• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hiking boots/shoes recommendations

ProudSoccerMom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking your recommendations on a hiking boot or shoe. Something that can withstand a variety of terrain - rocky, smooth rock face, forest. Ideally, it should be waterproof. I'm a runner and have occasional achilles and heal pain, so something supportive, if possible. Thank you for your help!

This is my very favorite hiking shoe. I had a pair for several years, but they finally wore out so I just bought a new pair for my hiking vacation next month. I have used them for all of the terrain you mention, plus walking endless miles around Disney. I find them to be the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. It also comes in a boot version, if you are interested in ankle support.

https://www.rei.com/product/888922/salomon-x-ultra-low-ii-gtx-hiking-shoes-womens

ETA: DH has the men's version of this shoe and he wears them as his everyday shoes outside work. He also thinks they are the most comfortable shoes he has ever owned. Very high quality. DH has had his for several years now and isn't ready for a new pair yet.

Last edited:
There are several good brands, including the Salomon and Merrell listed above, but shoes are something you really need to go to a store and try out. We are REI members so that is where I usually go first. The sales people are often helpful and they have a rock so you can practice going downhill, etc. There is also an LL Bean store near me. I need higher boots because I have ankle issues, my kids like the lower shoes.

There are several good brands, including the Salomon and Merrell listed above, but shoes are something you really need to go to a store and try out. We are REI members so that is where I usually go first. The sales people are often helpful and they have a rock so you can practice going downhill, etc. There is also an LL Bean store near me. I need higher boots because I have ankle issues, my kids like the lower shoes.

I agree about trying shoes on in person. I would also recommend REI for your purchase. Many years ago, when I first got the Salomon shoes that I linked, I had actually purchased a different shoe first. I wore them around for a week and they were just killing my feet. I took them back to REI and they gave me a full refund and helped me pick out the Salomon shoes instead. Wonderful customer service and a very generous return policy has made this my go to place for outdoors equipment.

REI is great. We have used them several times. You may need more than one pair of shoes depending on the terrain where you are going. A good shoe salesman at REI can discuss this with you and make recommendations regarding the support you need - high top versus low, etc.

Dh and I both have Merrell Moab low hiking shoes. He finds them comfortable, but I had to put an insert in mine because after wearing them all day my heels did start to bother me. The insert has made a big difference though.
I have had these for years, they are my most worn shoes. I wear them camping, hiking and pretty much the entire fall season. I did want a hiking boot for more rugged trails so I went with a Keen one. It has a little more arch support and its lighter than the Merrell shoe. I haven't worn them yet so I can't comment on how I like them for hiking.

I would just go to a store that carries a good variety and try them all, and walk around for as long as you can. When I first got my Merrell's they were great in the store. It took a day of hiking in them to realize I needed a bit more cush and support.

I have a pair of keen sneaker/shoes- they're an older model, (yes with the dorky but comfortable round wide toebox) made of leather....and super great arch support- I've been wearing them hiking for at least 8 years now,and they're still in great shape. I like Keens insoles,and I would never buy shoes without trying them on, my feet are VERY picky!:rotfl2: granted,I don't hike the backcountry usually, but regular old day hikes,I love them.

I don't have a large place to try on around me. I ordered a number of choices from Amazon with the free returns and tried them on here. Kept trying on lil I found the perfect pair. ended up with Keen shoes; waterproof hikers, not boots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter