• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High Fat snack food

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
I need some ideas. My grandson needs to eat a high fat snack food before bedtime in order for his medicine to stay in his system longer during the night. What are some of your ideas? My daughter came up with cashews but what else? Thanks for your help!!

Any kind of nut butter would be good. He could have it on toast, crackers or a waffle. A milk shake with full fat ice cream would work but that is also a lot of sugar. You could make a smoothie with whole milk yogurt and fruit. Grilled cheese is another option. Scrambled eggs with an extra yolk or a handful of shredded cheese. If he likes stuff like salami or pepperoni that's high in fat.

Milkshake is a good idea. That's something fun that he normally doesn't get. Waffles do have a lot of fat. My recipe is so high in fat that I don't make it but once every two years or so, LOL. Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming, please.

Make a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit, juice (or milk) and yogurt. Right at the end, blend in 2-3 Tablespoons of canola oil. I promise you, you CANNOT taste the oil (at all), and it adds a ton of calories. Perfect way to get fat in without increasing the volume of food they eat.

Nuts (or trail mix) are also excellent.

Finally, heavy whipping cream stirred into milk (2-3 Tablespoons) per glass of milk.

And, before anyone jumps all over me, this is for those people (and there are some, for a whole variety of reasons) who NEED more fat in their diet. Most people don't, but some do.

mnrose, I wouldn't jump on you as I KNOW there are people needing fat like this. My grandson was on the ketogenic diet for epilepsy and for two years practically only ate fat. Edited to thank you for your ideas. They sound great!

Granola is surprisingly high in fat. Maybe mixed with some yogurt and fruit? Cheese and pepperoni slices on buttery crackers (like ritz).

Lots of good suggestions already. A few more:

Hot chocolate made with whole milk and topped with a heavy whipped cream

Nachos

popcorn with lots of butter

cream cheese on just about anything he likes

Peanut butter is loaded with fat. A couple tablespoons washed down with some whole milk should do the trick.

If he isn't a big bedtime eater, peanut butter no-bake cookies are full of fat, but the oatmeal makes them seem healthier. Emeril Lagasse has a recipe for regular peanut butter cookies in his kid's cookbook that are just peanut butter, sugar, and egg.

We have one in our house: replace dairy with whole milk and make smoothies with coconut milk. Pudding: 2 avocados, cocoa powder, and agave nectar for sweetness is amazing!! Use almond butter in place of peanut butter, replace mayo w mashed avocado, use coconut butter and oil on your cooking. This is all good things for the household, not just grandson. These are
Super heart healthy fats. Just make sure tire not double dipping on the fats (no fast food, greasy stuff AND this!)

You guys are awesome. We have to do this on the sly. If he has any feeling this is important he will not eat it, LOL. The ketogenic really messed him up big time so this bedtime snack will not be easy.

I make a peanut butter ball with peanut butter, dry milk, wheat germ, and honey that you can roll into graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, more wheat germ or whatever. They can be frozen and defrosted in fridge as you need them. They're definitely high protein and I'd assume high fat. My kids love them!

These are no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars. The recipe has 2 cups of peanut butter and 1.5 sticks of butter in it.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32005/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-bars/detail.aspx

32005lrg.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter