*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

I've been skimming through this thread and am convinced we have to go to this resort. We own OKW and SSR and already have two weeks booked this Dec at OKW but when my next uy points become active I'm there. Disney World is becoming too crazy for us as we get older, now that we're retired more time has opened up. I will have lots of ?'s before our stay, like what airport do you fly into, can you get groceries delivered, etc, but till then I'll be a lurker. Thanks for an interesting read.

Disney World is becoming too crazy for us as we get older, now that we're retired more time has opened up. I will have lots of ?'s before our stay, like what airport do you fly into, can you get groceries delivered, etc, but till then I'll be a lurker. Thanks for an interesting read.

That's one reason why we love HHI so much. Currently we're planning our first trip to WDW in about 3 years, and I forgot how much PLANNING is involved. Also, remember that you can book for next year before the points become "active". I recently booked for November with points that aren't active now, but will be in November. Most people fly into Savannah, but there's also Charleston and Jacksonville and a few people are fortunate enough to get a flight right onto the island (I forget what airline goes there).

My friends and I are flying using Hilton Head airport. However, my husband is using the Savannah airport after he drops me off. It was a lot less expensive for him.

Generally, we prefer convenience, and when we are together and flying we use Hilton Head airport. Most of the times we drive from NJ.

I see flying into Hilton Head airport is pretty expensive from Hartford, we just came back from Curacao and the flight there was less than the flight to Hilton Head would be. For those that cook in the room what's your options for groceries. Yes, the planning involved in a Disney World trip can be insane, this year we have children and grandchildren coming and going during our two weeks stay there. My wife and I hardly use our phones, most times leaving them in our room, but now we have to fast track our skills to be able to navigate our trip. I miss the days of just winging it and still having a blast.

I've been skimming through this thread and am convinced we have to go to this resort. We own OKW and SSR and already have two weeks booked this Dec at OKW but when my next uy points become active I'm there. Disney World is becoming too crazy for us as we get older, now that we're retired more time has opened up. I will have lots of ?'s before our stay, like what airport do you fly into, can you get groceries delivered, etc, but till then I'll be a lurker. Thanks for an interesting read.
I see flying into Hilton Head airport is pretty expensive from Hartford, we just came back from Curacao and the flight there was less than the flight to Hilton Head would be. For those that cook in the room what's your options for groceries. Yes, the planning involved in a Disney World trip can be insane, this year we have children and grandchildren coming and going during our two weeks stay there. My wife and I hardly use our phones, most times leaving them in our room, but now we have to fast track our skills to be able to navigate our trip. I miss the days of just winging it and still having a blast.
This is why we love HHI so much! We literally make no plans at all. It's such a relaxing vacation. My DH and I have decided to add some nights to WDW onto the beginning of our fall HHI trip just so we can see the 50th celebration, but I'm already stressing trying to plan. It's just become too much work! We will be taking a long break after this next trip.

We are flying nonstop to SAV (from BOS), and the airfare was quite expensive. I did wait far longer than usual to book, but I had been monitoring, and it never seemed very low to begin with. I believe early April is considered a peak time there so I am sure that has something to do with it. In the little research I have done I have discovered there is a Publix and Kroger near the resort, so groceries should be quite simple to grab!

Last edited:
Ok, I've got a WWYD question for y'all:

Currently, we have a 1 bed booked for Sep 3-9. That Sat/Sun and Mon morning will be very busy as it's Labor Day weekend. There is availability for me to switch to Sep 5-10 for a 2 bedroom and I'd only have to buy 9 OTU points. This way we would be arriving as people are leaving and miss most of the LD crowds. It would be one day less of vacation, but we'd be able to spread out a bit more and no one would have to sleep in the living room. Would you want more days or more room?

I would take the 5 nights in the two bedroom. You could always stretch your time by booking the 4th in a room nearby, maybe even a cheaper two bedroom timeshare at one of the many Marriotts if available and then get there early to use the resort until your room is ready. I do go fairly often and I love it there but 4-5 nights are fine for me, although a week or two are also fine!

We are flying nonstop to SAV (from BOS), and the airfare was quite expensive. I did wait far longer than usual to book, but I had been monitoring, and it never seemed very low to begin with. I believe early April is considered a peak time there so I am sure that has something to do with it. In the little research I have done I have discovered there is a Publix and Kroger near the resort, so groceries should be quite simple to grab!
If your airfare is near the dates of the Heritage, I would imagine the prices are very high.
I noticed the dates of the Heritage at DHHIR are the most expensive dates for the entire year on cash prices, yet are not reflected on DVC point charts as any higher.

You've got a choice of Charleston - 2 hours, Savannah - 1 hour, or the small airport on Hilton Head itself. I know United operates from the Md/Va/Dc area as my daughter doesn't like to drive and has used that airport. I've picked up friends at both of the others.

So, if I were flying, I'd pick the least expensive direct flight that got me to any of the three, with the HH one first if I were coming from my area. Or the airline that flew me using my points!

There were no direct flights to HHI or Savannah from Conn. that I could find in a quick search I did the other day plus you have to figure in the car rental or other transportation to the resort.

I would take the 5 nights in the two bedroom. You could always stretch your time by booking the 4th in a room nearby, maybe even a cheaper two bedroom timeshare at one of the many Marriotts if available and then get there early to use the resort until your room is ready. I do go fairly often and I love it there but 4-5 nights are fine for me, although a week or two are also fine!
I forgot to come back and update. I did move it and upgrade the room. I think it'll be better even though we'll have to drive home on a Saturday.

I forgot to mention that a local restaurant chain that offers a discount for people staying at DHHIR is SERG with many different options.
I highly recommend trying them out with a few of them near the DHHIR.
https://serggroup.com/

This is one reason we’re flying into JAX and doing 1 night Amelia Island. Gives us a chance to check it out and do some sightseeing driving up! But we’re also going over Easter weekend. We are flying out of SAV, though, but I did book 11 months in advance and for fantastic fares.

Do any grocery places deliver? I don’t mind shopping for groceries, but when I’m on vacation I do just like to relax.

This is one reason we’re flying into JAX and doing 1 night Amelia Island. Gives us a chance to check it out and do some sightseeing driving up! But we’re also going over Easter weekend. We are flying out of SAV, though, but I did book 11 months in advance and for fantastic fares.

Do any grocery places deliver? I don’t mind shopping for groceries, but when I’m on vacation I do just like to relax.
Since your trip will be during the Heritage golf tournament in Sea Pines, just a heads up that HHI may be busy.
Hope you enjoy your first stay at DHHIR!

Since your trip will be during the Heritage golf tournament in Sea Pines, just a heads up that HHI may be busy.
Good to know! Honestly, our main goal is just to RELAX. We just did a 10-day trip to Disney World over February vacation, and it was fun and wonderful, but now we need a break. :)

Does anyone know if they do Easter Egg hunts at HHI? My 15 year old is a kid-at-heart and loves easter egg hunts, so is hoping to be able to do one!

Good to know! Honestly, our main goal is just to RELAX. We just did a 10-day trip to Disney World over February vacation, and it was fun and wonderful, but now we need a break. :)

Does anyone know if they do Easter Egg hunts at HHI? My 15 year old is a kid-at-heart and loves easter egg hunts, so is hoping to be able to do one!
DHHIR is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a break!
This is our go to place for relaxation.

That's why I am here. Done with the parks for a while if ever again. Debating about selling at least 1 contract but looking here and Vero.

When we were at DHHIR a few years ago, it was both Heritage and Easter week. However, most of the island wasn't too busy at all.However, once you hit the rotary just before Sea Pines, what a difference! DH went in, parked in the first lot and went to the Heritage. Me, I stayed out by Palmetto Dunes and north, and it was fine.

What we used to do for groceries was to do a Kroger pickup in Shelter Cove, but last summer, it was a nightmare. They didn't have most of what we wanted. We were charged for things we didn't get. I said never again. So last November, we did a pickup at the Walmart in Bluffton. It was a great experience, and prices were cheaper than the groceries on the island. Since you will be driving, that might be a good option for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter