hilton head thoughts....

jodyluvsdisney

Mouseketeer
dear friends... we just returned from a MOSTLY wonderful hilton head island dvc stay in a grand villa from august 7th - 12th and i wanted to post a few thoughts. first of all, hilton head is extremely special to us, we are partial to its low country mystique and southern charm, the sea pines, the marsh grass, the incredible beauty of the beach but most of all the friendly cast mates at the resort and the happy memories they've helped to create for us over the years in our many stays in various 2 bedroom villas.
this trip.. we decided to spend a few days before our dvc stay checking out bluffton, and beaufort and savannah as we may want to relocate eventually and we liked the idea of exploring these places before our dvc stay so we wouldnt be leaving the place we love most in the world to leave for day trips to other less important endeavors. we stayed in savannah just long enough for a wonderful southern buffet lunch at the lady and sons and to check out the thomas kinkade art gallery at the city market before heading over to bluffton to stay at the holiday inn express at kitties crossing (corner of 278 and 46) which i must say was really wonderful. clean, great breakfast, new, excellent rate for a huge 2 queen bed suite. we enjoyed using this as a point to head out to check out some off island sites. when the long awaited day to check in at disney, we headed over at 730 am and were spoiled with an immediate access to grand villa 1822 which was our first request. how lucky and grateful we are to tommy and jenna at the front desk who were so helpful and kind with assignment and checkin. we were meeting up with my sisters family this time for a summer reunion and couldnt wait to get started having fun. we rented bikes from a lovely and patient gentleman in the rec area/bike barn, enjoyed b'lou crabbe as we always do with his charm and talent, met fantastically friendly and informative sam at tide me over and all was great.
however... and it is a big however...
i was pretty surprised at the masses of palmetto bugs we encountered all over the island, yes at the pool deck during the teen party, yes at 2 local restaurants, yes on the outside of our villa and YES on the INSIDE of our grand villa as well.
we called down after we caught the first one running up my daughters leg :earseek: in one of the upstairs bedrooms and put it outside and the folks at the desk were so apologetic and sent someone to spray the next day. i know how hard they are trying and it is a fact of life to have bugs in the south. the next day though, it was not fun to have another one in the bedroom AGAIN and the third day on my sons pillow on the livingroom sofa couch.this one i collected after it was killed and put it in a cup to bring down to the lodge to say i think we need some further attention/spraying etc. they did send someone down that evening to spray again after calling a second time. im not sure how i felt about all that spraying/pesticide while we were residing in the villa with children but we didnt know what else to do.
in fairness, mr. paul hart and elyse were lovely to talk to, tried to help, and are a credit to the resort as management. but, i have to say... i was embarassed in front of my sister as guests of ours, and the whole "feel" of the room felt compromised and just sort of gross after all that. we dont do roaches at my home in new york, and i dont hope to splurge on a grand villas worth of points and pay more than 1000 dollars for our hilton head points a year in dues to end up with roaches on my childrens leg and pillow.
i dont want to cause any trouble for the fine folks at disneys hhi resort. but at the same time.... it was pretty disappointing to contend with this. we tried to make the best of it but im pretty annoyed that this happened 3 times (BTW, we never kept the doors open at ALL when we used the deck ). i think we are grateful for the fact that the weather was pretty good, and that we managed to have some good sports in our party. anyways... we also found a couple of great casual and fresh tasting restaurants... "moes south west grill" in bluffton on 278 and at park plaza by harris teeter. we also thought "the mellow mushrooms" tofu and avacado and tempeh subs were delicious for the vegetarians amidst our group of 9. we loved "the shell shop" as we usually do at coligny plaza and carolina charms, tail waggers gourmet pet shop and del sol there as well.
anyways... all in all... visiting with family was great, the island is beautiful, the resort and the villa were so well maintaned EXCEPT for the multiple days of living with those darn roaches. :confused3 i hope the rest of you have better luck with this or more success in relaying how palmetto bugs/roaches joining you compromises the comfort level/magic one feels in their home away from home if it does.

Palmetto bugs, or roaches, would gross me out too. I think if they were still there after spraying, the infestation must be BAD. Yuck. I'm glad you were able to make the best of your trip though. :)

The roaches are gross, but they are a way of life for the area---kind of like the humidity. When it rains a lot, they come in. When it's too dry, they come in. It doesn't matter how new or old your house is, how high off the ground it is, you will find them. They live in the walls and procreate. Remember the old nuclear tests in the Pacific? No life was expected to be found, but there were the cockroaches! Some years are worse than others and this has been a bad year for us too. Pest control comes monthly, so you find them in varying stages of very lively, to flat on their backs half dead, depending on what time of month it is. The best way I found to get rid of them is via the vacuum cleaner---grab the hose out and suck them up (but I'm not sure the DVC vacs are built this way). Finally, we have a standing truce in the kitchen---during the day it belongs to me, but at night I stay out of there; this has helped a lot to curtail my night time munching!

Glad the rest of your trip was nice---enjoyed reading your trip report. :earsboy:

Wow, I consider my family lucky then since we were at HH the same week. We were in a villa in the main building and I didnt see one bug the whole time we were there. I even noticed a crack of light shining under our door at night and wondered if bugs could get in that way, but we didnt see them.
And I didnt notice any around the grounds either, and I am glad because I hate those palmetto bugs and would have freaked out! :earseek:

They are a way of life in many warm areas including the South and HI. I remember walking through a doorway in HI at about 3:30 am when I'd slept about 8 hours in the preceding 7 days and seeing one on the floor. I started thinking if I had 2 of them, I could ride them all the way down the hall.

May need to reconsider relocating down south. As many have already mentioned, these bugs come with the territory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter