is a small Mickey Mouse figurine (about three feet high) that we walked by everyday and my two year old would give it a hug. So...for us...the house came with the mouse!

The room was very clean (a studio) with lots of room. The balcony was very large with two rockers and a table. There was lots of green around..it was very private. I would sit out here in the morning, but it was hot later in the day...so we didn't use it much.

Our only concerns...it was a handicapped room...which we did not request...but the resort was pretty full and it was what they had on the first day...and we didnt' feel like moving again. This was only a problem because it did not contain a tub...just a walk-in shower and we have young children who are used to baths. We made it work....but my two year old reminded us all week that "we don't have a bathtub". We could have moved the second night, but again, chose not to.

My DH wished the beds were a bit updated as the fold-out was the old "bar in the back" style and the actual bed seemed to have seen better days. I was so tired at the end of the day that I would just fall asleep wherever I was.

Sunday Evening-
Went to main pool area to look around and rent a bike for DD5. They had small ones with training wheels and a lock...25.00 for the length of stay. We only rented one for her since DH and I aren't really confident bikers and we were navigating the stroller as well.

Took a quick dip in the pool. It was a bit warm, but still refreshing. DD5 loved the slide....but it did close pretty early. We didn't really mind...it was a good excuse to get out and get cleaned up for dinner/evening activities. We picked up a couple of refillable mugs (10.99) each and this was our best purchase all week! Unlike WDW where we only really used them at night...we used our mugs all day long because we could fill them at the pool in the resort and at the beach house.

After swimming, we went back to the villa and cleaned up and reviewed the activity list. I was so impressed with the number of activities for families, children of all ages, etc. We went to the campfire and loved it! The CM's were really like camp counselors and led the group in an hour long sing-a-long using many traditional camp songs with a Disney twist. The firepit was shaped like a mickey head. The kids sat on benches around the fire ring and parents/other adults sat on chairs and picnic tables around the outer edge. At the end of the campfire, everyone lined up on the pier to get marshmellows on skewers that we roasted and then took over to another table to make them into s'mores. There was no additional charge for this event. It was a blast...just like my old camping days....but the CM's did all the grunt work and when it was over...we went back to pleasant, air conditioned rooms instead of the pop-up trailers of my childhood. We didn't have time for dinner before all of these exciting events, so we ordered a pizzza and a buffalo chicken weggie from Giuseppie's (10% discount for DVC). It was ok...I liked the weggie more than the pizza. They did deliver...so it was a good first night, quick meal.

Monday-
We did a marsh walk in the morning that was lead by the resort's naturalist. They had marsh walking boots set out for everyone and once we were ready, the naturalist led us on about an hour trek through the marsh looking at various flora and fauna. I liked that the activities were all really kept to the publicized amount of time.

After the walk, we headed over to the Beach House for lunch. We drove to the Beach House everyday...and found that we were able to find a space easily or with just a bit of a wait. We chose not to take the shuttle very often because we had so much "beach gear" and those towels. We really liked the Beach House pool...and spent a lot of time here. We had lunch at Signals (typical burgers/fries fare....and the refillable mugs). It was fine...but didn't stand out has fantastic....just convenient. I wish there was a place to eat in air conditioning, but we did find a shady table. We didnt' have any problems with beach chairs (at either pool). In fact, it seemed a bit uncrowded for the last week of June.

We hit the beach after lunch. It was very, very hot! We had an umbrella and I spent most of the time hiding under it while the kids dug in the sand. We went in the water for awhile, but it was moving toward high-tide and my dd5 was a bit intimidated. DD2, mind you, thought it was great.

We finished up at the beach and headed back to the villa to clean up and then went to Harbour Town in Sea Pines for dinner. We didn't fully get that this was a town within a gated community until we got to teh gate where we had to pay 5.00. This was all well and good, but I think I would have planned to go earlier in the day and do the light house to get more for my money. Oh well...live and learn. We did find a parking place right in Harbour Town and walked around a bit admiring the yachts and lighthouse. We put our name in at Crazy Crab and let the kids watch Greg Russell until our name was called at the restaurant. The atmosphere and food ws great. I had the fried seafood platter and it was quite good. DH had the steak and the kids had hot dogs.

Tuesday-
More of the same beach/pool during the day. We liked the pool games at teh Beach Club pool during the day.....the highlight of the day was the Star Spangled Tuesday BBQ and Pool Party. This was a BBQ dinner at the resort (we had to make reservations for this event in advance) with ribs/hot dogs/burgers/chicken, etc. They passed out flag bandanas and bracelets and had a number of games (jello jigglers, ice cream drop, bean bag toss, etc). There was also a balloonist (B'Lou crabbe) and face painting. After the BBQ, there was night swimming with the slide open and lots of pool games.Also, the CM's led dancing to popular party songs (and HSM) on the pool deck. At 9pm exactly, everyone went up on the deck or on the marsh banks for fireworks. It was a very Disney 'Camp" experience.

Wednesday-

We did the nature walk at a local nature preserve. It as a 2 1/2 hour event with the naturalist and the only event that I didn't think was worth our while. It was very, very hot and most of the people on the walk (four families) were unprepared- no bottled water, etc. Most of the information was the same as what we were told on the marsh walk. We walked around Ibis pond, but the naturalist only pointed out a few ducks...maybe I'm biased because we have somany ducks at our summer house in the adirondack mountains, but we really didn't get a lot out of it and the naturalist didn't seem all that enthusiastic on this day.

We did the Salty Dog Cafe for lunch....this was fun, but I was pretty tired of fried food by then. It was fun to pick up tee-shirts and see more of Sea Pines.

Swimming/Beach in the afternoon and then back to the resort for fishing in the late afternoon. A CM led my dd5 and dh (and many other families) through an art activity about teh "Legend of Big Murgie" and then they went fishing off of the pier. My DD5 caught a shark...which shocked her (and DH). They had to go running to find a CM to help them to figure out to cut the line. It is the story she loves to tell...about the "shark that got away".

We tried to go to Aunt Chilada's for dinner...but the wait was an hour and we wanted to make it back in time for the camp fire (the resort was so much fun). After the camp fire, we ordered in greek food from "It's Greek to Me". Very good...lots of great dips and gyros...yum!

Thursday-
Hit the pool again...and then Beach House for activities. My dd5 made a pillow and then learned how to make/cook s'mores in a solar oven. A bit more beach and then back to resort to change and come back to the Beach club for the Low Country Shrimp Boil. This was a bit more low key than the BBQ. I'm not sure i would do it again..only becasue there weren't as many kids there. There was a "Kids Nite Out" scheduled for the same time which seriously reduced the number of kids at the shrimp boil. My kids were too young for "Kid Nite Out" and we wanted to spend time as a family anyway. They did have face painting and did a rythm band, but it was more for adults. They did a nice job with the meal...many options...great gumbo and lots of big shrimp. Also, they tables were set with each family's name on a bucket...just a bit more formal than the BBQ...but still very casual.

Friday-

This was supposed to be our departure day...but we extended the trip by paying cash for this extra night. We did a beach walk that morning whihc I was sort of on the fence about after our nature preserve walk. However, it turned out to be well worth it. Sandy was our CM who took us off-site to a beach where there was huge tide pool. She walked us along the tide-pool pointing out various animals and then around to creek...again giving us the history of the area...information about the natural life, etc. She was very kind to our two young girls and really seemed to be enjoying what she was doing. She helped the girls look for shark teeth and shells as well.

We had lunch at Tide Me Over and sent dd5 off to the UnBirthday Party. She loved this event and we loved having some time to chill with just dd2 by the pool. We swam until about 4:30 and then headed back to change in time for the magic show with B'lou Crabbe. My dd5 loved this so much she wanted to come back for the story telling later in teh evening. We opted to just order pizza in again so she could do this. The story telling was a bit over her head (and it was advertised for ages 10 and up) and there were "ghost" stories...but she seemed to enjoy being there. I'm not sure we would have stayed if she had been paying more attention because the content was really for older kids, but she was more into just hanging in the den watching B'Lou play his fiddle..and as I said, most of it just went over her head.

Saturday-
Check out day....we packed up and headed over to the Beach House for lunch /swimming. DD5 wanted to do the sand sculpture activity at 2pm ...so we stayed for this and hit the road afterwards. Sandy led this as well and many families turned out. We made a starfish...a small starfish as it was hard to get a 2 year old and a 5 year old organized on this kind of project. It was all about the process though, right?

We hit the road after this event....but we'll be back next year!!

Summary- We were so surprised at all of the great activities and the CM's who were so much like super friendly camp counselors. It was the perfect summer family experience....I call it "Camp Disney" adn can't recommend it enough!

Did you have any trouble extending one cash night? I would have thought that availability would have been a problem. We too are staying Sun-Thu nights, July 8-13 (checkout), and are wondering about an extra night.

Thank you for the lovely report.

I was mulling over going to HHI next summer. Although it might be too hot for us, and Upstate NY is so beautiful and hard to leave in the summer (not so much in the winter!)

We have a DD11 and DD5. Do you think there would be things for a tween to do?

Actually, we were surprised they had any rooms for us to extend our stay on that Friday night. However, when we called to ask for a late check-out, the CM said.."Sure, there isn't anyone coming into that room tonight". It was 230. with the DVC discount to stay the extra night. I believe the reason for availability on that Friday was because (according to Sandy, one CM) the big transition day is Saturday....so the next big crowd might have been coming in on Saturday for the 4th of July week. Indeed, the activity schedule is lighter on Saturdays since most folks are either packing up or just arriving and getting acclimated.

As for the tweeners- I actually think there is more to do for the tweener age range. We sort of looked for activities that we could do as a families (and there were lots of kids of all ages involved in these) and things that would include DD5 as she was a bit young for some things. There were many craft activities, treasure hunts, games, dancing lessons (High School Musical), and things like "Kids Nite Out" for this age-range. There also seemed to be a nice cadre of teen oriented things......

We have a family cottage in the Adirondacks...so the heat in the South was quite a different experience. It never really seemed to cool off the way it does in upstate NY. However, we did fine staying in the shade or in the pool/ocean most of the time. I did "shop" in the Mercantile Store to cool off a few times and ducked into the air-conditioned areas of teh Beach House.

We went to Savannah before arriving in HH and, while it was a very interesting city, this was a very, very hot two days of walking around. However, we knew this going into it....it is summer in the South.

We're planning on booking a Sunday to Saturday stay next year if we can get the reservation. This seemed like just the right amount of time for us. I suspect (and someone else can confirm) that many activities are repeated weekly....so one week seemed to work best for my family!

Thanks! I'm seriously considering going. Gotta look at how many points. We are addicted to the 2 bedrooms for just the four of us! I know, very extravagant. Our girls just can't sleep together! One is adult size now with sleeping issues and the other is still in the kicking stage.

Thank you for such a great trip report!! HHI has been on my "to-do" list for many years, but I never went because I was worried about the kids being bored. But your report will have me making reservations very soon!!!

I hate camping but my kids love it and ask to go camping all the time. Sounds like this may be the perfect way to go camping - I get my hotel room and the kids get their campfires and activities!!

Question for you: Can you make it without a car?

I think you really do need to have a car. I asked this question before we went. There were a few restaurants in walking distance (some that have been rated highly on these boards). However, we did use our car daily. We drove to the Beach House (but there is a shuttle) adn we also drove to places like Harbour Town, other restaurants, and to get ice cream. It is possible to have take-in pizza delivered and Disney did provide transportation for off-site activities (like the nature walks, etc). However, I think the ability to come and go as we pleased made our trip that much more pleasant.

Thank you for this trip report. We are going July 17th-July 20th. I love to read about HHI. This is our first trip. My kids will be 6 and 3 so your descriptions were great!

Great report. Very informative. We leave in four days and we are so excited!!!

Ahhh...another convert. And people who have never been ask me why we bought all of our points at HHI. I know there are more reasonable timeshares with beach front elsewhere on the island, but none with the ease of making ressies on property at WDW too. Great report and I'm glad you loved my home...it's Disney's Best Kept Secret Best Kept Secret!

Regards

What a great report... thanks for the time you put into this... Really glad you have found a great place to stay for your family.....

I kept thinking that Hilton Head would be somewhere for DH and I to go. I never knew how much stuff they had for kids. Now I can't wait to take the boys. We are planning to take next year off from Disney World, I think May would be perfect for us.

We were there last week too! We checked in on Monday 6/25 and checked out Monday 7/2. We were in room 1322 (even farther from the pool then you!) and I loved that location. We were able to watch the fireworks from our balcony and the parking garage was right there so we didn't have to walk very far to unpack/pack the car. We were also surprised at the number of activities to do, although we did not take advantage of as many as you did. We spent the majority of our time on the beach and in the beach house pool. We were at the barbeque the same night as you though! What a beautiful place. The kids loved it and can't decide if they want to go to WDW or HHI for our next vacation!

We were surprised at how "uncrowded" it was. There was never a problem finding a parking space at the beach house or finding a chair by the pool. The first couple of days our friends would go down to the pool (there were 3 families) early to secure 3 chairs for us for the day but by the end of the week we figured it wasn't worth it because of how many chairs were available all day long. It was GREAT! Not at all what I expected for the end of June/beginning of July.

I'm glad you had a good trip, I'm not ambitious enough to write an entire trip report like you did, but we loved it there too! :cloud9:

Can anyone scan and post (like in the Photos section) a recent HHI activities sheet/calendar? We'll be there 8/5-8/11

Thanks!

For those of you who were at HHI last week and went to the pool party on Tuesday night - my poor husband was the guy that was late for starting the YMCA song (think "police officer")! He was picked earlier that day by CM Rich who remembered us from last year. My husband is a police officer so Rich thought this would be fitting.

Great place, great week, would go back again today if I could! Returned to chilly fall weather in upstate NY - would you believe the 4th of July was rain and 65? Ugh!

Kathy

Summary- We were so surprised at all of the great activities and the CM's who were so much like super friendly camp counselors. It was the perfect summer family experience....I call it "Camp Disney" adn can't recommend it enough![/QUOTE]

:) Great trip report - thanks for sharing!

Shana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter