HHI LOVERS THREAD

Re thinking our July trip. Concerned about lack of masks in grocery stores, restaurants on the island. Since Mayor Demings , Orange County enacted Executive Order of mandatory mask wearing in all public places, from what we have seen, compliance is significantly increased. Really wish he had enacted this a few weeks ago, perhaps cases and hospitalizations wouldn't be increasing as it has. If anyone is currently at HHI Disney, about what percent occupancy would you say resort is now?
Much thanks in advance! :)

I would assume occupancy is at 100% Disney has not cancelled reservations and it's been booked for the summer for months.

HHI Town Council will consider an ordinance requiring face coverings on Monday.

6364b7b95e61a50606f789ae01ede28d.png.76x76.png

Local Agency
Town of Hilton Head IslandWebsite Administrator Rene Phillips12 hr ago
124c33f534314defa359aaf6cafc4ccd.svg

Hilton Head Island Town Council to Consider Ordinance Requiring Face Coverings. Hilton Head Island Mayor John McCann has called a special Town Council meeting for 8:30 am Monday, June 29, to consider an ordinance requiring that face masks or face coverings be worn in certain areas on the Island. "I have been encouraged by Town Council members to pursue a law mandating that face masks be worn. I believe it will help ease fears among the residents of our community about contracting the coronavirus and how it's being spread and I fully anticipate the Town Council adopting something along these lines," McCann said. McCann said several municipalities across the state and country have adopted ordinances regulating the wearing of face masks. "With the legal opinion from the state’s Attorney General's office, I feel it’s crucial for Town Council to discuss this type of ordinance to protect our residents and help stop the spread of the virus." The public may view the meeting on the Town's main Facebook page (www.facebook.com/TownofHiltonHeadIslandSC), the Public Meeting Facebook page (www.facebook.com/TownofHiltonHeadIslandMeetings) and the Town’s website (www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov).

Several recently reopened restaurants have closed due to positive COVID-19 tests on their staff. One, reportedly without any positive tests, closed June 20 for 6 weeks - to give staff a "well-deserved break". Many restaurants have staff with positive tests but enough staff available to stay open. Two already mentioned above were among the few where all staff does wear masks. The largest restaurant group has changed its 'no mask' policy so that they now have one server wearing a mask if requested by guests.

6364b7b95e61a50606f789ae01ede28d.png.76x76.png

Local Agency
Town of Hilton Head IslandWebsite Administrator Rene Phillips12 hr ago
124c33f534314defa359aaf6cafc4ccd.svg

Hilton Head Island Town Council to Consider Ordinance Requiring Face Coverings. Hilton Head Island Mayor John McCann has called a special Town Council meeting for 8:30 am Monday, June 29, to consider an ordinance requiring that face masks or face coverings be worn in certain areas on the Island. "I have been encouraged by Town Council members to pursue a law mandating that face masks be worn. I believe it will help ease fears among the residents of our community about contracting the coronavirus and how it's being spread and I fully anticipate the Town Council adopting something along these lines," McCann said. McCann said several municipalities across the state and country have adopted ordinances regulating the wearing of face masks. "With the legal opinion from the state’s Attorney General's office, I feel it’s crucial for Town Council to discuss this type of ordinance to protect our residents and help stop the spread of the virus." The public may view the meeting on the Town's main Facebook page (www.facebook.com/TownofHiltonHeadIslandSC), the Public Meeting Facebook page (www.facebook.com/TownofHiltonHeadIslandMeetings) and the Town’s website (www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov).

Several recently reopened restaurants have closed due to positive COVID-19 tests on their staff. One, reportedly without any positive tests, closed June 20 for 6 weeks - to give staff a "well-deserved break". Many restaurants have staff with positive tests but enough staff available to stay open. Two already mentioned above were among the few where all staff does wear masks. The largest restaurant group has changed its 'no mask' policy so that they now have one server wearing a mask if requested by guests.
Thanks @WebmasterDoc. We will be at DVC HH on July 5th. Good to hear about the movement on masks. We decided no parks this year because of Covid.
Like so many people we are looking forward to a change in our surroundings the beach and the beautiful island. We are from the Poconos and in Pa. masks and gradual reopenings have been helpful here.
It sounds as though we may do more take out this visit. Our college ds is asthmatic, so we will enjoy the beach and our resort and may be some fishing for good measure. Please everyone be well .

Only ONE server wearing a mask? Horrible!
Please keep us posted on the outcome of the possible ordinance.

Only ONE server wearing a mask? Horrible!
Please keep us posted on the outcome of the possible ordinance.
... and you still have to make a request for a masked server.

I just received word that two national chain restaurants on the island have now closed for good - Carrabas and Bonefish - both were a short drive to the DVC Resort.

Currently on hiatus are Mixx on Main, Main Street Cafe (both on the north end), Tio's (at Shelter Cove area), One Hot Mama's (Sea Pines circle).

There are still PLENTY of great dining options open on the island.

Right across from the resort, open are:
Scott's Fishmarket
Bucci's and Murray's Pub
Bistro 17
ELA's on the Water
San Miguel's
Hilton Head Social Bakery
Other Sister's Wine Bar

At nearby Shelter Cove Towne Center:
Jane Bistro & Bar
Kilwin's
Poseidon
World of Beer
The French Bakery
Wayback Burgers
New York City Pizza

Nearby (short drive):
Alexander's
Sea Grass Grille
Southwest Grill
Alfred's

This is by NO means a complete listing of dining on the island, but does cover those within walking distance or a short drive away.

Hudson's (North End) is open and staff is wearing masks
Old Fort Pub (North End) is open
Redfish (South of DVC Resort)
Stellini's (South end)
... and many more
All SERG restaurants are open (except One Hot Mama's) - Boathouse, Skull Creek, Frankie Bones, Wise Guys, Giuseppi's Pizza, Dockside, Mello Mushroom, etc. (Masked servers on request only)

Stay tuned! :)

Update on the possible mask ordinance:

After a week of scrutiny for moving slowly on a mask requirement, the Hilton Head Island Town Council on Monday will discuss requiring masks to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

But the requirement wouldn’t cover everyone.

The proposed ordinance would make face masks mandatory for customers in grocery stores and pharmacies, but no other establishments such as restaurants and bars.

It takes a stronger stance on island employees, though.

The ordinance would require employees of restaurants, bars, retail stores, salons, grocery stores and pharmacies to wear face masks at all times they are in the same place as the public or near another employee.

If the ordinance passes on Monday, any person who violates the face mask rule would be guilty of a misdemeanor, according to the ordinance. A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $500 or 30 days in jail, according to the town code.

https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/boards/agendas/2020packets/tc-6-29-2020-pack.pdf
Bluffton, the community everyone travels through immediately before getting to the HH Bridges, is considering a similar ordinance as that area has been the source for the highest number of positive cases in the county.

Thanks for the updates, Doc. We have a serious interest going forward about the virus in Bluffton/HHI area.

Update on the possible mask ordinance:

After a week of scrutiny for moving slowly on a mask requirement, the Hilton Head Island Town Council on Monday will discuss requiring masks to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

But the requirement wouldn’t cover everyone.

The proposed ordinance would make face masks mandatory for customers in grocery stores and pharmacies, but no other establishments such as restaurants and bars.

It takes a stronger stance on island employees, though.

The ordinance would require employees of restaurants, bars, retail stores, salons, grocery stores and pharmacies to wear face masks at all times they are in the same place as the public or near another employee.

If the ordinance passes on Monday, any person who violates the face mask rule would be guilty of a misdemeanor, according to the ordinance. A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $500 or 30 days in jail, according to the town code.

https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/boards/agendas/2020packets/tc-6-29-2020-pack.pdf
Bluffton, the community everyone travels through immediately before getting to the HH Bridges, is considering a similar ordinance as that area has been the source for the highest number of positive cases in the county.
I read the ordinance and I must admit that I kind of laughed at #4, that people who couldn’t wear masks are exempt from the ordinance. I’m not laughing about people who have legitimate problems, but the way it’s written, it sounds as if anyone who gets stopped not wearing a mask just says “I’m exempt-I can’t wear one.” It doesn’t say anything about any proof required

I'm also unclear how this will be enforced (including #4), as the town has no police force and the County Sheriff, who does have a facility on the island near the DVC Resort, only acts on state laws and ordinances issued by the Governor.

Today, the Governor stated that even though a number of cities and towns have issued ordinances requiring the wearing of facial coverings, they are "ineffective and impractical". He stated he will not create a statewide mask mandate just minutes after the state’s public health agency announced they identified nearly 1,300 coronavirus cases.

Though the governor said there is “no problem” with cities like Columbia and Charleston passing their own regulations mandating residents wear masks while in public, McMaster said that creating a statewide rule would be “virtually impossible.”

"It would be too difficult to enforce a statewide mandate", McMaster said. He added that municipalities that passed their own regulations will likely have their own issues with enforcement.

IMO, the town ordinance is a step in the right direction and requiring all businesses to require their employees to wear masks (including restaurants) will appease many local residents but allowing shoppers to wander through stores without any barrier is just continuing to invite problems. At least shoppers at grocery stores and pharmacies are now included.

Movie Theaters have not re-opened on Hilton Head and are among the last businesses still not allowed to reopen per the Governor's orders.

I read the ordinance and I must admit that I kind of laughed at #4, that people who couldn’t wear masks are exempt from the ordinance. I’m not laughing about people who have legitimate problems, but the way it’s written, it sounds as if anyone who gets stopped not wearing a mask just says “I’m exempt-I can’t wear one.” It doesn’t say anything about any proof required
HIPAA is a good thing overall, but it also implies the mandate that one can't be forced to show proof of a medical issue. In a short circuit of the system here in southwest VA, shops have printed brief flyers that essentially say, "if you have a medical condition and can't wear a mask, feel free not to wear one as we can't ask you for proof, so you are within your rights to abstain." In short, they are telling their patrons don't worry if you don't wear a mask--just say you can't and we don't care.

... and you still have to make a request for a masked server.

I just received word that two national chain restaurants on the island have now closed for good - Carrabas and Bonefish - both were a short drive to the DVC Resort.

Currently on hiatus are Mixx on Main, Main Street Cafe (both on the north end), Tio's (at Shelter Cove area), One Hot Mama's (Sea Pines circle).

There are still PLENTY of great dining options open on the island.

Right across from the resort, open are:
Scott's Fishmarket
Bucci's and Murray's Pub
Bistro 17
ELA's on the Water
San Miguel's
Hilton Head Social Bakery
Other Sister's Wine Bar

At nearby Shelter Cove Towne Center:
Jane Bistro & Bar
Kilwin's
Poseidon
World of Beer
The French Bakery
Wayback Burgers
New York City Pizza

Nearby (short drive):
Alexander's
Sea Grass Grille
Southwest Grill
Alfred's

This is by NO means a complete listing of dining on the island, but does cover those within walking distance or a short drive away.

Hudson's (North End) is open and staff is wearing masks
Old Fort Pub (North End) is open
Redfish (South of DVC Resort)
Stellini's (South end)
... and many more
All SERG restaurants are open (except One Hot Mama's) - Boathouse, Skull Creek, Frankie Bones, Wise Guys, Giuseppi's Pizza, Dockside, Mello Mushroom, etc. (Masked servers on request only)

Stay tuned! :)

So I am at the DVCresort right now for one night. And I just walked through shelter Cove earlier this evening picking out a place to eat. I wound up at Scott’s. The servers wore mask and ieverything was outside seemed fairly safe. San miguels is a mosh pit. They were literally six people deep at the bar. Do not go there if you have any hope of trying to avoid catching Covid because A MoshPit is not exactly your best bet. Bucci was closed

As for the SERG restaurants,! I plan not to visit any of them while I’m here. They made it very clear that protecting guests and their staff is not something that they are really interested in doing, which makes me wonder if there any other safety or health concerns they’re just hiding in the back office because they don’t care about their customers.

This list is of restaurants that are open, it may not be restaurants you are comfortable going to. A lot of them on this list from my research are not places I will be eating. You need to do research and then make a decision when you get here. And walk away from places that are living in fantasyland. As we all know fantasyland only exists in the Magic Kingdom and it’s not open yet

Last edited:
@OrangeCountyCommuter You're exactly right about San Miguel's--mosh pit is a perfect description. After staying at DHHIR for four nights, we spent two in Shelter Cove at Harbourside. We must have walked by San Miguel's five or six times, and it was always packed with no masks on anyone. We did notice the masks on all servers at Scott's, though we felt a number of tables were too close to their neighbors. The only Serg restaurant we visited was Black Marlin for a late lunch, and it was uncrowded, tables were well-spaced, and they asked if we wished to have a masked server (we did). Mostly, we cooked in our room and did one take out.

In short, anyone visiting should be aware that numbers are spiking and to take their precautions seriously.

The Hilton Head Island Town Council passed an updated version of an ordinance requiring the wearing of face masks in all businesses.

The pre-vote draft of the ordinance required customers to wear face masks only in grocery stores and pharmacies. The Mayor invited public comment on the proposed ordinance over the week-end.

The updated ordinance which was passed by the Town Council this morning makes face masks mandatory for customers in all commercial spaces, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, retail stores, and bars.

The ordinance also requires employees in all commercial spaces to wear a face mask at all times when they are in the same place as the public or near another employee.

Any person who violates the face mask rule would be guilty of a misdemeanor, according to the ordinance. A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $500 or 30 days in jail, according to the town code.

The Hilton Head Island Town Council passed an updated version of an ordinance requiring the wearing of face masks in all businesses.

The pre-vote draft of the ordinance required customers to wear face masks only in grocery stores and pharmacies. The Mayor invited public comment on the proposed ordinance over the week-end.

The updated ordinance which was passed by the Town Council this morning makes face masks mandatory for customers in all commercial spaces, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, retail stores, and bars.

The ordinance also requires employees in all commercial spaces to wear a face mask at all times when they are in the same place as the public or near another employee.

Any person who violates the face mask rule would be guilty of a misdemeanor, according to the ordinance. A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $500 or 30 days in jail, according to the town code.
Thanks for the update Doc makes feel better with our arrival this weekend. So looking forward to being back at the villas. Be well.

Yes, thanks very much for the update and what I consider the good news.
Does this ordinance have an expiration date or is it "until further notice"?

We were there the day the resort opened. The first couple of days, hardly anyone wasn't wearing a mask around the property except in the pool which is exempt. By days three and four, we saw several adults and many children walking around the grounds without them. There were still more who did than didn't, but it was disturbing to see guest already flouting the rules. . .rules not suggestions. Management CMs would ask people to put them on when they saw the non-mask wearers, but they can't be everywhere. And we saw two young men (20s) walking along the boardwalk, and a manager kindly asked them to put on a mask. They did. . .until the manager walked off and one of them took off his mask and continued on his way. Short of upsetting guest with constant nagging, I don't see how Disney can do much more. Still, relying on people to do the right thing, be polite, and obey the rules clearly isn't going to work, either.
Actually, the rules say that you do not have to wear masks around the grounds, just in community buildings.

No problem. We just won’t go in any businesses. Buy our groceries before we get to Hilton head. And we are only staying a few days just to see the area, so no big deal. The rest of of our trip is in Florida, which is sane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter