• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High Cholesterol - high blood sugar

marlasmom

DIS Veteran
The doctor just called to say I have both conditions. (See, never go for a checkup-you only hear things you don't want to hear - lol). Any recipe suggestions? Thanks.

MarlasMom - I'm sorry to hear your results. I was diagnosed with Type I at 21 and high cholesterol within the past two years. The diabetic diet is supposed to be low in fat to start with. Did the doctor give you dietary instructions? Did he put you on any medication? I don't mean to be personal, but it makes a difference which recipes I send.

No - I was very resistant. He suggested I talk to a nutritionist and I said that I knew what to do. Also said my chest x-ray had to be followed up in 6 months. I am a wreck and I appreciate your concern.

I was diagnosed with Type II 3 years ago. At first I was overweight by about 25 pounds and when I lost that I was still able to eat well - just not too much sugar. I switched from regular ice cream to no sugar added ice cream. Unfortunately, I have had to add the oral medications and just lately I have found that I must severely restrict how much of anything I eat or my sugar level is too high. I like to eat! Now before you picture me as a big person - I'm currently only 162 pounds and am 5' 9" tall. And, of course, my favorite foods have lots of fat and starch. My doctor says I should be on a 2000 calorie diet. That isn't much. My sugar has been staying close to 200 most of the time. Before recently the sugar average was more like 135. To answer your question - the fact of the matter is that it isn't so much WHAT you can eat, it is more how MUCH you can eat.

I sent you a PM. Also, to get you started check out the Apple Pie thread. I posted a no-sugar adaptation for the pie. To lower the fat, I just skip the crust. Baked apples are great!

Baked Apples

Put 1 - 3 Tbl tapioca (or flour) in an oven proof dish. Add ~ 1tsp cinnamon. Core & peel 4 - 6 apples & place in dish. Pour diet cream soda (~1/2 - 3/4 can) over apples. Sprinkle top with more cinnamon. Bake at 350 for ~20 min. Use soda with saccharin - not Equal.

Hi guys, marlasmom-I am suggesting that you see the dietician. You will be surprized on the things you WILL be able to eat. Piratesmate, I forget, do you carb count? Marlasmom, carb counting is a newer way of controling your blood sugar by your diet. Carbohydrates are what affect your blood sugar the most dramatically. It is fairly easy and flexible. Also the dietician will teach you how to label read and about portioning. I have been insulin dep for a very long time. Sometimes when my sugar is out of whack, I have to take a look at the size of the portions that I am eating. It is surprising how easy that 1/2 cup of rice can turn into 1 or more cups... ;). Anyway, I know it is scary and difficult to make changes in your life. However gaining the knowledge to help manage your health will give YOU the POWER !

Vegetable Soup
2beef shanks
6qts water
salt to taste
garlic powder
bay leaf
2 chopped onions
2 large can diced tomatoes
1 large can tomato puree
2 large potatoes- cut into bite size pieces
1/2 pound of carrots= bite size pieces
3 cans beef broth
1 small bag mixed veggies
Simmer the first 5 for about 2 hours, skim fat, remove bones and bay leaf, add the following ingredients simmer another hour or so. You can add your favorite veggies to this soup, greens, cabbage, peppers, etc. etc.

The carbs in this recipe come from the potatoes, carrots and peas- not much at all

MamaJoan - No, I don't count carbs. I was diagnosed almost 30 yrs ago & was given an old ADA diet. Since I am on a pump, I've had good control & haven't been to the hospital since they started the carb counting. My medical insurance won't pay for diabetic education - so I just use variations of the ADA. I understand it's easier to count carbs, but I've done it this way for so long, it isn't a big deal.

I believe there is a book called the 10 percent diet. Meaning only 10 percent of your diet should be fat. It is supposed to be a great diet. Good Luck to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter