HHI LOVERS THREAD

Crabbing on the pier - can someone describe this? Is it free?

We go in June and I want to give my DD4 a taste of things like this, but I’m not a fisherman 🤣. This sounds like a fun activity but I need to figure out what I’m doing!
Sooo crabbing in June - yep we did that. I think it was $5 for the net which you keep and then $5 per bag of shrimp bait - that might be a little off but around that. We also had someone give us some raw chicken which worked well. And off they sent us - no instructions - no rules of whether we could keep them or not. I wasn’t planning to cook them so we were just going to do it for fun. So off we go and put the net in the water and catch crab pretty easy! Now what!!! So we know how to hold them but their pinchers would just hold onto the net so we couldn’t get them out and then we pushed them a little with the net flat on the pier - well they moved off the net and scurried off the pier - once you see the pier you will understand the problem. The best time to crab is when the tide is going out- so the little crabbies leapt to their deaths as they landed on the shells and rocks below instead of water - we should have just cooked them! So bring a pair of tongs which are helpful and then you can successfully toss them back into the water! But it was super fun!

I am hoping on taking my extended family to HHI next Sept (getting close to my 7 month booking window). I have a couple of questions about the accommodations that I see conflicting videos online and the room layouts and description on the DVC site aren't clear/detailed about.
1. In 2BR (dedicated) does the second bedroom have 2 queen beds or a queen bed and a sofa? Most info points to 2 beds, but some of the more recent videos (after the most recent refurb) show and state otherwise. They state all second bedrooms have a bed and a couch. The DVC site states 2 Queen beds and the layout shows 2 queen beds.
2. Again on the dedicated 2BR, does the main/master bath have a shower in the "bathroom" in addition to a tub in the "sink area"? All the videos seem to show that, but the layout on the DVC site shows that area as a closet, not a shower in the unit.
3. It appears in 1BR, 2 BR, and GV the tub in the master bath area has been changed from a garden/jet tub to a free standing soaking tub. Is that correct?

This relates to another bakery (Signe's) but you HH Social Bakery fans might want to take note. Every year it's a tradition for DH to order Valentine's Cookies for me from Signe's so I get my little taste of Hilton Head at Thanksgiving. Might be something to consider at Birthdays, Easter, special occasions, etc. Or maybe something unique to the resort at the Mercantile.

I am hoping on taking my extended family to HHI next Sept (getting close to my 7 month booking window). I have a couple of questions about the accommodations that I see conflicting videos online and the room layouts and description on the DVC site aren't clear/detailed about.
1. In 2BR (dedicated) does the second bedroom have 2 queen beds or a queen bed and a sofa? Most info points to 2 beds, but some of the more recent videos (after the most recent refurb) show and state otherwise. They state all second bedrooms have a bed and a couch. The DVC site states 2 Queen beds and the layout shows 2 queen beds.
2. Again on the dedicated 2BR, does the main/master bath have a shower in the "bathroom" in addition to a tub in the "sink area"? All the videos seem to show that, but the layout on the DVC site shows that area as a closet, not a shower in the unit.
3. It appears in 1BR, 2 BR, and GV the tub in the master bath area has been changed from a garden/jet tub to a free standing soaking tub. Is that correct?

We stayed at HHI for the first time in Sept in a dedicated 2BR. The second BR had two queen beds - no sofa. The master bath was made up of two rooms. One had a double vanity and large whirlpool tub. The other had the toilet, a small sink and a small shower.

Last edited:
Pens Fan gave correct information. When you book a 2-BR at HHI, you will get a dedicated. There are very few lock-off 2-BRs (21 to be exact), and they are used as studios and 1-BRs. The dedicated 2-BRs have two queens in the 2nd bedroom.

I just looked at what you were talking about with the "closet" in the bathroom on the DVC site. You are right; it looks like a closet. But it's actually a shower.

The master has a whirlpool, not a soaking tub.

Going in mid September. Other than possibility of a hurricane, what can we expect as far as restaurants, golf and general things to do
Thanks

Well, we bit the bullet. After our trip last Sept, I've been stalking the resale sites and we finally found the perfect HHI contract with our same Sept use year. We made an offer, it was accepted and was sent for ROFR today.

We are so excited! I know there is a chance Disney might take it back in ROFR, but hopefully we will be owners by the fall. The seller can't close until Oct, but that's ok with us. We are looking forward to many years of vacations at HHI and having that 11 month widow for greater flexibility. I honestly didn't expect to be doing this prior to that trip in Sept. This resort is just so special. It sucked us in, for sure :goodvibes .

Going in mid September. Other than possibility of a hurricane, what can we expect as far as restaurants, golf and general things to do
Thanks

We were there in late Sept 2020 and everything seemed open to us. It was our first trip to HHI, so I'm no expert, but considering we were there in the middle of Covid bizarro world we were pleasantly surprised at what was available. The guys chartered a fishing boat one day and we had no problem finding many, many good restaurants to choose from. We saw quite a few sightseeing boats leaving from Shelter Cove.

Nothing seemed too crowded, though we did have several people tell us that particular Sept was more crowded than usual due to people pushing their summer trips to the fall because of Covid. If that was a busy September I can't wait to see a "normal" one. We thought it was a great time to visit.

Welcome to the HH family! We've owned there since the beginning and love it. September is great at HHI because (in a normal year) families have gone back to school but the weather is still warm. You do have to be on hurricane watch.

Another new HH owner here! We passed ROFR last week and now we wait to close. How difficult is it to get a grand villa at the 11-month mark?
Welcome!

Although I will never book a GV with my little 50-pt contract, I will tell you that the resort has only (5) GV's available so the difficulty will depend on the time of year. Summer (June-Aug), spring break, and Thanksgiving will probably be the most difficult times.

purchasing a 50 pt contract at hhi on resale for 75/pt from dvc store.
what do i need to know before our first trip this summer to dvc hhi?

purchasing a 50 pt contract at hhi on resale for 75/pt from dvc store.
what do i need to know before our first trip this summer to dvc hhi?
Congratulations on your purchase!
Do you already have the contract and made reservations? If not, I don't think you will get anything this summer. Everything is pretty much booked solid. That usually happens at 7 months out.

We have a cash reservation for 2 bedroom villa on mothers day and fathers day.
we plan on using points if available this year or if not plan for next summer with points

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter