High Speed Rail to Dover

most of the taxi quotes I get from central london are in the 180-220 range -- we need an MPV that can seat at least 5 with 5 pieces of luggage plus 5 backpacks.
Now that's the figures I get, personally I would say train, taxi is very expensive plus can get caught in motorway traffic and if operation stack is in force on M20 re issues on the channels crossings like French strikes that occur with little warning. UK a warning on a strike has to take place.

I've also looked into taxi service. Blackberry taxis is 120£ from central London to Dover port. Something else to consider.
MPV £140/£160, I can't see anyone getting cruise luggage for four in an UK Estate unless travel very very very light. They do have a TFL licence, I suspect they will have add ons.

MPV £140/£160, I can't see anyone getting cruise luggage for four in an UK Estate unless travel very very very light. They do have a TFL licence, I suspect they will have add ons.
Our service has the 6 of us in a Mercedes Viano. They say that we should be good for 6 people and 9 mixed size bags...

We travel light. I Never take more than me and my 2 kids can manage ourselves. My husband always fly's in later than us with no bags. We will most likely take the train.

We are definitely taking the train for the experience. Now coming back, I'm still trying to figure out. Do I go super safe and easy with Disney transportation to Heathrow that will cost me 375 USD, or book a car back to Heathrow for 185GBP?

Any thoughts on that? Our flight leaves at 4:30, so I'm pretty good on time.

Ok so please be aware that on the 29th there will be a protest in Dover.
Because the protest is held by extremist anti immigration groups they have not told yet where or when exactly they would protest.
Kent police has issued a warning and I called Dover port authority for more information.

Right now they just don't know as the previous protests turned into a riot. They will update a Facebook and Twitter feed with more info.

I will let you know if I can find out more.

We are definitely taking the train for the experience. Now coming back, I'm still trying to figure out. Do I go super safe and easy with Disney transportation to Heathrow that will cost me 375 USD, or book a car back to Heathrow for 185GBP?

Cars are held in an area lower down the pier. DCL transport gets priority. I would normally say private car, but you may have a wait and extra charge.

Premier Inn came out with some pretty good saver rates at select locations. I don't normally book nonrefundable hotel rooms, but the savings was pretty significant. I ended up booking the new Premier inn Aldgate. It' a 10 minute walk from the tower of London and seems to be pretty close to everything. It' was 90.00 pounds per night.

I think I'm going to copy your plan and take the high speed from St Pancras to Folkestone and get a taxi. That seems like a better plan then taking a bus then a taxi.
I always like to save money so I would probably take the car back. I think even grabbing a cab at the port would be less than DCL transfers.

ok....help me wrap my head around this. I am booked on the 9:37 am Southeastern train that was originally 1 hr and 4 minutes in duration. Now it shows the detour through Folkstone West to a bus. Questions....am I still on a high speed train to Folkestone? Will my old ticket still be honored at the station?

My sister is on the Fjords cruise on 29 May and lives near Dover. She is advising people NOT to book the high speed train as it has a bus replacement service which is a pain in the backside at best!
Just go from London Victoria, it really doesn't take that much longer .. We're not talking Japanese bullet trains for the High Speed ok, it's just a little faster on some of the route, not even all of it!
Taxi from Folkestone to the Dover port is going to be around £20.

For the return journey to Heathrow, look at National Express, a bus service that is relatively cheap. Or, just get on the train again, although I wouldn't fancy traipsing around London with my luggage, it's bad enough as a commuter with my laptop bag!!

ok....help me wrap my head around this. I am booked on the 9:37 am Southeastern train that was originally 1 hr and 4 minutes in duration. Now it shows the detour through Folkstone West to a bus. Questions....am I still on a high speed train to Folkestone? Will my old ticket still be honored at the station?

Your Southeastern ticket is valid all the way to Dover, whether it's by train or replacement bus service. Your ticket is valid on ANY train doing that journey after a certain time normally, although a weekend should be all times.
I would get a cab from Folkestone though, unless you are not in a rush.

My sister is on the Fjords cruise on 29 May and lives near Dover. She is advising people NOT to book the high speed train as it has a bus replacement service which is a pain in the backside at best!
Just go from London Victoria, it really doesn't take that much longer .. We're not talking Japanese bullet trains for the High Speed ok, it's just a little faster on some of the route, not even all of it!
Taxi from Folkestone to the Dover port is going to be around £20.

For the return journey to Heathrow, look at National Express, a bus service that is relatively cheap. Or, just get on the train again, although I wouldn't fancy traipsing around London with my luggage, it's bad enough as a commuter with my laptop bag!!
Are you saying you wouldn't recommend the train with luggage.

Are you saying you wouldn't recommend the train with luggage.
If it was one train all the way through to Heathrow, no bother. But it wouldn't be .. You need to go on the Tube (subway) to move across London and that's not easy with luggage.

If you're going from St Pancras on the 'high' speed, just get a cab from Folkestone to the cruise terminal. On the way back, look at a private car service. Just my preference.

If it was one train all the way through to Heathrow, no bother. But it wouldn't be .. You need to go on the Tube (subway) to move across London and that's not easy with luggage.

If you're going from St Pancras on the 'high' speed, just get a cab from Folkestone to the cruise terminal. On the way back, look at a private car service. Just my preference.
I won't be traveling from Heathrow. We are staying in London for a few days. I plan on taking a taxi to the train station.

I won't be traveling from Heathrow. We are staying in London for a few days. I plan on taking a taxi to the train station.
My apologies, someone earlier asked about getting back to Heathrow.

When you get to St Pancras, if Kings Cross is on your right, enter the glass doors and immediately turn right towards Marks and Spencer. Go up the escalators opposite M&S, that's where Southeastern are (there are multiple train companies in St Pancras). When you get upstairs, you'll also see the Eurostar trains that go to Paris and beyond behind the big fence. Don't follow signs for Eurostar though as its a completely different part of the station.

Don't forget that if you're a Harry Snotter (Potter) fan, Platform 9 3/4 is in Kings Cross station opposite along with a HP shop. There is always a queue for the photo op (a luggage trolley, sign and scarf) so give yourself an extra 30-40 mins if you want to see it.

I would say I personally would never recommend National Express, the only benefit is it's cheap. It starts at Dover ferry port, not the cruise port, so can be full already. There isn't a stop at the cruise port. Then it has a considerable number of stops into central London and Victoria. Private taxis / DCL coaches will stick to the motorways ( freeways) and avoid going into and being caught in London traffic.

National express is for students and cheap travel, with light luggage, with cruise luggage transferring that out if the port then finding the limited luggage space already gone, it would be a terrible end to the cruise IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter