HO-HO-HO..We`ll put the RUM in Pa-Rum-Pum-Pum-Pum! 16 holiday nights at SF & RPR. A Nov/Dec 2023 Trip Report

I did buy this shirt below, two of them, I got an extra one of them for a friend who loves the Grinch and yes, probably more than she likes some people at times, she did love it though in with her Christmas presents. She`s lovely, just has a very short tolerance for certain folks and isn`t shy on telling them.....lol....I`m glad she`s my friend!

I actually can`t find mine, have looked for it since we got home but it seems to have vanished into thin air, so who knows, I know I did come home with two of those so they weren`t left behind.
I totally relate to your friend. 😂 And I almost bought that shirt as well. Hopefully yours turns up soon. The ribs at the Ale House looked very good. And the Mai Tai as well... I think we may have been there many trips ago but not sure. It looks like a good choice for dinner though.

Well at least you have a spiral staircase at your second home SF!! 🤣

We ate at Finnegan's for the first time ever in December. Not sure how that's possible

The food was "ok". I've heard numerous people rant about them having the best fish & chips on Universal property for years so we gave it a go. They were ok, but IMO Lombard's and Jake's were both better.

lol.....I never thought about Sapphire`s!

Fish and chips in America has always disappointed us anywhere, someone told me it was something to do with the fat it`s cooked in and the heat of the South, so we never bother with them now as we`ve never found a decent one yet that compares with fish and real chips in the UK. And don`t get me started on those wedges they try to pass off as chips :rotfl:

I have always been disappointed with Finnegans whenever we tried it, but that salad.....well, hard to go wrong with a salad, but it is lovely.

Jake`s years ago, way back to 2009 used to do a lovely fish and chips, very different to what they offer today...... 😁

i-WVXnd2c-X2.jpg

I totally relate to your friend. 😂 And I almost bought that shirt as well. Hopefully yours turns up soon. The ribs at the Ale House looked very good. And the Mai Tai as well... I think we may have been there many trips ago but not sure. It looks like a good choice for dinner though.

lol.....I think some people do have that effect on us all at times!! Still can`t find it, we did search today but nowhere to be found, I think I may have given it to another friend as part of their Christmas gifts!!!

Ale House is good, but not as faultless as it used to be somehow, it`s decent but not sure we`ll go in September for food. However, those ribs were very, very nice!!!

Had to have another rum of course 😉

We enjoyed our first meal at Finnegan's. We had the pretzel with cheese dip appetizer and I had the Guinness beef stew, it was nice and not too much in the middle of the day. My eldest had the Beyond meat shepherd's pie, and I think my mom had the regular version. With some nice cold pints, it was a very relaxing break. I would definitely return for that pretzel bread alone!

lol.....I think some people do have that effect on us all at times!! Still can`t find it, we did search today but nowhere to be found, I think I may have given it to another friend as part of their Christmas gifts!!!

Ale House is good, but not as faultless as it used to be somehow, it`s decent but not sure we`ll go in September for food. However, those ribs were very, very nice!!!

Had to have another rum of course 😉
What's your favorite time to visit the parks? Just curious. We have been in summer twice and then this year over Thanksgiving. I would love to do a trip just hubby and I to HHN one year.

We enjoyed our first meal at Finnegan's. We had the pretzel with cheese dip appetizer and I had the Guinness beef stew, it was nice and not too much in the middle of the day. My eldest had the Beyond meat shepherd's pie, and I think my mom had the regular version. With some nice cold pints, it was a very relaxing break. I would definitely return for that pretzel bread alone!

Everyone raves about pretzels, especially the ones at Jake’s, but I never discovered the appeal of them somehow……I think I need to give them another chance at some point.

Glad you enjoyed your meals there……we’ll definitely go back for cockatiels and that salad alone ::yes::

What's your favorite time to visit the parks? Just curious. We have been in summer twice and then this year over Thanksgiving. I would love to do a trip just hubby and I to HHN one year.

Definitely May or September, guaranteed hot weather for sure.

We used to love HHN and went for many years, but we‘re done with it and weirdly have completely lost interest in it now, but if you’ve never been you should definitely give it a go and yes, a trip with just you and your husband would be lovely.

We do love our family trips, but just being a couple too is lovely when it’s just two of you, I’d recommend it for sure :love:

caught up :)

Your very first foot - the first person to visit you in the new year - should traditionally be a tall, dark-haired man. Said to go way back to the Viking invasions, as Vikings were typically fairer haired, so the arrival of a blonde man could have meant trouble and danger! Although Kyle was our first footer this year and is neither blonde nor dark.....so who knows!! I don`t know anyone who still practices these traditions today.
Yes, you do :rolleyes1 . Although I draw the line at the no seafood (lobster that day.
Marie Kondo says that folks who tidy their kitchens end up losing weight so here's hoping!
my problem divesting myself of ”my stuff” is nearly everything gives me joy.
then we poured a fake Bailey`s which was very nice of an afternoon treat.
“Failey’s”. since i don’t do it straight, mostly in lieu of creamer in coffee, have found the knockoffs to sub in well enough.
The food was "ok". I've heard numerous people rant about them having the best fish & chips on Universal property for years so we gave it a go. They were ok, but IMO Lombard's and Jake's were both better
IDK, even going back decades, thot it was just ok. even Lombard‘s has gotten to point where I won’t order it, that whole coating just sliding off the filet is rather disturbing.
Fish and chips in America has always disappointed us anywhere, someone told me it was something to do with the fat it`s cooked in and the heat of the South,
the heat of FL in general tends to turn me off of heavily battered/fried food. However, do think the humidity is an big issue with bread, baked goods & fried foods holding up there.

Curious, what oil do they tend to use in your neck of the woods to fry food?

peanut oil used to be the go-to here as that high smoking point, too many folk have nut allergies, rarely see it used commercially.
Everyone raves about pretzels, especially the ones at Jake’s, but I never discovered the appeal of them somehow……I think I need to give them another chance at some point.

Glad you enjoyed your meals there……we’ll definitely go back for cockatiels and that salad alone ::yes::
Both are good, i give the nod to their pretzels over Margaritaville.

meant to ask, did the donut in the tomato soup ever re-materialize at Jakes? Not my fav, know many who adored that dish.

We tried the ones at Jake's in December. I'm not a big pretzel guy, but they were pretty good. I would have them again. My wife really liked them.

Looks like a lovely day. I always enjoyed the Jaws area as it’s very much like home. I’ve seen the original fisherman statue. I hope those from New England know the reference when they see it.

I enjoy ale house. When I lived in Orlando, my friends and I always enjoyed ale house for a taste and inexpensive meal. We were college students so our tastes were limited.

caught up :)

Yes, you do :rolleyes1 . Although I draw the line at the no seafood (lobster that day.

my problem divesting myself of ”my stuff” is nearly everything gives me joy.

“Failey’s”. since i don’t do it straight, mostly in lieu of creamer in coffee, have found the knockoffs to sub in well enough.

IDK, even going back decades, thot it was just ok. even Lombard‘s has gotten to point where I won’t order it, that whole coating just sliding off the filet is rather disturbing.

the heat of FL in general tends to turn me off of heavily battered/fried food. However, do think the humidity is an big issue with bread, baked goods & fried foods holding up there.

Curious, what oil do they tend to use in your neck of the woods to fry food?

peanut oil used to be the go-to here as that high smoking point, too many folk have nut allergies, rarely see it used commercially.

Both are good, i give the nod to their pretzels over Margaritaville.

meant to ask, did the donut in the tomato soup ever re-materialize at Jakes? Not my fav, know many who adored that dish.

Glad you`re all caught up!!

I always have a seafood starter Christmas Day and New Years Day.......if someone tells me I can`t do something, I tend to do it anyway!!

Here we have a choice of places and the way they cook fish and chips. The best ones are cooked in beef dripping, a more natural thing for humans to process that processed oils, but everything thinks it`s ultra unhealthy......certainly not something you`d want to eat ever night, but so tasty. Some places do use veg oil, but our local places we use are all beef dripping.

We`ve never had a decent fish and chips in Florida and I think your explanation makes sense as to why.

I don`t think they plan to bring back the doughnut in the tomato soup, not something I`d ever opt for either, but yes, it was popular with folks.

Yes, there is a copycat over here called Carolans, it`s ok but not as nice as that Michael`s brand.....I`ll buy that again 😉

We tried the ones at Jake's in December. I'm not a big pretzel guy, but they were pretty good. I would have them again. My wife really liked them.

Everyone has told me Jake`s pretezels are good, just never tried them. It`s nice when you find something you like that you don`t expect.

Looks like a lovely day. I always enjoyed the Jaws area as it’s very much like home. I’ve seen the original fisherman statue. I hope those from New England know the reference when they see it.

I enjoy ale house. When I lived in Orlando, my friends and I always enjoyed ale house for a taste and inexpensive meal. We were college students so our tastes were limited.

I did read up on the fisherman`s statue, I don`t think many folks know about it to be honest.

Ale House has always been a standard decent place to eat, yep, cheap and cheerful, can`t really go wrong there and they do not too bad a cocktail!!!

Happy New Year Carole!!

I'm trying to catch up as usual and see what everyone got up to for the holidays. Loved looking at all your pics of the parks decorated for the holidays and of course all the restaurants and foods you ate and drank lol...

I have to admit I have an ulterior motive today - I remember you talking about a restaurant you've been to repeatedly I think at one of the Universal resorts that has a great shrimp and toast kind of dish with a butter sauce? Am I hallucinating? Asking because we will be in the area in March - mostly doing Disney stuff but also looking for some restaurants to try.

My mom isn't very mobile so we'll have to drive and park places...so I was thinking hotel restaurants might be an easier thing for her to do? I am a luddite and can't figure out how to search your TR's but I know you have loads of great US and offsite restaurants that you have reviewed...can you happen to think of any others where the parking situation is easy and the walking would be minimal for my mom? Any thoughts would be great (and anyone from the peanut gallery too :)) since you have loads of fans!!

Happy New Year Carole!!

I'm trying to catch up as usual and see what everyone got up to for the holidays. Loved looking at all your pics of the parks decorated for the holidays and of course all the restaurants and foods you ate and drank lol...

I have to admit I have an ulterior motive today - I remember you talking about a restaurant you've been to repeatedly I think at one of the Universal resorts that has a great shrimp and toast kind of dish with a butter sauce? Am I hallucinating? Asking because we will be in the area in March - mostly doing Disney stuff but also looking for some restaurants to try.

My mom isn't very mobile so we'll have to drive and park places...so I was thinking hotel restaurants might be an easier thing for her to do? I am a luddite and can't figure out how to search your TR's but I know you have loads of great US and offsite restaurants that you have reviewed...can you happen to think of any others where the parking situation is easy and the walking would be minimal for my mom? Any thoughts would be great (and anyone from the peanut gallery too :)) since you have loads of fans!!

Happy New Year to you Kathy.....

lol....you`re not hallucinating, I think I know which dish you mean, it`s the Camarones from Strong Water Bar....yes, lemon buttery sauce with beautiful toasted bread....it`s a gorgeous dish and the shrimp are always huge!!!

i-S4xnxhS-X2.jpg

All the TR are listed on all posts I write, I have them all from 2014 down there, you just need to click on one :thumbsup2

I think most good restaurants have decent parking outside, certainly most that we go to have. Are there any types of food you`re particularly fond of??? The restaurants down at the Orlando eye consist of walking from the parking garage, so maybe not ideal, some on Dr Phillips have parking outside some you do have to walk a little, so with mobility issues it could be difficult. But let us know what type of food you`re looking for. Yes, recommendations most welcome......

Glad to see you though, and not long till March!!!

Bought 2 bottles here on sale last year. I ahem rehomed the one in a large gift basket of spirits for DiL. She had never tried baileys! Now, on the appropriate road to ruin :coffee:

lol.....that`s a good road to be on with fun companions usually!!!

She`d never tried Bailey`s!!! Glad you were there to introduce her to a little taste of goodness...... 🤣

All caught up.

I decided to take the chance and bought the two trays, two sets of plates and the lantern to the checkout area and had them sent to our room, I`d worry about the weight later!!!! I could see Tom inwardly sigh and think we were going to need two new suitcases not just one!!!
Those Potter Christmas trays, plates, Cookie Jar and candles looked wonderful. I wish I had picked some of those things up. Always next year. Glad to hear you purchased some.

During HHN it is incredible and for Christmas they managed to mix a Holiday feel while keeping the horror theme too with nods to Frankensteins monster and the little girl, if you`ve ever seen the original Frankenstein movie, you`ll get it.
The Halloween Boutique is so pretty. That is awesome that they incorporated the Universal Monsters so artistically into the decor for Christmas.

Amatista is a very nice restaurant with a lovely menu, it is light and incredibly airy as well as being well spaced out, we`ve always had good food here and service is always top notch, some of the staff have been here since it opened.
I really like Amatista the staff there are so nice and they are always willing to correct issues with their food if there is a problem. It is a nice open inviting dining area.

I’am looking forward to doing their Mother’s Day brunch one of these days after reading about it in your May reports it sounds wonderful.

offerings which was chicken fajitas which the chicken is somehow missing from the pictures....but the usual cheese, biscuits, salad and they do have wraps, cheese, sour cream and salsa along with chips to go with it all.
The food at the RP club lounge looks good.

The guy behind me kept hitting me with the blaster, I hit him with mine and we spent more time apologising to each other rather than actually being involved in the game before I gave up and just stood till we were done.....but it was complete and utter tosh and I had a face like a smacked @r$£ when we came off it......yes, we understood what we were shooting at, or trying to, many folks had no clue, but overall this is something we`ll never waste another minute on. What a complete and utter waste of time, space and money!!
I have heard a lot of feed back on this experience. It seems you either love it or hate it. My sister and I did not bother to do it in September. I think this is geared for the younger crowd that are into this sort of gaming.

I`d find Earl the Squirrel and he is rather easy to find if you know where to look of course.
I think the Earl the Squirrel is funny and kinda cute. Such a fuss over a little tree rodent. I love it. They have fun merch for Earl the Squirrel.

Every time we head towards the entrance of DA we are always reminded of the time a good few years ago we were standing outside thinking where to go next and a couple came up to us holding a map and asked us if there was anything worth seeing behind those bricks...... :rotfl:
I told my older sister who lives in Florida a few years ago to go and see DA. She rode right past it on her scooter. I asked her to call me when she got there. I had to tell her to go back to the brick entrance area to enter DA.

yes, neither of us likes Butterbeer!!! However, I`m told we shouldn`t admit to that as Potter fans, but we just don`t!!
I can tolerate a sip of Butterbeer. I know there are fans of it. I see folks chugging it down in Hogsmeade and DA. It is a rich drink.

My sister tried the Butterbeer ice cream at Florean’s in September and she liked it.

We had a lovely visit to Scotland,
I‘am so glad to hear you had a nice visit in Scotland with your family.

Kyle did a 5K run in a town near the hotel we stayed in on Christmas Day itself and came first!!!! He was over the moon with that result and it was nice as we had a few things to celebrate this Christmas.
Congratulations to Kyle on his win. He has really taken to running and obviously has a talent for it.

Pictures are wonderful. You have captured the magic of Diagon Alley.

Great food ideas and photos of yummy food.

Looking forward to reading more.

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 21ST

We slept so well last night, I hoped we were finally over that awful jetlag.....and this is the easy way travelling, it`s much worse going home, but a few good sleeps is usually enough for us.

Took our time this morning as we had no plans till lunchtime when we were meeting our favourite guy for lunch and we couldn`t wait!!!

1704811151765.gif

First though we got showered and dressed and slowly meandered over to RP for a very lazy breakfast and on the way over the little Christmas elves had been working through the night and all the behind the scenes trees were all up now.....it looked much better!! I did wonder if the listening fairies had heard me as I did complain fairly loudly that they weren`t up when we arrived...... 😉

i-XKJLL4q-X2.jpg

i-pfF92WH-X2.jpg

I`m not quite sure why I only have a picture of some doughnuts from the breakfast offerings, but that seems to be the only picture from today. I don`t mind the odd glazed doughnut, but never quite saw the appeal of chocolate ones, however they are very popular and not just with kids. Their pastries and little mini muffins are very nice I have to say.

i-tfFjzsS-X2.jpg

We always have a leisurely breakfast in the mornings as we are never in a rush to go anywhere, but as we had no plans till lunchtime we were extra leisurely this morning and it was lovely to see the JP family again, we really were so happy to have met them and we got on well so it was a nice way to pass some time as neither of us were in any rush, so it was a very pleasant way to start the day.

We did sit a long time but eventually we headed back over to Sapphire to pick up the car keys and head off to the Mall at Millenia, parking wasn`t too bad considering the time of year and we got quite near the mall which we weren`t expecting.

Inside they have the most beautiful tree, it is huge and one we always have to take a million pictures of it and nice to see there weren`t a million folks around it today.

This Mall is our favourite of all the Malls and outlet centres around, it is immaculately clean and has a good range of stores for everyone, especially Bath & Body which is one of my favourites and several friends too of course!!!! Yes, I came with a list this time again......I did remind them we do have B&B in the UK now, but.....nope, I don`t think they heard me....☺️

They also have a very good food court and we have enjoyed several lunches at various places around the central area, nothing has ever disappointed us.

i-h23Gdvf-X2.jpg

i-66SSkQb-X2.jpg

We had deliberatley arrived early as we wanted to pick up a few bits and bobs from Bloomingdales, mainly stuff from Clinique and bottle of Chanel Chance, they have the great big bottles here we don`t get in the UK, but first we stopped off to look at the Christmas display where a very jolly Father Christmas was entertaining some very excited children, some of whom were dressed amazingly christmassy.....they were all beautiful though.

i-ddgMVKr-X2.jpg

i-9vQH5R3-X2.jpg

A rather patient Tom managed to get a picture of the man himself, he waited till there were no kids in the picture and was rewarded by a wave from a very smiley Santa.....:santa:

i-C3FHkgh-X2.jpg

i-Qdvv4jz-X2.jpg

i-7kX9m7f-X2.jpg

We got what I wanted in Bloomingdale`s and maybe an extra little thing or two, I always claim not to be a shopper, but there are times when the little devil on the wrong shoulder wins out 😈

A quick visit, and I`m instructed it is a quick visit into Tiffany we hoped to see the guy we`ve dealt with for several years in there, but it`s his day off, not that we`re buying anything but it`s always nice to say hello. I managed a quick wander around, but I was being hurtled very gently out the door by my lovely husband....wonder why!!!!

i-Psf9cMX-X2.jpg

It was time to go meet Raymond now and we had only been there a few minutes when he arrived and it is always so good to see him!!! We love this guy so much and are very fortunate to call him a friend. We`ve known him over 10 years now and very fortunate to be able to keep in regular contact with him between trips. During covid, where my stress levels of not travelling were through the roof, his contact and reassurances that we would get back to America one day really helped a lot, I think Tom was grateful he talked me off that high anxiety a few times simply by being there.

He had suggested California Kitchen then later expressed gratitude we didn`t have to deal with horrible crowds of Holiday shoppers....I think we were lucky it was so quiet this near to Thanksgiving.

We had never gone to this restaurant before and I`m not sure why as the menu was varied and very nice and we`ll definitely go back another time as we really enjoyed it.

i-PS2fkhb-X2.jpg

We got a table straight away and I think it took us forever to order as we just chatted non stop, yes, we email but nothing beats face to face conversations and we had a lot to chat about. We did however manage to order some drinks and Raymond and I both ordered the Red Berry Sangria and Tom had a coke.

i-PxcQmqG-X2.jpg

I think our poor waitress asked about 3 times if we were ready to order, finally we all studied the menu, Raymond had been to one of these restaurants out West, but not this one, however he had heard good things about it, so we knew it would be nice.

i-XxM6GpM-X2.jpg

Raymond got the Cobb salad and like us always asks for it without blue cheese, but forgot, so he was scraping it off the way we would do.....bleurgh.....blue cheese is the worst!!

i-xtMxFKn-X2.jpg

I ordered the bbq chicken pizza and added pineapple, Tom went for the pepperoni and you may think his pizza looks a little odd.....and you`d be right....

The poor waitress dropped half of Tom`s on the floor.....lol.....it was quite funny as we could all see it happening and slowly watched it slide off the tray as she tried to serve it....but no one could stop it and we all laughed as we heard the lot plop on the ground!!!

i-9L4prkm-S.gif

i-DSC3rFx-X2.jpg

i-DPD42Cj-X2.jpg

The poor girl was mortified, she insisted he get a fresh one, but Tom was equally insistent what he had was more than enough, which for lunch was still a lot and they were very tasty, the dough was maybe a little tough for me near the end, but I used my knife and fork then, they were both lovely and I did love their bbq sauce.

We chatted all afternoon about everything under the sun and time flew past, we were so glad we had managed to meet up on his day off, but we`d have rearranged anything to suit him as we have plenty of time, we did plan to meet up again later in the trip too but this had been lovely and one of our favourite ways to spend time with someone who is so special to us.

We did of course get several pictures!

Definitely my favourite guy 🥰

i-bP9hDsr-X2.jpg

We said our goodbyes for now here as I needed to go to the bathroom, but we`d catch up later and after we went to the bathroom Tom spotted a new place that was filled with something Kyle would have loved......

1704818441461.jpeg

i-84HkJwk-X2.jpg

i-LSm62L6-X2.jpg

i-rjgkqZV-X2.jpg

i-HcQQpTH-X2.jpg

It was the weirdest timing......as we were gazing adoringly at these delicacies, I heard my email alert go off and Kyle was sending us a quick note....I think he sensed the cake.....🤣

Back home for us, the drive was quick as we seemed to be lucky with the lights, sometimes you really lose the will to live sitting at traffic lights, but, we parked and dropped our purchases in the room and headed to the lounge...so a quick freshen up then headed over to RP and we didn`t know we were going to have a lovely and unexpected meet with a lovely Dis lady 😊

All caught up.

Those Potter Christmas trays, plates, Cookie Jar and candles looked wonderful. I wish I had picked some of those things up. Always next year. Glad to hear you purchased some.

The Halloween Boutique is so pretty. That is awesome that they incorporated the Universal Monsters so artistically into the decor for Christmas.

I really like Amatista the staff there are so nice and they are always willing to correct issues with their food if there is a problem. It is a nice open inviting dining area.

I’am looking forward to doing their Mother’s Day brunch one of these days after reading about it in your May reports it sounds wonderful.

The food at the RP club lounge looks good.

I have heard a lot of feed back on this experience. It seems you either love it or hate it. My sister and I did not bother to do it in September. I think this is geared for the younger crowd that are into this sort of gaming.

I think the Earl the Squirrel is funny and kinda cute. Such a fuss over a little tree rodent. I love it. They have fun merch for Earl the Squirrel.

I told my older sister who lives in Florida a few years ago to go and see DA. She rode right past it on her scooter. I asked her to call me when she got there. I had to tell her to go back to the brick entrance area to enter DA.

I can tolerate a sip of Butterbeer. I know there are fans of it. I see folks chugging it down in Hogsmeade and DA. It is a rich drink.

My sister tried the Butterbeer ice cream at Florean’s in September and she liked it.

I‘am so glad to hear you had a nice visit in Scotland with your family.

Congratulations to Kyle on his win. He has really taken to running and obviously has a talent for it.

Pictures are wonderful. You have captured the magic of Diagon Alley.

Great food ideas and photos of yummy food.

Looking forward to reading more.

Everyone who got something Potter for a gift loved it, I ended up only keeping one plate and a cookie jar!!

You would enjoy the Mother`s Day Brunch it is very good. It is a lovely restaurant with very nice staff too, most of whom have been there for a long time.

I think it`s common apparently for folks to miss the entrance....lol.....yes Earl is very cute.

Butterbeer ice cream and fudge are the only two ways we like it, yes, it`s just far too sweet and sticky to have more than a sip. So many folks love it though.

Thank you, yes, Kyle is a star when it comes to running......and he loves it too, he`s started marathon training and enjoying it....I can`t imagine.....lol.......

I`m glad you like the pictures, the parks are a joy to photograph to be honest ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter