hifs - Will we be too cramped? I'm getting VERY worried.

lmmmdtmlem

Mouseketeer
We have reservations for November for $89 per night at the HIFS. We are a group of seven and I am becoming very concerned that we will be entirely too cramped after reading several posts lately. Group includes myself, dh, dd age 10, dd age 4, ds age 7 and two grandparents, aged 60ish. We like the following about the hifs: free breakfast, kids eat free program, pool for the kids, the price(grandparent's rate), free shuttle(we don't plan on renting a car). Are we making a mistake here? Please advise! Thanks so much in advance! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So who gets the pullout sofa? LOL

Anyway, it just depends on who you all are. We had six of us in one room. Sure, it was crowded, and my sister, who had the pullout, probably felt cramped. Her three kids in the kids room were crowded. But breakfast and bed time were the only times we were all there. We took turns going to the buffet and bringing back food for all!

We figured we couldn't beat the $79/night, including breakfast, we paid. I don't think you'll beat that price in a hotel, but if you're concerned, you may be able to switch to condo. I think our attitude was that we were going to be cramped going in, so we weren't disappointed at all. We WERE very pleasantly surprised by the hotel overall.

BTW, I'd plan to bring two-way radios or cell phones so your group can split up. And a van from priceline (I got one for $30/day) can make your life easier when getting back from the parks. Price it out vs. using the limo.

Did you book a kidsuite? If so, you'll be able to put the 3 kids in there if theres a trundle bed... one couple will have the bedroom and one on the pull out couch. It will be very cramped. I think even the people who love this hotel would have to admit that 4 adults and 3 children will be on top of each other. A couple of things that really took some planning for us (there were 5 of us- 2 adults, 2 -17 year olds and 1 -7 year old who was very comfortable by herself in the kidsuite!) was getting out in the morning. There is one large bathroom but no outer sink. It was situated right next to the corner they call a kitchen and the pullout bed. If you all are shower takers in the morning it will take you forever. We had our older kids shower in the evening and then we would shower in the morning. You need to realize that it will be hard (impossible) for the 7 of you to sit and eat toether in the the room so maybe some of the adults can go down to the restaurant area. You'll see when you get in there that when the pullout bed is out you have to literally crawl over the people on the bed to get to the front door so difinately put the early risers out there. Also, we had our luggage everywhere! I did not have a closet of any kind in the kidsuite and there was no room to put the suitcases in the living area so we threw them in kidsuite but it was a mess! You know, it's just a matter of what you're will to sacrifice for the $$$. After staying there for a week, I wouldn't even consider putting 7 people in one of their rooms. But! I like my space and if I'm going to invest that kind of money in a vacation then I want to be comfortable. I'm in the minority though. Many people think this hotel is great... and it does have some nice features. Maybe you're not planning on spending a lot of time in the room? You just have to weigh it out. But whatever you decide, just go with a positve attitude and have a great, great time!!Another idea is to do a back up res somewhere else with say a 24 hour cancellation policy and then if you don't think you can fit, stay one night and then check out and into somehwere else. We looked right away for somehwere else after we arrived and saw how tight it was going to be but unfortunetly it was New Years week and there was no where. So, we stayed the week and managed to have a good time with some planning!
Jenn
Jenn

We had a kidsuite for me, dh, ds-2, dd-6 and were comfortable. Any more I would say would be crowded.
$89 is a good rate for the HIFS. We went last 10/27-11/4 and they had a special Buy one night get one free so we paid for 4 nights instead of 8, with tax averaging $66 a night.
It can be done but remember you will have only one bathroom and you will not be able to walk in the "tv room" once the couch is open.
Just a thought, is the $49 a night rate for the AllStars during your dates? If so, you could get 2 connecting rooms and then have double space, 2 bathrooms and the kids could sleep in either room. Staying on-site you would not have to worry about specific bus times either getting back and forth from the hotel.
Will your 4 year old need a nap? My 6 and 2 year old did (so did we) and again glad we had the car. We are staying at BC in Aug., still plan on having a car, the kids will be 7 & 3 and we will still take naps.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay at HIFS again, especially for $89 a night but there is only 4 in our family.

It is all in what (i)you are expecting (ii)you are used to (iii)your finances (iv)your wants and (v)your planning.

We have spent 2 separate weeks in the Kidsuites at HIFS. The first in '99 with 7- myself, DH and kids (14, 13, 12, 8 and 5) and the second a year later without the (then) 16 yo. We stayed there because we could get seven in there with no problem. While we had reservations for 2 rooms at the Ramada, we cancelled them because the convenience and free food at the HIFS more than made up for the cramped quarters. That said. . .I missed the second bathroom! FYI~ my kids preferred HIFS cramped to 2 rooms at Beach Club :-)rolleyes: go figure) or 2 rooms at Dixie :eek: (We moved each time onsite for 5/7 days after the week at HIFS)

We stored all luggage in the bedroom closet and under the beds. We found that that worked quite well. We used the storage space in the bathroom as "drawer space" for the teens who used the pull-out couch-which was only pulled out during sleeping time. We had an open door policy on the bathroom in the mornings ie. it was only locked when when someone was getting out of the shower, therefore, while someone showered, someone else was brushing their teeth. (Showers were spread out through the day so at no point did we do 7 in a row.)

Personally, I wouldn't want to have to rely on any shuttle service outside of the parks with 7 in tow. If you could get a $49 rate at the AS, 2 rooms and eating breakfast/snacks etc. in the room would be the way that I would go. . .and I am one of HIFS biggest fans!

We had 8 total in 2 adjoining rooms at HIFS & it was very comfortable. However, our sleeping arrangements required more than yours would. We had 6 adults and 2 kids (9 & 10). It's really going to depend on how long you will be there and how close you are comfortable with. For me (us), it was a preference of comfort verses economy. We would have had 2 rooms even if there were only 6 of us.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :jester:

Cobysmom, when you say "adjoining" do you mean next door or do they have rooms that actually connect? Just wondering. We are going in September with me, DH, and our 5 kids. My mom and dad are going to, but they have their own room. We asked for next door rooms, so I am wondering what we will get. We got the rate of $79 a night (thanks mom and dad), so I just couldn't beat that!

We stayed last December for 10 nights at HIFS in a kidsuite. It was great for us (dh, myself, and 3 kids ages 2, 5, 7), but I really think you will be cramped in there with the ages of all staying. If you can afford it, I'd get a connecting room and share all the space. You'd have two bathrooms (which will be very helpful) and with the money your saving on food and such, it would still be a good deal.

If two rooms isn't an option, I'd check out the homes for rent on this site (I believe Premier Homes). They've gotten great reviews in the past.

Have fun when you go!!!

Thank you so much everyone for all of the responses! I knew I could count on the wonderful people on this board for advice! You have given us some things to think about. I will talk to my husband and parents - they are all quite content with having me do all of the planning! - and we will decide what we would like to do. We have definitely decided to rent a minivan, however. I'm going to try Priceline - I have heard of people getting about $30 per day through them. Wish me luck! Thanks so much everybody!

Julie;) ;) :) :) :)

Well, we Stayed at HIFS 5 days!! There were 2 grandparents,Dd 14yr.old,Oldest Dd and 1yr.old in a crib and a High chair!!!! In one Kidsuite! :p The real crib,was in the frontroom with the pull out sofa!!

We split showers 2 at night 3 in the morning!!

There is a small Table and chairs in the Kidsuite that kids can pullout to dining ares to sit at!! Or you can eat buffet style in the livingroom using the sofa,arm chair rocker,and the kitchen chairs in the livingroom,too.:p :p

The Kidsuites have 2 bunks and a trundle bed,the sofa bed sleeps 2,and there is a King bed in the Master bedroom.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We stayed with 4 adults and 2 children in a classic suite, I wouldn't want to try it with anymoreadults and I wouldn't want to be an adult sleeping on the pull out:( I slept on it one night with ds when he was sick, and it wasn't too bad for a pull out, but I can't imagine sleeping on it night after night! There are rooms with connecting doors, and the senior rate can be used for more than one room for the group. I also wouldn't want to be there without a rental car. By the time you pay shuttle fees for each person getting to and from the airport, you are close to the cost of a rental.

I think if you could get the $49 allstar rate that would be the way to go. Get 2 connecting or adjoining rooms. You would then have 2 full bathrooms. You would not have to rent a vehicle unless you really wanted to. AND if you did drive and are Disney guests you get free parking at the parks. If mousesavers does not have that rate listed now, keep looking as things keep opening up!:)

Excuse my ingnorance, but what exactly does HIFS stand for? I assume is it Holiday Inn.....but what is the FS? We have access to free rooms at a Holiday Inn with kid suites and I wonder if this is the one. Thanks for the information!

We too are staying at HIFS in November but were given a price a little higher than the one you have. Could you tell me how you got that price? I called directly to HIFS, and requested a Kidsuite. Is yours a different room? Did you use an agency or web site?

Hope you don't mind my asking.

I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ann:eek:

The rate we got of $89 per night is the senior rate - my parents are in their sixties.
For each "decade" in age, they deduct another $10.00. My grandparents are coming
for a few days and their rate is $69 per night because they are in their eighties.

If you are over ninety years old, you stay FREE!:D

Thanks so much for your reply.

I'm happy with the rate we were quoted but you know how it is - lower is always better!!

I appreciate your help.

Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter