Hiding ducks on the cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a duck skeptic, especially after a recent cruise group had seemingly hundreds of ducks they were going to hide. I thought I would be seeing ducks lying all over the place, but I didn’t see a single one. My kids each found one and re-hid them. It really didn’t impact my cruise experience at all, so I am now firmly in the “do what makes you happy” camp.

TThere are more duck hiding “convertees” following this thread than before it started.

I would like to put in a sincere request. Can we keep the ducks and leave the roudy children at home? Is that possible? Pleaaaaaasee

On my last cruise some lazy parents let their kids scream at the top of their lungs on the verandah for an hour at 6AM. I eventually got up and asked them to stop.

Y’all got me to thinking, if that stateroom was occupied by a family of rubber ducks. Well, I’d have had a much more peaceful morning.

I’m the annoying adult who never hesitates to tell out-of-line children that they need to stop right now. And I’m a mom. If you aren’t going to parent your kids, I will 😂

I’m the annoying adult who never hesitates to tell out-of-line children that they need to stop right now. And I’m a mom. If you aren’t going to parent your kids, I will 😂
Oooh I like that!! I might have to get sassy, snap my fingers and use that line.

On CC day as we were about to sail away and the kids were screaming again. I could hear the mom repeating over and over to one of the kids “baby, go get momma my binoculars”. After the tenth time of hearing it I wanted to shout “go and get your own f* binoculars”, but thought maybe there’s a reason - she could need assistance.

On disembarkation day, I saw them come out of their cabin and was surprised to see two early 30s, fit and active parents.

Moral of the story - please take your kids to the kids club or the pool if they have that much energy and want to scream or run around all day! Be kind to your neighbors who also paid for a verandah and want to use it

Oooh I like that!! I might have to get sassy, snap my fingers and use that line.

On CC day as we were about to sail away and the kids were screaming again. I could hear the mom repeating over and over to one of the kids “baby, go get momma my binoculars”. After the tenth time of hearing it I wanted to shout “go and get your own f* binoculars”, but thought maybe there’s a reason - she could need assistance.

On disembarkation day, I saw them come out of their cabin and was surprised to see two early 30s, fit and active parents.

Moral of the story - please take your kids to the kids club or the pool if they have that much energy and want to scream or run around all day! Be kind to your neighbors who also paid for a verandah and want to use it
Or you could record the screaming and when it quiets down play the recording back at them. The problem is you don't really know what the problem is do you? Hurt, cut. Pain, cancer, illness, emotional trauma, disability ...you can't tell just by looking at someone. Cancer pain can be controlled but it can get out of control. A person can look healthy but at certain times be totally spent. Disabilities may not present itself until the person is tired or weakened. We were privileged to be beside a Dreams family on one cruise. Usually everything was fine but there were some moments that were more difficult for the family. I'm glad they were beside us rather than......

Several others in this discussion claim the CM throw them away. You have now shared they don't. Hum...two contradictory statements. Logically it doesn't make sense CM would throw them away. Nor does it make sense someone saw 2 in a garbage can. You can't easily see in the trash cans on board. I will tend to go with your statement and go ahead and bring a couple. Thanks
I am sure it is possible that a cast member has thrown away a duck before, just like I'm also sure its possible that another cruiser put a duck in the trash. There is 1,450 CM on the larger Disney ships, I want to say like 900 or something on the Magic/Wonder. If one threw a duck away I'm not sure it would mean all of the CMs are throwing away ducks.

I do know back when COVID restrictions were in place there was a lot of extra cleaning and guests were told nothing left outside your room (i.e. fish extenders, etc) as they had more than normal cleaning processes and things would get discarded. So if the posters were on one of those cruises that could have been very true that a CM was throwing them away as it was impeding the cleaning process.

Basically, do what makes you happy. Some people on this thread are really anti ducks, fish extenders, door decorations, etc.

My kids took their first cruise this summer on another line and loved finding ducks. It occupied quite a bit of their time to go hunt for them. They ended up buying some in the arcade of that ship to hide themselves. They loved the cruise so much, they asked to take a Disney cruise instead of a return trip to WDW this fall. I booked the cruise so late that I missed the cutoff for fish extenders so I didn’t even tell them that’s a thing on DCL. They asked if they could hide ducks on the ship this time and I said I had to check because I wasn’t sure about it on DCL. An internet search led me here so I’m glad you all are hiding ducks, we will be bringing them with us on the Dream later this year!

My kids took their first cruise this summer on another line and loved finding ducks. It occupied quite a bit of their time to go hunt for them. They ended up buying some in the arcade of that ship to hide themselves. They loved the cruise so much, they asked to take a Disney cruise instead of a return trip to WDW this fall. I booked the cruise so late that I missed the cutoff for fish extenders so I didn’t even tell them that’s a thing on DCL. They asked if they could hide ducks on the ship this time and I said I had to check because I wasn’t sure about it on DCL. An internet search led me here so I’m glad you all are hiding ducks, we will be bringing them with us on the Dream later this year!
Our kids received a duck and a pair of sandals. They were super excited. One of the most decorated rooms had their pins stolen - they out a note to trade one if you take one (spring break cruise so lots of teens/kids and sold out cruise). We wish we had some pins with us.

There were times where the WiFi wouldn’t connect so we will be bringing a magnetic chalkboard with us next time.

Our kids received a duck and a pair of sandals. They were super excited. One of the most decorated rooms had their pins stolen - they out a note to trade one if you take one (spring break cruise so lots of teens/kids and sold out cruise). We wish we had some pins with us.

There were times where the WiFi wouldn’t connect so we will be bringing a magnetic chalkboard with us next time.
Both great ideas! I forgot about the pins. Pins were our pandemic collection thing but we had no time to focus on trading them when we went to the parks after they reopened. I have tons we can bring. Maybe we will try the note thing and just put a few pins out each day so they don’t all walk off at once if people don’t trade back. We also have a second room booked with grandparents on this trip so the boards will be perfect.

Both great ideas! I forgot about the pins. Pins were our pandemic collection thing but we had no time to focus on trading them when we went to the parks after they reopened. I have tons we can bring. Maybe we will try the note thing and just put a few pins out each day so they don’t all walk off at once if people don’t trade back. We also have a second room booked with grandparents on this trip so the boards will be perfect.
Don’t forget a magnetic pin board in that case and something to make a note (writing board and dry erase pen) to trade. I was going to buy some pins this time in the parks to trade on our fantasy cruise in March as well.

We try to pack for our family of 5 in 3 suitcases (need extra hands for stroller, carry on bag etc). I’m planning on taking $5 gift cards or something small that won’t take up luggage space. For instance sticker activities:

015EC762-67CA-46BF-B3BD-98B2F2A1EAC4.jpeg
https://meandthemouse.com/disney-pin-trading-what-is-that/

Last edited:
We plan on hiding ducks for the first time this cruise since a few of our grandkids will be with us. They are looking forward to finding and hiding ducks. I found these tags on Amazon and they reminded so much of the DCL ships I had to get them.

DUCK TAG FRONT.JPG

DUCK TAG BACK.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter