*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

When we lived in central Massachusetts, there was a Dunkin Donuts on every street corner, or closer. But unfortunately they're not where we live now. We've always liked an occasional visit to the one on Hilton Head, but were really sad to hear that it might have closed. I hope it's still open.
A far better option (though a little more of a drive) is Alljoy Donuts in Bluffton. Only open Fri-Sun, 0700-1300, they are the best donuts on the island and worth the effort.

Does anyone have any insights or updates on the refurbishment schedule? Hoping to book for Spring Break and etwanting to manage expectations.
According to another social media site, work has begun on Bldgs 14 and 30 (30 is where the two test rooms were done nearly two years ago). I've not heard confirmation of such as yet.

A far better option (though a little more of a drive) is Alljoy Donuts in Bluffton. Only open Fri-Sun, 0700-1300, they are the best donuts on the island and worth the effort.

According to another social media site, work has begun on Bldgs 14 and 30 (30 is where the two test rooms were done nearly two years ago). I've not heard confirmation of such as yet.
I totally agree with sleepydog25. Alljoy Donuts is amazing!!!

Left yesterday. The weather was gorgeous, beautiful breeze at beach especially Tues and Thursday. Ocean was warm about 84 degrees I would guess. The water had no jelly fish or seaweed. Tuesday was so calm, reminded us of Fl West Coast. Wed was extremely windy and waves were huge, umbrellas were not up, most people were up by Beachhouse Pool, in fact Big Dipper Pool was packed because very few were swimming in beach because of huge waves. We ate dinner early about 5, had no problem getting a table at Hudsons and Skull Creek. Was a fabulous trip except for the disrespectful family above us on the third floor of building 11, who sounded like an elephant stomping around up until 1am. The morning after our first night I spoke to a CM at desk and she said that there are quiet hours from 10pm thru 9am. It woke me up about midnight then I dozed back to sleep heard it again at 1am, finally it stopped. I was so tired I was going to call the front desk, but fell back to sleep. How rude, no concern for neighbors downstairs. When we walked by Bldg 14, a worker did in fact say they were remodeling. Last Fireworks for “summer” was Tuesday night, but it was Soooo humid, oppressive when we walked over to Shelter Cove about 730. We could not stand it and decided to miss Fireworks. dripping wet. Other nights were delightful taking a walk at Shelter Cove. Hope all planning vaca at HHI in next few weeks enjoy your vac! 😎Always such a laid back vibe at the resort. Love the complimentary coffee in Blding 11 starting at 6am and 3pm complimentary lemon water and yummy cookies!😁

We will be arriving Wednesday, it looks like along with a tropical storm. :-( We are only there for 3 nights, so unfortunately we might not be able to get as much biking done as we like to do.

Left yesterday. The weather was gorgeous, beautiful breeze at beach especially Tues and Thursday. Ocean was warm about 84 degrees I would guess. The water had no jelly fish or seaweed. Tuesday was so calm, reminded us of Fl West Coast. Wed was extremely windy and waves were huge, umbrellas were not up, most people were up by Beachhouse Pool, in fact Big Dipper Pool was packed because very few were swimming in beach because of huge waves. We ate dinner early about 5, had no problem getting a table at Hudsons and Skull Creek. Was a fabulous trip except for the disrespectful family above us on the third floor of building 11, who sounded like an elephant stomping around up until 1am. The morning after our first night I spoke to a CM at desk and she said that there are quiet hours from 10pm thru 9am. It woke me up about midnight then I dozed back to sleep heard it again at 1am, finally it stopped. I was so tired I was going to call the front desk, but fell back to sleep. How rude, no concern for neighbors downstairs. When we walked by Bldg 14, a worker did in fact say they were remodeling. Last Fireworks for “summer” was Tuesday night, but it was Soooo humid, oppressive when we walked over to Shelter Cove about 730. We could not stand it and decided to miss Fireworks. dripping wet. Other nights were delightful taking a walk at Shelter Cove. Hope all planning vaca at HHI in next few weeks enjoy your vac! 😎Always such a laid back vibe at the resort. Love the complimentary coffee in Blding 11 starting at 6am and 3pm complimentary lemon water and yummy cookies!😁
This resort is well known for having a lack of sound proofing between the top/bottom villas. Having stayed there quite often over the past years, we’ve actually started requesting the bottom floor villas in order to not worry we will be disturbing others without intention. Although our family does try to be quiet, with children it is very difficult to make your bottom neighbors never hear you at this particular resort. We’ve had noise complaints against us and calls made to our room at 10pm when our children were watching a movie with us and lying still on pillows on the floor. I begged the cast members to understand that we were not trying to be loud and only walking when necessary lol. As the family trying to be as still and quiet as possible to respect others, it’s exhausting wrangling these children to the point that we asked them to walk on their tip toes to avoid the neighbors being disturbed below after a second call was made. On the flip side, we’ve been awakened by our above neighbors at 6am from the first floor villas, but unfortunately it is the trade off now that I realize we will accept that others are usually not trying to be loud above us (as we weren’t) when they walk to the bathroom or move their tables and chairs to gather or come in late. A 2 bedroom can sleep around 9-10 people so that’s a lot of walking and moving. I’m just saying the guests are not always intentionally stomping about to be loud, at least in our experience.

This resort is well known for having a lack of sound proofing between the top/bottom villas. Having stayed there quite often over the past years, we’ve actually started requesting the bottom floor villas in order to not worry we will be disturbing others without intention. Although our family does try to be quiet, with children it is very difficult to make your bottom neighbors never hear you at this particular resort. We’ve had noise complaints against us and calls made to our room at 10pm when our children were watching a movie with us and lying still on pillows on the floor. I begged the cast members to understand that we were not trying to be loud and only walking when necessary lol. As the family trying to be as still and quiet as possible to respect others, it’s exhausting wrangling these children to the point that we asked them to walk on their tip toes to avoid the neighbors being disturbed below after a second call was made. On the flip side, we’ve been awakened by our above neighbors at 6am from the first floor villas, but unfortunately it is the trade off now that I realize we will accept that others are usually not trying to be loud above us (as we weren’t) when they walk to the bathroom or move their tables and chairs to gather or come in late. A 2 bedroom can sleep around 9-10 people so that’s a lot of walking and moving. I’m just saying the guests are not always intentionally stomping about to be loud, at least in our experience.
I guess we have been very lucky staying here up until this last visit, never had an issue. Understood with kids it’s difficult during normal daytime to evening hours, except at 1am when guests are sleeping, this is ridiculous.

I guess we have been very lucky staying here up until this last visit, never had an issue. Understood with kids it’s difficult during normal daytime to evening hours, except at 1am when guests are sleeping, this is ridiculous.
I think RapunzelRN is making a point that even if you tiptoe it can sound like a herd of elephants to the people below you. So if someone woke to go to the bathroom or some other reason and was trying to be very quiet, it might sound pretty loud to the guests below. Not everyone sleeps all the way through the night without waking and having to get up for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons may be medical as well. Perhaps that is what happened in your situation. I think the sound issue is the only negative about this resort, but it's a big one.

We have 3 teen boys who “fight” and let’s just say when we are on the top or even on the bottom I am mortified when they start something. We have never had anyone call to complain about our noise levels, and we are quiet at night so hopefully I am just overly worried. Also dh blares the tv. I am constantly turning it down secretly, but I cannot see how the entire resort doesn’t hear our tv blaring ancient aliens. But we have been on the ground floor many times at HHI and have heard the people above making a lot of movement noise. Usually I don’t think there are even any kids up there, just a couple of “old” people and it is loud. I wear ear plugs at night and all of the males sleep like logs so no problem.

I think the sound issue is the only negative about this resort, but it's a big one.
I agree. We've never once been on the first floor and not been bothered by sound above. There is absolutely no sound proofing in between the floors. Still, we love the resort and this is really the only thing I can knock it for.

We just bring ear plugs.

We are headed down first week in October. Just DH and I in a one bedroom. Are there one bedrooms up on second floor? Should we request a second floor due to noise overhead with first floor rooms?

Also, is there still a boat dock that offers dolphin watch rides from the resort? We did this years ago with our kids and parents and we are hoping to do it again, just the two of us.

TIA,
Dee

Hello my family will be traveling down to HHI at the end of March Early April for spring break! We were able to secure our reservation this morning. Please let me know all of the must do things we should do on and off resort. Thank you in advance of your suggestions. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom unit if that helps with anything. Any unit number recommendations would be great as well.

We are headed down first week in October. Just DH and I in a one bedroom. Are there one bedrooms up on second floor? Should we request a second floor due to noise overhead with first floor rooms?

Also, is there still a boat dock that offers dolphin watch rides from the resort? We did this years ago with our kids and parents and we are hoping to do it again, just the two of us.

TIA,
Dee
Yes there are one bedrooms on the second floor. I was in a one bedroom on the second floor of the lodge and I agree with everyone else about noise. The people in the room next to us were extremely loud and we could hear all of their conversations. I felt like I was part of their conversation.

TIA,
Dee
Yes, the lodge has a second floor. You can even be on the third floor of the lodge. In Other Words, the second floor isn't the top floor. We always ask for "Main Lodge, top floor or attached building 12, top floor." Sixteen of the 21 one bedrooms are in the main lodge (that's also called building 11) and 12. The other 5 one bedrooms are, one each, in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30. But those 5 are all first floor, the ONLY reason I don't request building 18. That one has a beautiful marsh view. Just remember, though, that the second floor of the Main Lodge has a floor above it. We stayed there one year and know from experience!
Here's the view from the one bedroom in Building 18.

Attachments

• 42EEC0D4-6B56-4125-A1D3-15C19848EE18_1_105_c.jpeg
    42EEC0D4-6B56-4125-A1D3-15C19848EE18_1_105_c.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 10
Yes, the lodge has a second floor. You can even be on the third floor of the lodge. In Other Words, the second floor isn't the top floor. We always ask for "Main Lodge, top floor or attached building 12, top floor." Sixteen of the 21 one bedrooms are in the main lodge (that's also called building 11) and 12. The other 5 one bedrooms are, one each, in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30. But those 5 are all first floor, the ONLY reason I don't request building 18. That one has a beautiful marsh view. Just remember, though, that the second floor of the Main Lodge has a floor above it. We stayed there one year and know from experience!
Here's the view from the one bedroom in Building 18.
Thanks. Does the main lodge have elevators and is it still under renovation?

Yes, the main lodge has elevators (and you can get to building 12 that way, no stairs) and I have no idea where it stands in the renovation process. I've got my fingers crossed that either it's done by November, or they wait until after the holidays, because we always request the main lodge.

(and you can get to building 12 that way, no stairs)
OK - this got my attention. We normally book 2 BR's so I don't request the main lodge. I know there are lock offs there but as there are so few studios and 1 BR's it always seemed wrong to request a 2 BR in the lodge just for the elevator. I have really bad knees and while I can certainly do stairs, I'd rather not if I don't have to. I'm trying to picture how you get over to building 12's upper floors without stairs. Thanks in advance :) .

OK - this got my attention. We normally book 2 BR's so I don't request the main lodge. I know there are lock offs there but as there are so few studios and 1 BR's it always seemed wrong to request a 2 BR in the lodge just for the elevator. I have really bad knees and while I can certainly do stairs, I'd rather not if I don't have to. I'm trying to picture how you get over to building 12's upper floors without stairs. Thanks in advance :) .
Building 11 and 12 are connected. You can either use the stairs (located in both Buildings 11 and 12) or you can use the elevator in Building 11, go to Level 1 or 2 and walk right to Building 12.

And you are right. If you are booking a 2 BR, you won't get either of these buildings as they only use them for studios and 1 BRs. Someone else may have more expertise in this subject, but I think the only way you would get a 2 BR lock-off in one of these buildings is if you book an accessible room.

Building 11 and 12 are connected. You can either use the stairs (located in both Buildings 11 and 12) or you can use the elevator in Building 11, go to Level 1 or 2 and walk right to Building 12.

And you are right. If you are booking a 2 BR, you won't get either of these buildings as they only use them for studios and 1 BRs. Someone else may have more expertise in this subject, but I think the only way you would get a 2 BR lock-off in one of these buildings is if you book an accessible room.
Thank you!! I had no idea. I don't need an accessible room so I've always just assumed the main lodge wasn't an option for us booking 2 BR's. This is great info about building 12.

Hello my family will be traveling down to HHI at the end of March Early April for spring break! We were able to secure our reservation this morning. Please let me know all of the must do things we should do on and off resort. Thank you in advance of your suggestions. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom unit if that helps with anything. Any unit number recommendations would be great as well.
There are so many things to do on HHI to include fishing excursions, kayaking/paddleboarding, tours, and restaurants. However, for most who come to HHI, the best idea is not to schedule too many activities. Part of the allure of HHI is the laid back vibe: going to the beach, sitting by the pool and enjoying music, trivia contests, et. al., lounging on your balcony with coffee or other drinks, playing the yard games scattered throughout the resort, riding bikes all over the island. In other words, spending quality time together. I'm not saying you can't do that with other activities, but what surprises people the most who visit HHI is that you can relax and not plan like you do for a trip to WDW. So, many just come to relax and leave feeling refreshed--like a true vacation. That being said, I'd be sure to do a couple of things. First, book a kayak tour through Outside Hilton Head located in Shelter Cove--a 10-minute walk from the resort back over the bridge. They're fun, easy, and a great family (our couples) excursion. Second, Pinckney National Wildlife Refuge located between the two bridges as you drive over to HHI from Bluffton--maybe a 15 minute drive from the resort. It's free and has walking/biking trails and you'll see plenty of wildlife, especially aquatic birds. (If you don't want to drive that far, a closer and smaller option is Jarvis Creek Park--about a 10-minute drive.)

Restaurants? There are so many on the island, and most of them are good to excellent. For my money. . .
Seafood: Fishcamp on Broad Creek, Skull Creek Boathouse, Hudson's, Black Marlin, Ela's on the Water (10-minute walk from the resort).
Italian: OMBRA Cucina, Nunzio's, Michael Anthony's
Other: Hilton Head Social Bakery (5-minute walk), Oddbirds Cafe (Bluffton), Alljoy Donuts (Bluffton), and Farm (Bluffton)
Fresh seafood to cook in your room: Benny Hudson's Seafood (not the restaurant), Barnacle Bill's

As for room selection, there's a great map on Page 1 of this thread that will give you a nice overview of which building sits where. In short, there are 21 guest room buildings on property, with Bldg 11 being at the entrance to the resort (and where you check in--Live Oak Lodge) and Bldg 31 being the farthest out at the other end of the resort. Don't be deceived, though, as it's a small resort and you can walk from 11 to 31 in 7-8 minutes. The main pool--Big Dipper Pool--sits in the back 1/3 of the resort, and it's co-located with the QS (Tide Me Over) and the gift shop (Mercantile). The fishing pier is also located there, as is the recreational activities window where you can sign up for classes, rent bikes, or grab fishing/crabbing gear.

No 2BRs are located in the first two buildings, 11 and 12, so you will be in one of the other 19 guest room buildings.
Marsh view: 14, 15, 18, 22, 24, 27, 29, 31
Pool view: 23, 25 (partially obstructed by the 2-story slide), 26
Closest to pool (keep in mind no bldg is very far away): 20 to 31
Closest to resort entrance: 11 to 18
Due to noise issues, I'd definitely ask for a top floor room. While marsh views are nice, there are no bad views at the resort with the possible exception of a few rooms overlooking the boardwalk off Bldg 12--the top floor rooms in 12 also have views of the main service building's dumpster and recycle bins. (However, those rooms, likewise, do have partial marsh views.) Still, Bldg 12 has no 2BRs so not an issue for you.

Enjoy your trip!pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter