• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High Blood Pressure Help

disneygirl90

Earning My Ears
I am a long term poster but don't like posting medical threads under my username for privacy reasons. I am a young adult, relatively good health (slightly on the overweight side, but my cholesterol numbers are good, blood glucose is good, however I was diagnosed as prehypertensive at 16, and have monitored my bp 3x daily since that time. I was put on meds at 18 as my bp progressed to stage I hypertension even with diet/exercise.

I am now away from home with no access to my doctor. All week my bp and resting heart rate have been crazy high but I have no symptoms or anything. My last six bp readings have been 154/102, 168/99, 174/108, 176/92, 186/98, and 172/96. My resting heart rate has ranged from 99-145 beats per minute all week long, jumping into the 200s to 220s at certain times. Is this something I should be concerned about, or can I wait for now since I'm young and otherwise in relatively good health?

Yes, you should be concerned. Your heart is working overtime and needs some help to slow down and relax. You'll get that help in the ER. Good luck.

I would definitely see a doctor. As there may be underlying causes and constant high blood pressure is damaging your body.

Get to an ER now. Blood pressures that high are considered medical emergencies. Even if you are young, your heart is being damaged. Pressures that high put you at great risk of stroke, heart attack, kidney disease, etc. Ps I am no doc, just a college student who used to be pre med.

Get it checked out. I've had blood pressure problems since I was young and they always told me to get medical help if my pressure went up and stayed up. I sympathize - chronic hypertension is the pits.

By the way, if you are using the same machine to check it, the machine could be out of wack too. But there is only one way to know for sure.

I am a long term poster but don't like posting medical threads under my username for privacy reasons. I am a young adult, relatively good health (slightly on the overweight side, but my cholesterol numbers are good, blood glucose is good, however I was diagnosed as prehypertensive at 16, and have monitored my bp 3x daily since that time. I was put on meds at 18 as my bp progressed to stage I hypertension even with diet/exercise.

I am now away from home with no access to my doctor. All week my bp and resting heart rate have been crazy high but I have no symptoms or anything. My last six bp readings have been 154/102, 168/99, 174/108, 176/92, 186/98, and 172/96. My resting heart rate has ranged from 99-145 beats per minute all week long, jumping into the 200s to 220s at certain times. Is this something I should be concerned about, or can I wait for now since I'm young and otherwise in relatively good health?

No you cannot wait.

Call your doctor ASAP this morning and tell him/her what is going on and what your readings are.

Obviously, medication isn't working. I'm on two meds...Diovan and a diuretic with potassium. The combination of the two seem to keep my b/p down where it should be. B/P in your range needs attention....and needs it now!!!
Please, don't hesitate. You need medical attention. You may not have a long time to sit and think about this. Those are life-threatening numbers!!!
Go....NOW!!!

As you mention, you do not have access to a doctor at the moment. But with numbers that high it does seem that possibly something new is going on and could use evaluation by a physician. When the next chance comes up to make an appointment, it would be good to do so, I would think.

For something that you can try on your own to lower your blood pressure numbers, saw this testimonial on how someone changed their diet, plus took a few supplements, to bring about lower numbers. Thought it might be of help.

"High blood pressure vanquished"

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2011/01/high-blood-pressure-vanquished.html

excerpt from the article:

Heart Scan Blog reader, Eric, related his blood pressure success story to me:

I’m 34 and have been battling chronic hypertension (systolic 150-200, depending on my anxiety levels) even with multiple prescriptions for over a decade now. I’ve seen four different cardiologists, all stumped as to what is causing my hypertension. First, they suspected coarctation of my aorta [a constriction in the aorta], but an angiogram determined blood pressure readings were the same on both sides of the narrowing.

The second angiogram performed last year to determine if my coarct had worsened determined that it had not, but that my aorta had calcium build up. The cardiologist was stumped because he told me he hasn’t seen calcium in a patient so young. Needless to say, this scared me to death, with my wife being pregnant with our first child. I asked if it could be reversed and he didn’t know so he sent me to get a Berkeley lab.

The Berkeley came back with LDL 91, HDL 41, Triglycerides 73, CRP 4.1, vit D 26. The doctors weren’t very knowledgeable about explaining to me what these meant and how I could correct the low vit D and high CRP. They told me to follow the low-fat diet recommended by Berkeley. Well I’ve already tried the DASH diet and didn’t like how I felt or my energy levels, so I didn’t transition.

I was at a loss until I encountered your blog and it was truly a gift. It was a refreshing feeling to meet a knowledgeable Dr. who knew what I was going through and seems to truly care about reversing calcium in the heart (something I never got from my any of my cardiologists). With your blog I have an appointment to get a heart scan here in CO and take that number along with my Berkeley results and join Track Your Plaque.

For the past 2 weeks I’ve been following your advice by taking a D3+K2 supplement with Omega3 Fish oil and avoiding all grain, wheat, sugar and I’m already down 4lbs to 223.5lbs at 6’5″ tall and my blood pressure readings have been 128/54 and 129/60 the past 2 days! With your help I may not have the dark future my father had: dead at 48 with a massive heart attack.....

Ya know, I think this is a prime example of why it's so important to learn more about any medical issues one may have and to talk with your Dr about signs and warnings you should be concerned with. I'm actually pretty surprised that somebody who has been dealing with HBP for so many years is not aware when something becomes a medical emergency.
OP, call your Dr or get to a ER. You are approaching BP readings that can cause or stroke and your HR could throw you into a potentially dangerous situation.

if it involves your heart, you should be concerned. Don't mess around with that. get to a doctor ASAP.

If you feel nauseous, experience shortness of breath, have chest pains etc GET TO A HOSPITAL ASAP.

My uncle died of a massive heart attack and he was the healthiest person I know. He ignored all of the warning signs.

A man died on the ski lift last week at the ski resort where my father patrols. He, too, ignored all of the warning signs.

For the love of God, don't ignore what your body is telling you.

I hope by now you have gone to a doc or the ER, or that your numbers are better. Please keep us updated!

Finally went to the ER yesterday afternoon after feeling "off" all day (dizzy, lightheaded, couldn't catch my breath, blurred vision). When I got to the ER my bp was 210/115 and heart rate was 240 bpm. They gave me fluids, IV meds, and slowly brought everything down but admitted me and want me to stay a few days for monitoring. My pressure is much better, though. At last check it was 148/89, which is way better, heart rate is still all over the place and now I have a new diagnosis of A fib in addition to the hypertension, so great...

I'm so glad you are now getting the care you need and are well enough to update us here. :)

Finally went to the ER yesterday afternoon after feeling "off" all day (dizzy, lightheaded, couldn't catch my breath, blurred vision). When I got to the ER my bp was 210/115 and heart rate was 240 bpm. They gave me fluids, IV meds, and slowly brought everything down but admitted me and want me to stay a few days for monitoring. My pressure is much better, though. At last check it was 148/89, which is way better, heart rate is still all over the place and now I have a new diagnosis of A fib in addition to the hypertension, so great...

Sounds like either Atrial Fibrillation or Sinus Tachychadia (the racing)

Do you have a congenital defect? If you dont get this under control, it can affect numerous subsystems, like Kidneys.

How much is "slightly overweight"?

Sounds like either Atrial Fibrillation or Sinus Tachychadia (the racing)

Do you have a congenital defect? If you dont get this under control, it can affect numerous subsystems, like Kidneys.

How much is "slightly overweight"?

Yeah I was thinking that the OP could have sinus tach. I have inaporopriate sinus tach and before finding the right meds, I frequently had a resting heart rate between 175 and 200. My blood pressure would also go up when it got really bad. But for me, my blood pressure has never gone above about 140/100....but normal for me is about 80/65

Yeah I was thinking that the OP could have sinus tach. I have inaporopriate sinus tach and before finding the right meds, I frequently had a resting heart rate between 175 and 200. My blood pressure would also go up when it got really bad. But for me, my blood pressure has never gone above about 140/100....but normal for me is about 80/65

Nope, no congential defects. I am still in the hospital on various IV meds. My bp has been running in the 90-135/68-92 most of the time, but hit 198/96 late this afternoon. Heart rate is better, running in the 70-90 range most of the time but jumped to the 180-220 range again this evening. I have had an echo and a kidney ultrasound, kidneys are in good shape, but echo showed left ventricular hypertrophy, and the official dx is a fib, caused by sustained hypertension which also has caused the lvh. I now have a referral/have been set up with a gp and new cardio, who I will have to follow up with whenever I get stable and home.

OP - I don't know if this will help you, but I went through a high blood pressure crisis a few years ago. I'm also fairly young, healthy, normal weight; etc. My blood pressure shot up over 200 and I was admitted to the hospital for over a week. All the regular high blood pressure medications would bring it down somewhat, but they wouldn't get me into the normal range. I finally ended up at Cleveland Clinic where they did every imaginable test to me. They finally pinned the problem down to my kidneys. They produce too much renin. I was put on a medication medication called Tekturna. It is a renin inhibitor. My blood pressure has been normal since. I'm only mentioning this because not all doctors check the renin levels in patients, as this is not very common. You may want to ask if your renin levels have been checked.

The best advice offered is:

Take care of yourself.
Be your own advocate.
Listen to your doctors.
If something doesn't feel "right" seek advice. Maybe 2nd opinions.

You may be young, with some medical problems, but LIFE can still be greatly lived;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter