HHI LOVERS THREAD

Yes, thanks very much for the update and what I consider the good news.
Does this ordinance have an expiration date or is it "until further notice"?
The Hilton Head ordinance will remain in effect for 60 days. The one passed in nearby Beaufort will end on July 31. Bluffton will vote on an ordinance this week (tomorrow?).

The "good news" here (if we have to look for good news within a negative issue) is that the number of COVID-19 deaths (3) on HH have not increased in several weeks and stats recently released indicate that the average age group of the increase in positive tests has been 20 - 40 years of age - and that was a consideration of the ordinance and vote.

One third of the full time residents on Hilton Head are over 65 years of age and that age group certainly contributed to the public comments last weekend suggesting that limiting customer participation in the requirement to just grocery stores and pharmacies was not enough - resulting in the modification of the ordinance to require wearing masks in ALL businesses - for both employees and customers.

Just finishing up our annual July 4th visit. Since we debated long and hard about taking this trip and really appreciated the postings before we pulled the trigger, thought we would share our observations. Arrived Sunday, June 28th late afternoon. Check-in normal, extra precaution procedures - only one person of your party to check-in. Masks 'required' for check-in and moving around resort, but not strictly enforced or observed. Most guests seem to mindful of social distancing and mask wearing. Limited activities, no movies, no FIREWORKS :( through July 6th (Town of HHI may extend this date).

A lot more cooking and grilling out by everyone. We brought our own groceries and supplemented at Whole Foods which was enforcing mask wearing policy (other chains including Harris Teeter were not). In general, outside the Disney bubble, mask compliance last Sunday was maybe 50/50. Later this week, with the continued record increases in SC COVID cases, mask compliance now may reach 60/40 or 70/30 depending on venue. One place mask compliance is about zero is within Shelter Cove Harbour Shops & Restaurants. With the exception of Ela's restaurant, the remainder of bars and restaurants are following NO mask restrictions for patrons (except for a couple staff). Jam packed at the bar with all ages and dining tables placed together. Wouldn't recommend going if you are concerned about exposure.

Resort operations continue with some limitations. Campfires, movies, and tours are not being offered All pools are open but important to note, Signals is only open Friday thru Sunday so you need to bring your own refreshments The shuttle service is operational, but only has social distancing capacity of four persons. Uncertain if there is a larger group of one family unit, whether they are all allowed to board.

As always the staff is wonderful and upbeat. Glad we came, but can't say that beyond Disney, HHI as a whole is a model of COVID prevention best practices, but YMMV. Happy July 4th!!

Just finishing up our annual July 4th visit. Since we debated long and hard about taking this trip and really appreciated the postings before we pulled the trigger, thought we would share our observations. Arrived Sunday, June 28th late afternoon. Check-in normal, extra precaution procedures - only one person of your party to check-in. Masks 'required' for check-in and moving around resort, but not strictly enforced or observed. Most guests seem to mindful of social distancing and mask wearing. Limited activities, no movies, no FIREWORKS :( through July 6th (Town of HHI may extend this date).

A lot more cooking and grilling out by everyone. We brought our own groceries and supplemented at Whole Foods which was enforcing mask wearing policy (other chains including Harris Teeter were not). In general, outside the Disney bubble, mask compliance last Sunday was maybe 50/50. Later this week, with the continued record increases in SC COVID cases, mask compliance now may reach 60/40 or 70/30 depending on venue. One place mask compliance is about zero is within Shelter Cove Harbour Shops & Restaurants. With the exception of Ela's restaurant, the remainder of bars and restaurants are following NO mask restrictions for patrons (except for a couple staff). Jam packed at the bar with all ages and dining tables placed together. Wouldn't recommend going if you are concerned about exposure.

Resort operations continue with some limitations. Campfires, movies, and tours are not being offered All pools are open but important to note, Signals is only open Friday thru Sunday so you need to bring your own refreshments The shuttle service is operational, but only has social distancing capacity of four persons. Uncertain if there is a larger group of one family unit, whether they are all allowed to board.

As always the staff is wonderful and upbeat. Glad we came, but can't say that beyond Disney, HHI as a whole is a model of COVID prevention best practices, but YMMV. Happy July 4th!!
Thanks of the update. We were there the first day DHHIR opened and stayed for five days. Most everything you mention above was true then, as well, only there was much less mask wearing offsite than what you found, likely due to (as you say) the spike in SC virus cases. And, much as you report, Shelter Cove was largely mask-less, especially San Miguel's where we saw patrons stacked at the bar, at tables, and just standing around in close proximity to others. The tables at Scott's were too close for comfort as people were almost shoulder-to-shoulder in some instances. I will add that the servers at Scott's ALL wore masks, though I don't know if that's still the case.

In addition to Whole Foods, Fresh Market was also enforcing the mask wearing policy. None of the others we visited did though, again, all the employees seem to be wearing them. Finally, we totally agree about Disney guests not all complying even though it's specifically mentioned at check-in and throughout the resort. The first day, mask wearing was nearly 100% as we walked the grounds, shopped at the Mercantile, ordered food. By day five, my best guess is that mask observance around the resort (not including the pool where it's not required) was at best 70-30. We even saw someone be politely asked by a manager CM to put on a mask which the patron did. . .until the manager disappeared around the corner. The mask came off immediately. If you visit HHI--off or on site--just be prepared for a certain laziness about people using masks.

...Signals is only open Friday thru Sunday...
I find this very puzzling. Tide Me Over is open every day, but Signals is only open three days a week? Are they expecting fewer people to be at the beach house (possibly due to enforced capacity limits), and therefore fewer patrons for Signals? Anyone have any insight or theories?

Thanks of the update. We were there the first day DHHIR opened and stayed for five days. Most everything you mention above was true then, as well, only there was much less mask wearing offsite than what you found, likely due to (as you say) the spike in SC virus cases. And, much as you report, Shelter Cove was largely mask-less, especially San Miguel's where we saw patrons stacked at the bar, at tables, and just standing around in close proximity to others. The tables at Scott's were too close for comfort as people were almost shoulder-to-shoulder in some instances. I will add that the servers at Scott's ALL wore masks, though I don't know if that's still the case.

In addition to Whole Foods, Fresh Market was also enforcing the mask wearing policy. None of the others we visited did though, again, all the employees seem to be wearing them. Finally, we totally agree about Disney guests not all complying even though it's specifically mentioned at check-in and throughout the resort. The first day, mask wearing was nearly 100% as we walked the grounds, shopped at the Mercantile, ordered food. By day five, my best guess is that mask observance around the resort (not including the pool where it's not required) was at best 70-30. We even saw someone be politely asked by a manager CM to put on a mask which the patron did. . .until the manager disappeared around the corner. The mask came off immediately. If you visit HHI--off or on site--just be prepared for a certain laziness about people using masks.
You didn’t mention employees at Kriogers? Am I to assume that employees at Kruger’s are not mandated to wear masks? It was reported a few days ago that There are about 10 Publix stores in Central Florida, at least 5 or 6 on list were Orange County, where there were reported cases of employees who tested positive for Covid. Thankfully, Publix as well as Walmart employees in Orange County have been wearing masks for quite awhile now! Can’t imagine why on earth would a grocery store or restaurant in HHI not mandate employees and servers and bartenders to be masked??? There is no good reason, they are serving the public in a pandemic!

We arrived at Hilton Head today. Per the cm at front desk resort will be full
The bar at the beach house will be open for drinks and some snacks during the week. Signals for the time being will only be open Fri.,Sat., and Sunday.
Just an fyi The Big Dipper Pool at the resort was closed due to capacity when we arrived at 2:30 this afternoon.
Masks are required at the resort except at the pool, and per the cm there is now a $500. on the island if you are not wearing one. There are message boards along the roadside to wear masks. We were at Krogers and everyone staff and public were wearing one. So that is a big improvement.

You didn’t mention employees at Kriogers? Am I to assume that employees at Kruger’s are not mandated to wear masks? It was reported a few days ago that There are about 10 Publix stores in Central Florida, at least 5 or 6 on list were Orange County, where there were reported cases of employees who tested positive for Covid. Thankfully, Publix as well as Walmart employees in Orange County have been wearing masks for quite awhile now! Can’t imagine why on earth would a grocery store or restaurant in HHI not mandate employees and servers and bartenders to be masked??? There is no good reason, they are serving the public in a pandemic!
When we were there that first opening week for DHHIR, all Kroger employees were wearing masks; however, there was no mandate by the store to require customers to wear one--at best, I'd day the patrons in Kroger's that week were 50-50 wearing them. Obviously, things seem to have changed the past two weeks.

We arrived at Hilton Head today. Per the cm at front desk resort will be full
The bar at the beach house will be open for drinks and some snacks during the week. Signals for the time being will only be open Fri.,Sat., and Sunday.
Just an fyi The Big Dipper Pool at the resort was closed due to capacity when we arrived at 2:30 this afternoon.
Masks are required at the resort except at the pool, and per the cm there is now a $500. on the island if you are not wearing one. There are message boards along the roadside to wear masks. We were at Krogers and everyone staff and public were wearing one. So that is a big improvement.

Thats sounds like a huge improvement. We were in HH June 22nd-27th and Id say I saw 10% of the population wearing masks. Sometimes I had to strain to find some one with one at all. We stayed at Hilton Grand Vacation Ocean Oaks and while all of the staff wore masks and COVID practices were in places, you were lucky to see a single couple in a day with masks on.

When we were there that first opening week for DHHIR, all Kroger employees were wearing masks; however, there was no mandate by the store to require customers to wear one--at best, I'd day the patrons in Kroger's that week were 50-50 wearing them. Obviously, things seem to have changed the past two weeks.
Certainly hoping!

On Tuesday, June 30 at 11:59PM, a HH ordinance went into affect where employees in ALL businesses MUST wear masks when in are areas near customers and other employees. Customers are also required to wear masks in all businesses (but not while eating/drinking). Compliance seems to have been high these last five days.

The county Sheriff has agreed to enforce this ordinance.

Quite a few restaurants are temporarily closed and at least two have closed permanently (Carrabas and Bonefish).

Thank you for the update that is good news! Hopefully, masking will slow the spread!

Last edited:
I find this very puzzling. Tide Me Over is open every day, but Signals is only open three days a week? Are they expecting fewer people to be at the beach house (possibly due to enforced capacity limits), and therefore fewer patrons for Signals? Anyone have any insight or theories?

No insight or theories, but I share big time in your puzzlement. We go to DHHIR in November, when on many days it's too cool for much of anyone to be at the beach house, except a few people walking the beach. Yet Signal's is open every day. Granted it's usually only open from 11:00-3:00 (too cool before or afterwards, and remember it's getting dark by 5:00-5:30). I certainly wouldn't like it open only 3 days.

We were there opening day for five days, and now we're headed back for two nights this weekend. Obviously, some folks are canceling (understandable), but we needed to come down to look at a couple of houses and had booked a hotel room--so this works well for us. We always mask up, and we'll be bringing food to cook in the room, so little need to interact except on campus and looking at houses. A little more Disney is not a bad thing. . .

7/5 - 7/8 Stay in 2BDRM - 2812. We have been staying at HH DVC since 1999. It is our home resort. These are my/our thoughts and people's opinions can be different without it being the end of the free world as we know it. We live in Greenville, SC. Our family is mixed over the virus, masks, etc. There were 4 of us on this trip -- wife, husband and 2 of our 3 sons (17 and 20). Our 22 year old son (former Clemson student w/3 roommates; 2 of whom had the virus - with no impacts) now works and did not accompany us. He has been one of two of our family who think that the virus is the end of the world, beyond dangerous, etc. He stayed in the apartment working from home, social distancing, quarantining until he returned to work.

We drive down early in the morning (4 hour drive) and arrived a little before 10:00am. I checked us in, wearing a mask for the first time, getting our keys. Again, these are my/our opinions/impressions of Disney and our visit, etc. Over time we have found Disney to be something that we tolerate. Our kids have enjoyed over 40 to 50 extended trips (depending on the age of the child) to various Disney resorts (some non-DVC but more DVC than not). We have stayed at all but the Poly and Copper River DVCs in Orlando. Old Key West and Saratoga are our favorites. We have been to HH DVC around 18 or so times and Vero Beach 3 times. We had a Vero Beach spring break trip and an early June Hilton Head trip cancelled due the closings. Stumbled on this reservation by accident. Our other stays were in an Inn room for the 3 of us at Vero and a 1BDRM for the 4 of us at HH. Do not really need a 2BDRM at HH but lucky to get anything at this point. Many will be losing lots of points. We now have booked HH for October so we will be clean on points. Got a little off topic there but the main point is that we have seen Disney for what it is for us and that is a giant money sucking machine. DVC has allowed us to enjoy nice stays (all of our points were resale purchases) but we have not been star struck by Disney for a very long time.

So when I checked in on Sunday the exuberance of the clerk was a tad much when so much of the resort was basically unavailable......at least the several of the things that our sons enjoy. Our room was not ready (as expected) so we headed to the beach house after getting our vehicle pass. July 4th weekend can be a tough parking spot find down there with others allowed to park in the lot that Disney does not exclusive use over. The time of day helped and we got a spot on the surface lot. We asked about moving 1 chair to a 3 chair grouping (Disney is using the word pod) and was told no due to social distancing in place so we took (2) 3 chair groupings for the 4 of us. Their rules but we wasted 4 chairs and the social distancing would have worked just fine where these chairs were placed. Just relaxed by the pool. The beach on the 4th is a mess so we did not even bother with our umbrella or beach chairs. We did grab lunch here for the 4 of us (lucky for us it was the weekend) using some old discounted (from Sam's Club) Disney gift cards that our youngest had taken on a school trip to Disney several years back. The food prices here are terrible and we rarely buy food from here but we had the cards and the timing worked. Wife ordered the food and it was brought to us in a large paper bag for social distancing purposes.

We got the text that the room was ready around 1:30pm so we headed up and put our stuff in the room and headed to the resort pool. Had no issue finding chairs but we did have to use 3 chairs over behind the water slide and 2 chairs about 20 feet from the kiddie pool. We did later move to a group of four chairs when others left. Not wanting to make this a trip report so I will ease up and give our impressions of what we encountered. Our room did over look the pool (not our favorite - the first time that had happened since our first stay in '99) but it by the non-smoking gate on the water side so it was convenient for this trip since we never really anything much else at the resort except for the pool.

The weather forecast was miserable for us after Sunday but wound up being a B- considering the forecast. Our sons could not play basketball, shoot pool, play corn hole or shuffle board. They did walk to the Lodge (even though I told them not a chance) to see if there any cookies one night. We total understand social distancing and wearing a mask inside (it is the "law" per the government. But even my wife who is so wary of the virus agrees that wearing a mask while walking to and from the car and around the property was just a punitive measure on Disney's part. That is why the boys could not shoot basketball, no way that they were going to do so without a mask.

We shopped at Krogers on Sunday night but we had most of our snacks. We did pick up ice and chocolate milk for making ice cream. We did that for the first time at a Disney resort and it was a great idea. We dined inside at Wayback Burger on Sunday night. Dined at Fish Camp (had a reservation that was made in advance) on Monday night. Had a late lunch at Fiesta Fresh on Tuesday due to a storm that came in around 4:00PM. We had a pizza from Guiseppi's at the pool on Wednesday on our check out day.

We felt like the trip was lessened by the restrictions in place due to the virus. We had points that we needed to use so we were lucky to do so. We did not return to the beach house because the chance of rain was so great that we did not want to deal with the beach set-up.

A couple of things that I do not understand is not having Signals open every day at the beach house (it is the height of summer). Also, the bar was not open there when we at the beach house on Sunday........why? Also, with so little to to.......why did the pools not open at 8:00am as they always have in the past. The resort pool opened at 9:00am and the beach pool did not open until 10:00am. Makes zero sense.

We understand the tragedy that this virus has caused so many families. We were glad to be able to visit the resort but for us this was the usual great Hilton Head DVC trip that we have based on how we navigate all things Disney. This trip was a low C- but it was better than no trip at all due to the points that would have just been lost.

7/5 - 7/8 Stay in 2BDRM - 2812. We have been staying at HH DVC since 1999. It is our home resort. These are my/our thoughts and people's opinions can be different without it being the end of the free world as we know it. We live in Greenville, SC. Our family is mixed over the virus, masks, etc. There were 4 of us on this trip -- wife, husband and 2 of our 3 sons (17 and 20). Our 22 year old son (former Clemson student w/3 roommates; 2 of whom had the virus - with no impacts) now works and did not accompany us. He has been one of two of our family who think that the virus is the end of the world, beyond dangerous, etc. He stayed in the apartment working from home, social distancing, quarantining until he returned to work.

We drive down early in the morning (4 hour drive) and arrived a little before 10:00am. I checked us in, wearing a mask for the first time, getting our keys. Again, these are my/our opinions/impressions of Disney and our visit, etc. Over time we have found Disney to be something that we tolerate. Our kids have enjoyed over 40 to 50 extended trips (depending on the age of the child) to various Disney resorts (some non-DVC but more DVC than not). We have stayed at all but the Poly and Copper River DVCs in Orlando. Old Key West and Saratoga are our favorites. We have been to HH DVC around 18 or so times and Vero Beach 3 times. We had a Vero Beach spring break trip and an early June Hilton Head trip cancelled due the closings. Stumbled on this reservation by accident. Our other stays were in an Inn room for the 3 of us at Vero and a 1BDRM for the 4 of us at HH. Do not really need a 2BDRM at HH but lucky to get anything at this point. Many will be losing lots of points. We now have booked HH for October so we will be clean on points. Got a little off topic there but the main point is that we have seen Disney for what it is for us and that is a giant money sucking machine. DVC has allowed us to enjoy nice stays (all of our points were resale purchases) but we have not been star struck by Disney for a very long time.

So when I checked in on Sunday the exuberance of the clerk was a tad much when so much of the resort was basically unavailable......at least the several of the things that our sons enjoy. Our room was not ready (as expected) so we headed to the beach house after getting our vehicle pass. July 4th weekend can be a tough parking spot find down there with others allowed to park in the lot that Disney does not exclusive use over. The time of day helped and we got a spot on the surface lot. We asked about moving 1 chair to a 3 chair grouping (Disney is using the word pod) and was told no due to social distancing in place so we took (2) 3 chair groupings for the 4 of us. Their rules but we wasted 4 chairs and the social distancing would have worked just fine where these chairs were placed. Just relaxed by the pool. The beach on the 4th is a mess so we did not even bother with our umbrella or beach chairs. We did grab lunch here for the 4 of us (lucky for us it was the weekend) using some old discounted (from Sam's Club) Disney gift cards that our youngest had taken on a school trip to Disney several years back. The food prices here are terrible and we rarely buy food from here but we had the cards and the timing worked. Wife ordered the food and it was brought to us in a large paper bag for social distancing purposes.

We got the text that the room was ready around 1:30pm so we headed up and put our stuff in the room and headed to the resort pool. Had no issue finding chairs but we did have to use 3 chairs over behind the water slide and 2 chairs about 20 feet from the kiddie pool. We did later move to a group of four chairs when others left. Not wanting to make this a trip report so I will ease up and give our impressions of what we encountered. Our room did over look the pool (not our favorite - the first time that had happened since our first stay in '99) but it by the non-smoking gate on the water side so it was convenient for this trip since we never really anything much else at the resort except for the pool.

The weather forecast was miserable for us after Sunday but wound up being a B- considering the forecast. Our sons could not play basketball, shoot pool, play corn hole or shuffle board. They did walk to the Lodge (even though I told them not a chance) to see if there any cookies one night. We total understand social distancing and wearing a mask inside (it is the "law" per the government.

We shopped at Krogers on Sunday night but we had most of our snacks. We did pick up ice and chocolate milk for making ice cream. We did that for the first time at a Disney resort and it was a great idea. We dined inside at Wayback Burger on Sunday night. Dined at Fish Camp (had a reservation that was made in advance) on Monday night. Had a late lunch at Fiesta Fresh on Tuesday due to a storm that came in around 4:00PM. We had a pizza from Guiseppi's at the pool on Wednesday on our check out day.

We felt like the trip was lessened by the restrictions in place due to the virus. We had points that we needed to use so we were lucky to do so. We did not return to the beach house because the chance of rain was so great that we did not want to deal with the beach set-up.

A couple of things that I do not understand is not having Signals open every day at the beach house (it is the height of summer). Also, the bar was not open there when we at the beach house on Sunday........why? Also, with so little to to.......why did the pools not open at 8:00am as they always have in the past. The resort pool opened at 9:00am and the beach pool did not open until 10:00am. Makes zero sense.

We understand the tragedy that this virus has caused so many families. We were glad to be able to visit the resort but for us this was the usual great Hilton Head DVC trip that we have based on how we navigate all things Disney. This trip was a low C- but it was better than no trip at all due to the points that would have just been lost.
Thanks for the thorough review. It is very helpful. We have our first visit to HHI scheduled for August. Still on the fence. We live 1 hr from WDW so have stayed at every DVC resort there (owners of BLT & VB), VB, Aulani, and GC so HHI is the last one to complete those that are open now! We went to VB over the 4th and was thinking the same - for people who have never been here before it must not seem like much since not everything is offered. We have WDW visits for Tgiving week and a weekend in Dec planned but doubt we will go as I am not sure it will be the same experience and those are points I can bank. Lots to consider with the HHI trip but we have had 3 cancelled trips so far this year so like you said, better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

The weather forecast was miserable for us after Sunday but wound up being a B- considering the forecast. Our sons could not play basketball, shoot pool, play corn hole or shuffle board. They did walk to the Lodge (even though I told them not a chance) to see if there any cookies one night. We total understand social distancing and wearing a mask inside (it is the "law" per the government.

Thank you for sharing. Makes me miss the pre-Covid days for sure and hoping Disney will once again, be Disney. Do you recall which days Signals was open? Also was the beach house open/pool daily, or just Signals closed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a moderator note...masks are required on DVC/Disney properties. You may post where they must be worn, but discussion of pros and cons of masks, since it is a requirement, is not a topic for discussion on the DVC Boards .As with most things Disney/DVC...it is what it is. If you wish to discuss whether masks should be worn, please do so on the DIS Community Board.

Just a moderator note...masks are required on DVC/Disney properties. You may post where they must be worn, but discussion of pros and cons of masks, since it is a requirement, is not a topic for discussion on the DVC Boards .As with most things Disney/DVC...it is what it is. If you wish to discuss whether masks should be worn, please do so on the DIS Community Board.
I don’t understand this because people discuss the pros and cons of Disney rules all over disboards. No one is advocating subversion of those rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter