Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Officer lanyard pin trading
2) pin trading
3) Fish Etxender
4) Hiding rubber ducks
and even
5) GTKTW in any shape or form

In my opinion, these are all intended to help brighten a little kids day. You were all once little too where a Hotwheel or a Barbie would have just made your day.
So why ruin the spirit of this just because you turned out to be an Old Far*??
--------------------------------------------
YES<
I am choosing to bring 84.... yes, 84 Rubber Ducks onto my DCL Merrytime Cruise this November and have fun hiding them in plain sight for little hands to find.
I have never done this before - ie - thinking of others during the Christmas Season as its just me in this World and No One Else... and I have no children.
..... and what fun I plan on having thinking of Kids during this Christmas Season while playing if you will that Jolly Old Man in red suspenders and a white beard -

So to you who Pooh Pooh this, " I am checking my list, and checking it twice..... cuz I know if ....."

well.... YOU KNOW.:santa:
Are you on the Fantasy November 11 Merrytime Cruise? (I think I recognized your name and comment about the ducks from our FB group!)

My dad 80, loved to hide them near children under 5 while the parents watched. He found joy in watching the children find them and the parents acting surprised and so thankful to him that their kids had a chance to find one finally.
So the fact your dad even needed to do thus is what turned me to “hate” on my last cruise. In looking through the facebook messages that posted during the cruise, saw posts from parents of little kids toward the end of the cruise begging to be pixie dusted a duck because they had gotten their kid so excited about ducks and the child was so sad they couldn’t find one. And that was next to posts from adults who posted photos of the dozens of ducks they’d found and were taking home. Reminded me of when I was little and we went to an easter egg hunt and all the big kids has basketfulls of eggs and I couldn’t find one. Much prefer FE where everyone gets something and there are no sad little kids coming away empty handed.

So the fact your dad even needed to do thus is what turned me to “hate” on my last cruise. In looking through the facebook messages that posted during the cruise, saw posts from parents of little kids toward the end of the cruise begging to be pixie dusted a duck because they had gotten their kid so excited about ducks and the child was so sad they couldn’t find one. And that was next to posts from adults who posted photos of the dozens of ducks they’d found and were taking home. Reminded me of when I was little and we went to an easter egg hunt and all the big kids has basketfulls of eggs and I couldn’t find one. Much prefer FE where everyone gets something and there are no sad little kids coming away empty handed.
Yeah, I think if it's truly a random "hey look, I found this hidden duck!" type of thing, that's fun. When it turns into an expectation (that kids then get sad about when the expectation isn't met) that turns into a whole other thing.

I'm not saying every kid needs to find a duck, I'm saying there's a way to manage expectations up front so they are less disappointed.

Yeah, I think if it's truly a random "hey look, I found this hidden duck!" type of thing, that's fun. When it turns into an expectation (that kids then get sad about when the expectation isn't met) that turns into a whole other thing.

I'm not saying every kid needs to find a duck, I'm saying there's a way to manage expectations up front so they are less disappointed.
Which goes to the problem of the cruise group posts the previous poster brought up, which builds up tons of unrealistic expectations especially for first time cruisers. It does feel like these duckies are getting wayyyy overhyped. I didn’t see one the whole cruise, but by the number of posts with pictures of hundreds of ducks you’d think they’d be as ubiquitous as door magnets.

Which goes to the problem of the cruise group posts the previous poster brought up, which builds up tons of unrealistic expectations especially for first time cruisers. It does feel like these duckies are getting wayyyy overhyped. I didn’t see one the whole cruise, but by the number of posts with pictures of hundreds of ducks you’d think they’d be as ubiquitous as door magnets.
Agreed. I've been on a few DCL cruises recently and have never seen a duck. No, I wasn't specifically looking for them, but to your point with how hyped up they are it would seem I would have stumbled across one.

This seems like a discussion about participation trophies. There will always be people on both sides of the argument. What isn’t necessary, is the level of heat applied in comments. If you don’t want your child to get a participation trophy, join a different team or stay and explain the situation and its perceived value.
Yesterday bought 12 Christmas ducks for my 80 father to hide for children under 5 because I got joy from his smile.
Yes, I was annoyed about all the posts on our group’s social media page. But not enough to miss the joy on his face when he saw a happy child that never knew it came from him. For just a moment he remembered that joy that children, his children, he felt as a child. For him he has his own Magic, just for a moment.

For 12, I spent less then a dollar on duck,
But I’m getting a lot of bang for the buck.

We just came back from the Fantasy and our kids got pixie dusted twice. Once a kind family gave slippers to our DD3 and DS6 got a green duck (thanks Fisher family!). They were so excited.

Regarding fish extenders, we didn’t participate but they seemed fun. Loved the decorated rooms and it made it easier to find our room. The chalkboard for communication is great (one person’s room read ‘dad drinking alcohol - brandy? for most of the day. We had a good laugh. you have teens

We fly and only pack 3 check in bags for 5 people (1 kid in diapers; so no room in bags) so can’t participate. I would probably make room for some pixie dusting next time. Even DH was excited that someone pixie dusted our 3 year old (slippers).

Seems it can get out of control quickly. If everyone brought 100 ducks…🤷🏻‍♀️
We should be safe from that issue getting out of hand. Even if you lowered the number to 12 each. Hard to think of 10 things that get 100% participation from strangers.

I found the beloved and longstanding FE groups are between 45-90 rooms per ship. Just looks like more because of the decorations on the doors.

Personally, I just want a little fun not an activity where I need to spend time away from DCL activities.

On a group for my cruise this week they plan to hide a certain color of ducks that can be exchanged for prizes. I can't help but wonder how many of these ducks are going to get nabbed by other folks who have no idea and aren't in the group. Theyre just gonna grab any duck they see... I just hope all the ducks go home and aren't left in the trash or worse, tossed to the sea. :confused3

How long has this been a thing? We went all parks for about 5 years and are just now back to booking DCL again. I don't remember hearing about it before. Do people who take them home bring them back and reuse them on future cruises?

How long has this been a thing? We went all parks for about 5 years and are just now back to booking DCL again. I don't remember hearing about it before. Do people who take them home bring them back and reuse them on future cruises?
I'm sure some get reused.

On a group for my cruise this week they plan to hide a certain color of ducks that can be exchanged for prizes. I can't help but wonder how many of these ducks are going to get nabbed by other folks who have no idea and aren't in the group. Theyre just gonna grab any duck they see... I just hope all the ducks go home and aren't left in the trash or worse, tossed to the sea. :confused3
Ducks are public domain. Maybe your group needs to rethink the plan.

I wonder what happens if a Crew Member finds them. Do they get a prize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter