HO-HO-HO..We`ll put the RUM in Pa-Rum-Pum-Pum-Pum! 16 holiday nights at SF & RPR. A Nov/Dec 2023 Trip Report

I didn`t realise you have only been that time of year! How`d I miss that!! 🤔

We were still there in Nov 2010...it was baltic when we stepped out on our last day, Virgin did check in and bag drop at Downtown Disney back then, so we went around 8am and all the staff had coats, gloves and hats on....we had thin tops on!!!

December 2018 we had one freezing cold day, it was low 40`s but the wind was bitter, we walked out the hotel to go to the park and I immediately turned and came back inside lol......

Nov/Dec 2021 we had high 80`s every day, it was bliss!!

So yes, you`ve certainly seen it all for that time of year......well, here`s hoping this year is another hot one, but guaranteed for both our families it`ll still be warmer than back home regardless of what it is in Florida!!

Getting closer for both of us!!!
6 weeks from this very moment we will be pulling up at RPR!! Providing there are no delay lol.

it’s a direct flight so that decreases the likelihood of any delays.

We had unusual December weather last year. It was overcast a lot of the days. It didn’t rain that much, but always cloud cover. Temps were ok, not hot, but not cold either.

my gut is telling me it will be great weather this year.

6 weeks from this very moment we will be pulling up at RPR!! Providing there are no delay lol.

it’s a direct flight so that decreases the likelihood of any delays.

We had unusual December weather last year. It was overcast a lot of the days. It didn’t rain that much, but always cloud cover. Temps were ok, not hot, but not cold either.

Woohooo!!!

I`ll go with the gut every time, I find it`s rarely wrong .......direct flights are the way to go, we know some folks who go to Orlando indirect, sometimes it adds 4-5 hours with a stopover. I don`t understand as they don`t save a great deal of money.

Convenience over money everytime for us! It`s a long enough flight to begin with!!

How long is your flight from home?

I also need to learn how to pronounce where you come from ☺️

i-LSsdN3d-Th.gif

Usually after the parade we tend to wander over to IOA for the Castle Christmas Light show which is beautiful to see and glad to see they have finally announced it will be back on for the Holidays. The Castle has been dark for most of the year and it`s so good to know we`ll see it again this year.

I have to admit to being ambivalent about the regular Castle Light Show, but the Christmas show is beautiful.

And of course walking through IOA at night is gorgeous and even better with the Christmas lights adorning all the buildings.

i-bPdn9sC-X2.jpg

i-CJW9PGb-X2.jpg

i-KkqqJmq-X2.jpg

The Christmas store looking even more festive.... :santa:

i-fpB8ZCm-X2.jpg

i-5kfVZW2-X2.jpg

Walking into Seuss Landing at night is like walking in a twinkly little village, already colourful, with the addition of the Christmas lights and ornaments, the place just shines.

i-Pj2JXHm-X2.jpg

i-Fgw82Qq-X2.jpg

And of course Hogsmeade.

It is very reminiscent of an Olde Worlde English village with the crooked chimneys and traditional stone buildings, it screams quintessentially Christmas at me.

i-9SqwNjQ-X2.jpg

i-rGJZK7m-X2.jpg

i-GSNLK8V-X2.jpg

The Castle Light show begins from dusk till closing and lasts around 15 minutes, it does get extremely busy, especially the earlier shows. It is standing room only for the show and can be very crowded in front of the Castle.

We did have one person lay down in front of us one year and have a snooze!!! Crazy as no-one could really see them until the practically tripped over him!!

The later shows on certain nights are a lot quieter, but no guarantees on weekends and specific dates in the Holidays.

But it is absolutely worth taking the time to go and see the show if you`re in the parks later in the evening. The music for the show compliments the lighting and fireworks, although there aren`t a lot of fireworks, like most things Universal, it`s just understated enough.

i-33Z4H5z-X2.jpg

i-v2bKhLx-X2.jpg

i-VkkqbW4-X2.jpg

i-PDxmq8r-X2.jpg

i-kRRTMjX-X2.jpg

i-bq83k6H-X2.jpg

i-NSFJJ9J-X2.jpg

i-tchv4bk-X2.jpg

i-dswKdrp-X2.jpg

i-67HVJd5-X2.jpg

It does get crowded when leaving the show, so we tend to take our time if we can and wander slowly back out of the park.

i-4QMBSM5-X2.jpg

I know I always say several things are "favourites" but it`s true, there are so many lovely and festive experiences to enjoy over the Holiday season and the Castle Light Show is up there with the best of them.

cv62-S.jpg

Woohooo!!!

I`ll go with the gut every time, I find it`s rarely wrong .......direct flights are the way to go, we know some folks who go to Orlando indirect, sometimes it adds 4-5 hours with a stopover. I don`t understand as they don`t save a great deal of money.

Convenience over money everytime for us! It`s a long enough flight to begin with!!

How long is your flight from home?

I also need to learn how to pronounce where you come from ☺️

It’s a 5 hour flight. Or as I like to call it a 2 movie flight! 🤣

We pre clear customs here so when we get off the plane in Orlando it’s straight to the baggage claim. We are flying Premium so our bags come off the plane first. It’s such a great feeling when we arrive knowing its a quick stress free process and we are on our way to RPR.

It’s a 5 hour flight. Or as I like to call it a 2 movie flight! 🤣

We pre clear customs here so when we get off the plane in Orlando it’s straight to the baggage claim. We are flying Premium so our bags come off the plane first. It’s such a great feeling when we arrive knowing its a quick stress free process and we are on our way to RPR.

Oh that`s still quite a decent flight isn`t it, yes it makes a difference flying Premium, we`ll have to slum it on the flight out this year.....lol......but good thing is being at the exit we get out just after Premium.

There`s nothing quite like getting to the hotel after a flight......cocktails await for sure......🍹

Yes, I agree it is a little early for Jingle Bells and all that comes with those felicitations, but we are almost at the 8 weeks mark till our trip and there`s nothing quite like a pre trip to get into that holiday mode, albeit a little early and not that we really need anything to up the excitement level....but for those of you who have asked, here it is!!

For those that don`t know us, we are Carole`n`Tom...a very happily married couple from the United Kingdom who have been married just over 31 years and who love more or less everything Orlando and Florida have to offer and we keep coming back for more.

This will be our 26th trip to Orlando and our 5th for the Christmas period, accumulating over 430 nights at Universal Orlando hotels in that time period, yes the hotels are a huge part of our trips, we love every second we stay there whether it be Sapphire Falls or Royal Pacific, and again both those hotels will be part of this upcoming trip.

It only seems 5 minutes ago we were coming home from our May trip and everything that brought us, and missing our usual September trip for HHN was strange, but we decided to give it a miss and I do think we needed a break from it as it was becoming routine for us and that`s never good. We have been visiting at that time since 2007 and last year we didn`t enjoy it as much as we should have, it was a lot to do with just how busy the event has become and therefore we thought give it a miss and see how we feel next year. Also the lovely keishashadow spoiled us I think by introducing us to Howl o Scream at SeaWorld which was a phenomenal event and we enjoyed that much more than any of the Universal HHN nights in the end. I think we may have outgrown HHN as it is just too much of the same thing for us now after 16 years attending it.

So we decided late last year to book a Christmas trip instead. We love the Holidays and Christmas is my favourite time of the year so we were so looking forward to celebrating all that Universal and Orlando has to offer this time of year.

Our wonderful son Kyle decided that he had made his last trip with us in May, he has so many other plans right now which is as it should be of course, but, we will miss him along for the ride for sure. He is fabulous company and has the best nature of anyone I know, wicked sense of humour too and we`ve loved every second he was with us. Although it is also true that it`s lovely being a couple again, just the two of us is also wonderful and we absolutely adore our trips together too.

In case you haven`t read one of these TR`s before and have no clue what we look like, this was us in May this year on the patio area of Strong Water Bar and taken by the lovely Maggie. I like to be able to put a face to a name on TR`s I have to say.

We are not planners, never have been and the only thing we do like to plan is meeting up with friends old and new, and hopefully we`ll manage that this trip too. Dining reservations fill us with dread and unless it`s for a special occasion, we just don`t book anything, except the obvious of course like flights, hotels and so on, but that`s about the only things, we love being spontaneous and just wake up and decide what we`re doing that day.

But, the planning that we do have to began last year when we booked our flights with Virgin Atlantic which we tend to do first before anything else and even though we thought we were quite early with our dates, we had a rough idea of the time frame we wanted but can change to suit depending on availability, so looked online first then called up when we saw flights that had seats available and thought we were sorted. We can just book online, but we had a load of miles to use up and doing it online is a nightmare, so we called the number up and told her which flights we wanted and had the seats we wanted to book ready to share....

Well, the Premium seats on the way out to Orlando had disappeared while we were on the call.....these flights do fill up quickly, so the next best option for us were the front two exit row seats in Economy. We have had them once before when Virgin Atlantic flew the Jumbo Jet (much missed) they were decent, so, we have plenty of legroom as there is no one in front of us and delighted to say it saved us around $1400 going out in economy which is always nice. I hadn`t looked at how much cheaper it can be to do it that way so it was a nice surprise.

Who says I can`t find a bargain now and again.......😉

We did manage to get the Premium seats we wanted on the way home which is probably preferable to us as we can sleep better in Premium with the larger comfier seats. We were glad it wasn`t the other way round. We fly out on Friday November 17th and come home Sunday December 3rd.

On the way out we only get one suitcase each at 50lb each, plus hand luggage, which I think we can about manage, maybe....but I think we`ll go buy another suitcase while we`re out there for coming home as we do get 2 suitcases each coming home. Sounds like a plan!

If we have a lot on the way out we can take another suitcase and pay the charge which isn`t a fortune and might be worth it as we do take a lot of gifts out to folks as well as enough clothes for a 3 month stay....or so I`m told 🥴

I can`t disagree.....but, I`m of the mind I`d rather have too many clothes and not need them as the other way around! It is only for 16 nights, so maybe I will try to take less....again, I can only try!!

So, flights sorted, we knew our dates now we just needed to get everything else booked!! We have some lovely meets planned this trip and a few ideas for something a little different too, plus our usual park time too, we`re looking forward to the Parade as that is always so lovely and incredibly festive.

And of course Strong Water Tavern will feature heavily again!!

I`m glad to start this Pre trip report now as we are already more than half way through September, and we have just over 8 weeks to go.....so I hope you read along, please join in and enjoy it, it`s always lovely to read comments along the way, we have so many lovely posters on here that make these trip reports what they are.....❤️

Life has been crazy so I just noticed that you put up a new pre trip report - and that you'll be there at the same time we are! I haven't read the while thing yet so maybe you answered this, but are you planning to attend the OI Meetup while you're there? My son and I will be attending our first one on Dec 1 and 2 - we can't wait to ride Velocicoaster repeatedly!

Add another person to the list that has a trip that will overlap with yours! I haven’t been during the holiday season in probably 15 plus years! So looking forward to it and your fabulous photos sure are getting me in the mood. 😊 I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for you at Strong Water. It’s my favorite as well. 🥂

Last edited:

Life has been crazy so I just noticed that you put up a new pre trip report - and that you'll be there at the same time we are! I haven't read the while thing yet so maybe you answered this, but are you planning to attend the OI Meetup while you're there? My son and I will be attending our first one on Dec 1 and 2 - we can't wait to ride Velocicoaster repeatedly!

:welcome: back EveDallas....

Haven`t seen you for the longest time!!

Well, the simple answer to the OI event is, we`re not sure yet. It might be a last minute thing depending on a few folks, if we do go it`ll be Dec 1st. Our other option that night is dinner and Karaoke....lol.....

Glad to hear you`re doing the OI event with your son, we did it in 2021 and it was fabulous, we thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening, I`m sure you`ll love it too. And yes, getting on ride after ride is fabulous!! Don`t let us pass you if you see us!!!

Really good to see you though, hope everything is good with you :wave2:

Last edited:
Add another person to the list that has a trip that will overlap with yours! I haven’t been during the holiday season in probably 15 plus years! So looking forward to it and your fabulous photos sure are getting me in the mood. 😊 I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for you at Strong Water. It’s my favorite as well. 🥂

And another warm :welcome:to you too christophfam

Fabulous!!! Yes, you`ll have to give us a shout if you see us whether it be in the parks, or yes, probably in Strong Water Bar....lol.....it is the best place 🍹

I know you`ll thoroughly enjoy all the Holiday offerings after such a long break from seeing them. Yes, the pictures are building up the excitement for us too!!!

Glad to have you along for this one too, hope you enjoy it :wave2:

i-jPBJpGr-S.gif

I absolutely adore Christmas Trees.....well, I adore Christmas in general and some friends named me Mrs Christmas years back because of it. I love getting our trees and decorations up every year and like everyone else, feel sad when they come down. Although I do take them all down fairly early compared to some folks and everyone is amazed that by Jan 2nd I `m ready for everything to get back to normal, but when they`re up I love it.

The hotels all put on some lovely festive displays too and some of the Christmas trees are just beautiful.

We`ve enjoyed four previous Christmas trips and each time the trees in RP are slightly different colour wise and theme, but the entrance over the bridge remains the same in a simple and classic look, and it does look very warming and inviting.

i-wnvfnbM-X2.jpg

In 2021 Covid restrictions were still in place with masks and so on, so when the main lobby tree went up they didn`t do their usual gingerbread display which wrapped around the base of the tree. But still one of my two favourite trees in the hotels regardless.

I think we have a thousand pictures of us around this one since 2017 :blush:

i-cb6XcwF-X2.jpg

Downstairs outside Jake`s and Islands they have a smaller tree, but it`s very beautifully themed all the same.

i-sN3NrvC-X2.jpg

i-fKpz8nJ-X2.jpg

The decorations don`t stop in the public areas, all through the ballroom and convention areas they have placed adorable trees all the way along the walkway to keep up the festive feeling all through the hotel.

i-t9k8NSB-X2.jpg

These are all from the previous years when they did the gingerbread display around the trees.

i-ZxnZ8bF-X2.jpg

i-zmRSbbH-X2.jpg

i-6kPjvST-X2.jpg

The Chef`s who created these wonderful displays were on hand a couple of hours a day to build it all up and their art work is quite incredible as there are some amazingly intricate detailing on the display.

There was also a chef who stood and chatted to guests who wanted to ask about the work they were doing and they were always really interesting to chat to.

i-zD5DnmD-X2.jpg

The Club Lounge has a small tree, although they now have it sitting in the kids area of the lounge, it does fit better there as they can still have their trash bin and tray where they had it sitting on this year.

i-vNRXWzf-X2.jpg

Hard Rock Hotel is my least favourite of the premier hotels, and no surprises, I think their trees are the poorest of all the hotels too. Yes, not biased much am I :rotfl:

That vast lobby needs a much larger tree than they have every year, it looks completely lost and a little desolate.

i-HfpHx94-X2.jpg

This one looks completely lost in there!!

i-JRFsCv6-X2.jpg

The most majestic and impressive of all the trees for me is in Sapphire Falls.

It completely engulfs the others in size and sheer decoration value and sits by the huge picture window at the very rear of the equally impressive lobby. I think they had to get a tree that would befit such a huge area.

i-tw32sMf-X2.jpg

i-RJZcZh5-X2.jpg

They also had a lovely gingerbread display in Sapphire too, it would be lovely if they brought those back in all the hotels as it was quite something to see and to say nothing of the lovely gingerbread aroma when you were close enough.

i-rz8gDjx-X2.jpg

i-v6j9NtT-X2.jpg

i-cx7nTtm-X2.jpg

Portofino Bay has a beautiful tree outside in the Harbour Piazza, you really can`t miss it when you turn into the area and see it. It looks so much more impressive at night when it`s lit up, but the ones we have are a little blurry.

i-R2ZMhgN-X2.jpg

Their lobby however, has what I would consider a small tree for the size and style of the hotel, but it does look very elegant.

i-qHzBz5h-X2.jpg

So, just a few of the trees the hotels have, I do have some of Aventura, but they`re not very Christmassy and we`re in most of them.

Going to post a few of the ones around the park stores up next.

i-BVFPnvF-S.jpg

It's getting closer, and closer, and closer!!!!
Your Christmas tree photos are wonderful.
We've finalized our trip preparations with the hiring of a Tiffany Towncars for transport. I've heard wonderful things about them and I like to have transportation set up before. :):jumping1: Sorry for the annoying emoji, but I am that happy:)

Emoji`s are never annoying!! You can be as happy as you like on here!

I`m pleased you have your transport sorted out now, yes, they have a very good reputation from what I`ve read.

Glad you like the tree pictures, I genuinely do have hundreds of them, I may like Christmas trees a little too much 🎄

This TR is building the anticipation!! I am loving all the amazing photos 🎄🎄

Christmas is a magical season, and it’s easy to see how much you genuinely love it. 🥰

I can’t believe we are so close to your trip! The time will fly by, and then you will be all caught up in the hustle and bustle of seeing friends, enjoying the gorgeous decorations, and letting the Christmas spirit envelop you in pure Joy! 🤩🤩🤩

This TR is building the anticipation!! I am loving all the amazing photos 🎄🎄

Christmas is a magical season, and it’s easy to see how much you genuinely love it. 🥰

I can’t believe we are so close to your trip! The time will fly by, and then you will be all caught up in the hustle and bustle of seeing friends, enjoying the gorgeous decorations, and letting the Christmas spirit envelop you in pure Joy! 🤩🤩🤩

Thanks Maria, glad you like them all, it is absolutely my favourite season and Universal do it so well!!

I`m actually a little stunned at how quickly time is passing, I still have that feeling of not being organised, but can`t find anything so far I`ve missed. I`m sure I`m going to wake up in the middle of night in a panic over something lol.......

We are so looking forward to all you mentioned!! :santa:

Wow. 😍 So many beautiful Christmas trees. I'm sure I will also have way too many pictures of them. The gingerbread displays looked amazing. Would be so nice if they brought that back.

Yes, it would be a lovely thing for them to bring back, it was so popular with hotel guests.

Oh I think it`s the law you have to take hundreds of pictures of Christmas trees somewhere.....lol......they are very beautiful 🎄

I’m counting on your gut lol. Hoping for lovely weather too
It might be a last minute thing depending on a few folks, if we do go it`ll be Dec 1st.
I noticed the 2nd open yesterday. We’ve never done it before, figured a duplication of sorts since having APs. Well, not exactly I realize as lower crowds etc.

this year, needing to use some of the individual day tix I have stockpiled, it’s potentially looking more attractive vs buying the grinch tour we’ve done in the past

my main thot we wouldn’t do the food justice since the mr is so darn picky. :rolleyes1

I need to go back to your last year’s TR, if I remember correctly you had a comprehensive review of it.

I’m counting on your gut lol. Hoping for lovely weather too

I noticed the 2nd open yesterday. We’ve never done it before, figured a duplication of sorts since having APs. Well, not exactly I realize as lower crowds etc.

this year, needing to use some of the individual day tix I have stockpiled, it’s potentially looking more attractive vs buying the grinch tour we’ve done in the past

my main thot we wouldn’t do the food justice since the mr is so darn picky. :rolleyes1

I need to go back to your last year’s TR, if I remember correctly you had a comprehensive review of it.

Yes, no pressure on saskdw on guaranteeing us good weather......lol..

I don`t know if they up the amount of folks they let in to the OI event due to it`s popularity, but yes, it did seem deserted at times. I will say we didn`t really take advantage of the food options, we were too busy riding everything, we did have the chicken stingers from Fireaters Grill....they were decent, but the last time we got them back in our early years, they came coated in the spicy coating, now they just give you a regular chicken tender and a pot of Frank`s Hot Sauce, so they were disappointing, but nice......lol....

Here is the link to where the posts are from the OI event. We loved it.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...l-pacific-resort-nov-dec-2021.3856661/page-28

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter