High School Science Project Ideas Please

NinaBella

DIS Veteran
So far my son's teacher has turned down the ideas he submitted for approval. We are at a standstill and he has to submit for approval tomorrow. Any suggestions? This is for a honors level class. My son said this teacher placed 2nd in some National Science Fair and is super picky.

We have used google trying to find ideas but no luck yet. The teacher said it has to be a real world problem, nothing like mold on bread, etc.

So far my son's teacher has turned down the ideas he submitted for approval. We are at a standstill and he has to submit for approval tomorrow. Any suggestions? This is for a honors level class. My son said this teacher placed 2nd in some National Science Fair and is super picky.

We have used google trying to find ideas but no luck yet. The teacher said it has to be a real world problem, nothing like mold on bread, etc.

-Something that utilizes natural power to charge electronic devices? Like a cheap homemade solar or wind charger that could be used during natural disasters and power outages?

-A home made solar oven that can be used to safely cook without power or fuel.

- Purifying rain water for safe drinking and cooking

- Do natural cures work better than antibiotics for bacteria ? ( put some strep on petri dishes, treat some with modern antibiotics, others with homepathic methods like essential oils, garlic, elderberry tincture, etc.)

What has the teacher not liked about the ideas? Our teacher is very particular that it needs to have a clear testable hypothesis. She was skeptical at first when my son wanted to do computer programming, but he figured out a way to do a testable hypothesis for machine learning. And it's a legit category in our state science fair so he's off doing that (and I don't have any weird things growing in my house as a bonus!).

-Something that utilizes natural power to charge electronic devices? Like a cheap homemade solar or wind charger that could be used during natural disasters and power outages?

-A home made solar oven that can be used to safely cook without power or fuel.

- Purifying rain water for safe drinking and cooking

- Do natural cures work better than antibiotics for bacteria ? ( put some strep on petri dishes, treat some with modern antibiotics, others with homepathic methods like essential oils, garlic, elderberry tincture, etc.)

For a high school honors science class? These are more grade school level.

OP, your son needs to speak with his teacher.

For a high school honors science class? These are more grade school level.

OP, your son needs to speak with his teacher.

IDK, my high school didn't have honors level classes or science fairs, I have no idea what they're looking for. They just sounded like useful science projects.

Many moons ago in high school we didn't have science fair, but we did have to do a big project and report. I remember it was when Crystal Pepsi had just come out so I did some taste tests with all the homerooms to explore the impact of the visual of the clear on the perceived taste and preference. Is that honors high school worthy anymore? No idea, but it did get an A in an honors class ages ago.

He could look at extracting DNA from varying types of fruits (using the same amount in grams), some being more acidic than others (a general bio lab is extracting DNA from strawberries). What you'd assume is that the most acidic fruits would be less likely to give more DNA because of degradation. I'd take a look at AP bio labs and try to get an idea of things he could do.

Another important thing for him to remember is that a good science experiment doesn't always prove what they want it to. What's important is that the person can say where else to go with the experiment, relate it back to the real world or current events.

I would go the alternative energy route, especially solar. How can we make it more efficient?

Thanks for the suggestion. I researched a few online, but he came up with another idea on his own. Its Saturday morning and I didn't see him yesterday (dad took him to hockey game and I left work straight to high school game as DD cheers) so I need to ask him if he found out if the new idea was accepted. He should have received an answer yesterday.

He is in 10th grade and the class is Biology I Honors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter