HHI--things to bring, things to make, things to rent...

thisismyusername

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We're very excited to head to HHI in a few weeks for a 5 day stay before we head to WDW. I've read through many of the threads here, but had a few questions of some things that I didn't find the answer to...

First, can anyone think of something you wish you brought along that you didn't have? We are driving, so we have a little more flexibility with packing the car.

Secondly, I'd like to cook during this part of our vacation since we will be eating each meal out when we get to Disney. Generally, I love grilling on beach vacations since it's simple clean up, simple ingredients, etc., but the charcoal grills have me intimidated, and I'm not sure I want to take the time to experiment with charcoal and the extra time it takes to heat, the extra time I have to be away from the kitchen preparing other food, etc. I've thought about buying a travel gas grill for this trip--if I do, can I use it on our deck/patio, or would it need to be down at the grilling area? Or, if I don't bring along a gas grill, can anyone think of a few meal ideas that cook well in the DVC unit (that are not pasta)?

And finally, I got a great rate for bike rentals. Who do you recommend for beach chair/umbrella rentals? Do the rental places who do business direct on the beach set up the chairs/umbrellas for you?

Thanks for all of your helpful hints, tips and advice!

THANKS for the link and the info!!!:cheer2:

FYI..For those who prefer to rent directly through Disney Hilton Head, just called Recreation Dept which is located by pool. Length of stay rate for DVC Members is $30 or $16 for the day. Rates include basket, lock, and helmet.:goodvibes

Does anyone know if there are hair dryers there? Making my packing list and I wasn't for sure.

Thanks!

First, great username.

First, can anyone think of something you wish you brought along that you didn't have? We are driving, so we have a little more flexibility with packing the car.

My wife always likes to take a decent paring knife, no matter which DVC resort. When we go in June, I'm going to take a crab lure to try from the pier, but they have baskets that you can get at the Rec window. Also, planning on taking our own beach chairs and a cabana-tent-thingee. We found last year that you can't rent a cabana (or beach umbrella, in the case of HHI) separately from chairs (like you can at Vero Beach). So, you're either going a full-rental route or a full-self-supply route.

Secondly, I'd like to cook during this part of our vacation since we will be eating each meal out when we get to Disney. Generally, I love grilling on beach vacations since it's simple clean up, simple ingredients, etc., but the charcoal grills have me intimidated, and I'm not sure I want to take the time to experiment with charcoal and the extra time it takes to heat, the extra time I have to be away from the kitchen preparing other food, etc. I've thought about buying a travel gas grill for this trip--if I do, can I use it on our deck/patio, or would it need to be down at the grilling area? Or, if I don't bring along a gas grill, can anyone think of a few meal ideas that cook well in the DVC unit (that are not pasta)?

I'm not sure about the rules on that, but I wouldn't think that they'd want the risk of people grilling on balconies/patios; I'd think they'd want you to do it at the grilling areas.

And finally, I got a great rate for bike rentals. Who do you recommend for beach chair/umbrella rentals? Do the rental places who do business direct on the beach set up the chairs/umbrellas for you?

It didn't appear that there were other sources to rent from than the lifeguards at the beach, but I could be wrong. When you rent from them, you get one of the sets of chairs and umbrellas that are already set up. You can pick which one from what's available, if location is a concern.

Thanks for all of your helpful hints, tips and advice!

Check out my current trip report (link below), there's a lot of yammerin' but it might be of some use to you.

Does anyone know if there are hair dryers there? Making my packing list and I wasn't for sure.

Thanks!

Yes, there are.

WE do not worry about what we forgot to pack for the trip there is now a Kroger's right down from the resort. I have always just rented umbrellas and beach chairs from the outfit right where you get on the beach from the Disney Beach House. One suggestion would be to do yourself a favor and venture out for one meal at HH, since they have some great seafood places. I would go for lunch since the prices are better.

WE do not worry about what we forgot to pack for the trip there is now a Kroger's right down from the resort. I have always just rented umbrellas and beach chairs from the outfit right where you get on the beach from the Disney Beach House. One suggestion would be to do yourself a favor and venture out for one meal at HH, since they have some great seafood places. I would go for lunch since the prices are better.

we are at HHI right now,most importantly DONT forget everyone's DVC membership card as it is emphasized throughout your stay that you will not get a discount without both. also know your discounts as they are not necessarily given unless you mention it. This is a new policy apparently, and while we have had no issues one never know.

and I would suggest not to forget the Kroger card as they also have a Kroger gas station. if you don't have one you might want to get one. also this is not your ordinary Kroger that I have been in. it is huge and fantastic.

also for higher end the piggly wiggly is now a whole foods.

GraueMaus - Anyway you could post a picture of the May activity sheet? I'm curious to see what is activities are being offered and when parent's night out is.

Thanks!!!

Grauemaus, THANKS for the reminder about DVC cards...Always take ours, always good to remind!:banana:
How has the weather been? HOPE that you are having a GREAT vaca!:thumbsup2

Grauemaus, THANKS for the reminder about DVC cards...Always take ours, always good to remind!:banana:
How has the weather been? HOPE that you are having a GREAT vaca!:thumbsup2
the weather has been great for the most part. though there was an afternoon thunderstorm yesterday afternoon as well as last night into early morning. all is clear blue skies here at the big dipper pool. best weather this week. mid 80s with a cool breeze. only complaint is that the fish are not biting.

I will try to post the week info, however I do know the last low country boil is apparently tonight (for the season I believe)

the weather has been great for the most part. though there was an afternoon thunderstorm yesterday afternoon as well as last night into early morning. all is clear blue skies here at the big dipper pool. best weather this week. mid 80s with a cool breeze. only complaint is that the fish are not biting.

I will try to post the week info, however I do know the last low country boil is apparently tonight (for the season I believe)
I am truing to post a picture of the week events but apparently it is to large

Hi all,

The charcoal grill are ease to use and the staff keeps them clean, I would check with the front desk about using a gas one on property. I would also suggest eating out at least once the sea food is supper fresh and good.

I ended up buying a comfy robe for walking back to the room from the hot tub at night. So I would bring one next time, especially if it is cooler weather.

... I've thought about buying a travel gas grill for this trip--if I do, can I use it on our deck/patio, or would it need to be down at the grilling area?

Grills are not allowed on the balconies due to fire hazard. I'm sure you could use them in the grilling areas but the charcoal grills are also easy to use. It takes about 15 minutes for the coals to be ready for use - you might even luck out and come just after someone else has just finished grilling their meal! :)

... Do the rental places who do business direct on the beach set up the chairs/umbrellas for you?
The beach chairs/umbrellas are serviced and rented by the beach patrol. They set them each morning by 9am and take them down each afternoon. Here is a link with their rental information - http://www.shorebeach.com/

Enjoy your stay! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter