• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hi Everyone. New to Aulani and a couple questions regarding time of year, length of stay and room view

Maggie The Cat

Mouseketeer
There will be 4 adults going in late April 2024. We plan to stay 9 or 10 nights at Aulani.

We plan to tour around Oahu as much as we can with a few hotel days thrown in there - do you think we will have enough to do on Oahu staying at Aulani for 9 or 10 nights? We will be renting a car.

As far as room views go, how terrible is a standard view? I mean, it's Hawaii, can't be that bad? :) This is just in the interest of saving money. We can book better, but I'd rather save and pay for other things.

April good time to go?

Also, how fast does Aulani usually book up? Booking for April 2024 is already open, but do we have some time to figure out exact dates or would you recommend booking now?

All advice welcome.

If it’s your first time to Oahu, there’s tons to see and do. I think 9-10 nights should be good for some touring plus time at hotel. That gives you good wiggle room if weather impacts activities and you need to rebook. No idea what weather is like in April but I assume better than winter months! :)

I hear the standard view is of the parking lot but hopefully someone else can confirm. We had island garden view and we were on halawai lawn which was lovely—bonus to hear the luau every few evenings.

If you want to save money, book somewhere else for touring days, then stay 3-4 days at Aulani end of trip for resort days. Aulani is going to be very pricey for days you don't intend to be there much, versus other accommodation.

If you want to save money, book somewhere else for touring days, then stay 3-4 days at Aulani end of trip for resort days. Aulani is going to be very pricey for days you don't intend to be there much, versus other accommodation.

Thanks but that is where everyone wants to stay. Some will be spending more time at hotel than others. And no one really wants to spend time changing hotels.

I dont have to save money, but if standard view is still pretty okay, I'd book that since we can just go outside and see ocean.

If it’s your first time to Oahu, there’s tons to see and do. I think 9-10 nights should be good for some touring plus time at hotel. That gives you good wiggle room if weather impacts activities and you need to rebook. No idea what weather is like in April but I assume better than winter months! :)

I hear the standard view is of the parking lot but hopefully someone else can confirm. We had island garden view and we were on halawai lawn which was lovely—bonus to hear the luau every few evenings.

Thanks.

I think we'd do 9 nights. First day travel, 8 full days of whatever, then leave next day. I think we'd arrive eearly afternoon and leave late afternoon.

There is definitely enough to do if you have a car. You can spend 2 days on the east shore of the island, 1 or 2 on the north shore, 1 or 2 in Waikiki, 1 at Pearl Harbor, and the rest at the resort or in the surrounding area. You'll probably want the first day to explore Aulani and adjust to the time change.

Standard is fine. Most of them either look at the parking decks or convention center. If you think you'll want to spend time on the balcony, I would at least get an Island Garden view so you'll be higher up and not looking right at cars.

April is a great time to go weather-wise. There may be a lot of families since it's spring break for some schools, but Honolulu usually has theirs in March, so it won't be too bad.

Standard views book up fast due to the price, but the other categories are usually fine except during peak summer months. You can always cancel and rebook if you want to change dates or the view.

There is definitely enough to do if you have a car. You can spend 2 days on the east shore of the island, 1 or 2 on the north shore, 1 or 2 in Waikiki, 1 at Pearl Harbor, and the rest at the resort or in the surrounding area. You'll probably want the first day to explore Aulani and adjust to the time change.

Standard is fine. Most of them either look at the parking decks or convention center. If you think you'll want to spend time on the balcony, I would at least get an Island Garden view so you'll be higher up and not looking right at cars.

April is a great time to go weather-wise. There may be a lot of families since it's spring break for some schools, but Honolulu usually has theirs in March, so it won't be too bad.

Standard views book up fast due to the price, but the other categories are usually fine except during peak summer months. You can always cancel and rebook if you want to change dates or the view.

What is the difference between a pool view and ocean view? Besides price. 😆 seems like you would see the ocean if facing pool?

What is the difference between a pool view and ocean view? Besides price. 😆 seems like you would see the ocean if facing pool?
You'd think! But it's the height of the rooms. Those below the trees inside the "U" are poolside gardens views, higher rooms are partial or full ocean view.

If you're looking at these rooms, note that noise isn't really an issue since the doors are insulated, but people can easily see your balcony.

There will be 4 adults going in late April 2024. We plan to stay 9 or 10 nights at Aulani.

We plan to tour around Oahu as much as we can with a few hotel days thrown in there - do you think we will have enough to do on Oahu staying at Aulani for 9 or 10 nights? We will be renting a car.

As far as room views go, how terrible is a standard view? I mean, it's Hawaii, can't be that bad? :) This is just in the interest of saving money. We can book better, but I'd rather save and pay for other things.

April good time to go?

Also, how fast does Aulani usually book up? Booking for April 2024 is already open, but do we have some time to figure out exact dates or would you recommend booking now?

All advice welcome.
I've only traveled to Aulani in August, so I cannot comment on April.

I rarely lounge around the room during WDW or DL trips, and I don't care about room views on those trips. Aulani was different as I lounged more in the room. I think the standard view may be a letdown. Coming from East Coast, we were up early in the morning and tired in the evening, spending more time relaxing in the room. I fell in love with the ocean view while eating breakfast or a nightcap before bed.

I am glad to hear you'll be renting a car. This will help you get more done in your 9-10 nights. I find Oahu small enough to travel anywhere from Aulani as long as you plan around rush hour or avoid the North Shore on weekends.

You'd think! But it's the height of the rooms. Those below the trees inside the "U" are poolside gardens views, higher rooms are partial or full ocean view.

If you're looking at these rooms, note that noise isn't really an issue since the doors are insulated, but people can easily see your balcony.

Ah, got it.

The pool area looks gorgeous, maybe we'd like that. Or the island garden view you suggested may be nice.

The pool area is definitely beautiful. I personally think island view on a higher floor is the best value, while partial ocean is my splurge.

I'm sorry to keep asking, but what view would be upper floors but still over pool? And what would be partial ocean?

Last edited:
I've only traveled to Aulani in August, so I cannot comment on April.

I rarely lounge around the room during WDW or DL trips, and I don't care about room views on those trips. Aulani was different as I lounged more in the room. I think the standard view may be a letdown. Coming from East Coast, we were up early in the morning and tired in the evening, spending more time relaxing in the room. I fell in love with the ocean view while eating breakfast or a nightcap before bed.

I am glad to hear you'll be renting a car. This will help you get more done in your 9-10 nights. I find Oahu small enough to travel anywhere from Aulani as long as you plan around rush hour or avoid the North Shore on weekends.

That makes sense. We may like lounging on the balcony with wine to end the night. I read things wind down pretty early, by 9 or so?

Thanks but that is where everyone wants to stay. Some will be spending more time at hotel than others. And no one really wants to spend time changing hotels.

I dont have to save money, but if standard view is still pretty okay, I'd book that since we can just go outside and see ocean.

If you stay at Aulani, you'll need to plan your drives very carefully on weekdays. It'll take more time to drive from Aulani to Diamond Head on a Monday morning at 7am than it will to change hotels. Driving back to Aulani from 3pm-6pm is even worse, especially on Fridays. I live about 5 minutes from Diamond Head/Waikiki and allow myself 1.75 - 2 hours to drive to Aulani on weekday afternoons.

If you stay at Aulani, you'll need to plan your drives very carefully on weekdays. It'll take more time to drive from Aulani to Diamond Head on a Monday morning at 7am than it will to change hotels. Driving back to Aulani from 3pm-6pm is even worse, especially on Fridays. I live about 5 minutes from Diamond Head/Waikiki and allow myself 1.75 - 2 hours to drive to Aulani on weekday afternoons.

Thanks, we will do that.
We plan to go to 2 different waterfalls/trails on different days, one day to see Waikiki, one day to the ranch that I'm forgetting the name, one day at the North Shore and then not sure.

We know bad traffic here at home!

Last edited:
I think you’re referring to Koaloa Ranch! I love that place—great if you’re a movie buff bc they’ve shot so many movies in that valley!

Consider the beaches—Kailua and Lanikai—on the east side which are beautiful and calm / good for water sports. Also Hanauma Bay for snorkeling!

I think you’re referring to Koaloa Ranch! I love that place—great if you’re a movie buff bc they’ve shot so many movies in that valley!

Consider the beaches—Kailua and Lanikai—on the east side which are beautiful and calm / good for water sports. Also Hanauma Bay for snorkeling!

Yes, that's it! Thank you for tip on snorkeling too.

We stayed 8 nights our first trip, then went back for another 7 nights within 6 months. Ko O'lina quickly became our favorite place to vacation! I think you will have plenty to do as long as you rent a car, plan, and get out and explore. There is so much to explore, it's a wonderful island. Hike Diamond Head, take a circle island helicopter tour (this was amazing), take surfing lessons, shop in Waikiki, rent a convertible and drive the H3 to Kaneohe, ATV ride in Kualoa ranch, visit the Valley of the Temples, see Byodo-In Temple, pay your respects at Pearl Harbor, swim in the waterfall at Waimea valley, swim at Shark's cove, take a sunset cruise, snorkel in Hanauma bay, honestly there is so much to do if you get out and do it.

We booked ocean view each time because waking up to the ocean is important to us, but if it isn't where you want to spend your money, being at Aulani in any room is better than being at home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter