• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hidden Figures!

I, too, LOVED "Hidden Figures". It is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time!

The commercial looks great, definitely want to see this next.

It is on my list. I probably won't watch it until it is on dvd, but I am looking forward to it.

We saw it Saturday. DH couldn't wait for it to come out. Excellent movie, so moving seeing what these women had to go thru.

want to see this. Wonder why I've never heard anything about these ladies until the movie

So I had never heard of any of this but my 17 year old daughter said "hey want to go out to dinner and the movies so I jumped on it since she never has time to do anything anymore LOL. LOVED the movie-turns out my daughter did one of her college essays on Kathrine Johnson so she was excited to see the movie!

want to see this. Wonder why I've never heard anything about these ladies until the movie

Just curious, this is not a snark at you, but just snark in general about the many many unknown (and under appreciated) scientific heros in this country... Pop Quiz: without using Google or looking up in any other way besides knowledge off the top of your head... can you name any of the other scientists (besides these three) who worked on the moon landing? How about Voyager and Mars? How about any American scientist who has won Nobel in the last 50 years? Does the name Kary Mullis mean anything to you?

I have been listening to a lot of chatter in general about how folks are sad they have not heard about any of these ladies. I just find it sad that it seems many folks do not know much about the myriad of talented people who have advanced our scientific knowledge.

Just curious, this is not a snark at you, but just snark in general about the many many unknown (and under appreciated) scientific heros in this country... Pop Quiz: without using Google or looking up in any other way besides knowledge off the top of your head... can you name any of the other scientists (besides these three) who worked on the moon landing? How about Voyager and Mars? How about any American scientist who has won Nobel in the last 50 years? Does the name Kary Mullis mean anything to you?

I have been listening to a lot of chatter in general about how folks are sad they have not heard about any of these ladies. I just find it sad that it seems many folks do not know much about the myriad of talented people who have advanced our scientific knowledge.

You are correct. I do not know of these people. It's not for a lack of paying attention. I listen to the news, read news papers. Don't follow a lot of pop culture and have been raising kids for 23 years- think I might have heard something in school work discussions. But it's just not out there.

Does Madame Marie Curie count?

You are correct. I do not know of these people. It's not for a lack of paying attention. I listen to the news, read news papers. Don't follow a lot of pop culture and have been raising kids for 23 years- think I might have heard something in school work discussions. But it's just not out there.

Does Madame Marie Curie count?
Of course!! She is the ultimate Ninja warrior scientist

Kary Mullis, developed a technique called Polymerase Chain Reaction or PCR. Nobel prize winner 1993. Basically it copies DNA. Really revolutionized the field of molecular biology... blew open forensics as it allowed very tiny evidence samples, that were previously too small for analysis, to now be copied so there is enough for plenty o' testing.

I just find it sad that more people (myself included) know about the day to day antics of people like the Kardashians, rather than the lives and contributions of people like Katherine Johnson, Kary Mullis, or one of my local Umass notables... the recently departed Lynn Margulis. We celebrate and elevate some really odd folks in our society.

Really hope to go see the movie, but it is more likely I will read the book and wait for it to hit the small screen, I just don't get to many movies.

I saw it the other night. I live in a city close to Hampton, VA.(where this all took place in real life).

I am also a fan of Taraji P. Henson and Octavia Spencer, Kevin Costner. Pharrell Williams did a wonderful job with the music as well as help produce it. Jim Parsons did a very good opposite role from Sheldon(Big Bang Theory). As did Kirsten Dunst? I didn't recognize her at first.

Truth be told, I've never heard of any of the scientists or mathematicians that helped behind the scenes in the space program. The astronauts get most of the glory and fame.
I am glad that these women's stories are being told, even if its way too long after the fact. My ds is going to see it with his class tomorrow, so at least kids today are learning about them. I was hoping they would want parent chaperones but they didn't so I'll see it with a friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter