Hilton Head 101

Brancaneve

That means Snow White in another language.
We live in Northern California and are planning our 6th trip to Disney World in 2019. We would love to take a drive up to Hilton Head and explore the surrounding areas, especially Savannah. The problem is....I don´t know anything at all about the Hilton Head resort. Please give me a few basic pieces of information that will enhance our trip. Thank you in advance!

What are you interested in? It is a relatively small resort, but with lots of trees, so it doesn't feel small. The resort is on a marsh, with a shuttle over to the Beach House at the Ocean, about a mile away. Pool, hot tub, quick serve, but no sit down restaurant on property. That's OK, though, because there are MANY restaurants within a few miles or even within walking distance.

LOVE the Hilton Head resort and can’t wait to go back! Went there once and added on because it is really hard to get in there in the summer if you don’t own there. Savannah is about 45 minutes from there and is beautiful. Tons to do...sightseeing trollys, haunted house tours etc. Not sure what month you are planning on but it is hot as Hades in the summer months!! Savannah is well worth the drive IMO

Thank you for the information! We are planning on going in early June but it sounds like that may be difficult based on what Cindyel wrote above. Good to know!
It sounds like we will need to wake up really early in CA to book the resort at 7 months.

Does the resort provide bikes to rent? As a family we enjoy biking and hiking and we enjoy going out to eat.

We are going to HHI for the 2nd time in 2 weeks.

I get a lot of information from searching thes boards. And researching on the web. I also look at as many photos and maps of the area to get acquainted before I go somewhere.

The resort is located in the Shelter Cove area. The resort sits on the marina and across the marina there are condos, stores and restaurants. The resort has many activities planned. But at the marina you can rent kayaks, paddle boards and boats.

There are two shopping centers close by in the Shelter Cove area. There is a Kroger grocery store and a Whole Foods. There is also the beautiful Shelter Cove Marina Park in the same area.

The Disney Beach House is located about a mile awayin th Palmetto Dunes area, it is accessible by bike, a resort shuttle or your own car. The beach house has a pool, a bar and a quick service restaurant. There is also Billiard table And ping-pong table. The pool is set up with a volleyball net. There also is a clubhouse type of room, which is probably used a lot in the off-season. You can play games in there or just hang out in your book it’s very nice. The beaches are wide and you able to ride bikes along the beach.

Hilton head is made up of different plantation and resort areas. Eg. Shelter Cove and Palmetto Dunes. The southern end of the island is called the Sea Pines Plantation. There is a six dollar fee for cars and a $1 for bikes to enter this pisland. Here is where you’ll find Harbour Town and the South Beach area. Harbour Town has the Lighthous, large Marina and shopping area, very nice.
South Beach is where you will find the Salty Dog complex with a marina, shopping and of course the famous, th Salty Dog restaurant.

There is so much to do on th island. I am sure others will chime in with ideas.

9E351C19-B4E0-4BC8-ADD7-184718CDC40D.jpeg

D1E3290F-DADD-445C-A471-90F810D0061B.jpeg

Bike paths. Disney is located middle top by photos of girl on bike. And Beach House bottom middle to left of photo of guy with fish.

E7521F0B-6156-4B8D-AC97-2EA33A400A5B.jpeg

Disney is the area in light green to the left where it says Shelter Cove Hoarbour & Marina.

484EA121-0C0B-43C5-A1E5-8751F1E6467A.jpeg

Number 15 to left is Disney. #27 is the Kroger Super Market and #31 is the Whole Foods.

For som reason I could not list all show all these photos on my oringinal post. I have been collecting this info for our upcoming trip.

There is also, mini golf/putt putt, nature stuff, boating, whale watching etc. lots to do or do nothing. You can just lounge by th pool or beach. Or in one of the many hammocks around the resort.

Good luck with your planning. I hope this information is helpful

Brilliant thread. I came here searching for HHI for our first visit next month and I find all this great info, exactly what I needed.

Anyone have any restaurant recommendations?

Thanks

You’ll probably get lots of recommendations here. We love Black Marlin, Sea Shack, Skull Creek Boathouse, Old Oyster Factory, Kenny B’s to name a few.

There is also, mini golf/putt putt, nature stuff, boating, whale watching etc. lots to do or do nothing. You can just lounge by th pool or beach. Or in one of the many hammocks around the resort.

I suspect the whale watching might make for a long day and still never see one, but dolphin watching may be accomplished from many of the DVC resort villas as well as a number of easily scheduled charter trips. ;)

Brilliant thread. I came here searching for HHI for our first visit next month and I find all this great info, exactly what I needed.

Anyone have any restaurant recommendations?

Thanks

Within a short walk are Scott's Fishmarket, Bistro 17, La Fontana, San Miguel's, and ELAs which are all around Shelter Cover Harbour with a view of the resort while you dine. Poseidon's is behind the Kroger store, Giuseppi's is also near Kroger.

There are many more within a short drive from the resort including Alexander's, Red Fish, Southwest Grille. One of our favorites is Old Fort Pub (located in Hilton Head Plantation) but HH has about 300 restaurants so there is truly something for everyone.

Enjoy your trip! :)

We are going to HHI for the 2nd time in 2 weeks.

I get a lot of information from searching thes boards. And researching on the web. I also look at as many photos and maps of the area to get acquainted before I go somewhere.

The resort is located in the Shelter Cove area. The resort sits on the marina and across the marina there are condos, stores and restaurants. The resort has many activities planned. But at the marina you can rent kayaks, paddle boards and boats.

There are two shopping centers close by in the Shelter Cove area. There is a Kroger grocery store and a Whole Foods. There is also the beautiful Shelter Cove Marina Park in the same area.

The Disney Beach House is located about a mile awayin th Palmetto Dunes area, it is accessible by bike, a resort shuttle or your own car. The beach house has a pool, a bar and a quick service restaurant. There is also Billiard table And ping-pong table. The pool is set up with a volleyball net. There also is a clubhouse type of room, which is probably used a lot in the off-season. You can play games in there or just hang out in your book it’s very nice. The beaches are wide and you able to ride bikes along the beach.

Hilton head is made up of different plantation and resort areas. Eg. Shelter Cove and Palmetto Dunes. The southern end of the island is called the Sea Pines Plantation. There is a six dollar fee for cars and a $1 for bikes to enter this pisland. Here is where you’ll find Harbour Town and the South Beach area. Harbour Town has the Lighthous, large Marina and shopping area, very nice.
South Beach is where you will find the Salty Dog complex with a marina, shopping and of course the famous, th Salty Dog restaurant.

There is so much to do on th island. I am sure others will chime in with ideas.

View attachment 340349
Hi I was there not to long ago and loved the hammocks, any chance you could take a look and let me know what brand they are? Thinking about getting one for my wives birthday... Thanks

Hi I was there not to long ago and loved the hammocks, any chance you could take a look and let me know what brand they are? Thinking about getting one for my wives birthday... Thanks

I will try to remember for you to take a photo.

As others have noted, HHI is a great resort for relaxation--a totally different vibe than WDW. If you're going in June, you may very well have a tough time getting booked there. Once late mid to late May hits, and all the way through Labor Day, it's extremely chancy to get into HHI. Best of luck to you! That being said, HHI offers a laid back feel: biking the well-linked and extensive pathways, kayaking, fishing, golfing, beach going, and eating. The shuttle to Disney's Beach House runs about every 20 minutes and is a great benefit. You can bike (or walk) to the Beach House, as well, but it's right at 1.5 miles--no big deal except you'll have to haul your stuff (chairs and umbrellas can be rented at the beach). So many great places to eat, as well. We've had the most success at Skull Creek Boathouse (SCB) which is not the same as the new Skull Creek Dockside which used to be The Charthouse. Though owned by the same group as SCB, Dockside has slower service, not as good of menu selections, and just didn't do much for us. We also have enjoyed Hudson's (though last time was a bit of a disappointment), Fish Camp on Broad Creek, and for Italian, OMBRA Cucina. However, there are literally dozens of great places to dine in HHI, and as someone said, a couple are right over the marina from the Disney resort. You probably know this already, but just in case you don't, HHI is a good 5+ hour drive from WDW. Have fun planning!

If by chance u don't get HH at 7 mos out look into renting a townhouse/villa in the Palmetto Dunes area. We've found with a large family DVc HH wasn't a good value for the points. We rent our points and get the cash to rent a 3 br villa when the amount of points would have only gotten us a 2 BR at DVC HH. We've rented in Queens Grant on the golf course 5 mins bike ride or 10-15 min walk to Dunes beach. Beautiful area and everyone bike rides all over!

If by chance u don't get HH at 7 mos out look into renting a townhouse/villa in the Palmetto Dunes area. We've found with a large family DVc HH wasn't a good value for the points. We rent our points and get the cash to rent a 3 br villa when the amount of points would have only gotten us a 2 BR at DVC HH. We've rented in Queens Grant on the golf course 5 mins bike ride or 10-15 min walk to Dunes beach. Beautiful area and everyone bike rides all over!
Yes, entirely agree. We did just that last month, and the convenience to the beach, the size of the accommodations (we did a 1BR condo with full kitchen), and the nearby pool (1 minute walk) made this a great option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter