Hiding ducks on the cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One member of an upcoming cruise group has 65 (!!) ducks she is hiding around the ship. I am all for doing something that you enjoy and makes others happy, but this is just excessive and ridiculous.
Yeah that’s...a bit much. Is she bringing an entire suitcase of ducks?! 😆 I travel strictly carry-on, so my family of three will probably bring less than 10 ducks total.

One member of an upcoming cruise group has 65 (!!) ducks she is hiding around the ship. I am all for doing something that you enjoy and makes others happy, but this is just excessive and ridiculous.
You never know why someone does what they do. One person had a death and did it in memory. Not my place to judge when I don't know the whole situation.

So much negativity about the ducks. I will be hiding some ducks on a few of the Australian sailings. It's harmless fun. Hopefully some people find and enjoy them and if some end up in the bin, that's fine too.

The funny part is that there were several different families in our FB group with maybe 100 ducks in total to hide on our last cruise. I was actively keeping an eye out for one and never found a single duck. So they can't be all that intrusive to those who don't care for them.

I love the idea of the ducks, it is whimsical and fun! But I hate the idea of all that plastic wasted - would be nice if they made wooden “rubber” duckies and used those instead. They’d also make really sweet souvenirs. I’m asking my dad to make two wooden ones for my daughters to hide (one each)

I wonder how many get tossed overboard. It reminds me of Lucky Duck on Dis Jr. I picture the Ducky Gulf Stream full of bobbing yellow ducks.

I think it sounds cute and for those who like a little bit of random cheer, go for it.

I guess it is a thing as my group cruise page someone posted a bunch of the ducks they will hide. I have no opinion either way, I guess, as long as they stay out of the ocean.

The funny part is that there were several different families in our FB group with maybe 100 ducks in total to hide on our last cruise. I was actively keeping an eye out for one and never found a single duck. So they can't be all that intrusive to those who don't care for them.
I have never understood this either. I see post after post about hiding ducks. I have seen two in total and one doesn’t count because a cast member was holding it.

1) Officer lanyard pin trading
2) pin trading
3) Fish Etxender
4) Hiding rubber ducks
and even
5) GTKTW in any shape or form

In my opinion, these are all intended to help brighten a little kids day. You were all once little too where a Hotwheel or a Barbie would have just made your day.
So why ruin the spirit of this just because you turned out to be an Old Far*??
--------------------------------------------
YES<
I am choosing to bring 84.... yes, 84 Rubber Ducks onto my DCL Merrytime Cruise this November and have fun hiding them in plain sight for little hands to find.
I have never done this before - ie - thinking of others during the Christmas Season as its just me in this World and No One Else... and I have no children.
..... and what fun I plan on having thinking of Kids during this Christmas Season while playing if you will that Jolly Old Man in red suspenders and a white beard -

So to you who Pooh Pooh this, " I am checking my list, and checking it twice..... cuz I know if ....."

well.... YOU KNOW.:santa:

1) Officer lanyard pin trading
2) pin trading
3) Fish Etxender
4) Hiding rubber ducks
and even
5) GTKTW in any shape or form

In my opinion, these are all intended to help brighten a little kids day. You were all once little too where a Hotwheel or a Barbie would have just made your day.
So why ruin the spirit of this just because you turned out to be an Old Far*??
--------------------------------------------
YES<
I am choosing to bring 84.... yes, 84 Rubber Ducks onto my DCL Merrytime Cruise this November and have fun hiding them in plain sight for little hands to find.
I have never done this before - ie - thinking of others during the Christmas Season as its just me in this World and No One Else... and I have no children.
..... and what fun I plan on having thinking of Kids during this Christmas Season while playing if you will that Jolly Old Man in red suspenders and a white beard -

So to you who Pooh Pooh this, " I am checking my list, and checking it twice..... cuz I know if ....."

well.... YOU KNOW.:santa:
I will tell you that 84 will be a lot to hide in common area. May I suggest that you picie dust some fishextenders as well?

So I have a love hate relationship starting this week.
Love.
My dad 80, loved to hide them near children under 5 while the parents watched. He found joy in watching the children find them and the parents acting surprised and so thankful to him that their kids had a chance to find one finally.
Hate.
My cruise specific social media page won’t shut up about it though. I feel one post with content is fine. Let it get 300 comments and 500 likes. But let me scroll to other posts that other people don’t see because they are below each and every duck found by their child. 34 posts with pictures and over a dozen with no pictures. It just seems like normal chat was squelched as a change of theme occurred like it was no longer about dinners and shows or how to get/receive needed items.
I went back just now, and it’s 40% cruise and 60% ducks during the cruise itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter