• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High levels of lead exposure found at Disneyland

Unless the kids are going around licking door knobs this is just an over reaction to scare parents. Then I'd be more concerned on them licking it for the yuck factor than the lead.

I believe California's lead limits are very stringent, so I have no idea if 5 times the California limit is really reason for concern or not.

Still, note to self. Do not lick any windows at Disneyland.

I believe California's lead limits are very stringent, so I have no idea if 5 times the California limit is really reason for concern or not.

:crazy2: :rotfl2:

I think the whole thing is ridiculous and I laughed reading the article lol. I doubt one to even FIVE days at Disneyland is going to hurt someone. How many people go to Disneyland almost every day and still don't have issues lol

You mean I have to stop licking the door knobs??? What will I do for fun now?

This reminds me of Tommy Boy, "Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?" :happytv:

I was just gonna say, well now I know why I don't like my kids to lick the railings..OH WAIT. That's just cuz they're NASTY.

Way more concerned about them licking it for the goo on everyone's bathroom hands. I'm lookin at YOU. You know who you are, person who doesn't wash hands after they use it. *glare*

I always get these things that say stuff like "this is not up to code in California". My Christmas lights are gonna kill me some day.

So while I'm not concerned, or shocked, this thread was a good pick me up this morning. I needed it.

OP, don't feel too bad about the ribbing. I'm pretty sure SOMEONE is going to be horrified by this. But DL is old enough that lead paint is EVERYWHERE in there. haha

From the article:

Mateel's court injuction was being filed just a few days before National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week, which aims at educating the public about lead exposure risks, which include harm to the nervous and reproductive systems, cognitive and behavorial changes and increase risk for certain cancers.

Mateel, which is based in Humboldt County, held a news conference outside of Disneyland’s main gate Tuesday. The group has encouraged visitors to the park to keep their hands off stained glass windows and brass items.

Gosh! Sounds like a lot of grandstanding! What timing. :rolleyes1

I'm curious what type of pads the investigator used for the swipe tests? Did the pads provide the same amount of 'grit' as human fingers? Or is the texture rougher (like a Stridex pad), promoting sloughing of surface metals at a much higher amount than human hands? If it was rougher, the pads would pick up a lot more lead than fingers could. Or tongues could! :lmao:

I always get these things that say stuff like "this is not up to code in California". My Christmas lights are gonna kill me some day.

Good point.

I have read that on numerous items I have purchased over the years and I would think California would be all over Disneyland if they didn't meet their standards.

Maybe the parks will be less crowded?!?!

Besides, if something is going to kill me, I hope it would be Disneyland!!!

Just about every decorative knick knack worth anything (you know the ones you register for at your wedding ;) ) has lead in them with a Prop 65 lead warning not to use for serving food or eating off of. They just need to put Prop 65 stickers on the door knobs. :rotfl2:

Maybe the parks will be less crowded?!?!

Besides, if something is going to kill me, I hope it would be Disneyland!!!

This:thumbsup2 Sorry OP, I'm not worried about a little lead in DL. Getting there is far more hazardous to my health. I5 can be scary.

Not really worried about lead at Disneyland, but I am surprised that Disney hasn't protected themselves against this claim. Posting a few signs would probably take care of their liability and Disney has one of the best legal departments on the planet. So I am guessing they have their own lead analysis which shows lower exposure or they have some other protection.

I have seen the signs mentioned in the article about mercury levels in fish. So it is kinda weird they have that sign (which as far as I know is not required) and not the Prop 65 warning sign.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I used to have one of those cardboard windshield covers to keep the sun out of your car...they're now made out of some other material, but you unfold it and put it in the windshield when you park. Well, in large WARNING letters it told me "Danger: do not drive while protector is in place on the windshield".

Sometimes we go just a little overboard with our caution.

The thing that came to mind when I read this is that someone will initiate a class-action lawsuit or something and sue DLR for lead exposure. Then all of the windows and brass will be replaced with nice plastic and non-harmful materials and we'll all get to pay more.

The thing that came to mind when I read this is that someone will initiate a class-action lawsuit or something and sue DLR for lead exposure. Then all of the windows and brass will be replaced with nice plastic and non-harmful materials and we'll all get to pay more.

Only if it is BPA free plastic!! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter